Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do u love shield hero
Yeah I hate women
I think I may
I doubt it
It's poo poo from an rear end mate
View Results

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Shinjobi posted:

I miss log horizon.

I love series that have systems that are exploited/twisted in fun ways (I majored in Cryptology and game theory) yet all the ones that are interesting tend to be gross in various ways (no game no life, death march, etc.). I wish I could find more, but I get hooked on any that are front of me, such as Log Horizon and Overlord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I never read manga, so I get scared when someone mentions something about an anime turning (or going) bad. I'm usually trying to find the next grimgar of fantasy and ash or alderamin on the sky, things I watched randomly and got absolutely hooked on. Goblin Slayer didn't seem too bad, but Death march had me cringing, but the cringe parts seemed so tacked on like they didn't further the plot or ideas of the show at all, and were easily skippable/forgettable.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Junpei Hyde posted:

Crunchyroll hand picked this poo poo

I checked out a random ninja series on Crunchyroll and all the ninjas got naked, so I'm unsure what the gently caress is going on with the service.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I never knew of the term isekai before, but after googling it, it appears that like 50% of all anime is that (Inuyasha, etc.)

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Ahh OK, the ones I like the most are "I'm weak, but I'm going to abuse/cheat the game systems in unexpected/interesting ways to become overpowered". If Death March removed its crap, it would be exactly what I'm looking for.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I'd been holding off on watching because of this thread (and because the first half of episode was so boring I dropped it), but I've watched the first 6 episodes and it's not bad. Was the manga worse or something? This seems pretty inoffensive. Art work's not bad. It's like incredibly average.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

ViggyNash posted:

So, hot take.

Slavery is very bad and should ban hammered with extreme prejudice.

End of take.

Most people agree, but we are having issues with getting rid of it 100% in the US of A. Maybe in a hundred more years?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Paracelsus posted:

Slavery (and other forms of involuntary servitude) still exists in plenty of places around the world, mostly as part of underground economies or criminal networks but also for domestic help. It being banned and taboo is, historically speaking, a very recent development and not one that is fully accepted on a functional level.

There is nothing underground about the US's prison system enacting literal slavery. Most people are cool with it.

Mulderman posted:

I'll cut you a deal. We can have a 2 page (no more) discussion about said issues. But ONLY after Shield Hero manages to become good.

Ok.. Good might be setting the bar too high. Decent. We'll have a 2 page discussion when Shield Hero becomes decent.

The Hero vs Hero duel was good. I laughed when he threw those chomping things at the spear dude.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

dogsicle posted:

this thread

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
El-Hazard?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Well Naruto is/was insanely popular and that had villages of children slaughtering each other, so the answer is always, that's Anime and Manga!

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

pentyne posted:

Broke brain people regardless of gender love to emphasize with a downtrodden underdog who gets revenge and justs horrifically shits all over his enemies.

"What about him sentencing his accuser to getting raped to death?"

"...its a fantasy story don't take it seriously geez" everyone who can't understand why toxic incel redpill depictions in media are actually harmful.

What show was that...sounds gross.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Darth Walrus posted:

No, I'm saying that Shield Hero endorses its protagonists' misogynistic bullshit, whereas Naruto's entire plot is about 'war sucks, can we not do it, please?'. 'Other shows have freaky poo poo in them too' is not a defence if those shows treat the freaky poo poo as a bad thing that shouldn't happen, whereas yours revels in being utterly gross.

Not really, the MC was pretty much reviled (right or wrong) from the first episode. I watch some garbage for sure, but this was so tame (in plot and depiction) it leads me wondering if there is a different edit out there or something. It was like a slightly conveluted "hero journey" almost by the numbers.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Darth Walrus posted:

So you don't understand the difference between a work's perspective and the perspective of the characters within that work, then? Naruto having a character who's a frothing 'hahaha war is extremely good' psycho doesn't make it a pro-war work.

I don't try to dig that deep into it, otherwise, I wouldn't like Pokemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Lurking Haro posted:

The first season ends with him becoming the ruler of Raphtalia's village and buying people back from the slaver, who rubs his hand and looks forward for more business.

He does have trust issues, which is why he never removed the crest on Raphtalia (and she put it back on when she had it removed :psyduck:) and Filo got a monster version when she went on rampages in the beginning.

Wait, I just watched this, and that is not what is happening. He is saying he hopes he buys more in the future, but he is talking with his assistant about how that now that he has his own village, he won't need slaves, and will not be around for a while.

Is there like a season 2 episode 0 or something that spells this out?