Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
TLK's not a great film but the climax of Cybertron slamming into Earth is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Who does CGI for most releases like TLK? I imagined computer graphics would have replaced cartoon drawing in the 'exported this to the 3rd world for slave wages' strategy.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I believe ILM still does the heavy lifting on the Transformers movies, but most studios do at least some of the work in cheaper countries (ILM in particular has a facility in Singapore).
It's mostly the less creative work like camera tracking and rotoscoping, but there's been a recent push to have the less expensive parts of the studios do more of the creative work as well.
The place I work for did the drone attack and underwater stuff in TF5, and the way we work is that anything that needs rapid creative feedback (like animation or matte painting) or heavy rendering infrastructure (lighting and FX simulations) is done locally, and the stuff that is purely technical (like camera tracking and rotoscoping) is done by our team in India.

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Second-hand embarrassment is a hell of a thing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I don't know if this is what you're talking about, but I just rewatched Infinity War and the Titan fight between Thanos and Iron Man / Dr. Strange / Spiderman / GotG crew feels really weirdly cramped and small-set-ish, despite it all being CGI and therefore open to any and all possibilities.

I'm don't know how to describe this in *~filmic language~*, so maybe I can use some examples to show what I mean: [snip]

You're right on the money. The trailer I was referring to was this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCSNFZKbhZE

I shouldn't be surprised because of course Marvel wouldn't deviate from its house style at this point. But poo poo, I can't help but be annoyed with how cheaply and poorly composed almost every shot in that trailer looks. Especially the ending shot of the trailer that's suppose to evoke something righteous and epic, but it just falls flat on its face with regards to visual execution matching the tone.

Basically, the aesthetic of that final trailer shot doesn't properly match the scale and scope of the context: it's essentially the climax of over a decade's worth of interconnected narratives spanning across 21 films, culminating to a point where we see the big three of Iron Man, Cap, and Thor walking together to face off against Thanos... so why make it a cheap looking tracking shot of the lower half of the heroes' bodies with little to no motion in the scene (anywhere else other than them walking and the camera tracking), that's completely flat with almost no variance in color, texture, or depth? It's annoying as gently caress. Thanos almost gets lost in the background because of the muddy, almost one-note color palette too. Just look at this:

It's even worse in motion. Maybe it'll play out different in the actual film, but I'm not holding my breath.

[edit] Even Iron Man blends into the background during the same sequence:

teagone fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 3, 2019

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You guys get the whole "we can't tell tom holland anything" is just a running joke and an intentional thing, not something real, right?

https://twitter.com/iamgeekingout/status/990960766428696576
I'm just happy that this was from a year ago, because for a brief minute there I was under the impression that Spiderman either survived or was resurrected in the sequel, which is just utterly ludicrous and would never happen after the shocking and definitive ending of Infinity War.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gorn Myson posted:

I'm just happy that this was from a year ago, because for a brief minute there I was under the impression that Spiderman either survived or was resurrected in the sequel, which is just utterly ludicrous and would never happen after the shocking and definitive ending of Infinity War.

That has been the biggest rumor for the movie, but I find that rumor to be completely absurd and 99% unlikely.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
its so dark and somber its super serial

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Spider-Man is dead, get over it nerds. We saw him turn into dust ON SCREEN.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
wait for my new hit youtube sensation series "what if avengers endgame was in color"

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

teagone posted:

You're right on the money. The trailer I was referring to was this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCSNFZKbhZE

I shouldn't be surprised because of course Marvel wouldn't deviate from its house style at this point. But poo poo, I can't help but be annoyed with how cheaply and poorly composed almost every shot in that trailer looks. Especially the ending shot of the trailer that's suppose to evoke something righteous and epic, but it just falls flat on its face with regards to visual execution matching the tone.

Basically, the aesthetic of that final trailer shot doesn't properly match the scale and scope of the context: it's essentially the climax of over a decade's worth of interconnected narratives spanning across 21 films, culminating to a point where we see the big three of Iron Man, Cap, and Thor walking together to face off against Thanos... so why make it a cheap looking tracking shot of the lower half of the heroes' bodies with little to no motion in the scene (anywhere else other than them walking and the camera tracking), that's completely flat with almost no variance in color, texture, or depth? It's annoying as gently caress. Thanos almost gets lost in the background because of the muddy, almost one-note color palette too. Just look at this:

It's even worse in motion. Maybe it'll play out different in the actual film, but I'm not holding my breath.

[edit] Even Iron Man blends into the background during the same sequence:

I disagree. That's just one scene's color palette and it's tonally appropriate for a fight they feel like they're destined to lose. Plus it's similar to the palette from the first fight with Thanos, except that was at sunset and this is at twilight, which fits the events in a doomsday clock way.

I do hope that's just the start of the fight and it gets psychedelic later though

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Daddy Thanos posted:

I disagree. That's just one scene's color palette and it's tonally appropriate for a fight they feel like they're destined to lose. Plus it's similar to the palette from the first fight with Thanos, except that was at sunset and this is at twilight, which fits the events in a doomsday clock way.

Color palette aside, the shot construction itself is boring and uninteresting. How that particular scene looks to me comes off as lazy filmmaking imo. Sure, you can color grade the scene to look dreary and hopeless, but the way it's done in this scenario just looks bad. It's entirely possible to make that scene look tonally appropriate while also making it not look so visually uninspiring, but Marvel doesn't do that; they stick to their visual style and that style is crap. This same argument was brought up in the CBM thread regarding the scene where Thor is facing down a wounded Thanos in Infinity War.

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

i mean to be fair the effects work in the Transformers movies is like, the cream of the crop

It's not just that, though. Bay is really good at making things feel big, like they have weight. It's why he bases his special effects shots around real explosions, dust and debris, you get all the little, random things that the CGI artist might not put in. It's why he likes wide shots, with everything in the same shot, so you realise how far the robot got punched when it got punched. The magic duel between Strange and Thanos is two people hurling things at each other without them ever being in the same shot. We have no sense what these spells are doing to the surrounding terrain, which is a great way to sell how powerful something is.

There was a shot in a almost completely forgotten film called 'Musa.' It's a Korean medieval action film and it's really good. There's a scene where they rescue someone from a convoy, and in this scene, there's a great shot where it starts on the attacking party meeting the convoy's guards, pulls out, and moves over to the guy they're trying to rescue struggling with his bonds. It's a quick shot, but it makes it all seem so much bigger, just by showing you how much space is actually between these two things.

Also, watch Musa. I've not heard anyone else mention it, and it's dope.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

The magic duel between Strange and Thanos is two people hurling things at each other without them ever being in the same shot. We have no sense what these spells are doing to the surrounding terrain, which is a great way to sell how powerful something is.

This is a good point, and it really crystallizes the unspoken problems I had with Doctor Strange. There really isn't any logic for you to understand the moment-to-moment stakes of the action scenes in that movie other than vaguely understanding that someone is in peril, and setting so much of the movie in abstract, nonsensical spaces only makes it worse.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

What's funny is the Thanos/Strange magic fight is arguably one of the better action scenes the MCU has to offer, imo. Low bar, but it's what they got. The Voldemort Dumbledore duel from Order of the Phoenix did it way better though.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

teagone posted:

Marvel doesn't do that; they stick to their visual style and that style is crap.

This isn't really a thing at all. Last movie people were complaining the visual style of all the various movies were all over the place and it made collaboration movies too discordant because no one's areas or character design look like they exist on the same planet.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This isn't really a thing at all. Last movie people were complaining the visual style of all the various movies were all over the place and it made collaboration movies too discordant because no one's areas or character design look like they exist on the same planet.

Because I'm too lazy to screencap examples, have this instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpWYtXtmEFQ

It's a good entry essay into viewing the aesthetic of the MCU with a critical eye. But it's not just the color grading though, imo. Shot construction/blocking/composition is pretty mediocre throughout the MCU; boringly structured sequences of what should be exciting spectacle is something prevalent in the series. There's absolutely nothing ambitious in the actual filmmaking technique with these movies, and to me that's annoying because I want to see these characters portrayed in bombastic fashion with how much the stories have been built up over the years. I want the execution of the visuals to match the strength of the stories, but they don't.

teagone fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 4, 2019

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
The Avengers are beaten, bruised, and weary. Standing around a nearly-vanquished Thanos, their efforts have blackened the sky with fire and ash. Thanos is on one knee, holding his stomach wound, trying to stop himself from bleeding out. It is truly his last moment.

Thanos: "You...thought it was I that started this...that ran with this plan. No, I had help. I was just the pawn. I am not the only one to benefit from all of this."

The Avengers look at each other, confused. What is he talking about? Who controlled a being as mighty as Thanos? What MADMAN did all this? Skrillex starts blasting on the soundtrack as we enter slow motion. From behind a large rock, a shadow appears. Before we see who it is, we see each Avenger's stunned, disbelieving face.

Sam Rockwell's absolutely pointless dogshit character from Iron Man 2 appears, slow clapping.

Sam Rockwell: "You fell right into my trap. It was me. All along."

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I feel like the MCU movies are legit good movies and are fun to watch, however, they could be so much better with more work in the presentation. Such as the soundtracks, color grading, editing, etc. Marvel seems to just do a little bit above the bare minimum.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I feel like the MCU movies are legit good movies and are fun to watch, however, they could be so much better with more work in the presentation. Such as the soundtracks, color grading, editing, etc. Marvel seems to just do a little bit above the bare minimum.

:agreed:

They are good, entertaining movies. They wouldn't be so consistently well reviewed if they weren't. But super lazy filmmaking is rampant in the MCU, and the thing is, why would Marvel Studios ever try to challenge their mediocre stylistic tendencies when the movies they make generate a shitzillion dollars almost every time, regardless of how cheap and boring they appear? They won't, and probably never will because what movie needs legit creative inspiration when general audiences prioritize the fun of superhero novelty over artistic value in film. And to me, that's a shame.

This is just my own opinion though; I typically prioritize movies as an art medium first, before I see them as entertainment. A movie could have a basic bitch rear end story and characters, but if it has real strong direction/scoring and compelling visuals, I'm checked in.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My hope is that after Into the Spider-verse, things at Marvel will change. Then again we said that about Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2, that movie looked to have moved in the right direction, but it was just a one off change.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Sam Rockwell's absolutely pointless dogshit character from Iron Man 2 appears, slow clapping.

Sam Rockwell: "You fell right into my trap. It was me. All along."

Working together with Tim Blake Nelson from the Norton Hulk film, and Natalie Portmans character from Thor.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Mark Ruffalo grabs the reality stone and turns into Edward Norton for the rest of the film.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I basically have what are probably some of, if not the best seats in the world for this premiere. IMAX Laser 3D, Lincoln Square(2nd biggest screen in the world), first showing and only showing on opening day and the absolute 5 best seats in the theater.

Someone in New Jersey sold two tickets for $10k, for a theater that in no way matches up to Lincoln Square IMAX 3D experience.

I honestly wonder how much I could get for 2, if not all of those tickets.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I said come in! posted:

My hope is that after Into the Spider-verse, things at Marvel will change. Then again we said that about Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2, that movie looked to have moved in the right direction, but it was just a one off change.

Eh? I feel like both Ragnarok and Homecoming played around quite a bit with the formula.

Then again Ant-man 2 and Captain Marvel.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Finally got around to seeing Infinity War (I was way, way behind on the movies) and, uh, it's even more of a mess than I thought. Bought tickets to the opening weekend though, let's ride this train to hell.

quote:

Mark Ruffalo grabs the reality stone and turns into Edward Norton for the rest of the film.

No. He turns into Brad Pitt and defeats Thanos with soap bombs.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I don't know if this is what you're talking about, but I just rewatched Infinity War and the Titan fight between Thanos and Iron Man / Dr. Strange / Spiderman / GotG crew feels really weirdly cramped and small-set-ish, despite it all being CGI and therefore open to any and all possibilities.

I'm don't know how to describe this in *~filmic language~*, so maybe I can use some examples to show what I mean:

The scale of the lattice bits of Cybertron crashing into Earth in Transformers: The Last Knight is far, far more impressive and well-realized, and you really get the impression that it's this massive thing.

In the A:IF Titan fight, all the bits of debris feel, essentially, like an plane hanger that has rusted. Big, but not huge, even though the fight is very meaningful as it's the absolutely closest the team ever gets to stopping Thanos.

Then there's the final fight where the isolated pockets of fighting, like the Only-Gurls-Allowed fight that happens in an ugly ditch, or the woods fight, all feel small scale and deflate what is supposed to be the gravity of this grand fight.

Even in this last one, the camera pulls back and gives us a wide shot, and everything looks so puny.

The fights look small and "un-epic" despite what the script and score would have you believe. Also, to me, they're just buttcrack ugly.

(Sorry for the poor resolution of images, I just snipped them from YT clips.)

Holy poo poo those last 3 are unbelievably awful

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

DeimosRising posted:

Holy poo poo those last 3 are unbelievably awful

You know it's bad when they could pass as screenshots from the 90s Power Rangers show.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

AccountSupervisor posted:

I basically have what are probably some of, if not the best seats in the world for this premiere. IMAX Laser 3D, Lincoln Square(2nd biggest screen in the world), first showing and only showing on opening day and the absolute 5 best seats in the theater.

I'm going to the biggest imax in the world so suck it

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Quantum Shart posted:

Yeah, well, I'm seeing it on a Tuesday matinee the week after for less than $5. Eat that. :cool:

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

AccountSupervisor posted:

Someone in New Jersey sold two tickets for $10k, for a theater that in no way matches up to Lincoln Square IMAX 3D experience.

I honestly wonder how much I could get for 2, if not all of those tickets.

Eh? there are 2 showings that start before midnight, 3 if you count the late night 2:30am one.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

rawillkill posted:

Eh? there are 2 showings that start before midnight, 3 if you count the late night 2:30am one.

Specifically talking about the one and only IMAX Laser 3D showing on Friday at 230

Quantum Shart posted:

Yeah, and the Melbourne IMAX 3D is doing more than one showing a day, no idea why its so limited in NYC. IW was only shown that way throughout its run.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 5, 2019

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
After thinking on it a bit, while there's a lot wrong with Infinity War, what really, really sucked was how they undid Thor: Ragnarok, which is one of the very best MCU films (I mean that's not a high bar we all know, but still).

-Thor losing an eye was cool. Oh well, Rocket gives him a new one.
-Thor finds out he doesn't need Mjolnir, he was the loving god of thunder with or without it. Oh, Thanos beat him up? Nevermind, he needs a new Kratos axe.
-Where the gently caress did Korg go?
-"Asgard is not a place, it's a people. But those people are dead now."
-We're ready for rad as gently caress space adventures on this awesome loving spaceship that Thanos destroys like ten minutes after we leave Asgard, cool bro.
-Thor stops being the silly, fun Thor from Ragnarok and reverts to being the boring, stoic Thor from the lovely first two Thor movies.

I hope if/when they make Thor 4, they just pretend Infinity War/Endgame didn't happen.

edit: this is the potential badass space opera we were cheated out of

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 6, 2019

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Thor was kind of silly fun, but he wasn't full Kiwi like he was in Ragnarok.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Thor and Korg on their merry adventures :swoon:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What would you do with the remainder of Asgard? By wiping out the remaining Asgardians, a race of people that have been an investment for fans from the start of MCU, it raises the stakes and shows how brutal and evil Thanos is. It worked really well, way better than the alternative scenario where we were instead going to see Xandar completely destroyed by Thanos, a planet we barely see in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

I said come in! posted:

What would you do with the remainder of Asgard? By wiping out the remaining Asgardians, a race of people that have been an investment for fans from the start of MCU, it raises the stakes and shows how brutal and evil Thanos is. It worked really well, way better than the alternative scenario where we were instead going to see Xandar completely destroyed by Thanos, a planet we barely see in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1.

If the only thing you can think of to do with characters people like is to kill them, you might be a poo poo writer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Nail Rat posted:

After thinking on it a bit, while there's a lot wrong with Infinity War, what really, really sucked was how they undid Thor: Ragnarok, which is one of the very best MCU films (I mean that's not a high bar we all know, but still).

-Thor losing an eye was cool. Oh well, Rocket gives him a new one.
-Thor finds out he doesn't need Mjolnir, he was the loving god of thunder with or without it. Oh, Thanos beat him up? Nevermind, he needs a new Kratos axe.
-Where the gently caress did Korg go?
-"Asgard is not a place, it's a people. But those people are dead now."
-We're ready for rad as gently caress space adventures on this awesome loving spaceship that Thanos destroys like ten minutes after we leave Asgard, cool bro.
-Thor stops being the silly, fun Thor from Ragnarok and reverts to being the boring, stoic Thor from the lovely first two Thor movies.

I hope if/when they make Thor 4, they just pretend Infinity War/Endgame didn't happen.

edit: this is the potential badass space opera we were cheated out of

Isn't most of this down to Ragnarok and Infinity War being produced at the same time? Like going by Infinity War it's easy to get the impression that the only thing the Infinity War writers knew from the word go was that:

1. Mjolnir will be gone.
2. Hulk is with Thor.
3. They'll end up on a big space-ship.

I mean beyond the stuff you already mentioned entire characters are just gone (in a movie that otherwise doesn't shy away from small side characters getting screen-time) and the whole eye thing even feels like a last-minute change. Like they went 'oh poo poo what do you mean he loses his eye, quickly re-shoot his first scenes and fix it somehow'.