Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mel Mudkiper posted:

criticizing the movie for being big and fan-servicey seems like something of an empty criticism seeing as its basically the MCU victory lap

It also looks like poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

here's a spoiler for ya: this movie is going to be dogshit like all the other marvel films

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

A human heart posted:

here's a spoiler for ya: this movie is going to be dogshit like all the other marvel films

Nah, it'll be fine (tm)

you'll see it, you'll laugh a couple of times, you'll see things that should be spectacular but somehow aren't. You'll nod approvingly, you'll leave, and you'll never think about the film again.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Avengers: Endgame - A Historic Moment In Moviemaking

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

1stGear posted:

Avengers: Endgame - A Historic Moment In Moviemaking

Avengers: Endgame - The End of an Unprecedented Narrative Mosaic

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich
The leaks show Endgame is going to be even better than we thought

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It also looks like poo poo.

Post your body and I will post mine

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

every single twist in this movie is going to be super predictable and its gonna be a B- movie at best. these people are out of their loving minds

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
at this point I think "heh, marvel movies are bad" has become more insufferable than fawning Marvel praise

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The REAL Goobusters posted:

every single twist in this movie is going to be super predictable and its gonna be a B- movie at best. these people are out of their loving minds

"Thanos still demands your silence"

But he's the bad guy, why wouldn't I defy him

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

at this point I think "heh, marvel movies are bad" has become more insufferable than fawning Marvel praise
"Marvel movies are bad" is something that you see in comment sections and YouTube occasionally. "Marvel movies are masterpieces" is ubiquitous. This movie is going to review extremely well, it'll probably hit $2b and then everyone will stay and watch the post-credits bit and get excited about the next phase.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

$2 billion is a drop in the bucket. I think there's enough hype behind the movie to dethrone Avatar as the top worldwide grosser. Its running time might prevent that though. Maybe.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wonder if that guy who devised whatever formula for Quality he thought of and made a spreadsheet of every comic book movie in order is still updating.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Gorn Myson posted:

"Marvel movies are bad" is something that you see in comment sections and YouTube occasionally. "Marvel movies are masterpieces" is ubiquitous. This movie is going to review extremely well, it'll probably hit $2b and then everyone will stay and watch the post-credits bit and get excited about the next phase.

yeah i'll buy the equivalency when there are critics taking this franchise to task in equal measure as the paid-off drones who get starry eyed at premieres and drop generic praise the second the review embargo lifts

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

RBA Starblade posted:

I wonder if that guy who devised whatever formula for Quality he thought of and made a spreadsheet of every comic book movie in order is still updating.

Check this out: he's been vindicated by history.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

teagone posted:

$2 billion is a drop in the bucket. I think there's enough hype behind the movie to dethrone Avatar as the top worldwide grosser. Its running time might prevent that though. Maybe.

Avatar was only about 20 minutes shorter than Endgame is slated to be. FWIW.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Check this out: he's been vindicated by history.

I'm glad for him.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm glad for him.

I'm glad for him and terrified for us.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

A human heart posted:

Marvel films are never bad films, and this won't be a bad film either. Instead, they are aggressively mediocre. If you looked up mediocrity in dictionary, there would be an Avengers logo in the middle of it.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I don't know why people are worked up about spoilers when Dr. Strange already spoiled the whole dang thing!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

That's because you hang out here instead of somewhere where they insist Winter Soldier is the best spy film of all time or whatever.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Winter Soldier is really good. But yeah, it's no spy thriller. It's a comic book-rear end movie that has some spy stuff in it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

teagone posted:

Winter Soldier is really good. But yeah, it's no spy thriller. It's a comic book-rear end movie that has some spy stuff in it.

That they completely abandon after the first half.

I've also met people who insist that 'Live and Let Die' is, instead of a studio blatantly trying to cash in on Blaxploitation, actually a great, even the best, Blaxploitation film. That particular style of fandom isn't restricted to the MCU, it's just the current one.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The elevator fight, and the car chase with Nick Fury were my favorite action sequences from that film.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

I said come in! posted:

The elevator fight, and the car chase with Nick Fury were my favorite action sequences from that film.

The elevator fight was something that was amazing in concept, but executed in a way that barely used its central conceit. He's stuck in a small space with a large number of opponents, and most of them are taken out, clearing the space and allowing a standard one on one with Frank Grillo, almost immediately.

By contrast, here's part of the finale from 'Danny the Dog.' https://youtu.be/w33LC8DOJkk?t=91 (slightly NWS for a nipple at one point)

I'm not expecting Chris Evans to be as good as Jet Li at fighting, but just note how the camera work and choreography both make full use of the cramped space.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

golden bubble posted:

Marvel films are never bad films, and this won't be a bad film either. Instead, they are aggressively mediocre. If you looked up mediocrity in dictionary, there would be an Avengers logo in the middle of it.

that's the worst kind of thing art can be, and hence is bad. you've somehow tricked yourself into thinking bad things are just ok.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

A human heart posted:

that's the worst kind of thing art can be, and hence is bad. you've somehow tricked yourself into thinking bad things are just ok.

That wasn't a defence of them, dude

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Snowman_McK posted:

I'm not expecting Chris Evans to be as good as Jet Li at fighting, but just note how the camera work and choreography both make full use of the cramped space.

If Paul Walker can become a fun and entertaining hand-to-hand fighter in the Fast & Furious movies then, dammit, Chris Evans can try!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LesterGroans posted:

If Paul Walker can become a fun and entertaining hand-to-hand fighter in the Fast & Furious movies then, dammit, Chris Evans can try!

Oh, he did well. There's some b-roll footage that shows how hard him and Sebastian Stan worked (it was in the GIF thread) I'm just talking about the film making and choreography.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

A human heart posted:

that's the worst kind of thing art can be

Who said that entertainment had to be art?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

Oh, he did well. There's some b-roll footage that shows how hard him and Sebastian Stan worked (it was in the GIF thread) I'm just talking about the film making and choreography.

Yeah, that same filmmaking and cinematography blanded up what should have been one of the most exciting sequences in the whole film, the all-out Cap vs. Winter Soldier brawl in the street. I guess technically it still is since everything else in WS got the same treatment, but it could've been blocked, shot and edited so much more effectively.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Mulva posted:

Who said that entertainment had to be art?

yikes

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
When someone says "this is art" on a gif of pure-strain schadenfreude, they mean it literally.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

The elevator fight was something that was amazing in concept, but executed in a way that barely used its central conceit. He's stuck in a small space with a large number of opponents, and most of them are taken out, clearing the space and allowing a standard one on one with Frank Grillo, almost immediately.

By contrast, here's part of the finale from 'Danny the Dog.' https://youtu.be/w33LC8DOJkk?t=91 (slightly NWS for a nipple at one point)

Raising Arizona and Kill Bill vol 2 also do "1 on 1 fight in a cramped space" very good, although those are just trailers. It's not super hard to find inspiration tho.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Of all things Pineapple Express probably has my favorite "cramped space" fight scene of all time

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
The surprisingly funny bathroom fight in Jack Reacher deserves a mention

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Or basically anything by Jackie Chan, who always had his fights in interesting places and fully used them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h9XttVyxlM

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

It's not in an enclosed space, but the 2v1 fight from Who Am I is easily my favorite Jackie Chan fight. I might be biased though, because Who Am I is also my favorite Jackie Chan movie.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

teagone posted:

It's not in an enclosed space, but the 2v1 fight from Who Am I is easily my favorite Jackie Chan fight. I might be biased though, because Who Am I is also my favorite Jackie Chan movie.

I think it's one of the best encapsulations of what made him good and unique: his attention to detail, his physicality, the very sweet worldview of his movies.

And yeah, that fight is among his best work. It's probably the last or second last really great Jackie Chan fight scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

And yeah, that fight is among his best work. It's probably the last or second last really great Jackie Chan fight scene.

:agreed:

Super clean fight choreography and camera work that flawlessly dictates the tone. For anyone who hasn't seen the fight, watch it below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQYyXBJJfTM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8j2zqRkDIw

Watch the whole movie though. It owns so much.