Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I for one am looking forward to another thread of people complaining about how this is the only place they can discuss movies while the Blockbuster Video thread about the same movie is less than a page long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Timby posted:

Nigh-unbearable.

But none of it will be as good as Thor telling Hulk he’s a bad friend, the most heart-breaking moment in all of cinema.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Referring to the leaked footage so be extra careful about clicking this: What’s interesting to me is that everything in that leaked footage is the most predictable poo poo outside of maybe Professor Hulk. Cap says The Phrase, the dead guys come back, there’s time travel, there’s a shot of two big crowds running towards each other and then stopping in the middle for fistfights. This long ago stopped being about surprises and storytelling and more about this kind of gratification. The movie isn’t just tertiary in terms of cultural impact, as more of a marketing achievement than a filmmaking one, it’s tertiary because everyone already knows what’s gonna happen in it and are showing up out of... obligation?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I am loving howling at Black Widow finally getting a purpose in the MCU and that purpose is to die.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Cythereal posted:

They're making a Black Widow movie, don't get your hopes up.

Ah poo poo you’re right, I can’t believe I forgot.

I can’t decide if that makes it funnier though.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

colachute posted:

If the bubble pops on the last movie of their $20 billion franchise... oh darn.

I mean, it’s too late. This thing is gonna break $2 billion easy no matter what. Honestly the spoilers I’ve read still don’t even sound half as bad as Age of Ultron, and that movie did fine.

If you wanna get concerned about phase 4, yeah, knock yourself out. But I think there’s too much steam on this train for it to brake for miles.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
^ lol drat never mind

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
In Infinity War, Thanos tells Gamora that once he halfimated her planet, it became a paradise. Do we get to see if he’s telling the truth in Endgame? Do we get to see if the snap actually made Earth better?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Do we have confirmation on when Far From Home is set?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
There’s no way in hell that Endgame is gonna get a fan reception as negative as Ghostbusters or even The Last Jedi. The most hardcore of MCU fans are still gonna show up to multiple screenings of this. There’s simply too much momentum on this train for it to stop now.

If you wanna talk about how well phase 4 does, fine, but I’d still bet money it continues to be a smash. It’d take multiple movies that the fans disapprove of to slow down the MCU at this point, and if they’re willing to eat up Age of Ultron... I don’t even know what kind of movie you’d have to make to pull that off.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I don’t know how much an Alamo Drafthouse ticket costs because I’ve never been to one, but I think it sucks rear end that seeing a movie in theaters without people browsing their phones, talking, and chewing with their Goddamn mouth open is considered a “premium” experience nowadays.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Vitamin P posted:

Thats the same as Infinity War though. Tons of Wakandan soldiers die because they are worth less to the heroes than one Vision.

We don’t trade lives! :shepface:

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

So uh.

is the solo Black Widow movie cancelled or....?

rumors have been, even before Endgame's big thing, that it would be a prequel

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
If Ant-Man spent five years in the Quantum Realm in five hours, why was Janet Pym just as old as Hank when he got her back?

ruddiger posted:

Haha I forgot one of the first things Tony complains about after being rescued from space was how he was justified in his idea for a space wall.

He even says “your precious freedoms!” in a baby voice, the dude has no character

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

jivjov posted:

Stuff in the Quantum Realm is weird, and different "places" in it have different rules. Case in point, the Avengers all hop into the same time portal, but go to different points in the Quantum Realm and pop back out in different points in the past. Janet was in a place where the flow of time more or less synced up, but they couldn't get in to that place but once a century or whatever.

Okay, I guess that makes sense with a sufficient amount of suspension of disbelief applied. Seems the odds are really low on Janet having traveled across the Quantum Realm in the exact spots that would have synced her to today’s age, so it’s still an obvious retcon, but eh, I’ve seen worse.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
God I just loving love that the Russos have just pitched Black Widow entirely, the most useless character in the franchise, and even threw in a "SHE CAN'T COME BACK DON'T ASK WHY OKAY MOVING ON"

Raenir Salazar posted:

To quote MovieBob,

lmao

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Nazi's and chuds hate him so he's good. ;)

How do I even make a joke about the fact that the "well it makes chuds mad" ideology leads to people advocating for a dude who espouses the values of eugenics

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

I see this repeated out of context a lot and I think its pretty clear every time its by people who have an irrational axe to grind, he on his blog by the way explains himself that no he's not actually for eugenics, but he likes saying things to make chuds mad. And your buying into gamergator propaganda by repeating it uncritically.

Well-known Gamergater YouTuber, shaun_jen.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Sorry I don't know who this is, presumably they are a progressive youtuber who also happens in this instance to repeat something that is disingenuous and out of context. Contrapoints iirc retweets MovieBob, is she also bad?

I seriously don't give a poo poo about rating individual YouTube film critics who are only differentiated from "guy rants in truck" videos by how much money they spent on their equipment, but I do think it's right to laugh at the fact that your opinions are informed by a man that refers to human beings as "people" in quotation marks and pretty regularly talks about how there needs to be intelligence tests for voting, and no amount of "he's just trolling the cons!" is going to make Poe's Law stop existing.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

You keep ignoring and blowing past the context that he's actually specific in his vitriol to legitimately terrible people; it's like getting angry at someone for saying the Nazi's deserved what they got. Just why? Why are you so angry about him attacking Trumpers? It's not even a matter of Poe's Law, it's you specifically omitting obvious context to pretend he's directed those posts at a much wider range of people then intended; that's dishonesty, so it rings hollow when it's so obviously disingenuous.

Do you feel people are legitimately too mean towards Nazi's? Did you get angry when the Wolfeinstein devs said punching Nazi's is good? Do you think the Neonazi's who complained on twitter had a reasonable point? Because that's what you're doing.

Your response here is basically an admission that your grievance is paper thin.

What in the gently caress is this strawman bullshit.

I don't like when people are referred to as subhuman so I must think Nazis are treated unfairly. That is some galaxy brain poo poo.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's not a strawman, it's logical implication of your position. Either you don't intend to exaggerate and distort what he said and your position is everyone and anyone regardless of who they are or what they did shouldn't be referred to in dehumanizing terminology, or there are in fact, qualifiers that matter, and you absolutely did intend to distort and exaggerate to make your point; which is it?

I need you, forums user Raenir "To Quote Moviebob" Salazar, to stop for sixty seconds and ponder the ridiculous leap in logic you need to take between "I don't like when people are referred to as not really being people" and "you must think people are too mean to Nazis."

Typically, when someone doesn't like when people refer to other people as being less human than others, that means they don't like Nazis.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Iirc the Russos said he was sick of being Banner's magic problem solver.

Why that makes more sense than "Spent a year being a fight champion and then was scared a bit when he experienced a loss", iono. Maybe they were trying to foreshadow some Banner/Hulk relationship problems.

Wow. Not only is that a stupider reason than the obvious (to me) of being scared of Thanos, it doesn’t even loving matter because he’s brought back in this film and all his problems have just been solved by the time we meet him.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Yeah, one of the biggest (true) criticisms of the MCU is that it has no consequences, so while it was a little hamfisted, it was nice to have an entire portion dedicated to just people dealing with consequences.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The screenwriters did an interview. Spoilers, obviously. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/29/movies/avengers-endgame-explainer.html

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
God, I hate so much that Banner’s development happens all offscreen. Professor Hulk is the culmination of his character, the result of him solving his problems and reaching synergy, and when we see him he’s just already taken care of.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

One thing I'm low-key stuck on, probably due to line reading, about The Ancient One reacting strongly over knowing that Strange gave up the time stone to Thanos. Was she realizing she picked the wrong person to replace her, or realizing that Strange had it right the entire time?

The latter. She figured that if Strange was going to be the best of all of them, he had to know what he was doing.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Bogus Adventure posted:

Would movies like Endgame do better if the characters postulated what time travel might entail instead of laying out "laws of time travel" as absolute fact? That way, any ambiguity can be chalked up to the protagonists' (and the writers') ignorance on the subject. Would it have hurt the story if Professor Hulk or The Ancient One disagreed on how time travel works (closed loop versus open loop) and then the cast deciding that doing something was better than nothing?

Yes, honestly.

The problem with Avengers Endgame isn’t even that it gets time travel wrong, it’s that it sets up all of its own rules for time travel and then breaks them all. And in some areas, if it doesn’t, then it leaves some horrific implications.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

They have to announce which Phase 4 movies are coming out on what dates sometime soon right? They're not going to just bank on "...next year looks great with MCU movies #24 and #25!" I'm sure investors would love that.

Don’t expect anything until after Far From Home at the very least, Feige has been pretty open about his regrets on revealing all of Phase 3 before it had even started.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I really hate this idea of “obviously Steve told Peggy the truth” because it’s depending on an offscreen event that is never shown that would magically make everything about Steve’s acts at the end ethically okay. It’s like saying that everything Anton Chigurh did was fine because offscreen he took them to the hospital and they all lived.

We can’t actually depend on this fictional event that we can’t even see happening, so we can only go off of the logical explanation offered by the movie’s own rules of time travel, which suggests that Peggy’s reaction would be “so we can have TWO Captain Americas fighting crime? Awesome let’s go get him then.”

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

So you're saying that you can't buy one offscreen event even though a character's previously established nature would suggest it, because the other character's previously established nature would have her react a certain way, offscreen?

:thunk:

Uh, yes. What is so ridiculous about that to you?

The argument that Steve told her the truth offscreen doesn’t make sense even following its own logic of “things we’re assuming happened offscreen makes this ethically okay.”

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

I think that using a character's established nature to assume something happened offscreen is fair game, but it's ssilly to say that one offscreen event didn''t happen because it'd lead to another offscreen event

I don’t see what’s silly about following through on the idea that we can infer a character’s offscreen actions based on their nature. If Cap told her the truth, there’s literally zero reason why Peggy wouldn’t want to go free the Cap of her timeline except for ones that people write as essentially fan fiction.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Has anyone done the Thanos: Hand of Fate joke yet

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
https://twitter.com/BootsRiley/status/1133468099020066816

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

What did the message say? It's deleted now.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Bogus Adventure posted:

I got burned out with the MCU so much that I haven't watched an Avengers movie since the first one, but I'll grant that it's impressive that they were able to maintain enough threads over a decade and bring it to a conclusion.

What threads, though? Character and plot arcs over the course of these movies are utterly ignored or, if they’re not, often retconned or otherwise lampshaded because it derails the plans the new filmmakers had. Remember when SHIELD was made of Nazis the whole time?

The MCU is most often praised for its continuity when it’s very often the cinematic universe that’s consistently the worst at it.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I don't think it's a coincidence that it's also the only successful one. For the most part the films get to focus on their own stories rather than being weighed down with continuity baggage.

That would be true if the stories had no continuity baggage at all, but they absolutely do. It’s just all absurdly badly done. This is the franchise that revealed the entire organization the heroes were working for was run by super Nazis who were more Nazi than Nazis, and after they blow up a helicarrier it gets two passing mentions ever again. They never even ask if what they did for the secret super Nazis before they found out was misguided into being acts of evil.

This isn’t even touching the individual character development, which falls apart even on the most casual inspection.

Like, there are two MCU movies in the top five financially successful films of all time that are literally just about continuity baggage.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It’s a reference to the double-bladed knife he shows Gamora in Infinity War, when he says the “perfectly balanced, as all things should be” line.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Brie Larson is a wonderful actress who absolutely deserves her Oscar for her performance in Room and the comments she made about the abundance of white male film critics are absolutely true.

Everything about Captain Marvel in Endgame was loving horrendous.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Why was Clint given the soul stone if he didn’t sacrifice someone he loved, they sacrificed themselves?

How is Cap supposed to return the soul stone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Weird how everyone says that they’re sick of Spider-Man reboots but also that Spider-Verse is a masterpiece.