Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Warnock would be a top manager in a no deal brexit Britain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

tbh I'm broadly in agreement with the idea that Newcastle aren't inherently a bigger club than say, Sunderland, or Birmingham, or Forest, or a dozen other clubs that have a good local following but not much else, and that hearing their fans incessantly moan about every chairman that comes through because he's not put half a billion pounds of his own money into making them the new PSG is really tedious

but this tweet may actually be the stupidest opinion I've ever physically seen in relation to football, let alone from a professional pundit

and yes I do read my own posts

jesus christ go read about Newcastle's finances and what Ashley has done over the past 11 years before you spout your poo poo

half the problem with how people perceive the whole issue with Ashley is because they're woefully misinformed

the club generated a profit over the past 3 windows and that hasn't been given to Rafa

Ashley is an objectively bad owner, it's not even remotely debatable

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Isn’t the money Rio was going on about just a company loan in the way it was done anyway?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Rio has a lovely clothing line being sold in Sports Direct and is therefore a corrupt little oval office

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Bape Culture posted:

Isn’t the money Rio was going on about just a company loan in the way it was done anyway?

all the money Ashley has put into the club has either been generated by the club or as part of a "loan" to the club

it all forms part of the valuation and it'd be like the City owners adding billions of pounds to the valuation when they sell it so they can get all their money back

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I think a lot of Abramovich's money in Chelsea are considered low-interest or no-interest loans, too.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
it just blows my mind how anyone looks at Newcastle under Ashley's ownership and doesn't think wow what a loving poo poo owner, literally everything from the state of the stadium today, the massive reduction in staff, the piss poor training facilities, the absolutely horrific hiring (Kinnear, Wise, etc.), the matching of relegations in our entire history versus his 11 years in charge, the lies on TV, season ticket price hikes, free sports direct branding, literally everything he's done while at the club has been shite

but bless him he's put in £150m of his own money (but not really)

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Vegetable posted:

I think a lot of Abramovich's money in Chelsea are considered low-interest or no-interest loans, too.

It’s all money laundering with proceeds from *magically becoming the owner of 10% of Russian natural resources* criminality anyway, and good value if he gets back 1/4 of what he puts in.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

kcer posted:

jesus christ go read about Newcastle's finances and what Ashley has done over the past 11 years before you spout your poo poo

half the problem with how people perceive the whole issue with Ashley is because they're woefully misinformed

the club generated a profit over the past 3 windows and that hasn't been given to Rafa

I don't think he's a good owner who should be given plaudits, if that's not clear

But there are plenty of football clubs that are either owned by people who use it as a personal savings account or who use the entire club as a branding vehicle for VISIT YEMEN, and I'm not sure that whoever is willing to buy newcastle united is going to be much better or keep them out of the championship

shep
Aug 31, 2003

I am sad because I am stuck with no bacon in the middle of the ocean.

kcer posted:

i disagree

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

FullLeatherJacket posted:

tbh I'm broadly in agreement with the idea that Newcastle aren't inherently a bigger club than say, Sunderland, or Birmingham, or Forest, or a dozen other clubs that have a good local following but not much else, and that hearing their fans incessantly moan about every chairman that comes through because he's not put half a billion pounds of his own money into making them the new PSG is really tedious
it's weird that you find something that doesn't exist to be tedious because if your dick depended on it you wouldn't be able to find 5 newcastle supporters demanding a geordie abramovich.there's plenty of real material to slag off our support with you don't have to go inventing caricatures.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
graeame souness is such a oval office

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

RideTheSpiral posted:

graeame souness is such a oval office
On the one hand he had the loving balls to plant a Galatasaray flag on Fenerbahce’s pitch.

On the other hand you have bullshit like this, stopping in the opposition half to do a ridiculous backpass

https://twitter.com/FootballCliches/status/914235404433444865

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Absolutely buzzing. Ole's made watching United super fun again.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

kcer posted:

How much money did you lose in the window and season before those? £90m operational loss, wasn't it?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the only reason Ashley isn't letting the club sign players is because Benitez hasn't signed a new contract. there is money available for players but he refuses to do it. He could have even taken all the profits out and lowered his debt total and as a result dropped his asking price and maybe sold the club. But he hasn't even done that

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Der Shovel posted:

Give Ole the job.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Things that lasted 12 days in December:

Christmas
Spurs' title challenge

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

CyberPingu posted:

Things that lasted 12 days in December:

Christmas
Spurs' title challenge

Bit generous, that.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

sassassin posted:

How much money did you lose in the window and season before those? £90m operational loss, wasn't it?

oh you again

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

Der Shovel posted:

reminds me of when woy got the sack and we didn't have to watch hodgeball anymore

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Der Shovel posted:

First half was fun to watch, second half was nerve wracking/nail biting. Still beats turgid Mouball and we'd absolutely have tanked that match if he was still in charge with the midfield being completely bypassed.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Jose posted:

the only reason Ashley isn't letting the club sign players is because Benitez hasn't signed a new contract. there is money available for players but he refuses to do it. He could have even taken all the profits out and lowered his debt total and as a result dropped his asking price and maybe sold the club. But he hasn't even done that

I thought Benitez was already locked in to a really bad contract with Newcastle.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Gorn Myson posted:

On the one hand he had the loving balls to plant a Galatasaray flag on Fenerbahce’s pitch.

On the other hand you have bullshit like this, stopping in the opposition half to do a ridiculous backpass

https://twitter.com/FootballCliches/status/914235404433444865

This is loving glorious

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Sounds like Wagner is out at Huddersfield. Can't wait for Big Sam

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

gtkor posted:

Yeah confirmed now. That's a bit of a shock but also they're poo poo so maybe it isn't.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

gtkor posted:

https://twitter.com/RSootyYPSport/status/1084872721975201794

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Looking forward to that new manager bounce.

brasstassels
Oct 26, 2007
I'm curious about the Boly red card:

https://twitter.com/KIoppology/status/1084908539804635137?s=19

In the third angle here, you can see Silva recognize he's not gonna get the ball, hesitate, then step in front of Boly's otherwise clean challenge. I get that to the ref in real time it looks like a reckless studs up challenge, but if it had been a little more clear would the ref have had a little mercy on Boly? I guess I mean is there any accountability (other than potential injury) for players intentionally endangering themselves to draw a foul?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

No player is going to intentionally step into a studs up challenge, that's some serious mental gymnastics you're going through.

brasstassels
Oct 26, 2007
A tackle like that is only a foul if you catch the player, right? Boly's trajectory would not have caught Bernardo if he didn't stretch his leg into the path of it, whether or not Bernardo was going for the ball. Would the punishment have been less if Boly had gone with his toe?

You're probably right that I'm over thinking it and there's just no room for that kind of tackle anymore, but I don't feel like Boly was completely at fault because at the moment he commits it appears as though there's no risk to Bernardo.

brasstassels fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 15, 2019

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

"Otherwise clean challenge" jesus christ.

Boly leaps off the ground and goes in with studs up, it's not a slide tackle and it's reckless.

brasstassels
Oct 26, 2007
He tucks his back leg mate that's not a 'leap'

Weedle
May 31, 2006

It’s still a straight red. I don’t like it but them’s the rules.

quote:

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force and endangering the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i'm not sure if this is the bust or more of an anti-boom where furious scouse conspiracy theories are actually happening whilst liverpool remain in first place

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

It's one of the reddest reds given this season, even I can see that through any bias against City. Claiming otherwise is up in the dumb ranks along with sandwich "toppings" and watching a recorded match thinking it's live.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Bundy posted:

It's one of the reddest reds given this season, even I can see that through any bias against City. Claiming otherwise is up in the dumb ranks along with sandwich "toppings" and watching a recorded match thinking it's live.

lol who did that?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Cech retiring at the end of the season

https://twitter.com/PetrCech/status/1085130768844800002

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

RideTheSpiral posted:

lol who did that?

gently caress, that might have been me. Youtube were running a repeat of a pre-season Barca Liverpool friendly and had big ****LIVE**** tags in the title so i though it was live.

Will never live that down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

gently caress

https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/1085144420935188481