Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

CyberPingu posted:

The first game played there should be an NFL game imo.

either way it'll be just as poo poo haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

tbh I'm broadly in agreement with the idea that Newcastle aren't inherently a bigger club than say, Sunderland, or Birmingham, or Forest, or a dozen other clubs that have a good local following but not much else, and that hearing their fans incessantly moan about every chairman that comes through because he's not put half a billion pounds of his own money into making them the new PSG is really tedious

but this tweet may actually be the stupidest opinion I've ever physically seen in relation to football, let alone from a professional pundit

and yes I do read my own posts

jesus christ go read about Newcastle's finances and what Ashley has done over the past 11 years before you spout your poo poo

half the problem with how people perceive the whole issue with Ashley is because they're woefully misinformed

the club generated a profit over the past 3 windows and that hasn't been given to Rafa

Ashley is an objectively bad owner, it's not even remotely debatable

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Bape Culture posted:

Isn’t the money Rio was going on about just a company loan in the way it was done anyway?

all the money Ashley has put into the club has either been generated by the club or as part of a "loan" to the club

it all forms part of the valuation and it'd be like the City owners adding billions of pounds to the valuation when they sell it so they can get all their money back

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
it just blows my mind how anyone looks at Newcastle under Ashley's ownership and doesn't think wow what a loving poo poo owner, literally everything from the state of the stadium today, the massive reduction in staff, the piss poor training facilities, the absolutely horrific hiring (Kinnear, Wise, etc.), the matching of relegations in our entire history versus his 11 years in charge, the lies on TV, season ticket price hikes, free sports direct branding, literally everything he's done while at the club has been shite

but bless him he's put in £150m of his own money (but not really)

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

sassassin posted:

How much money did you lose in the window and season before those? £90m operational loss, wasn't it?

oh you again

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Gorn Myson posted:

but thats nothing compared to a PE teacher becoming a PL referee.

if Phil Dowd can become a PL ref then I think just about anyone can

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
Rafa is leaving in the summer unless we bring in some new players this month.

bye Rafa, you're lovely :(

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

JFairfax posted:

I really wanted Rafa to get some money, he's a wonderful manager and finally I thought Newcastle fans had someone who could win them a trophy.

I mean they do but he's operating with two hands tied behind his back.

I really can't grasp the logic behind employing Steve loving McClaren, letting him spend about £90m fairly freely, and then getting Rafael Benitez and not even giving him the £30 odd m we've generated from player sales while he's been at the club.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
sassassin's example of Bournemouth is really good because their owners also put in a load of their own money (£55m last year) but they don't hang it over the club as a "personal loan" like Mike Ashley does w. Newcastle

the fact that Bournemouth is making money is also pointless because as they've said themselves it's "almost entirely" down to the increased PL money.

basically everything sassassin says about us continues to be wrong or flawed

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

sassassin posted:

They have to be pretty rich to put £20-55m of their own money into a football club every year to meet fans expectations.

But since we've already established Bournemouth's owners have willingly done that and you seem totally fine with it, what's your ongoing problem with Newcastle?

If they also matched our wage bill only after a few seasons (which we'd already had), what were we meant to do when we went down? Entirely offload our sqaud to bring the wage bill in-line with what you expect from a championship side?

e: our commercial and matchday revenue is also better than theirs too, to keep this retarded comparison going

kcer fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jan 23, 2019

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
Bored of Bournemouth already?

It's mental that you're arguing about the owner putting money in. I suppose you're right that it's nice to be in a situation where your owner can do that, but it's £15m, we probably recouped that amount and the cost of the 11 signings in what we got for Sissoko, Wijnaldum, Townsend and the rest.

For the record as well Ashley has already taken that money back out of the club, as well as potentially taking more out soon. Thanks, Mike. No matter which way you spin it or how many random examples and comparison you want to jump to, Mike Ashley is a lovely owner.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
That was reported before or otherwise didn't include the money recouped through player sales in the same period. It also includes wages and costs for players who were later sold (or otherwise unwanted but lumped into the pot anyway), and recurring costs for players already signed.

http://priceoffootball.com/tag/newcastle/ posted:

Profits are income less costs, and here the club has been disingenuous by promoting in the press release a £91 million loss figure. However, this is before considering gains on player sales of over £42 million and includes the non-recurring costs from promotion bonuses and the contract write ups.

If you strip out the one-off costs and income and exclude amortisation claiming it is a non-cash expense, we get to something called EBITDA (Earnings Before Interest Tax Depreciation and Amortisation). This is the profit most focussed on by analysts, at it is a sustainable cash equivalent of profit.

This gives a figure of £19.8 million, still sizeable but far less than the sum being touted by the club to the media when the results were announced.

Newcastle made substantial EBITDA profits in previous years so were able to absorb this loss reasonably easily.

Everything you post about Newcastle is misleading or just wrong

kcer fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 23, 2019

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

no we're very poor our owner is doing his gosh darn best, drat it

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

it's kinda cool because not a single fan would blame him, and I'd actually kinda like to see him do it

I really hope these protests happen tonight but I doubt they will

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

fat gay nonce posted:

Actually Rafa should work for free and the fans should hug and kiss mike ashley

if rafa likes being a manager so much why doesn't he do it for nowt?????????

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
remember when Ashley went on Sky and said that he hoped the club would be sold before January, but if not he promises he'll invest in the January window?

he's a good lad though that Mike

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Shrapnig posted:

Could it be worse than Xisco?

remember when Ashley hired Dennis Wise and he scouted some kid on youtube and insisted Keegan buy him despite not wanting him at all and he was utter dogshit

he's a good lad though, is big Mike

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

sassassin posted:

Which Newcastle manager was it that saw a kid playing and thought "ooh we should sign him" and it turned out to be a Newcastle player out on loan?

sounds like an extremely Joe Kinnear thing to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
I never liked him because, get ready for this, his surname rhymes with fart