Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

paddyboat posted:

crazy that this thread is even worse than the last one where tbowl was melting down about groups of people with similar interests calling themselves “we”

tbh I'm quite enjoying the pointless slapfight over whether Liverpool will win a thing based on nothing more substantive than "they are failsons and I hate them" versus "pep is bald"

but what if both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

tbh I'm broadly in agreement with the idea that Newcastle aren't inherently a bigger club than say, Sunderland, or Birmingham, or Forest, or a dozen other clubs that have a good local following but not much else, and that hearing their fans incessantly moan about every chairman that comes through because he's not put half a billion pounds of his own money into making them the new PSG is really tedious

but this tweet may actually be the stupidest opinion I've ever physically seen in relation to football, let alone from a professional pundit

and yes I do read my own posts

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Eau de MacGowan posted:

also nottingham forest literally won the champions league back to back, dont dare to mackem shame them

did I say forest

I clearly meant notts county, they're the oldest club in the world and one time they signed sol campbell

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

kcer posted:

jesus christ go read about Newcastle's finances and what Ashley has done over the past 11 years before you spout your poo poo

half the problem with how people perceive the whole issue with Ashley is because they're woefully misinformed

the club generated a profit over the past 3 windows and that hasn't been given to Rafa

Ashley is an objectively bad owner, it's not even remotely debatable

I don't think he's a good owner who should be given plaudits, if that's not clear

But there are plenty of football clubs that are either owned by people who use it as a personal savings account or who use the entire club as a branding vehicle for VISIT YEMEN, and I'm not sure that whoever is willing to buy newcastle united is going to be much better or keep them out of the championship

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Bundy posted:

Regarding the red card, CyberPingu has helpfully found a good clip of it https://streamja.com/00da

Lol if you see that last angle and think "ah yes, a clean tackle".

Honestly, having only just watched it now, I was expecting a lot worse. I can understand why it's a red in the modern game just to make that kind of tackle a no-go and if your son is crying he needs to man up, but he's not gone over the ball, it's not at ridiculous pace, and he's not gone directly through his man. I've seen people get away with nastier challenges.

That said, the contact argument is definitely moot, and I'm always reminded of the time Ronaldo got sent off for a clown tackle where the only actual contact was him getting kneed in the head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmTyPd5oqqg

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Brony Car posted:

The club aren't the ones labeling the Wolves match this, thankfully, but this is still stupid poo poo from the people paying ticket resellers those prices.

This isn't quite on the level of the 2007 Champions League Final victory bus.

The bus is funny out of context, but unless you're just going to have a plain red bus if you win you pretty much have to do it in advance, it's just that nobody took a photo of the Arsenal - Champions Of Europe bus before Juliano Belletti set fire to it

That said, this does not mean that I'm not working on an excellent "biggest bust since Lucie Wilde" joke to release into the wild in late March

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Blue Star Error posted:

The weirdest part in this hypothetical is that doors, lightbulbs, and beds are less of a priority to his imaginary wife than a washing machine.

it's always sad when they prioritise their hobbies over essentials