Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Internet, I call forth your power!
Let's T_Roll.
Love and Monsters is fine. It shows you a type of villain that does exists -the trampling nerd. And shows that any resolution involving nerds and geeks can just be weird and sometimes distasteful. But that's part of them being them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

On paper it works for sure. The execution is what I found (drastically) lacking. I can totally buy the Absorbaloff as a literal representation of the lovely and nasty parts of fandom ruining everybody else's fun, but understanding that and being able to enjoy it were two different things for me.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Plus it hurted by the fact these characters got enough time to be built and they all get killed except the girl who gets turned into a stone slab. Should had her with Me at the end of time.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Finally watched the NYE Special. That was reasonably good.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Jerusalem posted:

In the moment I thought Kerblam! was tremendous fun and was really happy at the end of the episode. Within a few minutes it was really sinking in just how hosed up a lot of what I'd just seen was, which has really colored my perception of it as a whole.

The darkly hilarious thing about Kerblam! is that even with its atrocious politics, it's still one of the better episodes of the season. That's how low of an average this season has.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

chris chibnal. the girl doctor who crashed the car

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Cleretic posted:

So we rewrite, find a way to add in an antagonist and something resembling a happy ending, and oops the ending has come out looking really morally nebulous and debatably pro-megacorporation, and we don't have time to fix it.

Three words. Retire the AI.

That way the doctor can do what she is good at. Leaving a place an unmitigated disaster area and hope the survivors can make progress lemonade from the apocalypse lemons.

Dongicus posted:

chris chibnal. the girl doctor who crashed the car

Oh yeah. She did do that, didn’t she?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jan 6, 2019

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

I can totally buy the Absorbaloff as a literal representation of the lovely and nasty parts of fandom ruining everybody else's fun, but understanding that and being able to enjoy it were two different things for me.

It doesn't quite work because all fandoms are bad.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Love and Monsters is half amazing and half "ugh what were they thinking" which makes it a fitting metaphor for Doctor Who fandom as a whole.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

docbeard posted:

Love and Monsters is half amazing and half "ugh what were they thinking" which makes it a fitting metaphor for Doctor Who as a whole.

FTFY

I love Doctor Who, but I have to admit while it doesn’t come to quite the same level, it shares with Pro Wrestling the tendency to be intensely embarrassing at times.

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Let's T_Roll.
The BBCs remit is to inform educate and entertain. They try stuff and it works to varying degrees. I remember Love and monsters after all these years because it did an important life lesson rather than the shout I am the Doctor at the sky/sun episodes. I remember the God Complex because of similar reasons. Fans deserve to have the mirror held up to them otherwise the better ones don't get a chance to step back from their misanthropy.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
One of the criticisms I've seen of this last season is that it's trying too hard to be something that can be "taken seriously" as if the show's most beloved episodes didn't involve magic statues that make angry faces when you look away and aliens made of green bubble wrap

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Saw someone on Twitter try to say that the problem with this series was that every ep revolved around the Doctor being a woman. He never answered when I told him to cite examples.

It kind of reminded me of people who said The New Girl was bad because Zooey was playing a "Magical Pixie Dreamgirl". There was no quicker way of revealing that they never watched an ep.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Davros1 posted:

Saw someone on Twitter try to say that the problem with this series was that every ep revolved around the Doctor being a woman. He never answered when I told him to cite examples.

Fun (or "fun") fact: I recently learned through the magic of unwelcome YouTube recommendations that these guys have now teamed up with the Star Wars fandom and that we can look forward (or "look forward") to the release of the fan-made documentary (or "documentary") "Episode Backlash" which promises to be the last word on how fans have turned against both Star Wars and Doctor Who because they are "too political" now. :v:

This information was revealed to me by a grown man sitting in a room full of toys.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I Like how too political means it has a woman as a main character.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

twistedmentat posted:

I Like how too political means it has a woman as a main character.

Or ‘too many black people’.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Which is to say, "any black people"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Davros1 posted:

It kind of reminded me of people who said The New Girl was bad because Zooey was playing a "Magical Pixie Dreamgirl". There was no quicker way of revealing that they never watched an ep.

Gah that poo poo is infuriating. I tried to watch a couple of youtube reviews and they were all "the writing is bad in this one because it discriminates against men". The only episode that guy liked was Kerblam, would you believe it.

I'm sure I remember more noticeable liberal critics talking about the show when Moffat was making it

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

2house2fly posted:

I'm sure I remember more noticeable liberal critics talking about the show when Moffat was making it

One thing I will always remember vis-a-vis the breadth and variety of Doctor Who's terrible fandom is finding one guy's blog where he whinged about "Steven Moffat's feminist agenda" around the time Moffat was saying the Doctor could be a woman shortly before he and Capaldi both said they were leaving.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

A tweet from Colin Baker's daughter:

https://twitter.com/LucyBaker85/status/1081876390323150848

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I’ve started re-watching this silly show from the start again, rather than looking for something new to watch. Please send help.

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Let's T_Roll.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Fun (or "fun") fact: I recently learned through the magic of unwelcome YouTube recommendations that these guys have now teamed up with the Star Wars fandom and that we can look forward (or "look forward") to the release of the fan-made documentary (or "documentary") "Episode Backlash" which promises to be the last word on how fans have turned against both Star Wars and Doctor Who because they are "too political" now. :v:

This information was revealed to me by a grown man sitting in a room full of toys.

Sound like 'the Quatering' from the toys description.

Backlash made me think of Timelash.

To be fair 13 seems like a Primary school teacher. Whereas 12 was the academic lecturer who demands you keep up or be left behind. It might just be as the new generation of adolescents, the ones after millenials get to be the companions age and the pathos that comes from them has entered the Tardis. The anxiety and the reliance and approval of peers. Kind of why I liked Kerblam. The fresh faced millenial villain. Sort of new. But I do kind of dislike the overall softness rather than the kindliness with a dangerous edge.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

marktheando posted:

I’ve started re-watching this silly show from the start again, rather than looking for something new to watch. Please send help.

Which start? :v:

In related news, I'm watching the reconstruction of the Myth Makers for the first time tonight.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Edward Mass posted:

Which start? :v:

In related news, I'm watching the reconstruction of the Myth Makers for the first time tonight.

The start. But I’m skipping reconstructions. I tried a few times but can never get into them.

Currently on The Keys of Marinus. The trapper is a great mini villain. Just a total dickhead. Giving Ian a sack of raw meat to attract wolves and sending him out into the frozen wastes haha.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jerusalem posted:

On paper it works for sure. The execution is what I found (drastically) lacking. I can totally buy the Absorbaloff as a literal representation of the lovely and nasty parts of fandom ruining everybody else's fun, but understanding that and being able to enjoy it were two different things for me.

The absorbaloff was literally made by a 12 year old and I refuse to believe any deep thought went into Love and Monsters whatsoever.

I’d rather watch Six strangle Peri and then have a mediocre episode than ever watch it again. That’s how strong my feelings are.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Peekaboo? Peekaboo?!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, Keys of Marinus is very obviously a,"poo poo let's get a handful of loosely connected episodes together as quickly as possible!" but it still works pretty drat well. Especially the Doctor deciding to be lawyer with ZERO training or awareness of the culture whose laws have been broken.

Chokes McGee posted:

The absorbaloff was literally made by a 12 year old and I refuse to believe any deep thought went into Love and Monsters whatsoever.

The design was sure, RTD then did a pretty obvious "lovely fan who is toxic to everybody and the thing they purport to love" translation of it (maybe not necessarily Ian Levine specifically). The actual initial design was actually pretty cool for a school-kid idea. Sure it was basically just a 21st Century Blob, but A) they probably have no idea what the Blob is, and B) since when has Doctor Who been concerned about doing their own take on old horror sci-fi!?!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

It’s not just me, right? He looks like McCoy?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Stormageddon Dark Lord of All is looking real good these days.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Oh also, this gave me multiple chuckles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJpEnzQ8ums

"I'm sorry this is 90% stupid vines, memes and me being hella gay for Jodie"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That was a lot of fun :)

Though seeing Whittaker in her older roles is a bit of a mindfuck now - "Come near my family again and I'll loving kill you!"

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Recently re-watched Heaven Sent/Hell Bent and still shocked people liked it. I feel it was peak Doctor Who head-up-its-own rear end. This is more so the actual finale of Hell Bent. The whole hybrid plot was a massive mistake/waste of time.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

AndyElusive posted:

Oh also, this gave me multiple chuckles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJpEnzQ8ums

"I'm sorry this is 90% stupid vines, memes and me being hella gay for Jodie"

The punchline is exquisite

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

hell bent is godawful nonsense but heaven sent is brilliant

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Hell Bent takes a while to get going but I love how crazy audacious it is. It was Moffat's Journey's End and he really pulled out all the stops

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Hell Bent is toilet water. Not the worst thing, but by only a slim margin.

Not sure which part I like least tbh, though I think it completely bungles the character drama (Clara and the Doctor are dangerously codepenent) on its own terms, so I'll pick that.

Heaven Sent is pretty good though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The_Doctor posted:

It's easily Too Political = isn't focused on white men.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Harlock posted:

Recently re-watched Heaven Sent/Hell Bent and still shocked people liked it. I feel it was peak Doctor Who head-up-its-own rear end. This is more so the actual finale of Hell Bent. The whole hybrid plot was a massive mistake/waste of time.

I keep a 1080p version of Heaven Sent on my hard drive for rewatching at a moment's notice

I do not have a copy of Hell Bent next to it.

Trying to combine the two into one episode is both wrong and dumb.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I was going to say that Heaven Sent had the misfortune of being sandwiched between the two worst episodes of that season, but then I remembered S9 also has the Zygon two-parter and the Me two-parter.

Capaldi really deserved better (and Clara deserved better than Face the Raven).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jerusalem posted:

Though seeing Whittaker in her older roles is a bit of a mindfuck now - "Come near my family again and I'll loving kill you!"

I saw a bit of Broadchurch's third season when I was back home over Christmas, and Whittaker's character isn't too far a throw from the Doctor in that one, but it's a little unsettling in a 'close but not quite' way. It just felt wrong to see the Doctor brunette, and also talking about rape.

I surprised myself when I saw a certain other actor and reflexively responded with 'wait is that Rip Hunter', though.