Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh! You’ve redecorated!

I love it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

twistedmentat posted:

I Like how too political means it has a woman as a main character.

Or ‘too many black people’.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It’s not just me, right? He looks like McCoy?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

YouTube’s algorithm is weirdly focused on showing its users increasingly nazi-ish videos if you leave it running long enough.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Davros1 posted:

It's been a while since Eight's lost his memory!

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/war-master-vs-eight-doctor

I’m surprised they held off this long! Although now I’m sad at the thought we never got John Hurt and Derek Jacobi on the same audio. :smith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Doesn’t cover Death Comes to Time where the Doctor literally dies.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hell Bent did manage to portray one of those locations you only really expect to see in a book, and never actually on screen. The final hours of Gallifrey before it all burns down is wonderfully evocative.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Decent article by long term fan Jonn Elledge (who I remember from the Fitzroy Tavern Wilderness Years)

Why isn’t Jodie Whittaker’s Doctor Who the lead character in her own drat show?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Cleretic posted:

The back half of the season has some great moments of it, though. It's just that it's not what you think police knowledge and training is. She works to calm people, to collect information, to make things safe. The stuff that isn't usually spotlighted in media, fiction or non-fiction, but are really important police skills. I saw some of it in what little I saw of Broadchurch, too.

I love that, and I hope it becomes more prevalent in the next season. It's a nice character to have, not just in the show but in media in general.

Piggybacking on this to recommend people reading the Rivers of London series by Who writer Ben Aaronovitch. Aside from being really good, interesting stories about dealing with the demi-monde of London, there’s a lot of the more ‘quiet’ side of policing, written in surprising detail.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Forktoss posted:

https://twitter.com/LeeBinding/status/1083664647604060161?s=19

I never realised the TARDIS key used in the TV Movie was based on an earlier design. I always thought the key was emblematic of how Philip Segal & co. sometimes missed what to me is the point of DW (the sci-fi whimsy comes from it being a regular old house key and not an ornate space key*), but that's apparently not entirely fair (though it's still true).

* Seven gets a pass in this because it's Seven

Fun fact: The production crew for the TV Movie bought that TARDIS key off 800-Trekker (a mid-90s geek stuff companies that sold through catalogues like Thinkgeek/BBTS do today), based off the 3/4th Doctor design, but slightly inaccurate, which is why it looks like that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Has anyone read any of the Black Archive books from Obverse Books? My friend is writing the first 13th Doctor one, focusing on Kerblam! She's going to be discussing its messages (missed and otherwise).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

FreezingInferno posted:

I've read quite a few and I love them, and I'll definitely be grabbing your pal's Kerblam! one whenever it drops.

What are they like to read? Overly analytical like The Unfolding Text or actually fun explorations?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

It's incredible how solid that entire season was. it's even more ridiculous when you consider it's literally the first time we see the Master.

Unless you consider...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Tom Baker is 85 today! :toot:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Following the C.Bakes regent video up there, YouTube suggested this McGann/Hurt one I hadn’t seen before. A little rough around the edges, but good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tr4EIeqfdY

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

:toot:

Nowhere in the UK, judging by the weather.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Forktoss posted:

I'm going to Cardiff in March, I wonder if it might be possible they'd be around there somewhere then?

Edit: Also if you know of some cool Who stuff to see there, please let me know! The Experience is closed for good, right?

It is, sadly, yes. There is talk of opening something similar in association with Cardiff Castle, but nothing is even vaguely confirmed yet.

The bay has Torchwood Tower, the Ianto shrine (which is weirdly still there), and there's Eddie's Diner, which is used as Clara/Me's TARDIS, the diner 11 met Rory and Amy in, etc. There's two little restaurants/cafes out on piers, and one of them was featured in Boomtown, but I can't remember which. Plus the bay is probably the nicest looking bit of Cardiff.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh good lord, somehow I completely missed that the actor who played Jo Grant's grandson in SJA is Finn Jones, aka Loras Tyrell aka Iron Fist. Both his SJA appearance and GoT were both filmed in 2010, and he looks completely different to me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

I've tried googling this, but I can't work out what this means. Care to explain?

I assume ‘as an american’ autocorrect failure.

Also, J-Ru, am I right in recalling that you’ve not done any of the War Doctor stories?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Please try harder if you're going to troll.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Is it the River Song ones then?

:thunk:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Have you considered turning off your television? It seems to make you extremely angry, all of the time.

He's a troll, check his rap sheet. I've put him on ignore now.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Mameluke posted:

I'm surprised that nobody's ever tried to do a Cybermen story where becoming emotionless metalmen really is the best option for the Telosians/Mondasians/people.

That’s basically Spare Parts, with the Mondasians slowly dying.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I often forget how big Really Tall Davies is.

He is Incredibly Tall. I am Very Tall, and when I met him once he was still taller than me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Narsham posted:

The show has yet to dare casting the next Doctor secretly and having her meet the current one.

The only way I could even think of them getting away with it is casting the next Doctor, and secretly filming a short scene on a closed set like, the next day or something. But the writing would have to convey that this isn’t necessarily the Doctor, just... someone mysterious.

The closest we’ve got is the eyebrows cameo in Day of the Doctor, but sadly we knew he’d already been cast.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It’s a start!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh no, Clive Swift has died. :geno:

https://twitter.com/madeupwho/status/924930939565826048?s=21

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

You only need to look at the comments under any official Doctor Who FB post to see who’s downvoting it. Within seconds of a post appearing there’s a cavalcade of moaning about ‘how boring the show is now’, ‘how it’s aggressively progressive’, ‘catering to SJWs’, and so on. :jerkbag:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Let the casting begin.

Eddie Izzard.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Just saw Resolution in a Berlin cinema because they were showing it today for reasons(?). Looked good on the big screen, nice mix, still funny. Weirdly, the audience (filling maybe 1/3rd of the place) barely reacted to anything though, which may just be Germans generally.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Before and after the screening of Resolution, the cinema also showed a few behind the scenes bits like an extended version of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FGKzDq9OnU

And my other half noticed that when they showed a bit of the camera monitor that they were filming in 2K. So I guess that means no 4K/UHD release of the season, which is a shame.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

cargohills posted:

Are you American? In my experience in British cinemas, audiences are always very quiet, which might also hold true elsewhere in Europe. (Which is why I'll make sure not to go to any cinemas if I ever find myself in the USA.)

No, I’m English, and UK audiences would at least laugh at the jokes (unless you’re going to some very stuffy cinemas).

Also, the US audience thing seems to be a movie cliche because I’ve never encountered it in all my US cinema excursions.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Olivia Colman won best actress Oscar!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Happiness Patrol writer Graeme Curry passed away

https://twitter.com/andrewcartmel/status/1100025631671308290

Aww, that's sad. It's one of my personal favourites. :smith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Wilf! :toot:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The problem with the blowjob joke is it gives me all sorts of unpleasant mental images, along with some questions I don’t know if I want answered or not. :stonklol:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

While I know that Doctor Who has had the occasional reference to pop culture ever since The Beatles were popular, the way it was handled in that particular episode made it feel less like DW and more like Family Guy. All it needed was The Doctor going "This is like the time that..." and an alcoholic (robot) dog.

Now I want a cutaway every time the Doctor makes some reference to an offscreen adventure. :colbert:

“Do you remember hopping for our lives?”

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Facebook reminded me a year ago it snowed, and that I took this fantastic photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Davros1 posted:

That's awesome!

I saw this pic online, and for a moment started to freak because I couldn't remember which story it was from, before I realized, "oh wait, it's photoshop".

Huh that’s interesting, they shopped his eyes to look in a different direction.