Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I can't believe I get to make the "round things" joke again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Wheat Loaf posted:

I see season 11 has caught a bad case of Last Jedi syndrome over on Rotten Tomatoes (i.e. "audience score" pile-driven into the low 20s). I assume the usual suspects are to blame.

Guess that means Series 12 is gonna get quietly cancelled by way of just never being mentioned again.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

TinTower posted:

The episode literally mentions the murder of Emmett Till, who was literally lynched for smiling at a white woman only a few months before the Montgomery bus boycotts started, you utter cockwomble.

Which was done in the middle of the night in a remote location; again, the point being made is not "nah, things were hunkey dorey", it's "the public face of things was kept civil, while all the nasty poo poo happened in dark alleys and after dark".

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Huh....I totally caught the "threatening a cop" thing would be bad...but aaa an American who's found 3 guns in my Cracker Jack boxes I didn't even think about the legality of the weapon itself

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Hey, so...being ableist is lovely. Don't use "retard" as a pejorative.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Grouchio posted:

Why does Series 11 have a 21% audience review on Rotten Tomatoes?

Internet chuds are incredibly threatened by women and POCs having lead roles.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I read somewhere that Freema Agyeman has been approached by Big Finish but that she turned down the offer

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Box of Bunnies posted:

I haven't bought any Big Finish in about six months mostly out of circumstance, but them bringing back James Dreyfus and being all pally with him on Twitter (where his bio includes "don't call me cis" and every second tweet is making GBS threads on trans people) sure makes me feel like consciously avoiding them going forward.

Like, hire Gareth Roberts to write something while you're at it why don't you.

I had a very similar reaction to seeing Dreyfus back, but I did have a couple people point out to me that after his first BF appearance there was a podcast or something where Briggs was teasing having already had him in the studio for a couple different projects.

I'm really hoping this was just something that was already in the can, and that they aren't planning on bringing him back for more stuff now that they're aware of his transphobia.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Oof; well I'm certainly glad I have a bunch of sets preordered, because as others have said, this is most certainly going to cut down how much I buy from them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I love the Big Finish Effect of "Let's get an actor from the show to reprise their role, and get AS MUCH USE OUT OF THEM AS WE CAN!"

Derek Jacobi gets announced for a special War Master box...then 3 more of those and Gallifrey and River Song and Ravenous, etc

Hope Eric Roberts follows that same path, I rather liked his story in the River Song vs The Masters set

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
PSA: we get two more months before the Big Finish international pricing changes

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Box of Bunnies posted:

James Dreyfus is doing the "trans people in bathrooms and changerooms are a danger to everyone else!!" thing on Twitter again the same loving day the story about a trans girl having her head stomped in with a boot despite being segregated into her own facilities came out.

I don't care if Big Finish recorded his appearance in the Early Adventures a couple of years ago before he started on this bullshit, I obviously don't expect them to shelve something they've already got ready for release, but the fact that they were pally with him while announcing it last month and are using his presence to promote it without saying anything about this hateful bullshit means I'm done with them and seriously side-eyeing everyone else that keeps lapping it up

For all the good it'll do...I reached out with another email to them asking them to positively affirm that they won't be employing him ever again

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah it really feels like the MacQueen Master got shelved when Big Finish started regularly getting Gomez, Roberts, and Jacobi :(

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah Jago & Litefoot forever jumps a bit past the cliffhanger ending of the final regular boxset and had Jago explain what happened to Ellie and Quick. This includes the fact that when they returned to London, Litefoot mysteriously vanishes, and the main plot is finding him. Litefoot is in about 5 minutes at the end, using old dialog snippets for him.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Oh boy....I'm arguing with Frazer Hines on Twitter about Dreyfus.

Never meet your heroes, kids

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fil5000 posted:

The french artillery officer, the star of Veep or the Herbert Lom character in the Pink Panther films?

James Dreyfus the transphobic actor playing the First Master.

Frazer Hines cited him as his favorite Big Finish Master and I posted something in dismay about how he's a lovely transphobe, to which Hines responded "I'm talking about his acting, not his politics"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

stratofarius posted:

I really should get into Big Finish, but that requires me to get into Classic Who, which seems to be super hard to find.

I had only watched maybe 1 episode of classic Who before getting into Big Finish.As long as you have a rough idea (like, read the tardis.wikia entries) of Doctor and companion personalities, you're good.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Pesky Splinter posted:

War Master 3 has some great Jacobi moments - bit redundant to say at this point; he's always really great. Don't think the stories in this were that great though - this series hasn't managed to top the first boxset for me. :shrug:

tl;dr: Not as good as the first boxset, some good Doctor/Master stuff, but overall, not really worth the build up.

I have a sneaking suspicion that they had only ever planned for one War Master box set as a one-off (hence the ending of that one leading neatly into the Master being kindly old Doctor Yana in Utopia), and then circled back around to reuse some plot concepts and whatnot from the second set of War Doctor sets they were working on before John Hurt's untimely death.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

stratofarius posted:

The presence of New Series Companions really makes me wish Big Finish got to go crazy with the New Series Doctors.

I listened to this fan-made audio with most of the 12 Doctors and it really showed the possibilities that such a story could have.

Does anyone know why they don't seem to use the New Series Doctors that much?

A lot of it is availability. The new series doctors, for the most part, are all still working actors. Some of them are also distancing themselves from the role; like Eccleston and his very public distaste for a lot of the behind the scenes stuff from his time on the show, and Capaldi just got done being the Doctor a couple years ago, I don't blame him for not wanting to come back to the role super quickly.

And then there's just the time factor; Big Finish started making stuff in 1999. They had a half-decade head start on the show even being back on TV. And then for years after that, they only had the license to use stuff from the classic era of the show. They had to get special permission even to use a new series era Dalek on the cover of a Gallifrey story.

As time goes on, I'm sure we'll see more revived series doctor actors reprising their roles for BF. Tennant has already done three box sets, they've done full cast with narration stories for 9-11, short trips for 12. For YEARS everyone thought Tom Baker would never come to the role, but now he's done something like 9 series of Fourth Doctor Adventures among other things. I full expect to hear a Chris Eccleston 9th Doctor performance from Big Finish sometime in the not too distant future.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

corn in the bible posted:

Review so far: Legacy of Time episode 1 is real good and has a good new character in it; Episode 2 is tedious and is mostly people from Counter Measures, a series I do not know anything about, being confused by time travel stuff for an hour :(

This was also a complaint I had about that Worlds of Doctor Who box set they did a while back; that's one side franchise I just never got into, despite Remembrance being one of the handful of classic serials I've actually seen

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'll take 8

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tomtrek posted:

Big Finish released a statement today about "Equality and diversity at Big Finish", which must be in relation to the Dreyfus stuff. But it's worded so generically and vaguely that it doesn't really say anything.

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/equality-and-diversity-at-big-finish

EDIT: Reading the replies to their tweet about this, and I'm honestly surprised as to how many lovely Big Finish fans there are.
https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1154418212353859584

Yeah...its like...its good that equality and respect are enshrined in their internal company values..but this is the most non-statement statement they possibly could have made and its honestly disheartening.

There's gotta be some contractual thing for more appearances or something.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
After finishing up Legacy of Time, I've been revisiting some of the other milestone and anniversary stuff...and I think my favorite anecdote from Day of the Doctor is still Tom Baker just saying "I'm cameoing in Day of the Doctor. They told me not to tell anyone. But I'm Tom Baker, so I'm telling you anyway and what are they going to do about it?"

That's some peak Tom right there

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Vinylshadow posted:

He is sorely missed

I honestly legitimately wish Big Finish had never told us that Hurt had signed on for another series of War Doctor stories. I was happier not knowing

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Big Finish is doing a 12th doctor box set; no Capaldi yet, still Jacob Dudman doing an impression.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

LividLiquid posted:

Considering nobody has ever, ever been "too busy" to do some voice acting, I'm starting to think the rumors that Capaldi's exist was rushed have some weight to them.

I doubt he's too busy; I just think he's taking some time away from the role. Matt Smith hasn't done any BF work yet either.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I was about to say...maybe Burk's account was compromised.....but then I realized that there's literally nobody else on the planet capable of that level of Ultraman Effort Post

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Well show us the boots too!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

You're the best. Go you.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

McGann posted:

it includes Gatiss as the Unbound Master

I just can't believe they recast Sam Kisgart :v:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
All the amnesia made him forget how old he's supposed to look

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Rhyno posted:

Round.

Things.

What even are the round things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Emerson Cod posted:

Looks like we're getting a big Master box set in 2021, including a couple faces that have yet to appear in Big Finish: https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1205516477220216833?s=19

I'm glad that they convinced Eric Roberts to stick around, too. He was a bit wooden in the River Song story he did but it seems like he got used to the format by Day of The Master.

Glad they've learned their lesson about working with Dreyfus. That incarnation of the master fell into the schism, never to be seen again