Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Burkion posted:

That episode took a hard turn from "some kind of monster that you can't see you if you don't look at it maybe?" to "talking to a frog in a chair"

If it had been just a touch sillier and more cynical it could have been something from a later Douglas Adams book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I was going to say that Heaven Sent had the misfortune of being sandwiched between the two worst episodes of that season, but then I remembered S9 also has the Zygon two-parter and the Me two-parter.

Capaldi really deserved better (and Clara deserved better than Face the Raven).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I don't often hear negative opinions about Face The Raven, but I'd be keen to. What ground your gears? What got on your nerves? What trashed your trap street?

It’s more or less an okay episode in a vacuum and I understand why people like it, but the whole situation involving Clara’s death felt really cheap and forced. Doubly so since it was immediately reversed two episodes later. I also think Maisie Williams is a mediocre actor at best and I was already tired of her character after that two-parter earlier in the season.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Jerusalem posted:

Goddamn imagine being so incensed and furious about a loving logo?

I don’t think it’s actually about the logo at all

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Listen to Davison’s full comment starting at 0:50:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR58EPyQ05U

He’s misguided in saying people should encourage chuds to watch Jodie, but he also says to watch it with an open mind and that he think Jodie will be excellent. What he said was well-intentioned, I just think he’s a bit naive when it comes to internet fanbase vitriol. I don’t think it’s fair to lump him in with the rest of the sexists, because that clearly wasn’t what he meant.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Dabir posted:

what the gently caress is that moustache, is Moffat trying to get people to call him doctor who's Hitler

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

AndyElusive posted:

It honestly depresses me how loving negative many of the FB comments on nearly every single official Doctor Who FB post is.

How and why did a franchise like Who get such lovely loving fans?

It’s nearly every major franchise nowadays because chuds are the loudest people on the internet and social media sites refuse to shut them down. Star Trek, Doctor Who, Star Wars, Marvel, DC, at this point it wouldn’t even surprise me if the Jif peanut butter Facebook page had people screaming about SJWs in their comment sections.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Burkion posted:

I was talking with a friend about the new Twilight Zone series and before I could get into why I'm really hopeful and excited for it, he commented that he didn't think it was going to be good because it was probably going to be too social issues-y and too heavy handed

And I just

What?

It's the loving Twilight Zone. If it isn't that at least HALF the time, you've failed utterly at what you're doing. This was a show that hated racists and Nazis almost as much as Mel goddamn Brooks.

Then you see these chucklefucks complaining about similar stuff with Doctor Who, which has ALWAYS took a hard stance against facisim and being a lovely person and argued towards the better nature of all people, and you have to wonder what the gently caress they ever took from these properties

Conservatives have this amazing ability to watch something on a purely surface level and never once understand that the story’s central conflict is allegory or metaphor.

Willful ignorance or genuine stupidity, either way it’s incredible.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The revival is old enough that I remember signing up for this brand new Netflix thing specifically to rent the DVDs for 9’s season because Hollywood Video and Blockbuster didn’t carry them
:corsair:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Khanstant posted:

I mean, I'd assume the same crowd also hated the prequels and probably for similar reasons, not tied to the progressive culture shift stuff. Disney outright obliterated decades of canon and history and material, makes all the canon butchery from the prequels look tame in comparison. Change every woman and POC to a white person, I'd wager there'd still be the same proportion of gripers. At the same time, I totally get how it got entangled up in all that and it's basically impossible to have a conversation about it one way or the other anymore.

My sister receives death threats or some other form of harassment almost every time she posts a comment on any of the Star Wars social media accounts, and somehow I doubt it has anything to do with Disney relegating a bunch of books and games to non-canon status. It’s an extremely vocal minority of insecure male fans who are threatened by the inclusion of prominent non-white non-male characters and they’re just using the “Disney killed the EU!”, “Disney raped my childhood!”, “Rey is a Mary Sue!”, “The Sequels suck!”, etc arguments as a dogwhistle so they don’t have to openly admit that they’re racist or misogynistic.

I’m sure there are legitimate non-chud fans who take umbrage with the Disney films for various real reasons, but it’s hard to fault anyone for assuming they’re arguing in bad faith at first glance when 99.9% of Star Wars discussion on the internet has been co-opted by chud fanboys.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Have the Judoon always had rad mohawks and I just never noticed? :confused:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

:ohdear:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
That’s a great Dalek color scheme

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Vinylshadow posted:

What are the round things?

Conversation pieces

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

thrawn527 posted:

It's a rumor that was posted in the spoiler thread, but it has zero evidence backing it up so far.

This is just like all the times Rian Johnson or Kathleen Kennedy were “rumored” to have been unceremoniously fired.

Curious how these rumors only ever seem to get started about creators that chud-adjacent nerds can’t stand for whatever reason :thunk:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The only Who cosplay I’ve ever done was 7 a few years back, but I’d absolutely attempt a 12 costume if it wasn’t 95° here pretty much year-round. My sister had a great 11 cosplay at one point too.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

marktheando posted:

Do you live inside an oven? I'm pretty sure humans aren't supposed to live in places where it gets that hot.

Houston, so basically. I guess it’s more like a pressure cooker than an oven with the humidity.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Just lol that Levine thinks Neil Gaiman, of all people, would deliver the chud-adjacent version of the show he wants.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Astroman posted:

As the Gemini Man technology becomes more affordable, by the time we hit the 60th we might actually be able to get young versions of every living Doctor played by the actual actors running around.

It’s already weird enough seeing legit costumes and props on the show, pouring money into real cg de-aging tech just wouldn’t be Doctor Who.

I propose you have the older Doctors wear paper or plastic masks of their 1970s/80s selves, the kind that cut your tongue when you try to talk with them on.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

TinTower posted:

The AirZone Solution?

Colin, Syl, Davison, Pertwee, and Nicola Bryant in “an environmental thriller for the 90’s” written by Nick Briggs.

I’ve never actually worked up the courage to watch it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
A friend suggested watching a 1973 horror anthology called The Vault of Horror and look who randomly showed up:

I gotta say, the only way to improve Tom’s run would have been a giant curly 70’s beard.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Another night, another Doctor showing up in an Amicus horror anthology.

This time it's Pertwee in a segment of The House that Dripped Blood called "The Cloak" (of course), in which he buys an old cloak that turns him into a vampire (naturally). It's the first Pertwee thing I've seen in a long while, maybe it's time to finally dig into Inferno or The Daemons.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I have an Indiana Jones jacket made by the same little shop in England that made them for Raiders and Crusade that I wear the few times it gets cold here and no one has ever noticed it’s from a movie. It’s a bit more normal looking than 13’s coat though.

I did have a brown corduroy coat similar to 4’s at one point that I wore all the time and that thing was comfortable as heck.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Hearing about Eccleston doing better mentally and physically and also starting to embrace the fandom warms the hell out of my soul. He seems like a genuinely cool dude.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I have yet to enjoy a single DW Xmas special :shrug:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

『BACK IN TIME』

Someone in this thread once mentioned that they always think of Clash lyrics when picturing 7, so now I’m just gonna think of Huey Lewis & The News when I picture 12.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Capaldi did go on to be in one of the greatest vampire-snake-lady movies ever made, though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

There's a great bit in the Day of the Doctor novelisation about the Cushing films. Honestly, everyone should read that book.

Is that where they say the Cushing films exist in-universe and were inspired by 1’s actual adventures?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Not sure if this makes it better or worse

https://twitter.com/MJGallagher1_/status/1195031639228919810?s=20

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Argue posted:

Is there anything Doctor Who related I can see or do here in London, preferably something near other things a tourist should see?

Go to Fopp/HMV and buy every story on DVD for peanuts.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Give me giant console rooms again, I’m tired of cramped small stuff. It’s tough to beat 11’s original copper and glass room or 7/8’s Victorian study.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

The Doctor Who Facebook story has posted some lovely clear console room shots, and it’s still unclear how it all fits together. Did you know there’s stairs? Also is that ceiling crystal and the blue bits on the joints new?

My clumsy rear end would 100% catch my toe on those steps and eat poo poo every single time.