Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The_Doctor posted:

Just saw Resolution in a Berlin cinema because they were showing it today for reasons(?). Looked good on the big screen, nice mix, still funny. Weirdly, the audience (filling maybe 1/3rd of the place) barely reacted to anything though, which may just be Germans generally.

Are you American? In my experience in British cinemas, audiences are always very quiet, which might also hold true elsewhere in Europe. (Which is why I'll make sure not to go to any cinemas if I ever find myself in the USA.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Good colour cybermen stories, imo: "Earthshock", "Rise of the Cybermen"/"Age of Steel", "Army of Ghosts"/"Doomsday", "Dark Water"/"Death in Heaven", and "World Enough and Time"/"The Doctor Falls".

Not a bad run. Even out of the less good ones, only really "Revenge of the Cybermen" and "Silver Nemesis" are bad. The rest just don't really do anything with the cybermen. (The only one I haven't seen is "Attack of the Cybermen".)

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Astroman posted:

1.31x in the US. I always thought $12.99 or $20 was fair; when that goes to $17 or $26 it's a bit much. $40 for a season of Jago and Litefoot? Really?

It's not like the exchange rate means suddenly you are making more or less salary, so why should I suddenly have to pay more? A guy in the UK who made £50k a year 5 years ago and was paying £12.99 for an audio is paying the same portion of their salary now as they were then. If I made $50k a year 5 years ago and was paying $12.99 for an audio I now have to pay $17. It's not like I was reaping some big benefit over the other guy.When the US Dollar went up I didn't take a pay cut.

It's not going to increase their UK sales; people won't say "Finally, now the pricing is fair, I'll buy more!" What will happen is they'll sell less titles to international buyers, but maybe non-UK sales are such a small portion they can lose us?

A real shame. I have spent thousands on Big Finish and this is how they feel about my business? :(

edit: LOL on the Not The Big Finish Forum some guy pointed out this is DOUBLING prices for Canadians.

http://notthebigfinishforum.freeforums.net/thread/5367/important-information-customers-overseas

:suicide:

A person earning £50,000 in the UK is not equivalent to someone earning $50,000 in America, though, it's actually more like $65,000. Currencies are worth different amounts, and it makes sense that prices should recognise that. British people are already having to pay the equivalent of $17 for an audio because that's what exchange rates mean.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Big fan of the UI on that site, which has obviously not been updated since 4:3 monitors fell out of fashion.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Arguing about colourisation re: Doctor Who is a bit of a moot point anyway. Fan projects are unlikely to ever complete very much given the length of time the process takes, and commercially it costs far too much for BBC Worldwide to want to bother for anything but the few Pertwee serials that needed it, and that was just meant as restoration work, not an alternate version.

(However, I would like a version of Twice Upon a Time re-edited into 4:3 black & white with 25-minute episodes.)

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Astroman posted:

they've just about come out and said in The Two Masters and the River story that Beevers IS the Delgado Master after being injured and unable to regenerate

I've not heard the River story but The Two Masters really doesn't support this. Beevers still sounds like himself before he gets crispy.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

i feel like if you get into old bbc sci-fi for the acting you're not going to get much out of it either

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The Doctor outfit is obviously from Dark Eyes, but what's the Dalek from? One of the Time War sets?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

in no world can Dragonfire be described as better than anything, except maybe if you're comparing it to Delta and the Bannermen

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

They seem to do it all the time but I wish they were a bit less dramatic with the trailers. Don't really need the Inception horn for a Doctor Who reconstruction, lads.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The post which is now deleted included a picture of an (undergraduate?) dissertation from the 1970s or 80s about vampires in film by a then student at the Glasgow School of Art, Peter Capaldi. Not sure why it was deleted - maybe he just didn't want the attention on the tweet, or maybe it was inaccurate in some way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

It's just some yellow lighting. She's hinted already in interviews etc that she'll be back for Series 13.

cargohills fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 23, 2019