Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Most affecting "Doctor Dies" audio is a Seven story that I won't give away, but has "death" in the title. The companions' grief in that one felt so real, and then it goes :smith: for other reasons. Holy poo poo that was good.

"Heaven Sent" holds that same kind of feeling throughout, which makes the ending of "Hell Bent" feel like even more of a cop-out. (Although I'm not as mad about that as I probably should be.) It also has one of the realest lines I've ever heard in Doctor Who:

Heaven Sent posted:

It's funny, the day you lose someone isn't the worst. At least you've got something to do. It's all the days they stay dead.

I think about that line a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Clara's ending was definitely more a problem in execution than in concept, and I was much happier when the Bill re-do, since it bookended the season (and Bill's run).

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
At this point, I think we can say that "timeless child" referred to the Doctor's own fears in general, as opposed to being abandoned Arc Words.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

marktheando posted:

Nobody talks about Planet of Giants but it’s one of my favourite Hartnells. It’s a fun story with charmingly terrible special effects.

I’m onto Dalek Invasion of Earth now which is also very cool and good.

"Planet of the Giants" is total peak Hartnell. No technobabble solution, no new superpowers. Just the Doctor and his friends breaking poo poo and starting fires until the Bad Guys' plan falls apart and/or they explode.

"Dalek Invasion of Earth" is also a good example of this, for that matter.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Hey, I've got that Annual!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

fist4jesus posted:

Edit: The plastic men, have HAND guns, ho ho ho. Its just terrible. But fun somehow and Rose is immediately believable.

The OG Autons also had hand guns. It's a kind of visual shorthand that we're going to be celebrating and building on the original show, goofiness and all, rather than seeing it as an embarrassment.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
You're right, that scene was utterly disgusting and easily one of the lowest points of the Moffat era. Especially with a framing narrative that's supposed to make Davros more sympathetic!

Davros1 posted:

What about the Doctor stealing Davros' chariot? That's literally stealing a person's wheelchair and mocking them.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Maelstache posted:

I don't really know anything about Bob Holmes' politics, other than his frustration with the Tax Office.

Sounds like somebody needs to watch "Caves of Androzani" again. :colbert:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Oh, come on now! Be fair!

They were never relevant.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
That's the amnesia. Because this is obviously from the story where he has that.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Like Moffat, JNT's first and last seasons were his best, so Season 18 is a fantastic choice.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Astroman posted:

Like when I watched Remembrance in 89, as awesome as the rest of the episode was, that static globe made me cringe.

Hold on, I got this...

It looks like a static globe because that's what it is. Due to a severe lack of resources from their own civil war (ironically mirroring the Thal/Kaled war), the Daleks had only a limited range of time travel capability at this point. (The Time Corridor seems to require the power source of a functioning starship or space station, and we only saw their TARDIS-like timeship once, so it was likely a one-of-a-kind prototype lost forever thanks to the navigational skills of Bad Math Dalek). They could only jump forward or backward a few decades. The static globe was similar enough to touch-based display technology (that the Daleks have for whenever they need to show something to inferior species with their useless, useless "hands") that they snagged it from the near future and modified it with Space Tech. It's no different than the Tenth or Eleventh Doctors making Space poo poo out of household objects.

As for how they acquired the static globe, please consult my pulse-pounding tie-in novel Radio Shack of the Daleks.

After The War fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 26, 2019

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Re-edit that clumsily into a mushy, confusing mass interrupted only by the occasional pledge drive and we'll be talkin'.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Chokes McGee posted:

On a scale from Scourge of the Shadow to Nekromantia how bad is it

"Scourge of the Shadow" sounds like some TS Eliot poo poo and now I want that to be real instead of "Shadow of the Scourge." :smithcloud:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Like 90% of Classic Who is about mining/labor/land rights disputes and more franchises can learn from that.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jerusalem posted:

Wha... what? Why? How? No scratch that, why? WHY!?! :psyduck:

The Daleks finally figured out how to use Adobe Premiere?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I found their cut of Caves of Androzani!

(Bearing in mind that Morgus is a business owner, and not officially part of the government in any way.)

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Season 15 has some of the worst visuals ever put on screen. I'll just put this one here:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
  • You can, in fact, mend people.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Box of Bunnies posted:

"The TARDIS is landing in random places out of the Doctor's control because women don't know how to computer!"

Now I want someone to say this on the show so Whittaker can reply with "Total nonsense! I've never known how to fly this thing!" :)

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jerusalem posted:

"And what do we say to the God of Death?"
"Not toda-"
"That's right, we mock it relentlessly before exposing this so-called divinity as having feet of clay, outclassed by the true divinity that is the greater aspirations of the human soul defined in truth by its own mortality!"

Given how Sylvester McCoy talks to gods, we can only assume he's doing this at the time:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jerusalem posted:

Dalek Aristocracy: The Emperor Dalek is the greatest of all Daleks, who themselves are superior to all other lifeforms
Dalek Communism: The Supreme Dalek is the greatest of all Daleks, who themselves are superior to all other lifeforms

The two couldn't be more different!

Remembrance is so loving good.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jerusalem posted:

a version of the Doctor's personality which proceeds to completely sabotage their society

FirstDoctor.txt

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Trin Tragula posted:

Oh christ, not this ancient and highly flammable chestnut again. And now it's coming to Twitter, of all places. I can't stand it, I'm going off with an unearthly child to join the Tribe of Gum and forget all about it, because there's no TV in 100,000 BC.

Seriously, by far the best thing about NewWho is that people now have other things to argue about besides working titles, UNIT dating, and the precise meaning of "Doctor Who is required".

But the old-school titles can be so prescient! For instance,

is great because it's always true. :smugbert:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
IIRC, Colin Baker's really into crosswords so it's basically a pair of crossword clues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I know that Doctor Who by its nature is incompatible with the idea of a "canon," but if there were one it drat well better include that.