Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

SimplyCosmic posted:

But in Heaven Sent he straight up killed the Doctor. Full stop. The character we've followed for 50+ years died for the dumbest of reasons.

And then a duplicated lump of flesh strolled off with his face.

It's best not to think about the ethics of teleporters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Narsham posted:

It was a huge waste to have the Doctor find the Dalek via tech instead of having Yaz call in to the station, though.

Yaz is the most disappointing character this series because they repeatedly refuse to use her police knowledge and training. They even explicitly called out at in the first episode that she wanted to have more responsibility, then never showed why she deserves it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I see season 11 has caught a bad case of Last Jedi syndrome over on Rotten Tomatoes (i.e. "audience score" pile-driven into the low 20s). I assume the usual suspects are to blame.

On another forum some idiot linked a YouTube video where a guy was boasting about how the dropping RT score showed that Series 11 was trash, seemingly missing that the score dropping down over time after the series had ended was a pretty good sign that it's a result of a campaign to bring the score down.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

That reminds me, not only did I recently find out that they're making a tv series version of What We Do In The Shadows (if you haven't seen that movie, check it out, it's incredible), but Matt Berry is playing one of the vampires. It's going to be fantastic.

If you haven't seen it you should check out the first WWDITS spinoff Wellington Paranormal which was made by a lot of the original crew and is a COPS style show about the police officers from the movie investigating paranormal poo poo in Wellington. One of the episodes is directly about the young vampire from the movie.

Edit: if we're talking dream "Master wants to be good and is trying hard but completely doing it wrong" dream casting I would like to suggest Emma Watson.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

In two years the show has been back on the air longer than the hiatus.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I'm fine with colouring Who footage because it fits a long tradition of cool fan projects.

If it was the BBC doing it and saying this is the version they would distribute from now on it would be destructive, but this is more like a what if and isn't any different to animated recreations or fan art.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Flight Bisque posted:

The shot in Journey's End where Freema looks directly at the camera and mugs, it makes my very soul hurt.

An entire episode of Who filmed Peep Show style could have potential if they found a good reason for it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Just imagine, if this had taken off and it had to be accounted for when considering the shows international audience we might have avoided the whole "Doctor.. WHO?!" Moffat obsession.

Actually that makes me curious now. I assume Doctor Who runs dubbed in some countries, is hisher name translated phonetically to sound similar (as it seems this South Korean artist did) or translated with another word that means "who"?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Barry Foster posted:

Doctor Who is mostly pretty progressive but it's ultimately floofy entertainment and is emphatically not the medium in which to discuss one of the worst crimes against humanity in history

On the other hand the Daleks were basically Nazis.

edit: Since we're talking about union stuff, I love that the TOS Enterprise bridge apparently could have had a lot more animated screens, but the union rules apparently meant they couldn't automate a bunch of them.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Have they ever done the idea of a show about the Doctor existing somewhere in universe? Like Stargate did with Wormhole Xtreme?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

"Yes... Yes I like to think it does...."

God Day of the Doctor was so loving good.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Shame about the Capaldi finale, otherwise we would be about due for another multi-doc episode.

I hope they get one before the revival actors (and Paul) age too much for it to be convincing.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Davros1 posted:

The Doctor aging when meeting his other self was hand waved away in "Time Crash", so it wouldn't be a problem.

That whole thing was very tongue in cheek, would be odd for a full episode.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Astroman posted:

As the Gemini Man technology becomes more affordable, by the time we hit the 60th we might actually be able to get young versions of every living Doctor played by the actual actors running around.

This though, with a lookalike in a wig and some deep fakery type action with a bit of budget behind it could end up being feasible. Imagine the insanity if a young(er) Tom Baker suddenly showed up in a story.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I wouldn't underestimate the black and white effect.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Petition started to get Toxxupation or whatever he's called now to start watching Ultraman.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Oh poo poo a Doctor Who ga.... oh, it's VR garbage :sigh:

Still, I have to admit that when I saw you could walk out of the TARDIS my first thought was to run around it to freak out about it being bigger on the inside :3:

One of the early things I built in VR was a TARDIS. Never ended up taking it beyond a proof of concept since someone else started on a VR Tardis project that was further along - but yeah it's drat cool to pop in and out of it and get a feeling for what it truly means for it to be bigger on the inside:

The video I recorded of mine isn't very exciting, but here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT6mdlUEFsI

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Payndz posted:

Save The Cat, which is the Hollywood screenwriting manual of the moment, calls it Double Mumbo Jumbo. You can have one thing that requires suspension of disbelief in a story (eg, aliens or vampires) but not two (aliens and vampires). I've also heard it called something like "two levels of woo-woo".

Rather than the number of elements, in my opinion it's more about how they are introduced. If the outlandish things are part of the core premise it can work, if they are presented as a what if.

For example, what if a 19th century supernatural world suffered an independence day style invasion could work, because that's the premise.

Once you have established a premise and got people over that however, everything should be consistent in the context of that world. You couldn't just have vampires pop up in the finale of Independence Day.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

docbeard posted:

Twelve offered to do it to Bill too until she was all "yeah, gently caress that," but that (particularly in conjunction with the way Twelve and Clara's story ended) felt like something a lot more specific and deliberate than "Moffat loves erasing peoples' memories".

Doctor Dances had its happy ending be based around the little boy "remembering" who his mummy was.

The entire concept of the cracks involved people forgetting about their loved ones after they were erased, with the ending to the season based on Amy's memories.

Beast Below as mentioned.

The Silence were all about forgetting things.

TinTower posted:

I saw this so now you all have to too.

I can totally see Eleven excitedly telling that last one to Amy as she shakes her head at him.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Senor Tron posted:

I can totally see Eleven excitedly telling that last one to Amy as she shakes her head at him.

Couldn't resist:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Has Tom Baker lost a lot of weight in the last few years?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Glad they're getting some new and different voices in, but at the same time I'm still sad they haven't pulled Jamie Mathieson back in for an episode.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

fractalairduct posted:

Do you think the angel who got Martha and the Doctor in Blink still got fed, or did them being able to return to time travelling negate the potential energy?

The angels were going to be able to feed on the TARDIS, so it probably counted.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Muppetjedi posted:

During the "Somethings coming for me" bit am I the only one who can see the yellow regeneration light starting?

I hope not, Jodie needs more series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Add a spinning zipping TARDIS darting throughout it and 13's intro would be perfect.

The Eccleston/Tennant first Intro are the most fun, they really make it feel like you're about to go off on this big adventure.