Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
i miss guild wars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcFEe2odAuo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
FFXI because you actually had to work with other people to make any progress in the game. WoW and every MMO made after it are essentially just single player games that happen to have other assholes running around whom you wish weren't there.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Devils Affricate posted:

FFXI because you actually had to work with other people to make any progress in the game. WoW and every MMO made after it are essentially just single player games that happen to have other assholes running around whom you wish weren't there.

i bought a lot of mmo games wishing they were going to be ffxi again and none of them were.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
progress quest

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skY_CS19Fdw

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

i bought a lot of mmo games wishing they were going to be ffxi again and none of them were.

the website is still up, are people still playing this??

Kak
Sep 27, 2002

I wish another company would buy the IP for this and either revamp or make a sequel.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Shogunner posted:

They changed the game to make it faster and easier to the point where it no longer resembles its original self. It's maintained by a skeleton crew and basically just serves to satisfy old nerds' nostalgia and inability to let go.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Dungeons and Dragons Online, you could do pretty much every quest or raid with just a couple of good friends.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Kak posted:

I wish another company would buy the IP for this and either revamp or make a sequel.

For real, Funcom cannot be trusted to make anything good anymore.

Unless they made a sim game about running a game development company that keeps making bad games. They have a lot of experience, you see.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
but everquest and ultima are from the 1990s?

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Shogunner posted:

yep, and they're still paying 14 bucks a month to play it too. square's most financially successful game.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Anarchy Online. For reals.
It was/is a buggy pile of garbage, but there's just a ton to it. Very much a game you could log in and screw around for a half hour by yourself, or login all afternoon and hangout with other people. Always new stuff to do; from crafting to exploring , quests, stories, or just cool social areas to hang out in. Plus, later on they never cared about two-boxing, so that was something more to do.

Also City of Heroes, if only for having fun making different costumes and characters.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

shovelbum posted:

but everquest and ultima are from the 1990s?
I was going to say, I was already burning out on MMORPGs by 2000

Anarchy Online was probably my favorite, then either Lord of the Rings Online or Age of Conan... But I played each of those off and on for a few months, as opposed to Ultima Online and EverQuest being almost all I played for the year after each came out. Good/bad times

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I’ve been playing Everquest for almost 20 years OP.

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

Anarchy Online was a good video game and social space

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Space Station 13.

When the clown got a gun the whole game went off the rails.

Sphear
Jan 13, 2011

I've had an on again off again relationship with Everquest for the past 18 years. My dick wasn't even getting hard yet when I started, and now I'm married. There's a really good emulated server for the first couple of expansions that regularly has 1500 or so people playing so I'm not the only one who can't let it go.

ScaryJen
Jan 27, 2008

Keepin' it classy.
College Slice
I really liked Requiem: Bloodymare until they took out all the satan reindeers and added the cutesy fairy people as a player race. Allods Online was pretty neat, too.

gooser422
Oct 27, 2015

tribes rpg

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Sponge Baathist posted:

Space Station 13.

ss13 is one of the few true mmorpgs in the world. im pretty biased here but it's still the truth.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgBZ_X2_h9A

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Lord of the Rings online was pretty sick.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Asheron’s Call

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i played a truly depressing amount of ffxi but in hindsight the game was such garbage.

macdonal hamborkles
Mar 29, 2010

Twerk it good!
Posting to big it up for SWG

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Rubies of Eventide mothefucker

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Asheron's Call owned. Most fun combat in an old-school MMO and actual rewarding platforming in dungeons. Darktide was a hilarious PvP server. The skill system was broken as hell though, but it didn't really matter.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

technically it existed and ppl were playing it in the 00s

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Does Neverwinter Nights 1 count

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

2000s was Shadowbane for sure. Play to crush. UO is always gonna be my #1 though, 90s supremacy.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Earth & Beyond

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I remember a school buddy of mine was really into Faldon, whatever happened to that.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
10six if anyone remembers that lol

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I still have a few times a year where I seriously consider resubscribing to UO just to wander around for awhile sight seeing. That and complete bulk order blacksmithing deeds.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Heath posted:

Does Neverwinter Nights 1 count

hell yea dude tons of weird rear end private persistent servers are still running

that game online taught me how to type fast as a mofo

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I must have played like 2 hours of Ragnarok Online before realizing mmorpgs weren't my things

RossMan4Life
Dec 18, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Star Wars Galaxies. I hop on the emu server once a year or two and play for a couple weeks. Goontown's a ghost town or was the last time I scooted through.

The player economy, crafting, and the promise to have mediocre starfighting again make it enjoyable. Everything else weighs heavily against it. Oh, it's got a very customizable UI too. Never would have been able to keep coming back if not for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Captain Beans posted:

hell yea dude tons of weird rear end private persistent servers are still running

that game online taught me how to type fast as a mofo

If I still had 18 hours a day to pretend to be an elf online I would jump on that poo poo posthaste