Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

PJ broke the whiteboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

They're on the ball again

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Also how are they capturing all these old analog-output-only consoles? I feel like that NO SIGNAL or whatever screen comes up quite often on SNES stuff.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

SoftNum posted:

AFAIK without using a service (which I think are usually paid for streams this "big") it takes twice the compute and twice the bandwidth to do it. I also heard that, at least in the past, youtube used to intentionally make it more difficult to do.

If you want to have subs / accept bits / get money in any other way from Twitch, you have to sign a contract with Amazon, and one of the clauses of the contract prohibits simulcasting.

quote:

2.2. Live Content Exclusivity. Solely for any live audio-visual work you choose to provide to us as User Content (your Live Twitch Content), starting from beginning of the Initial Broadcast of any such Live Twitch Content, and continuing for a period of twenty-four (24) hours following the end of the Initial Broadcast of such Live Twitch Content (the Exclusivity Period), such Live Twitch Content is exclusive to Twitch (even as to you). During the Exclusivity Period of any Live Twitch Content, you will not, nor permit or authorize any third party to, broadcast, stream, distribute, exhibit and otherwise make available such Live Twitch Content in any manner. Notwithstanding the foregoing, you have the right to make any Live Twitch Content available, during the Exclusivity Period, solely via the Twitch Services. After the Exclusivity Period of any Live Twitch Content, the license to such Live Twitch Content will become non-exclusive and you will have the right to broadcast, stream, distribute, exhibit and otherwise make available such Live Twitch Content in any manner and format desired by you. The Initial Broadcast means the initial broadcasting, streaming, distribution, or other exhibition of Live Twitch Content via the internet, whether such Live Twitch Content is broadcast on a real-time, live basis as the subject event is occurring or such Live Twitch Content has been prerecorded and is being initially broadcast for the first time via any manner or method of streaming.

Granted, GDQ lawyers might be willing to negotiate that clause with Amazon's lawyers since it's a charity stream, but for us normal plebs, you gotta pick one service or the other.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Drone posted:

Also how are they capturing all these old analog-output-only consoles? I feel like that NO SIGNAL or whatever screen comes up quite often on SNES stuff.

I'm sure UraniumAnchor could give you the setup they use as a technical expert, but there are scalers and capture devices that allow for that kinda thing. I believe they might be using OSSC's (Open Source Scan Converter) which many retro game streamers use.

Although I have no idea why Earthworm Jim 2 kept flashing that NO SIGNAL thing. It might sometimes happen when a game changes resolution on the fly.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Drone posted:

An article on last year's setup: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/01/how-to-play-and-broadcast-video-games-non-stop-for-a-week-straight/

TLDR: Analog signal goes from console to a video distribution amplifier, which makes multiple copies of an analog signal with effectively no lag (nanoseconds).

One signal goes to TV for the runner. Some signals go to projectors / other monitors at the venue. And at lest one signal goes to OSSC (upscaler) and gets converted to HDMI, at which point it gets captured by Avermedia cards for mixing into OBS.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

What is a man? If not a Symphony of the Night runner

Don't think I've ever seen a PSTV version of SOTN.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

TeaJay posted:

What is a man? If not a Symphony of the Night runner

Don't think I've ever seen a PSTV version of SOTN.

Any% SOTN runs suck

Cause they're over too quickly!. Run good, though.

EDIT: vvv Agreed! We watched that one on the pregame. I forgot how long it took to do the Dracula/wolf skip thing though.

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 7, 2019

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

SoftNum posted:

Any% SOTN runs suck

Cause they're over too quickly!. Run good, though.

One of the best GDQ SOTN moments was Romscout's blindfolded run where his controller broke during it and caused all kinds of hilarious mishaps.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

TeaJay posted:

Although I have no idea why Earthworm Jim 2 kept flashing that NO SIGNAL thing. It might sometimes happen when a game changes resolution on the fly.

This. The SNES version of Earthworm Jim 2 does some tricks with mid-frame resolution changes to do the parallax backgrounds during the Puppy Love minigame, and many capture cards don't like it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Have they announced the dates/location of SGDQ 2019 yet or does that happen at the end of AGDQ? I've got a bunch of vacation saved up and kind of want to go this year if it's still local.

Sorry if this isn't the right thread to ask.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

IcePhoenix posted:

Have they announced the dates/location of SGDQ 2019 yet or does that happen at the end of AGDQ? I've got a bunch of vacation saved up and kind of want to go this year if it's still local.

Yeah, pretty sure they announce it at the end of AGDQ.

And I was thinking about going myself.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

IcePhoenix posted:

It'll be announced at the end of AGDQ but if "local" for you is the Twin Cities area then hell yeah earmark that vacation.

I already had to schedule my vacation for the year and guessed the last week of June, here's hoping I'm correct.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I love how absurdly strong the shield rod combination is in Symphony of the Night. When I played through for the first time I used the shield rod for a bit just doing the back forward attack with it before finding the shield boost effects. Once I tried it with the Alucard Shield I can remember my jaw dropping at how powerful it was. I ended up not using it to finish the game because it was just too much.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Jolo posted:

I love how absurdly strong the shield rod combination is in Symphony of the Night. When I played through for the first time I used the shield rod for a bit just doing the back forward attack with it before finding the shield boost effects. Once I tried it with the Alucard Shield I can remember my jaw dropping at how powerful it was. I ended up not using it to finish the game because it was just too much.

It kinda takes away some of the fun because you can totally cheese every boss, even Galamoth, insanely fast. SOTN is one of my all-time favourite games but when I do a run nowadays I consciously try not to fall into using the SR+AS combo and rather use the more uncommon weapons.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Oyster posted:

It'll be announced at the end of AGDQ but if "local" for you is the Twin Cities area then hell yeah earmark that vacation.

Yeah, I work at the U of M :haw: It's usually around our fiscal year end/beginning but I might be able to swing it with proper planning now that I've been here a while.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I hope that strength (?)-boost trick was worth it because he took a while on it

Also I have never played and GBA or DS -vanias but I'd like to try someday.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah, I work at the U of M :haw: It's usually around our fiscal year end/beginning but I might be able to swing it with proper planning now that I've been here a while.

I live on the other side in GR and it's a yearly trip for me, yep.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

e: wrong thread

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Aria of Sorrow is another fine run, the quality of runs and couch banter has been really high so far this year. If you didn't see PJ's ActRaiser 2, definitely check that one, and for the following interview on why he likes the ActRaiser series so much.

Also the end boss is a living wall and a skeleton worm

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah Aria was a good run.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

that alucarby :eyepop:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Rirse posted:

Yeah Aria was a good run.

Castlevania Chronicles should be another good one. I've been stuck in the clock tower boss so now I can see how it'll be crushed horribly.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Whoa just saw Kaubocks is doing the commentary for SMRPG tomorrow

Cool

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Not a Children posted:

Whoa just saw Kaubocks is doing the commentary for SMRPG tomorrow

Cool

I wish it didn't have such a garbage time slot :smith:

SMRPG is always a GDQ speedrun that I love to watch since it's one of my favorite games but even if it starts at the current projected time (lol) it won't finish until after 1 am for me

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Well, it's scheduled to start at 5.30 AM local time so us europeans aren't getting it much better.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
all of the Castlevania stuff has been pretty great so far, and I'm looking forward to Bloodstained: CotM later on.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I was sad that Castlevania III (the only one I know) wasn't on the schedule, but now it is! Wow!

Resonator
Aug 5, 2018
https://twitter.com/BU_Pub/status/1082357188125970432

Denied because someone else's card was used to pay

Now that's the customer service I have grown to expect from GDQ

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Resonator posted:

https://twitter.com/BU_Pub/status/1082357188125970432

Denied because someone else's card was used to pay

Now that's the customer service I have grown to expect from GDQ

I was wondering what the clusterfuck would be this year

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/BU_Pub/status/1082359331721482240?s=19

Classy

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

So I take it the Castlevania II run is going over estimate because of bad RNG? Was unable to watch the whole time. Or did he take some unexpected deaths somewhere?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Oof. Why is GDQ being lovely about this when it seems like something that could be easily resolved?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
big loving surprise that gdq staff are incompetent and enforce rules arbitrarily (while keeping an abuser on their platform)

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

It's not day 3 yet.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

TeaJay posted:

So I take it the Castlevania II run is going over estimate because of bad RNG? Was unable to watch the whole time. Or did he take some unexpected deaths somewhere?

He jumped into that face boss and game overed then had to grind a bunch of hearts, second extra grinding session in the run

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Punchy finds the mute button and is now able to read donations

Resonator
Aug 5, 2018
That tweet was posted onto r speedrun and the amount of hard line event defenders in the thread is amazing

'its this guys fault his details were incorrect! too bad!'

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
Oh good, I'm back in time to see Bloodstained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Resonator posted:

That tweet was posted onto r speedrun and the amount of hard line event defenders in the thread is amazing

'its this guys fault his details were incorrect! too bad!'

It's Brossentia who posted the tweet on r/speedrun too.