Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Oh the Jorogumo is a known yokai so I'll take it I guess,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Having Hyakkimaru remain a mute protagonist even after getting his voice back is disappointing even if it makes sense within the story. I feel like it just highlights how somewhat bland Dororo is in this adaptation. That's the weekly Dororo wrap with Gorf.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Apparently this is an anime original episode and its a nice breather after the last episodes. There's also a few hints of what could happen later on. When the spider demon says to the man that she never harms people and just lets them recover she's clearly lying, but shes lying so that he wouldn't be disappointed or hate her. When Hyaki sees her spirit shes bright red like all the other demons he's fought, but when she's standing by the wounded man with him begging to spare her, her spirit starts to whiten. Its then that Hyaki lowers his guard and lets them flee.

Dororo mentions that its good that he got his hearing back because it was that impassioned plea that changes Hyaki's mind, but it was entirely his spirit sight. It goes back to what the old man said in EP2 about those with sight being easily tricked, things wont be the same once Hyaki regains it

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 18, 2019

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i really liked the story as written, but i wasn't super fond of this episode. the animation was almost nonexistent, and the overall direction lacked the punch to really sell the story. it kinda sucks, i think that story could've been one of the better episodes if it didn't feel like everyone else involved just stopped trying or something.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah the animation and direction took a serious downturn that episode. So much so it was actively distracting. Hopefully that doesn't last.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

when's monday

https://twitter.com/robiiiiiimmm/status/1098972671788736513

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Kind of a boring episode but Dororo actively participated in this one which I hope continues.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Great episode. Loved the design of the monster, and the guest character was great fun. Animation for the fight looked great, clever use of Hyakkimaru’s disability to their advantage, Dororo being brave was awesome, and the interaction between the two protags at the end was adorable!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i liked the detail of hyakkimaru throwing rocks to train his ability to hear distances after he found that he couldn't rely on his spirit sight anymore. there's been a nice evolution of his hearing at first being debilitating, then being a disadvantage, then being a relatively neutral thing for him, and now he's finally been able to utilize it to his advantage.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I wonder if this demon felt resentful about the random sludge demon getting Hyakkimaru's skin while being a giant two headed flying centipede that wreathes itself in a cloud of unholy ash and getting only his nose

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

They cut out a whole lot from the original which is a shame, since Dororo's backstory was a lot of what made me a fan. They kept a lot of the biggest scenes but the context has been changed and they aren't as affecting in my opinion. It's a decent enough adaptation but I'm still disappointed. It could have been worse I guess. I'm glad they just came out and said Dororo is a girl, that being kept as an ending plot twist is one of the worst parts of the original.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Dororo Rising

Also episode was good.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

strange assortment from that group

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Who's watching all these Date A Lives

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

episode was alright. a lot of these episodes are serviceable to pretty good, but are generally lacking the extra oomph to really be great. i could see all the framework of a pretty good story here, but the end product is more "better than adequate" than anything

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I've absolutely seen that "no cup, put the hot soup in my hands" thing before. Anyone know where?

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
Steel Ball Run?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Jo Joestar posted:

Steel Ball Run?
Thank you, that's the one.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Attack its weak point for massive damage!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I like Tahomaru and his retainers but this was still a pretty dull episode until the very end. More demons that are just wild animals as well.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I liked that Tahomaru explicitly does not take the easy way out, like his father did. He jumped right in, put himself in risk and refused to sacrifice one of his retainers. The animation quality was monster of the week bad, but the character development and series composition makes a whole lot more sense, you can actually see where the story is going

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
So are they gonna eat the crab or what

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

They did not eat the crab.

Obviously this arc is just beginning but the way they sped through the Sukeroku stuff that was the highlight of this arc in the original makes me nervous. Also the foxes were ugly, I was hoping they'd come up with a more entertaining battle than the original but it's still burning fox ghosts. If this show were a bit more ambitious they could have gotten experimental with the fox demons but I'm not really expecting anything like that out of this show.

I really liked Taohmaru doing detective work about Hyakkimaru though. I'd watch a show all about him and his two retainers going around solving problems. The play was good too although Dororo is sort of a jerk for taking a blind man to it.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
the blind priest went of his own accord so clearly there's something about plays that blind people find irresistible

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Running into the son you sacrificed to demons for power must be pretty high up there on the awkward moments list.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I mean he was specifically looking for him so its much less awkward

Story wise I wasnt expecting it to come in so early, I know that its about the same time as the manga did it but Tahomaru is a completely different character than he was in the manga from what I gather.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I mean he was specifically looking for him so its much less awkward

Story wise I wasnt expecting it to come in so early, I know that its about the same time as the manga did it but Tahomaru is a completely different character than he was in the manga from what I gather.

I'm glad with what they're doing with him, it's the most interesting part of the show to me by far.

I don't like that Daigo knows about Hyakkimaru because in the original it was this extremely sudden and unexpected awkward meeting and I thought it was cool how quickly he met Daigo again. Daigo communing with demons to discover his son's identity is just a little too supervillainous to me, especially in an adaptation that's trying to be more grounded

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

My complaint with the original Banmon saga was that it was paced too slow, but they added enough new stuff to this that it could have warranted an extra episode. This really moved at a breakneck pace and I kind of wish it had more room to breathe.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Honestly this was a really bad episode, the worst one yet. Why rush through all this important stuff?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Just started watching this and am three episodes in, enjoying it so far. I haven't read the manga or watched the old anime so I have no frame of reference, but yeah, it's good.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Discovered this show a few days ago and just caught up, I've really been enjoying it so far.

I guess they're going the Blood Will Tell route with Dororo being some sort of demon, unless there really is a map on her back

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Mess with Dororo and your whole village burns down.

The structure of the most recent episodes was really odd, but I can't quite phrase why.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I hope the next demon Hyakkimaru slays is the one that stole the animation budget.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I hope the next demon Hyakkimaru slays is the one that stole the animation budget.

killing MAPPA...a bold suggestion

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

It was the dude that made the renowned 4th episode of gurren lagan

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

wow what happened with that episode

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Ran out of time probably

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
the animation came back this episode!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

wow what happened with that episode

It was by the guy who did Episode 4 of Gurren Lagann. He has a... unique animation style.