Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

When your a kid you like most of the games you play probably, for a really long time, because you didn't pay for it and it's a good way to spend time instead of doing homework. But what was the first games that made you realize sometimes gaming sucks balls. I'll post mine when I think of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I didn't own it but I couldn't understand anything about Tomb Raider or why anybody could ever think it was fun when I could play Mario 64 instead. But I'll have to think abotu the first game I rented that got me to realize it sucked.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

A friend of mine had the infamous Atari 2600 version of Pac-Man, that was the first time I realized games could suck.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I really hated Space Station Silicon Valley, I think that was the first one

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I'm thinking there was never a NES or SNES game I played that I just hated so now I'm trying to think of which N64 game. Superman comes to mind first and probably would have been one of the first ones I rented because of how cool I thought the boxart was. I might have hated Quest 64 but my mom liked it.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

ET on the Atari

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Another one might be Myst, on the PC.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
im sure there was games i hated before it, but the first game i thought was so bad was funny was Rascal for ps1, an early 3d platformer that had tank controls instead of just copying mario

i had a demo disk of it and would pop it in for friends to show them how terrible it was and laugh

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

rental of conan on nes when i learned that european perverts make games wehere drops of water instant kill you and you press up to jump.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Donkey Kong country 3, which was especially disappointing because I really liked 1 and 2

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mysterious loyall X posted:

rental of conan on nes when i learned that european perverts make games wehere drops of water instant kill you and you press up to jump.

*yump

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
glover took 3 tries on different PCs to run and when i finally got it working it wad horrible and im still mad about it

VWVWV
Jan 19, 2010

Viva Piñata.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

VWVWV posted:

Viva Piñata.

Your parents must of beat the poo poo out of you.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

it’s reasonable to dislike viva piñata because of the style or pace of it but if you have some deep seeded hate for it I feel it’s one of those warning signs of psychopathy not unlike torturing animals or arson

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I had a high tolerance for really lovely games as a kid but I got the Where's Waldo game for Genesis as a birthday present and I thought it sucked rear end. That's probably the first time I actually outright hated a game.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Oh you know what my mom rented for me once. Mario is Missing. And I think I hated that game.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I had a high tolerance for really lovely games as a kid but I got the Where's Waldo game for Genesis as a birthday present and I thought it sucked rear end. That's probably the first time I actually outright hated a game.

The high tolerance for shittiness was useful as a poor kid. I have fond memories of garbage like quest 64, buck bumble etc.

malibu anime
Dec 23, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

elf help book posted:

im sure there was games i hated before it, but the first game i thought was so bad was funny was Rascal for ps1, an early 3d platformer that had tank controls instead of just copying mario

i had a demo disk of it and would pop it in for friends to show them how terrible it was and laugh

I was really young when playing Rascal but I think I was kind of like “what am I doing wrong with this game why am I bad at it I must be missing something” but really the game is poo poo and I am cursed that for some reason Rascal is one of the few ps1 discs that survived our family’s big collection of epic games that have gone missing. Rascal was going to be one of my answers.

Some awful gameboy color game Jimmy Neutron Jet Fusion though (hated the show as a kid, prob mom picked it up for me at a garage sale) was deff the first one I remember ever just shutting off and deciding to never ever play again.

Ill think more on this.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Peter Pan and the Pirates (NES)

malibu anime
Dec 23, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Wormskull posted:

Another one might be Myst, on the PC.

I like that one

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wormskull posted:

Oh you know what my mom rented for me once. Mario is Missing. And I think I hated that game.

My parents rented Mario's Time Machine for me once and I enjoyed it.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I really wanted to play Clayfighter for the SNES when I read about it in Nintendo Power and my mom said she rented the "Clay" game for me when I came home from school one day but it turned out to be some platformer called Claymates and I remember crying on the way home when I realized it was the wrong game. Then when I finally did play Clayfighter I didn't like it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kongming posted:

I really wanted to play Clayfighter for the SNES when I read about it in Nintendo Power and my mom said she rented the "Clay" game for me when I came home from school one day but it turned out to be some platformer called Claymates and I remember crying on the way home when I realized it was the wrong game. Then when I finally did play Clayfighter I didn't like it.

I remember Gamepro hyping this game so I looked it up and it’s by the same dev as Clayfighter. I also liked Clayfighter as a kid but it’s probably actually insanely bad as a fighter

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I remember Gamepro hyping this game so I looked it up and it’s by the same dev as Clayfighter. I also liked Clayfighter as a kid but it’s probably actually insanely bad as a fighter

it is

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
as a kid I rented Superman 64 and then like 2 minutes later read a Gamepro 0.5 lime green puking faces out of 10 review for it in the supermarket next to the blockbuster, so I feel like I was more prepared for how hosed up it was. Im still thinking about my answer, but good thread tho

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_0r6fRx6a8&t=90s

VWVWV
Jan 19, 2010

my morning jackass posted:

it’s reasonable to dislike viva piñata because of the style or pace of it but if you have some deep seeded hate for it I feel it’s one of those warning signs of psychopathy not unlike torturing animals or arson

I mean maybe hate is strong, it’s just the first game I can remember not living up to my own hype and the only 360 game we had around for a while.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

claymates was worse because it was a straight up european platformer whereas clayfighter even tho it was also euro game trash at least copied everything from street fighter instead of the amiga platforming handbook 101

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Yoshi's Story

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Clay Fighter was my first and only fightmans until 2012, when I did some fireballs in the training mode of SF4.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Blue Suede Goo

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Anticipation for the NES

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Actually, I think the first time I ever played a game and thought that it was unplayable was the Sega genesis port of an old PC fighting game called Tongue of the Fatman. I think I played it for a total of 5 minutes before turning it off and never playing it again.

Optimistic Puma
Aug 7, 2007
Where did the seagulls take my sister?

Frenz posted:

Peter Pan and the Pirates (NES)

Holy poo poo, same. I still played it until I beat it though because little kids are insane like that.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Make it something you didn't even want to play anymore IMO. It doesn't count as hating something if you beat it, especially as a kid. Your probably just back-projecting if that's the case.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Oh I just remembered that I rented Yoshi for the NES as a kid and in the back of my mind I knew it wasn’t a good puzzle game

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I stayed with some relatives in Baltimore over a weekend back in ‘98 or so and played about halfway through Yoshi’s Story because I thought it was a sequel to Yoshi’s Island. I was blown away by how much it sucked.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
I can remember renting Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness and after playing it for 2 hours on Friday I spent the rest of the weekend playing my old games instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Last Action Hero for the snes