Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Bommarito Automotive Group 500 Fast Facts

Race Weekend: Friday, August 23 - Saturday, August 24
Super Sperg Weekend Schedule

Track: World Wide Technology Raceway at Gateway, a 1.25-mile oval, just outside St. Louis, Missouri

quote:

World Wide Technology Raceway at Gateway is an intriguing 1.25-mile (2.01 km) oval favored by many of the drivers who race there due to the unique shape and varying degrees of banking in each corner. Turns 1 & 2 have characteristics similar to New Hampshire Motor Speedway while Turns 3 & 4 are similar to ISM Raceway in Phoenix and the track's egg shape is reminiscent of the oval at Twin Ring Motegi.

Race Distance: 248 laps / 312.5 miles / 500 kilometers

Entry List: Bommarito Automotive Group 500 (PDF)

Firestone Tire Allotment: Eleven sets for use throughout the weekend

Twitter: @WWTRaceway, @IndyCar, #Bommarito500, #INDYCAR
Event Website: https://www.wwtraceway.com

2018 Race Winner: Will Power (No. 12 Verizon Team Penske Chevrolet)
2018 Pole Winner: RAINED OUT
Qualifying Record: Will Power; 0:23.7206; 189.709 mph; 8/25/2017

NBC Sports Telecasts:
  • Qualifying: 6:00pm ET Friday, NBCSN (live)
  • Race: 8:00pm ET Saturday, NBCSN (live)

quote:

Leigh Diffey is the lead announcer for the NBCSN broadcasts this weekend alongside analysts Townsend Bell and Paul Tracy. Pit reporters are Kevin Lee, Dillon Welch and Robin Miller.

Advance Auto Parts INDYCAR Radio Network Broadcasts:

quote:

Mark Jaynes is the chief announcer alongside analyst Anders Krohn. Jake Query and Nick Yeoman are the turn announcers with Dave Furst, Rob Howden and Michael Young reporting from the pits. The race airs live on network affiliates, Sirius 216, XM 209, IndyCar.com, indycarradio.com and the INDYCAR Mobile app powered by NTT DATA. All NTT IndyCar Series practices and qualifying are available on IndyCar.com, indycarradio.com and the INDYCAR Mobile app, with qualifying also airing on Sirius 216 and XM 209.

NBC Sports Gold Live Streaming: All NTT IndyCar Series practice sessions and qualifying will stream live on INDYCAR Pass on NBC Sports Gold, NBC Sports' direct-to-consumer live streaming product that will put more INDYCAR programming content at viewers' fingertips than ever before. In addition, full-broadcast, same-day replays of NTT IndyCar Series races, live streams of Indy Lights presented by Cooper Tires races, edited cutdowns of NTT IndyCar Series and Indy Lights races and more will be available.

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Welcome to the NTT IndyCar Series 2019 Thread!

:question: tl;dr intro to 2019 season https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM2IAZSp5UM

2019 Schedule/Season Recap

2018 Fantasy IndyCar Podium

P1: KingShibby
P2: ???
P3: Bentai

Discord/IRC
Discord: https://discord.gg/kg3d2Uu
#ics on irc.synirc.net

2018 Aero Kits are here to stay

The Road to Indy
IndyCar features the Road to Indy ladder system, which provides a defined path for up-and-coming open-wheel racers to reach the top. Several IndyCar teams run teams in the lower series as well. Many of these series race on the same weekend as IndyCar as support races.

- IndyCar Minor Leagues, many of the current IndyCar drivers are Indy Lights graduates. Current Indy Lights Champion Pato O'Ward was awarded a 3 race scholarship in IndyCar this season, including the Indy 500. O'Ward and championship runner-up Colton Herta are driving for the new Steinbrenner-Harding Racing team. Now in its 5th season, the Dallara IL-15 Chassis has received rave reviews and should better prepare drivers for the big leagues.

- Former Pro Mazda rebranded this year. Last year saw the first year of the new PM-18 chassis which is seeing a resurgence of the middle tier of the ladder.

- Bottom rung of the ladder, usually first step after pro-karting. The Italian company Tattus was selected to build the new chassis for USF2000 to debut this season.

USAC Silver Crown / Midgets - While not officially part of the Road to Indy Ladder, many current and former open wheel drivers got their start in sprint cars. One even got to kill someone on-track during a sprint race, cool huh?

The All American Soap Box Derby - They're open-wheel and have an IndyCar sticker, they count.

News and Blogs
All IndyCar "blogs" are terrible. Also fans on Twitter (except for most goons)
My website isn't that terrible, but thanks to Bentai I do have Timing & Scoring
https://www.realopenwheel.com/
http://www.indystar.com/irl

Twitter
Just follow these lists
Feel free to follow me too.

IndyCar on TV

Booth: Leigh Diffey, Townsend Bell, and Paul Tracy
Pits: Rotating bullpen of Jon Beekhuis, Kevin Lee, Robin Miller, Dillon Welch, Kelli Stavast, Marty Snider

All races are on either NBCSN or NBC broadcast. Diffey calls all the races with Paul Tracy and Townsend Bell unless there's an IMSA conflict for T Bell.

For money (full price is $55/year) you can pay for the NBC Sports Gold INDYCAR Pass. You get live streaming of all practice sessions and qualifying with no commercials. Races are on-demand only.

Road To Indy Viewing Options
INDYCAR International Broadcasters for 2019

Territories, Channel(s) - Check local listings for channel information:
  • Africa - Sub Saharan (French language), Canal+
  • Africa - South Africa/Sub Saharan (English language), SuperSport
  • Asia - Brunei, Cambodia, East Timor, Hong Kong, Guam, Indonesia, Laos, Macau, Malaysia, Micronesia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, North Korea, Thailand, Vietnam and Mainland China (English language), Fox Sports/Star Sports
  • Australia, Fox Sports (one-hour version)
  • Austria, DAZN
  • Brazil, Bandeirantes/Band Sports/DAZN
  • Canada, Sportsnet World and SN NOW+
  • Denmark, Viasat
  • Finland, Viasat
  • France, Canal+
  • Germany, DAZN
  • Ireland, Sky Sports F1
  • Italy, DAZN
  • Japan, Gaora
  • Japan, NHK (Indianapolis 500 only)
  • Myanmar, Canal+
  • Netherlands, Ziggo
  • New Zealand, Sky Sport
  • Norway, Viasat
  • Portugal, Sport TV
  • Russia, Match TV/TV4 (one-hour version)
  • Russia, Viasat Sport East
  • Spain, Movistar
  • Sweden, Viasat/TV3, TV10 (one-hour version)
  • Switzerland, DAZN (German language)/Canal+ (French language)
  • United Kingdom, Sky Sports F1
  • Vietnam, VSTV
  • Worldwide, Mobil 1: The Grid (featured in the weekly motorsports program)

IndyCar on Radio

The Indianapolis Motor Speedway Radio Network is the radio home for IndyCar races throughout the season. Mark Jaynes is lead announcer. Races can also be heard on Sirius Channel 212 or XM 209.

Previous Threads
IndyCar 2018: Get well soon, Wickens
IndyCar 2017: A bunch of different names
IndyCar 2016: A Series as Recognizable as its Champion
IndyCar 2015: It's in Jeopardy!
Indycar 2014: Formula Juan
Indiecar Series 2013: You Probably Haven't Heard of It
IndyCar Series 2012: NASCAR Refugees Welcome!
Indycar Series 2011: Dan Wheldon Appreciation Station
Izod Indycar Series 2010: Sato what happened? Sato!? SATOOOOOOOOO!
Indycar [2009] Month of May and Indy 500: Paul Tracy Revenge Edition
Indy Car 2008: Can hell freeze over twice?
Hell frozen over: Champ Car/IRL Unification [2007/8]
Indy Racing League [2007]: Yes it still exists!
Champ Car 2006 Season Thread
2005 Champ Car Season Thread

2019 Toxx

OhsH posted:

:toxx: ban my account if ferruci doesnt top 10 in the standings.

Thread Rules
Bringing back the F1chat rule. We get it, IndyCar is an inferior form of open-wheel compared to F1 and you'd love to tell us about it, but feel free to do that in the Worst Thread. Meanwhile, we'll enjoy some actual competition and close racing over here.

:fyadride: Laguna Seca, CotA, Steinbrenner money
:rip: Bryan Clauson, Justin Wilson, Phoenix, Sonoma

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Aug 19, 2019

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 1, 2019

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So the old Ganassi team from CART exist or what the gently caress if yes i will root for them. If not who is the Scuderia Ferrari (the best team) on this league so i can cheer for them. Please answer.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Yes Ganassi are still around. However Penske are the best.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Penske still is Haas-Penske with the marlboro sponsorship or not

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Penske dropped the Marlboro sponsorship wholly. It's not the wink wink nudge nudge of Ferrari.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

good title

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Hyped about the new season.
Also: hyped that there are now two races in March. That stupid early St. Pete race and then nothing til April schedule of the past couple years was completely incongruous.
Less hyped that there's now a 4 week gap between Long Beach and the Indy road course.
Similarly less hyped that there's 3 weeks between Portland and Laguna Seca. I'm super excited they'll be racing there again but that seems like such a momentum killer at the end of the season.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

quote:

This has always been a bit of a hodgepodge, as NBC has too few people in too many places. Diffey is excellent and calls the majority of races except those which clash with F1 telecasts, for which he's also responsible, at which point Till or Varsha pinch hit.

NBC hasnt done F1 since 2017

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

KingShibby posted:

The Indianapolis Motor Speedway Radio Network is the radio home for IndyCar races throughout the season. Paul Page is lead announcer. Races can also be heard on Sirius Channel 212 or XM 209.

It's Mark Jaynes now. Paul retired a couple years ago.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

RIP Phoenix. Unlike your stands, you filled up that 4 week gap nicely.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bentai posted:

RIP Phoenix. Unlike your stands, you filled up that 4 week gap nicely.

:drat: but true.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
So hype for the 2019 season. I bet O'Ward is gonna be a beast, McLaren is dipping it's toes in at Indy, Dixon's defending the title, Rossi is coming off of a very strong season, Pagenaud needs a good result this year, Bourdais gonna be pulling off some more incredible moves... So much going on.

Does anybody have any info on the NBC Sports Gold Indycar Pass? Still just listed as "coming soon" on their site, but I'd be interested to know how their service works and how much it costs.

I went to four Indycar races last year, thinking about stepping up those numbers incrementally this and next season. I have already convinced the girlfriend that it would be great to break the end of winter with a trip down to Florida for the St. Petersburg race, but that's likely to be a next year kind of thing. I already do the Indycar Grand Prix, Indy 500, Mid-Ohio, and Gateway. CotA, Detroit, Road America, and Portland are possible, though.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

bennyfactor posted:

It's Mark Jaynes now. Paul retired a couple years ago.

Fixed, thanks

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Reynold posted:

Does anybody have any info on the NBC Sports Gold Indycar Pass? Still just listed as "coming soon" on their site, but I'd be interested to know how their service works and how much it costs.

Not a whole lot of info unfortunately. Marshall Pruett had Jay Frye on the podcast and they did touch on it a little. A viewer mentioned that the current Gold pass doesn't actually have live races, so its not a replacement for people who don't have cable but still want to pay for Indycar. Frye said that he understood the problem, and that they are working on something they think will fill that gap for fans (i'm paraphrasing cause I don't think they do transcripts)

https://racer.com/2018/12/24/the-week-in-indycar-dec-24-with-series-president-jay-frye/

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

OhsH posted:

Anyone else want in on some :toxx: action?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

OhsH posted:

lol

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1082302282321018881

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dear NTT,

Please use some of the money you receive from pensioners around Japan to have landline and fax service towards sponsoring speedy race cars. And also help bring a race back to Japan.

Your faithful customer,
harperdc

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The schedule needs more ovals. Street and road courses are the same thing. :argh:

KingShibby posted:

Fixed, thanks

That was old info from a few years ago that I compiled. It's probably more like:

NBC:
Booth- Leigh Diffey, Paul Tracy, Townsend Bell
Pits- Jon Beekhuis, Kevin Lee, Robin Miller, Marty Snider/Katie Hargitt

...now. Admittedly, I don't remember who did what. Diffey is doing both IMSA and IndyCar, though, so there might still be other PBP voices if there are any conflicts.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

harperdc posted:

Dear NTT,

Please use some of the money you receive from pensioners around Japan to have landline and fax service towards sponsoring speedy race cars. And also help bring a race back to Japan.

Your faithful customer,
harperdc

Oh yeah huh, this is a thing that would happen if a Japanese company looking for B2B networking became the title sponsor of a domestic-but-international-if-the-check-clears racing series.

Motegi road course? Surely not. Where might Indycar race in Japan these days?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Motegi road course is the best bet since Honda owns it and also the less likely but way better Suzuka.

Sugo is an awesome track and Autopolis is p fun, although the latter in particular is in the middle of nowhere.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Motegi road course is the best bet since Honda owns it and also the less likely but way better Suzuka.

Oooof, I thought you said "way better than Suzuka" and almost typed a very angry reply.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I don't hate the Motegi road course like others do, but it's in no way better than Suzuka

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Driving it in Gran Turismo, it's just the most painfully boring track to drive. I'd be happy for a race in Japan, but I'd be disappointed in Motegi. Beggars can't be choosers.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If NTT has megabux, can they fix the Motegi oval?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
What about the Motegi oval?

EDIT: ...ah, that's why.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I mean, it would be the best solution to "Japanese title sponsor" and "not enough ovals". Motegi road course sucks, Motegi oval is good, but the loving earthquake broke it. I don't think there's even any series other than Indycar that even would use it if it was fixed.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Race at Okayama would be great.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Word is we're getting another racing 30 for 30 and, this time, it's about a female racecar driver.

Surprisingly, it's not her, but somebody else who might actually be interesting:

quote:

But during the College Football Playoff National Championship on Monday night, ESPN teased several new installments in the series. Some of the featured athletes include Michael Vick, Lance Armstrong, Dennis Rodman, Florence Griffith Joyner, Janet Guthrie, and the Chuck Liddell-Tito Ortiz rivalry.

https://awfulannouncing.com/espn/espn-teases-new-30-for-30-films-on-lance-armstrong-dennis-rodman-michael-vick-among-others.html

e- Posted here because I actually associate her more with the Indy 500 than NASCAR.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 8, 2019

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Bring IndyCar back to New Hampshire, and let them run the oval with the road course extension :getin:

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Wirth1000 posted:

Okayama sucks balls.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Wirth1000 posted:

I now have an urge to try the DW12 at Tsukuba in iRacing.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Seems like a title sponsor reveal is imminent.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the new indy sponsor is...kimoa

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Race in Japan: Don’t think Suzuka is in play thanks to F1, but COTA has changed that a bit. Motegi is also owned by Honda so that’s the natural fit, and yes the oval was damaged in 2011 and to my knowledge hadn’t been repaired. But it’s not like it fell down, they still use it as a car park for big events at Motegi.

Okayama is an okay choice but hosts WTCC as far as international series go, Sugo is I think owned by Yamaha, Fuji Speedway of course by Toyota, and Autopolis is up in the jungle of Kyushu.

Tl;dr if a race returns I’d put the odds-on favorite at Motegi road course, followed a way back by Suzuka and a repaired Motegi oval. But that situation would require a few pieces falling into play, including the schedule.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I'd hope Liberty would play nicer than Bernie if Suzuka has any chance, but if not, let's make Tokyo R246 happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Do the Miami Grand Prix' s dumb layout except over Tokyo bay