Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is the "Fresh Start"....
This poll is closed.
Truly something new and exciting! 6 6.90%
Nothing has changed. At all! 47 54.02%
It was actually better when Baron Corbin was "in charge" 11 12.64%
Look I'm just happy that the McMahons are FINALLY running things again. 23 26.44%
Total: 87 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Bryan calling the fans fat and impotent was extremely good, he is the highlight every week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Incessant Excess posted:

Bryan calling the fans fat and impotent was extremely good, he is the highlight every week.

https://twitter.com/M0k0jin/status/1082964138542985216

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

quote:

Lars Sullivan was originally slated to work a dark match at Monday’s Raw and was replaced by EC3, who defeated Curt Hawkins on the show. Then, Sullivan was scheduled for a dark match at Tuesday’s SmackDown taping and didn’t wrestle the match on that show either. We cannot confirm what the reason was, but Mike Johnson of PWinsider.com did report that Sullivan was backstage in Orlando on Monday during the day.

https://www.postwrestling.com/2019/01/09/pollocks-news-update-fallout-from-the-all-elite-wrestling-rally/

Too busy backstage talking to Triple H about their favourite White Power bands?

Or they just want to keep Lars special.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Vince: Book the white supremacist!
Hulk Hogan's phone rings

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sorry to be random but I'm still trying to catch up on years of back PPVs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I16MXR5UgpA]

I think I first heard about Zack Ryder from Death of WCW where Alvarez mentions in a Lesson Not Learned footnote how the WWE told their superstars nobody would hand them anything and they had to make their own spots. So Ryder did with his YouTube channel. And then got nothing for all his effort and popularity.

More recentlyI happened upon a random clip of Meltzer and Alvarez reviewing WM 32 and they mentioned this win and how they predicted he'd immediately lose the title. And according to comment section for this video, they were right. The next day even.

But still, a WrestleMania moment is surely worth it. Stuff like this is why I always come back to wrestling.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
if you haven't finished watching wm32 just stop now. its 7 hours of poo poo outside of the IC title match which was either the preshow or the first match

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1083113133999239168

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I mean this in all sincerity. When Nigel was the Champion of ROH he was legitimately the best wrestler on the loving planet.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Sorry to be random but I'm still trying to catch up on years of back PPVs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I16MXR5UgpA]

I think I first heard about Zack Ryder from Death of WCW where Alvarez mentions in a Lesson Not Learned footnote how the WWE told their superstars nobody would hand them anything and they had to make their own spots. So Ryder did with his YouTube channel. And then got nothing for all his effort and popularity.

More recentlyI happened upon a random clip of Meltzer and Alvarez reviewing WM 32 and they mentioned this win and how they predicted he'd immediately lose the title. And according to comment section for this video, they were right. The next day even.

But still, a WrestleMania moment is surely worth it. Stuff like this is why I always come back to wrestling.

They literally held special seminars where they instructed talent to do exactly what Zack Ryder did and the response was basically “lol yea but we didn’t mean YOU”

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
It's their own fault that these drat millennials won't grasp that brass ring. The brass ring that we keep locked away in a vault and only show to a select few late-Gen-Xers.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

if you haven't finished watching wm32 just stop now. its 7 hours of poo poo outside of the IC title match which was either the preshow or the first match

Yeah that's what the review basically said. But they said WM31 was a lot better and I was like "but isn't WM 31 the one where they finally had Sting in the WWE but they had him lose to Triple H like it was no big deal? Where they had Bray Wyatt lose to Undertaker when he was the one who needed that win over Taker more than anybody else?"

But yeah, I'm still watching WM32. I am on the Ambrose/Lesnar match which I figured might be okay.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

NikkolasKing posted:

But yeah, I'm still watching WM32. I am on the Ambrose/Lesnar match which I figured might be okay.

oh you unlucky bastard

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I mean this in all sincerity. When Nigel was the Champion of ROH he was legitimately the best wrestler on the loving planet.

Even in his brief TNA run he was one of the most noticeably entertaining figures on the screen, even if he didn't get a lot of time to showcase it in-ring

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubw5N8iVDHI

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

look you've got a 30 minute taker/shane match in 20 loving 16 coming up. for the love of god man stop

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

look you've got a 30 minute taker/shane match in 20 loving 16 coming up. for the love of god man stop

Okay I probably would have skipped that anyway. But what about the women's match? I figured it be good.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I'm kinda eerily curious as to his reactions to Corbin winning a battle royal, Dwayne winning a match in 6 seconds so his movie production team doesn't get mad at the company because he might get hurt, and a 27 minute HHH/Reigns main event that was openly getting boos throughout, including during the entrance part when fans in attendance (just like in the GDT) finally discovered to their horror that oh poo poo yeah this was the main event

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

NikkolasKing posted:

Okay I probably would have skipped that anyway. But what about the women's match? I figured it be good.

it was. it was the second best match after the ladder match, and that's mostly because ric flair was really gross in his involvement iirc. I may be thinking of one of Charlotte's other defenses though. Match was good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Some very late Smackdown results added to the OP.

tl;dr - Rey/Ali vs Joe/Almas was really good, the main event was good, the ending of the show was good and Daniel Bryan ranting at fat, impotent fans and AJ Styles was great.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

NikkolasKing posted:

lmao

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Some very late Smackdown results added to the OP.

tl;dr - Rey/Ali vs Joe/Almas was really good, the main event was good, the ending of the show was good and Daniel Bryan ranting at fat, impotent fans and AJ Styles was great.

I was a little/lot drunk for Rey/Ali vs Joe/Almas but it was the first time in ??? that a match on WWE TV had me yelling

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Ryder got over in the era where Vince blew a gasket anytime someone got over without his blessing, and so over at his peak he was derailing shows and at one point fans were chanting "WE WANT RYDER" while The Rock was in the ring. They tried to bury his momentum and it worked, they put him in a really stupid storyline where his kayfabe girlfriend Eve was going behind his back with John Cena and at the end, Kane pushed him off the stage in a neckbrace and a wheelchair and people stopped caring.

They also tried it with CM Punk, Becky, and Daniel Bryan but those three got over it and just kept going until the WWE were kinda forced to put them over.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Never forget that the lesson they took from Daniel Bryan getting over in spite all of their efforts to derail or shift his pops over to other people, was that fans like underdogs and therefore babyfaces should constantly lose all the time and get stymied constantly. Then when the fans stop taking them seriously as main eventers, WWE says,"Oh I guess they weren't really over, lucky we didn't push them after all!"

The Bryan & Vinny retro shows on the Wrestling Observer are really interesting for how they look at Triple H's move into a main eventer, and how extremely careful he was to almost always either go over or to completely negate any losses/setbacks he might suffer.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

RealFoxy posted:

They also tried it with CM Punk, Becky, and Daniel Bryan but those three got over it and just kept going until the WWE were kinda forced to put them over.

I love when this happens and WWE turns their actual lovely actions into a storyline, like Triple H the character saying things to Bryan that he absolutely said irl

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

Look, I'm not going to kinkshame you for being into masochism, but there's no reason for you to publicly let us all know

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Jerusalem posted:

Never forget that the lesson they took from Daniel Bryan getting over in spite all of their efforts to derail or shift his pops over to other people, was that fans like underdogs and therefore babyfaces should constantly lose all the time and get stymied constantly. Then when the fans stop taking them seriously as main eventers, WWE says,"Oh I guess they weren't really over, lucky we didn't push them after all!"

The Bryan & Vinny retro shows on the Wrestling Observer are really interesting for how they look at Triple H's move into a main eventer, and how extremely careful he was to almost always either go over or to completely negate any losses/setbacks he might suffer.
I remember the line being "Daniel Bryan isn't over, the YES! chants are over" and Vince trying to prove it by having Big Show and Stephanie steal them while he was away and no idea that fans were just chanting it because it was because they just actually liked Daniel Bryan.

I heard a funny line on a podcast the other day how Vince probably thinks that Becky isn't over, "Cheering for Becky" is over.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

i remember not liking the women's match because ric got involved in the finish but that was because the previous 4-5 months was nothing but ric interfering for charlotte in matches

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

RealFoxy posted:

Ryder got over in the era where Vince blew a gasket anytime someone got over without his blessing, and so over at his peak he was derailing shows and at one point fans were chanting "WE WANT RYDER" while The Rock was in the ring. They tried to bury his momentum and it worked, they put him in a really stupid storyline where his kayfabe girlfriend Eve was going behind his back with John Cena and at the end, Kane pushed him off the stage in a neckbrace and a wheelchair and people stopped caring.

I know about Punk and Bryan. First more modern PPV I watched was WM30 and it was so awesome seeing the crowd just going crazy for Bryan. Then I think I went back and watched that year's Royal Rumble. I'd say poor Batista but judging by teh Evolution reunion all is forgiven and people understand it wasn't his fault.

The interviews and stuff I've seen on YT are all pretty adamant that WWE had no plan for Bryan winning anything at WM30 and that was all a last minute scramble to prevent a fan revolt.

Poor Ryder, though. But wait. I've heard it lamented constantly that Cena never turned heel. (apart from when he was a heel way back when he was just a joke rival to Lesnar. That was about the time I stopped following wrestling all that closely) How does he cheat with some guy's girlfriend and stay a face?

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

RealFoxy posted:

I remember the line being "Daniel Bryan isn't over, the YES! chants are over" and Vince trying to prove it by having Big Show and Stephanie steal them while he was away and no idea that fans were just chanting it because it was because they just actually liked Daniel Bryan.

I heard a funny line on a podcast the other day how Vince probably thinks that Becky isn't over, "Cheering for Becky" is over.

the chants for becky lynch during the ronda/charlotte WM match are gonna be pretty funny

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah Batista got brought in as a face which made sense, except it was absolutely the wrong time and he was best suited at the time in a heel role. When he took part in the Evolution Reunion and was just a huge primadonna jerk he was incredible, and the matches against The Shield were superb.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

How does he cheat with some guy's girlfriend and stay a face?

They turned her heel by having Cena come out the next week and say "nah she was totally pushing herself on me and never actually liked you." I believe Cena also called her a hoe.

For a few years John Cena felt like that kid from Twilight Zone who made the world change to his whim by just thinking it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

They turned her heel by having Cena come out the next week and say "nah she was totally pushing herself on me and never actually liked you." I believe Cena also called her a hoe.

For a few years John Cena felt like that kid from Twilight Zone who made the world change to his whim by just thinking it.

Yeah, that was deep into the time where Cena was basically Hulk Hogan constantly doing more heelish and heelish poo poo and somehow always remaining the super face with all the other faces patting him on the back.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

That segment was awful, Eve was randomly retconned into a manipulative heel and then Cena slut-shamed her for 15 minutes.

At some point in here Ryder tried to fight Cena while wearing a neckbrace, slapping him. Cena responded by shoving the disabled Ryder down and taking his shirt off.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
has anyone become a wwe cop faster than Ricochet? it seemed like record speed

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I guess technically Gabe Sapolski doesn't work for WWE....?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I guess technically Gabe Sapolski doesn't work for WWE....?
Ah yes, the man that blocked everyone following a parody account 8 years ago.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

The Kimoa Kid posted:

I love when this happens and WWE turns their actual lovely actions into a storyline, like Triple H the character saying things to Bryan that he absolutely said irl

I know I talk about my favorite things about wwe a lot but this crazy rear end carny aspect of the business is also a major reason I love it.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
gabe is simultaneously a cop and a cop caller

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Low Desert Punk posted:

has anyone become a wwe cop faster than Ricochet? it seemed like record speed

Honestly don’t think it’ll ever be topped. He deleted a lot of his tweets in general (including of that time period) but within the week he was confirmed signed, he was already repeatedly tweeting about how cool the big dog Roman reigns was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/StephMcMahon/status/1083099757411733505