Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

physeter posted:

I've been happy with every DLC so far, but Agriculture seems like it will be a total miss. I guess it's nice that corn will have more than one use, and I hope the silos and tractors at least look cool, but otherwise who fuckin cares? My grain farms employee 20 farmers, dropping it to even 1 farmer in exchange for consuming something precious and finite like oil would not be a good trade. The Old World doesn't grow any crop that would justify the cost and annoyance of importing oil to boost it. In the New World I might feel differently since lots of oil is right there, and rubber/sugar/coffee can act as hard caps on Old World population, but still. Hope I'm wrong and this isn't just a bullshit filler DLC.

Not everyone plays at the same level so it may be a godsend for the beginning player. we'll have to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

It moves us one step close to the ultimate fusion of tropico and anno. Cant wait to be able to add skylights to my cigar factories and freeze dryers to the coffee roasters.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Personally this is the DLC I was looking forward to. The upgrades for the farms seem simple but at the same time will have some interesting balancing effects I'm sure. I wonder what the ratios to oil wellheads to fuel station and fuel station to running factories is.

Also glad they worked in more uses for the trains at last. I imagine my New World plantations will soon become gently caress HUGE since the oil is right there.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I'm also excited for the listed new ornaments. :v:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

I'm also excited for the listed new ornaments. :v:

Also this. So loving glad 1800 is Ornament Central after 2205's pathetic showing.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Alkydere posted:

Also glad they worked in more uses for the trains at last. I imagine my New World plantations will soon become gently caress HUGE since the oil is right there.

Yeah I am not using any oil at all from the New World, and that’s probably where I would drop Tractors. With their Steam Engines cost they’re not going to be the thing that you slap down everywhere immediately.

Train logic is for sure going to be a factor in all this; setting up trade union and tractor boosted farm clusters on a dedicated turbofarm island, possibly making use of fertility items, sounds like it will be my initial approach. So a lot more like exploiting a lot more on-site oil and shifting around agricultural production with more trade routes.

As for the cost of burning oil to save farmer jobs, I respond that the smell in the air is Progress!

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
The big thing with the tractors is you can get to 300%+ productivity with them for farms, which means you'll be able to combo with some other features to massively reduce land usage. This isn't a problem in the old world but until they make some better islands available for the new world that is pretty loving handy.

I also think it will let you do things like have a farm island with no population that you can crank up to slave-labor production (no population, no happiness malus, just riots) and commuter dock in the workers, to the point you can basically eliminate farmer tier housing from your population completely; simply utilizing the expansion buffs population to support them.

I was already utilizing this idea to an extent in my last real game:

And this lets you turn that poo poo up to 11 with a few extra stops on the oil convoys.

Basically, what electricity does for industry, this is doing for farms, which when combo'd with houseless hellscapes like this:

Can really alter the way you approach all production chains. It's not really some QoL thing as it is a different approach to how you produce goods, so I think there will be a lot of mixed feelings on it depending on how you play the game.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 21, 2020

Khorne
May 1, 2002

physeter posted:

I've been happy with every DLC so far, but Agriculture seems like it will be a total miss. I guess it's nice that corn will have more than one use, and I hope the silos and tractors at least look cool, but otherwise who fuckin cares? My grain farms employee 20 farmers, dropping it to even 1 farmer in exchange for consuming something precious and finite like oil would not be a good trade. The Old World doesn't grow any crop that would justify the cost and annoyance of importing oil to boost it. In the New World I might feel differently since lots of oil is right there, and rubber/sugar/coffee can act as hard caps on Old World population, but still. Hope I'm wrong and this isn't just a bullshit filler DLC.
The big miss for me is that they didn't take the chance to integrate arctic goods or didn't go for something more practical like coal. Training oil into a farm sounds real awkward in old world. I really dislike how isolated the arctic is in terms of benefit for the old world/new world, and I genuinely hope land of lions integrates better with the other regions.

It should be worth doing tractors in the new world for sure, and it sounds like you could do it for livestock in any world.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 21, 2020

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Steam-era tech where you increase the # of fields..? Ehhh.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

The big question is whether the Fuel building is going to consume Oil and produce Fuel which goes into the island stores like other goods, or if it's going to provide a service radius where the farms serviced get Tractors, like a power plant.

If it's going to be the latter, huge loving missed opportunity to call it a Supply Boiler and have it put up reskinned versions of electric poles that support steam tubes, or for it to be a Vehicle Depot which costs Steam Engines in addition to other materials to build, and also consumes them slowly (as well as maybe intermediates like Steel and/or Brass at faster rates).

e: ^^^ you're already looking at a rebuild, or at least a reworking, of residential areas once you roll a little ways into Engineers. At the cost of player attention for working out how to stack farms up into Tractor and Trade Union range at the same time, we should be able to produce substantially more agricultural raw materials in the same large amounts of space which we already have to dedicate to them, easing both space pressure and trade loading/unloading requirements on city islands, and eliminating some amount of need for Farmers as a little bonus.

For sure it's not the thing you should probably sink your initial Steam Engine surplus into.

e2: today I learned that shift-clicking upgrade on warehouses does indeed upgrade all warehouses.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 21, 2020

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Whenever I see pics of other people's well organized maximized islands I feel deep shame.

I always have such a great plan in my head when I start building or re-building an island and I always end up jamming things in.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Mazz posted:

The big thing with the tractors is you can get to 300%+ productivity with them for farms, which means you'll be able to combo with some other features to massively reduce land usage. This isn't a problem in the old world but until they make some better islands available for the new world that is pretty loving handy.

I also think it will let you do things like have a farm island with no population that you can crank up to slave-labor production (no population, no happiness malus, just riots) and commuter dock in the workers, to the point you can basically eliminate farmer tier housing from your population completely; simply utilizing the expansion buffs population to support them.

I was already utilizing this idea to an extent in my last real game:

And this lets you turn that poo poo up to 11 with a few extra stops on the oil convoys.

Basically, what electricity does for industry, this is doing for farms, which when combo'd with houseless hellscapes like this:

Can really alter the way you approach all production chains. It's not really some QoL thing as it is a different approach to how you produce goods, so I think there will be a lot of mixed feelings on it depending on how you play the game.

And with the animal farms you technically don't even need the steam engines/oil, you just need more feedcrop so you can get that madness started ASAP and then use your steam engines/oil to feed them.

I look forward to my potato farms exploding from overproductivity much like my schnapps stills.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Steam-era tech where you increase the # of fields..? Ehhh.

I think it sounds great, you'll be getting 300% production off of 150% of the space. That way you can more easily cram all your farms into a trade union radius and stack more buffs. This is way more of an improvement than just doubling production straight up. The only thing I wonder is if farms will still use unpowered carts because that could be kind of a bottleneck given how long they take to load and unload.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Bit the bullet and bought the base-game and both season passes. I'm glad I did, cause I love the atmosphere of the game. I started a new sandbox save and I just couldn't stay afloat financially, I was hemorrhaging money right from the start and couldn't recover. -200 credits got me bankrupt at 600 farmers / 1000 workers. Any advice on how I actually turn a profit, or was I being way too frugal with placing housing down?

I was constantly riding the line in terms of excess workers, cause for some reason I assumed having 300+ unemployed farmers is not a good thing. But now I'm thinking that might be how I actually make money. Higher pop > more tax income > more necessities bought > factories turn a profit, right?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Qubee posted:

Bit the bullet and bought the base-game and both season passes. I'm glad I did, cause I love the atmosphere of the game. I started a new sandbox save and I just couldn't stay afloat financially, I was hemorrhaging money right from the start and couldn't recover. -200 credits got me bankrupt at 600 farmers / 1000 workers. Any advice on how I actually turn a profit, or was I being way too frugal with placing housing down?

I was constantly riding the line in terms of excess workers, cause for some reason I assumed having 300+ unemployed farmers is not a good thing. But now I'm thinking that might be how I actually make money. Higher pop > more tax income > more necessities bought > factories turn a profit, right?

Press Ctrl Q and find out where your supply is not meeting your demand. Fix that and you'll be golden :) Don't over build as those factories that are cranking out unused goods cost you money.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Mayveena posted:

Press Ctrl Q and find out where your supply is not meeting your demand. Fix that and you'll be golden :) Don't over build as those factories that are cranking out unused goods cost you money.

So factories churn a profit even if the end-goal item isn't consumed by people? Stuff like sailcloth makers, steel bar factories etc?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Qubee posted:

So factories churn a profit even if the end-goal item isn't consumed by people? Stuff like sailcloth makers, steel bar factories etc?

They continue making items until your island storage is full. There isn’t a happiness or tax income difference between having a consumer good need fully fulfilled and having .5 tons/min excess, or fully fulfilled and 50 tons/min excess, but there is a labor and upkeep cost overhead for all running production.

Profit margins from Farmer and Worker taxes are pretty slim, so it’s best to skate close to underproduction, upgrade your first several Worker dwellings to Artisans and work up bare minimum production for their construction materials and basic goods, then start upgrading as rapidly as you can afford to get some breathing room with the Artisan taxes.

Engineers have a similar and much sharper income spike and once you’re used to it Artisans seem like less of a bump, but they are a big milestone and revenue bump for the beginning of a new game.

e: Potatoes and Soap can both be sold from Old World islands to the prison NPC via automatic trade route for a profit, after upkeep on the farms and a schooner. There are a few other goods which session-specific single-harbor NPCs will similarly pay profitable rates for which I don’t have memorized. You can sell ships at the Not-British ambassador’s place and the exotic goods lady, which isn’t a bad move if your shipyard is idle anyway and you’re close to cap on lumber and sails, before you get serious numbers of Artisans and reliable Beer deliveries.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 21, 2020

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I was like halfway through the campaign but got embroiled in a war with one of the AI who basically colonised half the Old and New World and disrupted a bunch of my key supply chains so I'm not easily able to get the requisite upgrade materials from the Old to New World. So I ended up having to grind them off their islands by beseiging them so my convoys don't get eaten by their superior epoch ships and whatnot.

That was/is kinda irritating, but then after taking over a bunch of islands, I find it crazy overwhelming to manage like 8 different islands. I mean obviously, the AI can do everything in parallel, but is it like...not a good idea to have so many islands? Or just take them over and leave them empty? I just kinda got exhausted trying to micromanage everywhere without a pause and have left the game alone for a while. I'm new to any Anno game, so I don't really know the basic strategy.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Jeza posted:

I was like halfway through the campaign but got embroiled in a war with one of the AI who basically colonised half the Old and New World and disrupted a bunch of my key supply chains so I'm not easily able to get the requisite upgrade materials from the Old to New World. So I ended up having to grind them off their islands by beseiging them so my convoys don't get eaten by their superior epoch ships and whatnot.

That was/is kinda irritating, but then after taking over a bunch of islands, I find it crazy overwhelming to manage like 8 different islands. I mean obviously, the AI can do everything in parallel, but is it like...not a good idea to have so many islands? Or just take them over and leave them empty? I just kinda got exhausted trying to micromanage everywhere without a pause and have left the game alone for a while. I'm new to any Anno game, so I don't really know the basic strategy.

Try to keep your large populations on 1-2 islands in the Old World and Cape, yeah, and use Commuter Piers where needed to staff remote Engineer and Artisan factories. If you need a few hundred Farmers on a non-city island early game, set them up with basic goods to make your numbers and then forget about them once the farms are working and trade routes are running.

Basically build nothing that you can’t immediately drop out of detailed recall as soon as you’re done with it, and consider no build finished that you can’t leave for an hour of game time with an expectation of no problems.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I was looking at commuter piers but they have like an upkeep of a 1000$ unless I looked at it wrong. I guess it will be less of a problem when I'm getting up there in Artisan/Engineer numbers but right now I'm floating around 4k profit, which is usually at risk if I have a bad newspaper / don't use propaganda.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I decided this game I would use the production and city templates of the Anno wiki to be efficient and wow it's really helped. I haven't been in the negative at all the whole game and had over 10K coming in before I even got to Engineers. Also, I had no idea that the Copy Picker let you drag to select multiple things, complete game-changer.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Thom12255 posted:

I decided this game I would use the production and city templates of the Anno wiki to be efficient and wow it's really helped. I haven't been in the negative at all the whole game and had over 10K coming in before I even got to Engineers. Also, I had no idea that the Copy Picker let you drag to select multiple things, complete game-changer.
That's a newish feature. It was added this year or near the end of last year.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Oxyclean posted:

I was looking at commuter piers but they have like an upkeep of a 1000$ unless I looked at it wrong. I guess it will be less of a problem when I'm getting up there in Artisan/Engineer numbers but right now I'm floating around 4k profit, which is usually at risk if I have a bad newspaper / don't use propaganda.

Yes, in addition to the upkeep commuter piers have an influence cost so you want to save them for a few key islands where you can offload significant amounts of dirty industry or where you need artisan/engineer workforce. At least until you hit investors and start drowning in cash.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

By the time you're really into Engineer and later Investor tiers you're just vomiting money to the point it loses meaning. Also if you have any rather nice and appealing islands the tourist docks quickly become a solid source of even more money. Money and specialists which can let you save more money from making stuff efficient.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm trying to get my main island to a point where it's majority workers, but the absolute jugglefest I keep needing to do to ensure my agricultural goods are arriving is wearing me down. My two worker islands also have the added irritation of not having potato fertility, so I have to send potatoes over and even though I'm breaking even with supply/demand, the worker islands still aren't getting enough potatoes to keep their schnapps topped up. Any advice? I've set the trade routes to only take 20 potatoes at a time so they aren't throttling each other.

Compounding this problem is whenever I upgrade a bunch of farmers to workers, my population spikes and then I need to add more potatoes and schnapp facilities. Argh! At least I'm no longer broke, I'm steadily in the +1000 credits range.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

My strategy has been to set up some farmer focused islands. One is pretty much entirely potatoes+schnapps, so I'm leaning towards overproducing and then I just ship it around to other islands.

I would guess that even though you have enough potatoes for your distilleries, the shipping & crafting time is creating gaps?

Trying to ramp beer production has been giving me headaches though. The ratio is a little weird and grain fields take up a ton of space. I'm also trying to do bread on that island and rapidly running out of space.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Qubee posted:

I'm trying to get my main island to a point where it's majority workers, but the absolute jugglefest I keep needing to do to ensure my agricultural goods are arriving is wearing me down. My two worker islands also have the added irritation of not having potato fertility, so I have to send potatoes over and even though I'm breaking even with supply/demand, the worker islands still aren't getting enough potatoes to keep their schnapps topped up. Any advice? I've set the trade routes to only take 20 potatoes at a time so they aren't throttling each other.

That 20 potatoes per trip might not be enough if your population at the target island is large enough. There's another feature that might help you here, one that's been added since the game launched: The ability to keep a minimum amount of goods at a harbor reserved from being taken by trade routes. If you click the harbor of the island producing the potatoes, and select the potatoes, there's an option like "Keep minimum" or something (I forgot the exact wording). Your trade ships will never leave the island with less than the amount of potatoes you set with that, so you can have your ships take more per trip and they won't ever starve the island they're taking from.

If you're still expanding workers, you may also want to produce somewhat more than is demanded just in case, since the lag between building production and it getting to your worker island may also prevent your pops/factories from being able to top off.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
NM

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Also make sure to produce all applicable luxury goods, keeping all your workers in beer for examples will give a large income boost.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've managed to fix my issue, I overproduce by 2 and set up triangular trade routes, with minimum stock. I pick up two goods and unload two goods between all islands to balance them out evenly. When I click the marketplace, does a blue bar mean production isn't fully met, whilst a green bar means it's fully met and I've got excess?

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

Qubee posted:

I've managed to fix my issue, I overproduce by 2 and set up triangular trade routes, with minimum stock. I pick up two goods and unload two goods between all islands to balance them out evenly. When I click the marketplace, does a blue bar mean production isn't fully met, whilst a green bar means it's fully met and I've got excess?

Yeah

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

if you have trelawney you don't need feeder islands (well except the nearby one that almost assuredly gets bell peppers) there, advantages of a lot of space

but yeah for the starter city, if I am going to make a very serious effort opening, I go settle the two nearest islands with complementary fertilities for the needs and potatoes to offload basic production of farmer goods asap. It is rather affordable to get 4x schnapps/work clothes in each and ferry the additional supply to the main city, then get beer and sell soap to prison guy to build a financial buffer for artisan push

grain annoys me because I don't seem to get any decent trade union hall upgrades for it at the start and is pretty much one of the most effective to minmax since it requires so much space, but using one of the islands to export flour/grain (to be processed into malt for beer) helps a ton

edit:

Qubee posted:

I've managed to fix my issue, I overproduce by 2 and set up triangular trade routes, with minimum stock

jfc never thought of doing that lmao

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
Reminding folks that selling plantain chips to Isabel Sarmento is reliable easy income. All you need is bananas and jornaleros. I think a full stack nets like 5k.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

physeter posted:

Reminding folks that selling plantain chips to Isabel Sarmento is reliable easy income. All you need is bananas and jornaleros. I think a full stack nets like 5k.

Yup. Fried Plantains to Isabelle, Soap to Eli and Beer to Crazy Pirate Lady are your kings for trade. Get those up and don't really worry about cash for a while. Anything else comes either too early to really make money (I think technically Potatoes to Eli is profitable but you're selling them at $2/ton), too late to matter (your taxes are vomiting money) or too expensive to produce.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Qubee posted:

If you are anything like me, then you will restart once you get to engineers. I think my first 20 or more hours were getting up to artisans and the restarting. The game is iterative and you gain knowledge with each experiment. For me that knowledge was go to the anno wiki, roll the correct island seed and copy a layout from someone more obsessed than me. It worked out well and now I have an empire. I need to get back into anno.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

vandalism posted:

If you are anything like me, then you will restart once you get to engineers. I think my first 20 or more hours were getting up to artisans and the restarting. The game is iterative and you gain knowledge with each experiment. For me that knowledge was go to the anno wiki, roll the correct island seed and copy a layout from someone more obsessed than me. It worked out well and now I have an empire. I need to get back into anno.

Nah, the second I do this and just copy someone else's ideas and layouts, the game will lose my interest and I'll not enjoy the puzzle of it. I've looked at city layouts and all that for inspiration, but I've told myself I won't copy them. It just taught me that new cities always, and I mean always, get started out as blueprints first. It lets me jostle things around and get it all to fit neatly without committing to a dud layout.

Most I'll do is look up strategies if I'm genuinely stuck in figuring out how to make a specific mechanic work (I reckon that'll happen when I hit electricity / oil), but I won't look into it too much to the point where it wipes away any originality I would have had when it came to solving it myself.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I use city layouts on the dump/prod isles that I don't care about. These overworked 0 luxery poors can live in grid-city, just like the workers-houses in ye olde Victorian times.
Pretty stuff and creativity for the main city though.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

current save trip report:

got in a war against o'mara, things escalated for a bit, had a bunch of ship-of-the-lines just for that, conquered an island and destroyed it (ha) and kept running blockades

she somehow had a squadron roaming around in the new world that destroys my main island there, ok, I go there and raze hers

befriended pirate lady and with her as an ally I go and capture another island, somehow she gets a random squadron and sneaks by an auxiliary island that was supporting my main one in the old world and takes it, everyone is at war with each other and I am calling it on this one because I learned the important lesson of fortifying your stuff properly and having some redundancy with materials

(also wtf the ai doesn't cheat a little, it cheats way too much, without any traffic going on they still can support stuff that they should not)

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So I'm slowly transitioning my main island to workers / artisans with a skeletal farmer workforce. I'm starting to get a large backlog of ships at my docks. What can I do to speed this up? I can't place down a second loading dock so I'm at a loss. I haven't yet upgraded to artisan as I want to iron out all the kinks with just the two tiers of pop I currently have, adding a 3rd into the mix will just get messy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Qubee posted:

So I'm slowly transitioning my main island to workers / artisans with a skeletal farmer workforce. I'm starting to get a large backlog of ships at my docks. What can I do to speed this up? I can't place down a second loading dock so I'm at a loss. I haven't yet upgraded to artisan as I want to iron out all the kinks with just the two tiers of pop I currently have, adding a 3rd into the mix will just get messy.

Piers are the answer but you have to get to artisans to get them.