Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

From what I remember commuter piers have a pretty high maintenance cost, so you might want to save them for situations where you have islands you want to extract higher tier stuff from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
It makes the most sense to centralize your entire populations into main islands at farmers+workers and then artisan up and use commuter piers to distribute population from there. This also lets you designate an island with all of your industrial work, and since nobody lives there unhappiness only causes riots you can immediately suppress with high police coverage without actually incurring any happiness penalty.

This cuts way down on excess production/trade to satisfy individual island pops and lets you crank up production to 150% before electricity and trade union adds.

This is a very old screenshot now but I took a game to 25k investors with this idea not too long after 1800 came out. It’s even easier now that they buffed island beauty and influence gains.

But since commuter docks come at engineers you basically have to plan this distribution from the beginning of the game, so you’re better off just sticking with your current distribution and then using commuter docks to help level out production staff imbalances.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 4, 2020

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Any tips on life after commuter piers on Anno 1800? I feel like I should totally change my island layouts, but this is the first time I've made it this far, and I'm having trouble wrapping my head around it.

Basically, everywhere you have folk living to provide workforce can stay like it is; commuter piers cost Influence, so you don’t want to just put ‘em everywhere you need a couple more farmers or workers.

I generally use them to theme Crown Falls as an Artisan-and-up preserve, while one of the larger off-islands for that map has both a Farmer-Worker population and also all of the polluting Artisan/Engineer employers which aren’t located on the Cape itself. Once I’m pushing serious numbers of Investors, I will generally open another large off-island for residential purposes; in this fashion I can provide access to the lion’s share of workforce to any of the three places where almost all of my refining, processing, and manufacturing is.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Khorne posted:

2070 & 1800 are tied for best game in the series. I personally think 1800 is the best, but lots of anno nerds disagree. 1404 & 2205 are both cool and good, and I haven't played the older ones yet but will inevitably buy the history edition once they sort out dx9 fps issues.

IMO: 1800 is the best in its basic mechanics but 1404 was superior as a game. Too much of 1800 does not work from a competitive point of view, and indeed much of the DLC is poorly balanced and works best when loving around with no/ineffective AI (much like 2205, one could argue.)

2070 was pretty excellent as a game but its basic mechanics were not as good as 1404 or 1800.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I will absolutely get into a knife fight over this, and not give a poo poo which side I am fighting for.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

LonsomeSon posted:

I will absolutely get into a knife fight over this, and not give a poo poo which side I am fighting for.

Then you should support 1400 because the "weapons" you built were actual swords and knives. You know, just so you're properly armed for the fight.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
Getting back into this shortly after playing the poo poo out of the base game when it came out. Whats the best way to utilise Cape Trelawney? Main City over there and majority of the lower tier workers in the old map? The thought of managing transportation of goods for two seperate old world maps seems terrifying. One Old world and New World was hard enough

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
After playing alot of 1800 I would say I still prefer 1404 just because I really liked that it was all on one map and just the way everything was set up.

Though 1800 is probably better for really long games with the commuter piers and stuff like that.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I put like 300 hours into it, but in 1404 I'd always start to get overwhelmed when you got into the Orient stuff. I don't think I can go back to not having a statistics screen.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Man finally really getting into the farm update after being distracted by other games (C&C remastered, Satisfactory, etc) and while farm silos and tractors are amazing in the old world...tractors feel like cheating in the new world and I love it

Edit: Seriously, I finally get to actually use some of the oil I'm pulling up right here to make the incredibly valuable farms more compact and land/workforce efficient, and it's such a small amount and fuel stations have such a long coverage range. And that's before I get into anything resembling Mazz level efficiency and boosts.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 5, 2020

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Does Anno 2070 not give you information in-game to easily determine ratios? I guess I'm just supposed to figure things out based on productivity %?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Nope. That information only really started to show up in-game with 2205. Glad they finally listened to feedback which has made it more and more available in 2205 and 1800 though.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Also, I think 2205 and 1800 have created different expectations for road for me?

Some googling told me I don't need everything connected to roads, but: Houses need to be connected to city centers and public buildings, and producers need to be connected to a warehouse. Interconectivity is not needed (eg: no connection back to port.)

Are seaside buildings exempt? Only one fishery is touching a road. Also 2 of my distilleries are not connected to anything, but don't seem to have issues?

Oh god not being able to move stuff hurts.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

Also, I think 2205 and 1800 have created different expectations for road for me?

Some googling told me I don't need everything connected to roads, but: Houses need to be connected to city centers and public buildings, and producers need to be connected to a warehouse. Interconectivity is not needed (eg: no connection back to port.)

Are seaside buildings exempt? Only one fishery is touching a road. Also 2 of my distilleries are not connected to anything, but don't seem to have issues?

Yeah, each Depot has one ground vehicle and one air drone which do logistics stuff; fisheries can be built fully off of the coast and serviced entirely by drones as long as you don’t have too many. Upgrading the Warehouse gets you extras of each type I believe, Depots just get more land vehicles.

Also, I played 2070 enough that I built a complete spreadsheet for all of its production chains, with values for productivity. Slam in the number of houses for each type and get whole numbers of required factories for every chain.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

How it works in the "Modern" Anno games:
Anno 1404: Every building that refines materials has a dude it can send to pick up supplies from either a warehouse or the actual building. These supply dudes do NOT actually need a path and can noclip anywhere. The cart carrying dude the warehouse sends to pick up do require roads though. Upgrading warehouses gives you more carts per building. Do Not Use Occidental Warehouses as they don't upgrade for more carts.
Anno 2070: Every refining building now has a forklift-truck-thingy that requires a road, much like the delivery trucks the warehouses have. Your "Main" island warehouse from where you settled, Port Authority warehouses and max level normal warehouses (very important) also have a flying cargo vehicle that can go pick up harbor stuff and will help supplement the delivery trucks. Upgrade warehouses for more trucks too.

Both of the previous games do also have ultra-rare items you can slot into your items to increase the # of carts.

Anno 2205: Your island has a "Logistics" supply represented as a flat value, buildings take up the Logistics based off of the distance to the nearest truck depot: the further the drive, the higher the value they take up. Build more truck depots to get more "Logistics" and build them closer to your industrial sources to reduce the costs each building puts on your system. As long as Supply > Demand everything teleports instantly.
Anno 1800: Every building has a horse and cart that can pick up or drop off supplies. Warehouses have a certain amount of slots for vehicles. Build more warehouses/upgrade them to get more slots to magically transport supplies around your island. Also any building that is powered trades its horse for a Model T that travels and loads/unloads 2x as fast (though the first load after providing power might be transported by a horse animating at 200% speed which looks hilarious).

I realize everyone knows about the Anno 1800 stuff since this is the 1800 thread but felt I'd just cover all the bases.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Thanks! 2070 is definitely proving to be quite a shift after all the QoL stuff in 2205 and 1800. Farm field placement feels kinda annoying/restrictive and it feels like I am lacking the brain to make good layouts currently. The future games abandoning the range restrictions is such a good change. On the flipside, the range restrictions on public buildings is sort of a welcome guideline compared to 2205 having like, a max capacity that was also weighted by distance?

Also, because "where do they go next" came to my mind - what sort of era/theme do you folks want to see for the next Anno game? I heard they passed on doing something like "Anno 2007" because it would be "too close to reality." A 19xx has the issue of not adding up to 9, but I'm also curious what that would even focus on thematically. I was kinda thinking of a "far far future/sci-fi" Anno where FTL exists and the concept of islands is turned into planets (with maybe a single session being a solar system or collection of systems?) But that's probably a bit out there.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Anno 900 BC, but it's in Egypt and the "islands" are oasises in the desert? Or maybe one set in Japan across islands?! I'd like to see them take a real risk at doing something a bit different ala Anno 2070 jumping into the future. After the extremely good, but very safe Anno 1800.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

I'd be surprised if it was anything other than returning to 1404/Dawn of Discovery era -

It's been long enough for a return to form.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Having not played 1404 (or anything before it) what sets it apart from 1800? (Besides 1800 having the old/new world session mechanic)

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Oxyclean posted:

Having not played 1404 (or anything before it) what sets it apart from 1800? (Besides 1800 having the old/new world session mechanic)

Anno 1404 is a chill-out game with charm to spare. Way less plate spinning than 1800, but enough to keep you interested, and the charm levels are off the charts. It's so off the charts that I'm pretty sure 1404 can cure depression. Everyone is just so cheery and happy, and even the villain is so goofily, cartoonishly evil that you can't help but like him.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I remember thinking Nobles where high demanding assholes; Then It was geniuses. Both are chumps compared to T4 and T5 in 1800.

Anyway sign me up for a Roman or egypthian themed A

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Is there anything more satisfying than making the whole chain for candlesticks in Anno 1404? Fields of apiaries for the wax, mines for the brass, hemp farms and so on. It's idyllic. Absolutely true above poster, it's one of the chillest games ever.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
The weird thing for me is the 1 tile field system makes 1800 less stressful than the older titles because I'm subconciously required to waste as little space as possible in these games :v:

Being able to freeform farm design in ways that you can still maximize production and land usage just really makes any of the older games much harder to go back to for me. The cookie cutter production blueprints poo poo was the worst.

In my defense, the end result is usually pretty great

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 12, 2020

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Holy hell that's some nice space usage. I mostly just like to try to get everything nice and rectangular. 2205 isn't too bad since like I said things tend to jigsaw together, but 2070 feels like it hates me.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Anno 1404 is a chill-out game with charm to spare. Way less plate spinning than 1800, but enough to keep you interested, and the charm levels are off the charts. It's so off the charts that I'm pretty sure 1404 can cure depression. Everyone is just so cheery and happy, and even the villain is so goofily, cartoonishly evil that you can't help but like him.

Guess I might have to give the history edition a check-out some time.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I'm bored of most of my current games and ready for Land of Lions. Really need a fix. If you like anno you may want to check out Satisfactory. It scratches the itch in a similar way.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Zedd posted:

I remember thinking Nobles where high demanding assholes; Then It was geniuses. Both are chumps compared to T4 and T5 in 1800.

Anyway sign me up for a Roman or egypthian themed A

Caesar III, but Anno.
Pharaoh & Cleopatra, but Anno.
Zeus & Poseidon, but Anno.
:allears:

I absolutely adore their future aesthetics though, so I'd absolutely be down for a 2304 where you're managing Martian logistics + asteroid belt manufactoriums.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

mitochondritom posted:

Is there anything more satisfying than making the whole chain for candlesticks in Anno 1404? Fields of apiaries for the wax, mines for the brass, hemp farms and so on. It's idyllic. Absolutely true above poster, it's one of the chillest games ever.

Building the cathedral is honestly one of my favorite gaming moments of all time. The World's Fair is fine and all but I don't feel like any monument in any Anno game has ever equaled the cathedral for sheer wow factor or felt anywhere near as satisfying to build.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Gadzuko posted:

Building the cathedral is honestly one of my favorite gaming moments of all time. The World's Fair is fine and all but I don't feel like any monument in any Anno game has ever equaled the cathedral for sheer wow factor or felt anywhere near as satisfying to build.
Some of the sector projects of Anno 2205 did that for me.

Build a Moon Hotel and people brought their dogs!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Yep, I'd love for the next Anno to be ancient Rome, Egypt or hell even ancient China would be great. I've never been a huge fan of the futuristic sci-fi Annos, they're okay but I just can't really get into them. Taking part in history is one of the main reasons I play Anno.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Anno 2020

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vandalism posted:

I'm bored of most of my current games and ready for Land of Lions. Really need a fix. If you like anno you may want to check out Satisfactory. It scratches the itch in a similar way.
Hell yeah it does. I even like it better in some ways.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Factorio is probably even more in-between Anno and Satisfactory since it's top-down and you can borderline automate creating your factory at one point.

But we've got a whole thread for Management Games that should scratch similar itches to Anno.

Doesn't add up to 9. :colbert:

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Finally reached Investors while in a decent money position after maybe 40 hours. loving Engineers are picky as hell. Got like 2m in cash, income rate is around 15k and all goods are currently stable. Feels good man.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Finally reached Investors while in a decent money position after maybe 40 hours. loving Engineers are picky as hell. Got like 2m in cash, income rate is around 15k and all goods are currently stable. Feels good man.

If all else fails:
-Soap to Eli
-Plantain Chips to Isabelle
-Beer to either pirate (though they give half decent prices for Schnapps and Rum too)

And laugh as you make money running at a deficit.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Look I’m already on the side of the workers in 1800 when they strike and their dope protest theme plays while they’re all streaming out of their homes and workplaces with signs, an Anno game where we build production chains to supply, like, Riot Dads and Pizza Witches with the supplies they need to defeat the cops would consume my entire self

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

anno union floated this question back when 2070 first came out, i think the most popular option was expanding out into the galaxy with different planets acting as islands

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Is there any penalty to sending your influence into the negative? I'm getting real tired of some AI opponents but lack the influence to buyout their islands.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Teledahn posted:

Is there any penalty to sending your influence into the negative? I'm getting real tired of some AI opponents but lack the influence to buyout their islands.

You can’t spend any influence. It happens most often to me when I drygulch an AI and am carrying a ton of empty islands; the main problem is that if you were floating on propaganda cash you can’t re-up and if you lose ships you can’t replace them.

I’ve never not had an island buyout result in an immediate war declaration, for what that’s worth.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

"Your people are getting sick"
"Your people are rioting"

Thom12255 fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jul 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

LonsomeSon posted:

You can’t spend any influence. It happens most often to me when I drygulch an AI and am carrying a ton of empty islands; the main problem is that if you were floating on propaganda cash you can’t re-up and if you lose ships you can’t replace them.

I’ve never not had an island buyout result in an immediate war declaration, for what that’s worth.

Allocate influence, I should have said. My cities are mostly revenue neutral, but I'm earning a decent profit from shares on AI islands. Unfortunately I've gotten myself in an annoying war with one of them and can't seem to extricate myself from it. Sinking their navy in defence of my trade overcomes the minor diplomatic gains available, so it's time to wipe them out. I should have just played on a custom map without AI.