Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Cythereal posted:

I like 2205 plenty.

In fact, watching PartyElite's Anno 1800 videos makes me unhappy that they seem to have walked back how intuitive 2205's UI was. I loved how in 2205 each building told you straight up how many units of whatever contributing resources it consumed and how many it produced. It was easy to see, and that panel that told you straightforwardly how much of each resource you were/were not producing was a godsend.

It looks like 1800 is going back to having to stockpile goods in warehouses and markets and they can be put in ships and whatnot, and doesn't give you that immediate at a glance info about buildings and resources.

Aww, that's kind of sad. I can understand it since it's not super-in-the-future, but it was incredibly nice having an overview that let you more easily balance production.

I am pretty surprised at the trains getting nerfed, but it seems like they walked back on making a way more advanced logistics sim this time around.
From the early previews it seemed like warehouse inventories were local as opposed to island wide, meaning that you'd use trains to transport resources from A to B en masse.
But I can understand that being a bit too heavy for anno.

And oh, I am absolutely not above begging for a beta invite, if anyone has a spare one lying around. ( uPlay: SubaruNatale )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

lagidnam posted:

Edit:

Send.

Niiiice, thank you so much.
I didn't get a notification or email or anything, but following the link in https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1985106-Invited-by-a-friend-but-no-email-Check-here activated it.
e: got a mail a while after the game was done installing. :v:

SubNat fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 2, 2019

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Ofaloaf posted:

Sometimes my farmers' houses reach 9/10 residents and then just sit there, never getting to 10/10 so I can upgrade them. What's happening that stops them from reaching 10/10 residents?

Might be deviation in their demand materials?
Like you have enough clothes for 90% occupation, but at 100% you use enough that they go into a deficit? Making them just flicker around 9-10.

Also I'm not sure how much I like how production is listed as minutes-to-make-1-unit, as opposed to units/min.
(ie: Foresters make 1 log every 0:15 minutes, aka 4/min. )
It feels a bit like they put it in just to avoid using fractional units, for farms like hops where you get 0.666.../min

On the flip side, it seems like they've balanced production a bit more towards time based splits, instead of resource based splits.
Most of the chains I've seen so far seem to be 1 input = 1 output.
Instead of what it was in previous titles where you sometimes needed varying amounts of resources for input and output.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Davincie posted:

its not in the beta but level 4 citizens unlock a commutor dock so people can work on other islands, not entirely sure how it works but it will probably help

Oh yeah, that would absolutely help a lot.
Just like how I assume level 4 citizens will unlock steam ships that'll probably be way faster as well.

Yeah, that made me look up their devblog.
In reference to an earlier focus test in December:

quote:

The new workforce feature was also a welcome change for most players, as it offers many new intricate ways to play around with Anno 1800’s mechanics. However, as the content was limited to Tier 3, players spent a lot of time playing the same game loop again, settling and expanding their empire to various islands without being able to transfer their workforce. To shed some light on that matter, workforce transfer will be available via the commuter harbor, which becomes available with Tier 4 (the Engineers).
In the full game, we expect players will likely advance to tier 4 earlier, instead of heavily expanding during tier 3. In order to get more quality feedback across the entire gameplay loop (including the late-game portion of Anno 1800), we will continue to make use of our focus tester program.

I guess it'll be just like trading energy in Anno 2205, just set the amount you want to transfer, and it's probably capped by the amount of commuter docks you have, or something like it. Or demand a certain amount of resources the more you send.

One thing I'm not sure how much I like though is how much more granular the 'island upgrades' are now.All of them depend on a town hall/trade guild to socket in.
But the upgrades are local, and thus only in a smallish radius.
I guess this makes sense for some things, since you could easily fit quite a few factories of 1 type around one, making clusters of factory X or Y to make use of stacked bonuses.
But with farms and houses it's a bit tepid, because it means that your seeds/island fertilities are only in a small radius.

Also the influence radii cannot ever touch, so you're forced to have trade guilds a bit apart from eachother even if they give different bonuses.

On one hand I very much miss the Island and Sector wide upgrades from 2070.
But on the other hand it makes fertilities significantly more flexible, since it means you can essentially grow everything you need on an island, provided you dump a lot of money and influence into getting the seeds.
I feel like I'd be happier with it if atleast the city/house/citizen boosts were city wide.

(Seeds also seem to have quality signifiers now, I've seen 2 tiers of them so far. )
Tier 1 seeds grant the fertility and production -15%. Tier 2 just gives the fertility.

For anyone curious where to get the city/citizen boosts, Archibald sells them.
Though he was bugged out with me and didn't automatically refresh his wares, so for a long time I thought he only sold immunity papers.

e: I am enjoying myself though and will probably get the game on launch.
Though I really do hope scenarios make a comeback.
The Beta only has references to Campaign and Sandbox, though that could be because this was a branch off of the version they've given out to some streamers. (If you click new game, then cancel out again the screen will flash with a Campaign / Sandbox mode selection screen.)
It would be kind of sad if they were missing, since I feel like that's one of the things that wrecked 2205's longevity.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Feb 3, 2019

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

... huh.

Ok, the people you can get passively as part of the visitors dock can be pretty rad.
(I've gotten 2 so far, both of them purple.)

I wonder if it's based on how many visitors / how attractive the city is, or if every dock just has a small chance every now and then to spawn one.

e: I guess it looks like there are 5 tiers of citizens in the Old World?
Engineers seem to be needed for the various things, while Investors seem to grant bonus influence, based on the tooltips on the influence screen.

Also influence you use for newspaper propaganda is apparently returned when their effects finish. (As opposed to use-and-lose, which I thought.)

Also there's a small, passive bonuses tab on the influence screen.
Stuff like having 100 influence invested in culture gives you +1% impressiveness generation, etc.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 3, 2019

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I checked the devblog and:

quote:

g4mer901
Will it be possible to build sole production islands or will I need to create a new settlement with each island expansion?
Answer: Reaching the fourth residential tier unlocks a new building: the commuter harbor. This new building allows you to connect different islands, which also have a commuter harbor and once linked; islands will share their workforce as one global pool. This means that you will not need to create settlements to support your production islands. But beware: an economy which mainly relies on a commuter network is an easy target during war, as one well-directed blow to your commuter harbors can cripple your whole production pipeline.

In exchange for hitting Tier 4 inhabitants + spending some upkeep + influence, you just get a global workforce pool.
(I assume they say global because it seems like you need Engineers over in the New World to set up electricity production / oil mining there.)
Basically like how it was in other Annos.

And I suppose you could easily hit that without ever building up a population off your main island, even.
Since all starter islands seem to start with Potatoes + Wheat + Hops + Furs, all you really need for the Engineers are some Red Peppers. Which you either could buy off traders, or just buy a fertility for.
Otherwise I think you only really need a few farmers on a separate island to produce red peppers you can ship back as well, so it could have been done a lot leaner than what I did.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Ditto.

The Digital Deluxe edition is like 63usd on greenmangaming, so I imagine I'll just pick that up.
It apparently covers only 1 DLC(Which was supposed to come out 'spring', so I assume 2-3 months after release.), so I feel Ubisoft might be waiting a bit to see how the release pans out before they commit to any larger DLC plans.
(After all, even their description mentions you getting the 'first' of the DLCs. )

quote:

The Anarchist DLC: Meet Dr. Hugo Mercier – the Anarchist – and decide whether he will become a powerful ally or a mighty opponent. This new character comes with new quests and new items. Dr. Hugo Mercier also brings a new player portrait and a new company logo for you to customize your profile. Available Spring 2019
If he comes with new items, I suppose he'll be another trader/pirate stronghold character. But that sounds like kind of little for a single DLC.

Has there been any talk of scenarios, by the way? Can't really find anything on their devblog.
Alongside the 'random' maps, scenarios were really the biggest omission in 2205, I feel. Especially since the rolling ones they had for 2070 were quite neat.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

boar guy posted:

im still playing it...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the cutoff was supposed to be 1800GMT.
The game is still bootable for me though.

Though checking their site, it seems they extended it a bit:
"The Closed Beta will run from 31. January 2019 to the 4th of February 2019."

So I assume it'll knock off in the next 2-8 hours or so, then.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I played it just fine this fall on win10. I think it was the steam version, even. (Gold/Venice)
The only real issue for me was rather small text/ui on a higher res monitor.

I too was a filthy modder, but I doubt that has any bearing on the game's stability.
(Other than most of the npc cities rioting and burning down in the campaign due to changes in the mod, of course. :v:)

SubNat fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 5, 2019

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I really do appreciate the fact that this game is going to come out at the start of the easter vacation this year.

I'm still kind of worried about the Scenarios though, since there's been 0 mention of them at all. Only sandbox and campaign.
(And some streamers have shown off a bit of the campaign, which seems like the standard Anno tutorial, early on.)

It would be pretty rad if they made a scenario editor so people could make their own, but I suppose that'll be up to the fans again.
(There have been made 3rd party map editors + scenario makers for games like 1602 and 1404, apparently.)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Weird, the UI has options for teams, but at the end they mention:

quote:

And as your feedback is always important to us: While there won’t be a classic Co-Op mode in the game at launch, we will add it as part of our post-launch plans for Anno 1800.

I'm kind of curious what that means specifically.
It could mean that for whatever bizarre reason, players can be allied, but not share the same empire, as people are expecting at launch.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

There's also custom scenarios you can play to help speed things up from the usual weeks long grind this game can be and a matchmaking tool of sorts.

Hm? I didn't see anything referring to scenarios at all, just that you can adjust the full range of custom-map settings, as if you were playing singleplayer. (ie difficulty, mapsize, type, etc.)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, if I'm not misremembering the trains had a bigger role in earlier designs of the game.
I'm pretty sure they talked about having non-island wide storage, and the trains roles were to chuck goods around. It seemed like they were angling for a way more complex simulation. (With transport playing in to efficiency and bottlenecks.) Just to justify the presence of trains.
(I think the first video, or one of the first videos had a train hauling goods from a large farm hub.)

Then they scaled it back, possibly due to tester feedback, on top of them finding it to not be a good fit.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

If there were any issues, they've fixed it now.
In EU I can use one of the -20% codes on the preorder without issue.

And honestly, with their -20% I guess they're actually the cheapest legit site to buy from, which makes a lot of sense. (GMG currently only has it -15% off. )

And to anyone annoyed that it's not on Steam anymore: Don't ubisoft games still force you to use uplay anyhow, even if you have them on Steam?
I've just bought ubi games straight from/for uPlay for the last couple of years, so I'm not sure if they still do that or not, but I remember it being a thing back with Anno 2070, From Dust, etc.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Alright, then I really see zero downside to them not offering it on Steam, honestly.
(Though offering it on the Epic Store, which is undoubtedly going to do it in the same way anyhow, seems kind of weird. )

I guess they're just terrified of framing it as an uPlay exclusive, and being able to lean on the Epic Store as an excuse is giving them an out in regards to stepping away from Steam then.
(Even if the Epic Store might only account for a small fraction of the sales, since a lot of people are likely quite tempted by the -20%/100coin offers. (Especially since you get most of them back for buying it anyhow.))

And then they'll probably just release it on Steam in a year/once the Game+DLC bundle is done, and in effect get a secondary launch, with any publicity and sales that might garner.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 2, 2019

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

- You get a unique decoration for playing in the open beta.

Playing the game a bunch just to reset on launch day isn't super appealing.
(Especially since I'll probably be binging the game due to it arriving smack dab in the Easter Vacation. )

But I wonder how much you need to play to unlock this.
Just boot up the game and that's it?

After all, knowing how the game works is just going to make the campaign significantly worse as they slowly, slowly plod through explaining mechanics you figured out during the first 5 min of the previous beta.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Psychotic Weasel posted:

They also answered some questions regarding microtransactions. There won't be any in the game (at least at launch, sure that's subject to change) and instead they'll have what they've done in recent games where the extra decorative items and doodads can be unlocked using uplay points. These points are often aquired by unlocking achievements and whatnot.

Just ~1 more day before the beta depending where you live. Can't wait.

Might end up like 2070, where there were quite a few smaller DLC out and about.
A couple of ~1usd ones to unlock content you'd get from world events you might have missed for example, and a couple others for additional missions or vessels.
( https://anno2070.fandom.com/wiki/DLC )
(And also the expansion, of course.)

Though I guess unlocking event content isn't likely, since there's been no trace or hint as to them adding scenarios, or events.
It's something I really hope they'll incorporate in a patch, or in a possible content expansion. Lack of scenarios was a massive downfall of 2205, and it's a bit sad they might be excluded again.

Maybe they're not feeling they can reconcile it with the multi-session gameplay? It's a huge omission from 1404 and 2070, in any case.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

boar guy posted:

did anyone get their keys from greenman yet? making me a little nervous that i still don't have the game in my Ubisoft account

Don't worry, I've bought from GMG a bunch of times. It's not uncommon for keys to be sent out on release day, or right before. You'll probably get it towards the end of this week, or on monday.
(Though larger titles with preloads on steam and the like often got keys sent out a few days ahead of time, but I doubt this applies for that. )

(Though this time I just bought it on uPlay, since the -20% rebate in exchange for 100 coins works on preorders in Europe. And buying the game gave me back ~40 coins again.)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Link for redeeming rewards for the game: https://club.ubisoft.com/en-GB/game/anno-1800/PC/rewards

I do find it a bit strange that I can't redeem/get the chess table though, despite just having played the Open Beta for a bit.
Is there a certain milestone you need to hit, or has it not unlocked for other people who have played it?

(I did get the one for the closed beta, atleast, looks like.)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

PancakeTransmission posted:

I wish the beta carried on (or at least the download does - takes a full night to download on 6Mbps) so I didn't feel like all I did was going to be over tomorrow.

When the release comes, try starting the full game download.
Stopping it, closing uPlay. Then copying over the files from the beta into the full game's folder.
Then start uPlay again and continue the full game installation.
(And/or possibly verify game files.)

This open Beta branch is likely extremely similar to the full release, just with a couple parts locked off in code, as opposed to excluded entirely. So it's possible that some of the archives for it don't change, and if uPlay can recognize the files already installed, you might be able to save a couple GB worth of downloading time.

Though I would also not be surprised if there are small changes to each of them, and you have to redownload the whole thing, but it doesn't hurt to try.

e: And yeah, honestly it would have been a good marketing move if they just let progress carry over. It's a pretty strange decision for something a few days from release.

e2: Quick question, is anyone else having quest objectives not getting highlighted/outlined? It's basically impossible to find stuff like wild animals because they're not outlined like they've been in the past.
And I'm pretty sure they were in the closed beta?

SubNat fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 13, 2019

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Mazz posted:

The new system is a little weird, at least for market buildings. I have a house that is only 86% in range of the market so its functional but missing a occupant for upgrading. It does make it so that the network of your streets is actually important now though, since a good layout actually makes the buildings reach farther since it seems to be total road distance.

also trade unions are very cool, you can get items that do things like take steps out of a production chain and what not, lots of potential to have localized buffs like that available.

The Trade Unions also extend to fertilities, unless they've changed that from the closed beta. Which massively changes how the fertility system in the game works.
On one hand, it means that a single large island could produce nearly everything in the old world, at the expense of a lot of money sunk into buying seeds and refreshing the 1-2 traders that offer them. (Seeds also had debuffs, so unless you got the best ones you'd also have a production penalty on them.)
It also means that a seed will only be able to run a couple farms, instead of giving you the ability to mass-produce it on the entire island.

That, alongside with what a different goon mentioned a bit upthread (There being no secondary currency/licenses, so everything costs money, and a lot of it. ) makes them extremely expensive to utilize though.

They're more micromanagey and significantly more expensive.
And I'm still not sure if I like that or not, vs Anno 2070's island wide production bonuses / fertilities.
Though on the flip side it seems like quests give out items and specialists pretty often though, which might make up for the loss of licenses, a bit.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I was kind of curious about the different map types, so I ran a quick test.

One thing I was curious about, since the map types often put the pirate cove at a specific spot: If you disable pirates, they just get replaced by a different faction isle, like the prison.
Outside of that, it seems like the Archipelago is the smallest/densest map type, if you look at how large the islands are vs the total size of the map.

While Atoll or Island Arc are the largest ones.
Archipelago is the densest both in the distance between islands, and the fact that the empires start on basically neighbouring isles, while in a lot of the other maps they're more spread out.
I don't see a huge difference between corners and snowflake, outside of corners having slightly more open water in the centre, though that might be due to the seed.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

What in the world is that link? It's just garbled text.

Also for anyone curious, the game has a preload available on uPlay already.
~39GB install size, so slightly larger than the open beta.
( 23.10GB download. )

SubNat fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 13, 2019

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

vandalism posted:

Is there some display that shows how many hog farms are required to efficiently run the sausage plant, for example?

If you mouse over a building in the building toolbar, it'll say how long it takes to produce 1 unit of goods.
Like the lumber mill / forester each use 0:15 to make one, aka 4 units/min.
I think the Pig farm & Sausage farm each are 0:30 or so, and use/produce goods at an equal ratio.
It also says how many of them you already have on the island.

And it seems like the production lines generally just use 1 of each input good to make 1 output good? Making it less of a hassle to plan out. (Though I'm not entirely sure about that one.)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

boar guy posted:

nah. you can run two brick factories from one mine, for example

Yes, because the brick factories work at half the speed of a Clay one.
(Clay mine produces at 0:30 / 2/min, Brickmaker produces at 1:00 / 1/min.)

I was referring to if there were 'recipes' for building that use multiple of their input materials, like 2 coal, 1 iron for 1 steel for example.
I'm pretty sure that in this game they balanced the chains so that you don't get that, which is what I was referring to.
I guess I worded it kind of poorly.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

skeleton warrior posted:

It’d be nice if I found a way to say how much total stuff my people wanted in food and goods, but I guess I’m back to watching the warehouse indicators

Yeah, Anno 2205's perfect, exact production/consumption stats were great to have.
It's always felt like they obfuscate stuff like how much the citizens consume, to make balancing production more poking in the dark.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the engineers unlock a statistics-building, or equivalent.

e:

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

What's the correct production ratio for beer?

Brewery uses 1 hops, 1 wheat / min.
So 1 grain farm per brewery.
But hops make o.667
So 3 hops farms, 2 grain farms and 2 breweries should be optimal.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 13, 2019

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Communist Bear posted:

The beta has convinced me to get the game.

I might also pick up Anno 2205 if I can find it cheap, but I'm trying to decide between is and 2070? Which is better?

I think a lot of people in the thread might recommend 1404, though I really like 2070. (The Scifi near-future, post global warming setting was what actually drew me into the series, not having paid it much attention previously.)
Anno 2205 is very different from 1404/1800/2070 though, with a larger focus on streamlining things and possibly oversimplifying them.
It's a neat game on it's own, but it's not a game that's well liked by the anno crowd.

Also if you look at cd-key sites you could easily pick up 2070 or 2205 with all dlc for around 15-20ish bucks.
e: like: https://www.kinguin.net/category/748/anno-2070-complete-edition-digital-download/
https://www.kinguin.net/category/58854/anno-2205-ultimate-edition-uplay-activation-link/
for example.

But if you like Anno 1800, then 2070 would be the most similar one, and more along what you expect. Though 2205 has the same kind of multi-map gameplay as 1800, though across half a dozen maps at the same time, in the late-game.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Apr 14, 2019

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Delacroix posted:

So I got a ship mortar from farming graves' ships and it's probably one of the better ship items I've seen other than some epic rarity captains.

I remember getting a mortar or two in the closed beta, they made cleaning out the pirate cove pretty drat easy without taking much in the way of damage, since you could just chill on the backside of the isle and mortar the guns out without being in danger.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

That's fitting, because if you've got a VPN and tune into japan/aus, the game is available now.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Drone posted:

Does Uplay not get pissy if people do this?

Nobody does.
Uplay, Steam etc get pissy if you try to use VPNs to circumvent your region's pricing, like buying cheap games from eastern europe etc.

They do not care about people accessing games early, since they've got your money, and that's all they care about.
Every time a game has a staggered release like this ( or separate US/EU times. ) thousands of people unlock games like this, there is never any issue.

e: Well, that's a weird way to handle the preorder bonus:

You just get a selection screen during game setup.
If they're just going to switches on/off, I'd rather have them be integrated into the game settings alongside other per-game settings.

I'm not even sure which ship gets replaced.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 15, 2019

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Filthy Monkey posted:

The steam version isn't unlocked yet, even going through a VPN. I am connected with mullvad though japan right now, and it doesn't work. People are reporting that if you bought it straight from ubisoft it is working though.

Yes, that is due to VALVE TIME(tm).
Games don't unlock until valve pushes the button to publish the title around lunchtime US.

Which is super annoying for us in europe, since that means that games unlock at 18-20 in the evening.
(There are a few midnight launch exceptions, however. But that's only for the biggest launches.)

I have no idea how it is for anyone who bought it on the Epic Store, however.

e: I have now gotten 2 crashes right after the part where the open-beta campaign ended.
Not sure if it's because of dx12, or gsync.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 15, 2019

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Mazz posted:

Did you uninstall the beta? They said there could be issues if you didn’t, not sure if that’s at all the problem but worth mentioning

Yup, wiped it, and have the newest drivers.
Dropped it down to dx11 to see if that fixes it.
Games rarely support dx12 well, so I'm not surprised if that's the issue here.

Mayveena posted:

Yeah I'm using Hotspot Shield and went through GMG/Ubisoft and I'm fine. Gotta break for breakfast though, don't want to pass out in the chair from hunger :).

You'll get a 'suspicious activity' email from Ubisoft though.

Well yes, but that's suspicious as in 'we think someone might have hijacked your account.' Because you're suddenly logging in from the other side of the world.

e: yup, no crashes since dropping down to dx11.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 15, 2019

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Drone posted:

So how's this VPN thing work if I pre-ordered on Uplay? Connect my handy dandy NordVPN to Australia, launch Uplay, then the game somehow activates? Do I need to remain VPN'd into Australia until the game officially releases here in Germany, or do I only need to VPN in once for the activation?

Should be
VPN in, uPlay goes 'oh hey, you're australian, the game is unlocked for you.' and you can start it up. I just tend to keep the VPN on, so online stuff functions normally.

Very likely the game will-unactivate again if you turn off the VPN and try to launch the game again.
Though uPlay does have an offline mode, so just logging in with the VPN, then activating uPlay's offline mode. (Top left button / menu, 'Go Offline.)

It's worth mentioning that for both uPlay and Steam, you'll want to turn off the client before starting up the vpn.

Gyshall posted:

As a dude who pre-ordered via Steam, I'd like to know that too.

I'm not sure if Steam has the same rolling unlock as uPlay, but if it does:
Turn off steam, log onto VPN, verify that you can run the game ( it might have to decrypt, on steam. Or install extra stuff.), then you can restart steam in offline mode and then turn off the vpn if you want to.
There's no problem with playing the game with the vpn on the whole time either, honestly.

In either case, if you log onto the client without having the VPN on, the game is very likely to go back into 'pre-load / unreleased game' and won't let you start it again. So until release hits in your timezone, you'll need to use offline mode, or be on the vpn.
(Though if you turn off the vpn after starting up the game, it's not like the launchers will kick you out, but they may act oddly in regards to online functionality.)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

So campaign postgame, when it goes over to being a sandbox spoiler:
There are a bunch of weird, sometimes invisible decoration elements left over on the island after getting razed. Some of them I can't delete, it's super drat annoying.
I really wish they'd just purged the island the same way they do when you do a takeover of an island in normal gameplay. So that you got a completely clean slate.

Or at the very least turned all the non-buildings, non-roads into the same kind of item that trees/vegetation are, so that they'd be deleted when you built on them.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Huh, the expansion influence bonus just gives you +50(/100/150) of each workforce to each island, not just farmers or workers..
That's not too shabby.

A shame all the influence bonuses are basically irrelevant until you hit the endgame, unless you make a dedicated effort to fill one up.

For anyone who hasn't noticed them:
Click on the influence icon in the top left. Then browse to the second page of it.
You get passive bonuses like +50/100/150 workforce per island, ship movement speed, ship attack speed, etc based on how much influence is dedicated to the associated tier.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I would not mind if there was an item that cost like 100,000 credits, but let you move around clay deposits.
Those and oil just have a habit of spawning in awkward locations, extra so in the new world where the rivers already present a big issue.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Pylons posted:

No, because the "worker" system was new or at least only in 2205. I've heard there's a commuter dock you can build later on that'll allow islands to share workers, but I can't confirm that.

Yup, once you hit engineers you can build a commuter dock to transfer workforce between islands, having people live on one and work on another.
Which massively simplifies everything, since at that point you can just collect all your workforce on 1 or 2 islands, and industry on the rest.

Also important tip: The tourist piers you get with artisans are probably one of the most reliable and cheap ways to get specialists. Once you have a couple hundred beauty on your island you start getting a 10-30% chance of getting a free specialist with every visit.
(And specialists in the cargo hold are one of the biggest boosts to stats during expeditions, though they can die if you mess up. )

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

deathbagel posted:

Also, those tourist piers provide free income, so build one on every mildly developed island that has a couple hundred beauty on it.

I've never been entirely sure how that functions.
I just assumed that the sum was a 1-time thing when they came.
Though if it's just a per-min profit thing, then sure, slap it down wherever it generates more than the maintenance of the thing.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'm probably just stupid, but I had a bit of a hard time parsing the OP. Does 1800 still have the same deal as the previous futuristic one, where your colonies are almost entirely determined by how many luxury goods are produced? I was frustrated by that because I kept running into roadblocks of having my growth grinding to a halt because I didn't have enough energy drinks and Playstation 24s to go around.

Well, luxury goods aren't required in the same way anymore. They provide additional happiness + income, but you can level up citizens without them. (Though riots and the like become more of an issue then. )
So if I'm understanding your issue right: Yes, they've solved that quite a bit.

They are the bigger income makers when it comes to tax though, so if you run out you'll notice a significant hit to income.

e: As Gadzuko mentions though, supplying the full spectrum of goods and services to your citizens are a core part of the gameplay loop, so you're still going to slow down if you run out of soap, or sausages.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Aphex- posted:

Picked this up today, very excited about another old times Anno game. I absolutely adored 1404 but bounced off 2070 and never played 2205. One question, as someone with a fair amount of experience with Anno, is it worth playing through the campaign or just diving right into a sandbox game?

Well, this time the campaign is basically a wrapper around the sandbox game.
So you can play through it and it adds extra objectives + events that tie into the story, and then when you finish it it progresses over to sandbox on the same map.
You do it at the pace you want to, with nearly all the quests starting and ending when you say so, instead of the game forcing thing after thing on you.

It's relatively short, and can be wrapped up before you hit engineers even.
Outside of a few limitations right at the start, it's mostly sandbox.
If you're interested in having a couple additional talking heads talk at you compared to a normal sandbox game, then go for it.

If anything, it gets you into the game faster because your starting island will keep giving you construction materials at the start, speeding up the beginning of the game a decent clip.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

That same timer is shown if you hover over the building in the construction menu.
And it'll even tell you how many of those buildings you have on the island, letting you quickly figure out if they're balanced or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I'd say that reaching the new world is the start of Act 2, out of 3. Campaign wise. So half to a third, depending on how much you push forwards into it.

Also, I'm not a huge fan of the coal mines.
You need engineers to build them, but then they just match the output of a charcoal burner? (Looking at the wiki, anyhow.)

I was hoping they'd atleast have 2x output or something, but they just save space and a bit of attractiveness, provided you have enough coal nodes on the island to supply the industry.