Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

So, my quest line got bugged out last night as I was playing. I just purchased the game yesterday, and really having a lot of fun. It is bugged so I can't initiate new quests or pick up quest objects. Happened when I was supposed to pick up some rebels in the new world. Will the patch today hopefully resolve this issue, or has the response been that it is breaking more games than fixing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

IncredibleIgloo posted:

So, my quest line got bugged out last night as I was playing. I just purchased the game yesterday, and really having a lot of fun. It is bugged so I can't initiate new quests or pick up quest objects. Happened when I was supposed to pick up some rebels in the new world. Will the patch today hopefully resolve this issue, or has the response been that it is breaking more games than fixing?

Patch did not break my save, but did not resolve quest issues. Guess I will have to restart.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

vandalism posted:

I am gonna start growing capthcauoghouacoutch whatever the gently caress today and set up more rum chains too. :pirate:

You can just say rubber, raw rubber, or unvulcanized rubber.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

My city feels it has grown uglier!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Thanks for the info dump, it looks really cool! And it is coming sooner than I expected as well, which is nice! I also love how happy your avatar is to be forklift certified. Season 4 DLC will introduce forklifts to the dockyards to boost their efficiency.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Wipfmetz posted:

I haven't used them in my recent playthroughs, but I think you used them BEFORE the ultimatum expires, i.e. while the mission is active.

My favourite tycoon ultimatum is the nuclear power plant ultimatum, though. Anno 2070 is very german at this: Abolish Nuclear Power, go surface mined coal forever.

Oddly enough this rabid German anti-nuclear power thing was the most jarring turn-off of one of Netflix's best new shows, "Dark". The show is still very good though.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

When the tourist dlc drops, do I have to start a new game or can I just add it in? I am about 30 hours I to my most successful game so far and have unlocked all sorts of cool things I never got to before and I don't want to restart.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

boar guy posted:

in the vast, vast majority of cases the dlc has integrated with existing saves

Oh, thank God. I am at the point of the game when I can get some super combos up that are insane. I have "Salmon Island" that is just an island with docklands and harbor masters along with fisheries catching fish at about 1 ton every 6 seconds. It trades fishes for rum and fur and some other stuff that I don't even need new world for the most part.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

So I’ve had this game since it came out and kept buying the DLC seasons passes but I haven’t been *playing* it.
I’m really intimidated by the min/max optimization of farm fields and production chains to make the most use of your space. I find myself googling those pixel guides that show you how to cram everything into a tight space and I don’t think that kind of stuff is fun at all.

Is there a way to just play the game without having to worry about that stuff? I want to do well in it but I don’t want to constantly alt tab to check what things are supposed to be.

Unless you want to absolutely jam pack an island with as many investors as possible it is not at all necessary to do any min/maxing. You can easily get to the end game content/sessions with unoptimized islands and whatnot. Perhaps play without any AI competition and just chill out and build however you want to. Some of the end game items and buildings can make your production buildings and farms so powerful that it can make up for being very unoptimized.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I'm gonna try this out. I played Anno 2070 forever ago. What, if any, DLC/expansions are good? Or should I just get the basic game? Kind of annoying that it isn't on steam.

When they have expansions launch they sometimes have better sales. The most important DLCs would be : Sunken Treasures (allows diving, but the main draw is unlocking Cape Trelawny a big huge island specifically reserved for the player), Bright Harvest (Allows you to add silos and tractors to enhance farming and livestock) and Docklands (allows you to trade for hard to produce items really easily.)

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

If you use that template it seems to use up a lot of coast. Between the palace and docklands you can create some crazy, crazy combos to trade, so make sure to save yourself some room on the southern coastlands.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Anyone know when the tourist dlc drops? I have my best game ever going, but I have left it simmering for a few weeks now as I don't want to expand until I know what the tourist stuff looks like, in terms of interactions and whatnot.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I have a feeling that the hotel will be the "base" building, and the bus station has a range, and that range is what tourists can interact with. But that is just a guess.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Redeye Flight posted:

I'm actually thinking about even farther in the future, because the way the gimmick has been going, there's only one plausible outcome for the game AFTER that.

The Mediterranean antiquity game, Anno 0009.

I would think they would probably save that for the 9th installment. Otherwise it would be confusing!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Gadzuko posted:

It definitely won't be a month. Docklands was late February, tourists just came out, I wouldn't expect the next dlc until late July or August.

Where are the developers based out of? If they are European, specifically Nordic or German, I think August is unlikely as I believe lots of places close up shop mostly for vacation in August.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Mayveena posted:

Keep in mind they are devs not publishers. So ubisoft may get the code before August but we don't see it until August.

That is true, but I would think they might be reluctant to release anything to a wide audience if support would be limited or non-existent in case of big game breaking bugs they may have missed. Then again, my previous statement is solely based on conversations I had with cool devs at Paradox Con a few years ago, a different company with different ways of doing things. And Paradox day one bugs are typically on a different scale than what I have seen with the Anno series.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

How do I use a consumable item in my town hall? I’ve left clicked on it, right clicked on it, tried to drag it back to the harbor etc. but it won’t get out my danged town hall!

Also why am I all the sudden losing piles of money about the time I get engineers? I’m doing alright by selling soap and fir coats, but I wish that red number didn’t always say -5000

For the consumables, once they are activated they will stay in that slot until the timer expires, as far as I know.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Mayveena posted:

Can you get items for the Artic in the usual places or is there something special you need to do or place(s) you need to go? Man I hate that place but I'm determined to make a save with all of the DLC.

Also there was a way to see your museums/gardens/zoos and see what's missing but I can't find it.

If you click on the main building of the Zoo/Garden/Museum it will show you all the sets of items that can be collected and what you have and what you are missing. But I am not sure if there is a way to access that info without navigating directly to those buildings in the session window.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Mayveena posted:

I ended up destroying the entire area of people.

This seems oddly thematic for the time period, but what the developers seemed to be trying very hard to avoid.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

WhiteHowler posted:

Similar question, I've never played an Anno game but have been wanting to pick this up to play co-op with my wife.

The standard version is on sale for $24. Is anything in the complete edition worth the extra $36 (times two) for a couple of first-timers?

I would say the expansions add a lot of stuff and that there are so many expansions and seasons passes and whatnot that getting the whole package for 60$ is a really good deal. That being said I was pretty darn happy with the game for many hours before any expansions. The biggest gameplay change is the "Big Island" that becomes available in the Season 1 Sunken Treasures DLC.

Perhaps buy the 24 dollar version and the Season 1 pass for 12, for a total of 36 each, and then if you enjoy the game you can pick up the S2 and S3 passes when they eventually go on sale. You would still have a lot of fun and content to play with, but if it turns out not for you you would not have invested too much.

Edit to add: Cape Trelawny as mentioned in the post above mine is what I meant when I referenced the Big Island in Sunken Treasures.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

WhiteHowler posted:

Thanks. I went ahead and did just this.

I just started the campaign and am suitably confused, but it's still early. Game reminds me a bit of Tropico so far?

I assume the multiplayer is Sandbox mode only, right?

I believe so, but the campaign mode is actually just a slight modification of the sandbox mode. There are some fixed islands and quests, but as you advance in the campaign it becomes more hands off and closer to the sandbox. There are no abandoned buildings in the sandbox mode so you miss out on maybe 100 free wood and 50 free bricks, so it can take a little longer to get your engine going. I would almost be prepared to have a game that is kind of a rough trial run/learning experience, in which you will build a lot of stuff in sub-optimal ways, not have useful trade routes, and that ends up in a giant un-manageable mess at about the time you get engineers. Then you figure out that oil exists and that will turbo gently caress all the designs you have done. At this point a lot of people do a clean start and start another game that they approach slightly differently from the very beginning. Since you know this is likely to happen don't fret anything you do in the campaign/first sandbox game, and don't get bogged down with analysis paralysis. No need for a perfect wheat farm hugging the coastline, just shove that poo poo anywhere you can at first.

Edit to add: Unlike Tropico, resource in warehouses are all "connected", so you can dump coal from a mine right into a warehouse right next to it, and then on the other side of the map you could plop down a warehouse and a smelter right next to it and the smelter would be able to pull the coal from the adjacent warehouse.

IncredibleIgloo fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 28, 2021

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

WhiteHowler posted:

I started playing at 10pm last night, and then suddenly it was 3:30am.

I have a nice little village set up, and just got access to iron. Money is starting to be a problem though. Most of my income is from population, and I'm not making enough surplus of anything in particular to create a lucrative trade route.

I set a a high "sell" threshold on almost everything, and periodically an AI ship will stop by and buy some stuff. I'm not sure if this is the best way to do it.

One thing I'm having trouble with is figuring out ratios for different things in a given supply chain. For example, I don't know how many pig farms I need if I have two soap factories and a sausage factory. I need an infographic or something!

Overall I'm having a blast, and now that I've learned how to fail hard, I'm going to start a new game with my wife today.

There is an Anno Wiki that has a really good production chain infographic along with a lot of other information. I believe there is even an app. As for the money, the trick is to have enough population to use most of the production of factories making their luxury goods and needs. Like you are paying full price for the beer, schnapps, and other factories regardless of how much or little their product is being consumed, so it is a strategy to maximize the use. Liquiring up the people is one of the best ways to make money, and also selling soap to Eli the warden will make a lot of money as well.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

WhiteHowler posted:

How do luxury goods work when supplying your own population? Will they just automatically go get things from a marketplace/pub? I'm having a hard time understanding how many schnapps I need to supply a given population level, and whether/how much I'm getting paid for it.

On the individual housing screen there are little meters for each good that type of citizen needs -- if those are full, does that mean the citizen is buying each of those and paying me (or paying taxes, or whatever gives me money)?

In regards to the needs/luxury meters; yes, when they are full you will receive the amount of coins indicated when you hover over them. The townspeople will retrieve luxury goods the same as needs, simply be being in proximity to a marketplace. Some buildings themselves satiate a need, such as the pub, and the buildings just simply need to be in the catchment zone for that to work. Brick roads extend the catchment zone of buildings, by the way. I believe CTRL-Q will open up a statistics screen that allows you to see production compared to consumption for your island and how much you need.

As for amount needed to supply population, that varies on the good or luxury. Each good or luxury is used by two tiers of population. The higher tier residence will consume more than the lower tier. For example 1 Schnapps distillery provides enough for 60 farmer residences or 30 worker residences. The wiki has some good information on this as well. https://anno1800.fandom.com/wiki/Beer

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Here is a page dedicated to profitability : https://anno1800.fandom.com/wiki/Profitability_of_Consumer_Goods

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

WhiteHowler posted:

Soap seems by far the most profitable luxury early-game. Is the only downside the pollution that the pig farms make?

Yeah, the pigs will devalue an island. Soap is even more profitable selling to the prison than selling to your people though, so it can be worthwhile to make extra. A common strategy is to have a "hell island" full of slaughtered pigs, foundries, charcoal kilns, etc....

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

WhiteHowler posted:

I just settled a second island, and... how does one person manage to keep everything running? I feel like there's always just a little too much to do at any given time. And I'm just barely into the Artisan tier!

The new island doesn't have any infrastructure yet -- should I be manually carting over supplies with my flagship, or should I do a charter?

It will become a tad bit more difficult when you unlock a new "session", the term the game uses for a whole new map with different characteristics and islands of its own. That is when having a multiplayer coop situation could be very helpful. I find myself, when I play alone, I really want to play alone, so I turn off all the AIs and then I can just spend however long I like on one island/issue at a time.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

victrix posted:

problem is it's a fading green aura and it's not remotely clear to me what "slightly less green" means

It means it gives less than 100% value. The lighter it is the less the need/desire is satisfied.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

This latest update with the High Life seems super buggy for me. Several crashes so far, and all sorts of quest and proximity triggers aren't firing. I started a new session, and can barely progress since Fuckface McGee wants 4 Schnapps, but won't trigger that I have it even with more than 4 in storage. Anne Harlowe doesn't even show up on the diplomacy screen either.

Glad I had some work obligations come up to prevent me from spinning up a new game, sounds like they have some stuff to iron out.

I had my best game ever going and I was sticking to it. Had reached all the sessions, was working on oil production and exports, had a palace, a lot of stuff. Then I took a break because of work, then I extended the break until Tourist DLC came out, and never got back to it. So now I think I definitely need to start up a new game to try and figure out all the new DLC stuff.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I've been playing the free weekend and thinking of getting the full game for $24. Actually, Uplay isn't letting me play the game - maybe the free weekend accidentally ends after you have a few hours in-game? Anyway, do you recommend I spring for any DLC?

Edit: it's only $20 on some other resellers

Sunken Treasure gives you a session with a big huge island all of your own and that is pretty transformative. It also lets you tool around in a submarine looking for treasure, which can be a lot of fun. I would recommend that one. Dockyards is the next most transformative, allowing you to fine tune trade and exports and this allows you to skip some portions of a resource chain, which is helpful if you have bad luck getting the required resource or island. Of all the DLCs that unlock new sessions I find the Arctic to be the most thematic and pleasing, but mostly useless. Of all the DLCs that are just culture buildings I believe the Palace is the most useful. It may be worthwhile to figure out which new session appeals to you the most and buy that season pass. Season pass 1 is probably the cheapest and is probably the best one to get. Season pass 3 is the most expensive and adds mostly end game content, so I would pass on that for now. Season 2 allows you to really transform farming and ranching, but somewhat depends on you knowing how to use oil.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'd recommend uplay+ for a month since it is only a dollar and has all the dlc but ever since the last patch I've been unable to play. The current theory is they screwed something up while setting up the free weekend so some people who should have access to the game don't.

Uplay+ has all the expansions, not just the base game? Now I feel a bit like a dummy for buying the $60 one for my son to play with me for what will probably be just a few weeks. Oh well!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

God, Ubisoft loving sucks. I finally get some time to play the game with my son and of course we are hitting about a thousand loving bugs just trying to get the game to work. First it was his game, it had no text. Now my client cannot connect to matchmaking. It is crazy how bad their client is.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Alkydere posted:

Docklands modules are all smaller. Everything besides the additional piers are 3x3, and those are still smaller than the standard ones. As compared to 4x8 for a warehouse or 4x4 for a normal repair crane. Also as Pyromancer said there's the "Loading Dock" modules which give an island wide +50% loading speed to all piers (docklands or not) on that island (stacking additively. So +50%, +100% +150% etc.) The Main Wharf itself also acts as a mega-harbormaster: slightly larger radius and every Docklands Harbormaster module you add slaps an additional +1 item space to the Main Wharf's item limit.

Yeah, you can use the Docklands mega-harbour master and the the palace/local palace to do some crazy production stuff in regards to sand and fish, and then trade thousands of them in the Docklands to bypass more troublesome supply chains.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I don't usually get a ton of use out of the Docklands Harbormaster slots because the radius is usually full of docklands modules. I guess on islands where I don't care about attractiveness I should put them further away.

I usually set up a very specific island to be my fish and sand exploitation island, because you are right, the radius does get better served by being full of Docklands buildings in most cases.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

drunken officeparty posted:

Picked this up yesterday because it was on sale. Got to where the tutorial lady told me to upgrade my farmers to workers, smashed the button on all the houses, then realized now I had no farmers to work anything :saddowns:

You can probably downgrade the houses pretty easily to bring back that worker workforce, or build more farmer residences if you have any wood left.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Mayveena posted:

I've had 248 Tourists for hours. I added another hotel, a Botanical Garden and plants, more stuff for the museum and zoo, still stuck at 248. Any ideas?

Do you have a bus network? I assume you do. Maybe there is no variety theater in the bus network, or perhaps there is not enough bread? Looking at the Tourists needs calculator it says that Museum, Botanical Garden, and the Zoo are only needed after 250 or more tourists are on your island. So maybe a Variety Theater is needed. But I would think if you have two hotels you should be close, and three would definitely have you over 248.

edit: Maybe a screen shot or two might help?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Mayveena posted:

Someone want to help me with tobacco? Do I really need 16 tobacco plantations for clay pipes and cigars?

I believe there is a trade union person that gives tobacco every 5th cycle with other crops, and this can help supplement your tobacco operations if paired with something else you make a ton of, like sugarcane.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Mayveena posted:

Alrighty I'll work on the oil/fuel stuff, thanks all.

It is not really that super difficult, as long as you have a new world island with oil springs and the tobacco fertility. Just ship in a bunch of concrete/windows/steel, and then do an oil well, an oil harbour, and the fuel station. See if you can arrange them to be close together to minimize track. A single pump from the building is enough for a fuel station, and a fuel station can supply up to 20 farms.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I’m trying to redo my New World-Trelawney trade routes with a big storage harbor right next to the edge of each map to make good use of reefers and…it’s a pain in the rear end. Trade routes are definitely something that grows organically over time for me and so there’s no rhyme or reason to it. Trying to rebuild it from scratch is a mess, especially with citrus/wax/camphor added on top of the usual stuff.

I get to this point where everything just becomes a bit too complicated so I move to a hub and spoke. Only one island from each session goes to or receives from a different session. I am trying to figure out if it is best to make the hub the closest island, or the largest consuming island. I feel like hub and spoke with reefers connecting two sessions with islands right at the border is the most efficient use of them. On the other hand some items have such a huge bandwidth need, rum and coffee, that it seems to make more sense to go directand make the hubs the big producers and demanders, regardless of geographic proximity to the border. I have not done a lot of tourist activity yet, how does citrus/wax/camphor impact this?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Also, I believe that each sessions has a "pool" of items that can be drawn, so not all collections will be available in every session.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The actor is a really key specialist I think. They provide Rum and Canned food if there is a Variety theater in range, and this allows you to cut out two whole production chains for Artisans/Engineers, which saves a ton of money. I typically have one or two town halls set totally surrounded by houses with just Artisans/Engineers to enjoy these freebies, then shift the house over in the city when I upgrade them to Investors.

With another town hall with Brasserie Patron Mertens who does the stuff for Workers/Artisans, you can set up a situation where your first 3 tiers of population have very little cost. Brasserie Patron Mertens is especially good if you are just making a worker/farmer island to attach to a commuter pier. With him you can make that whole island close to cost neutral. The specialists and special items are really powerful in this game and there are some really powerful combos.

edit to add: You can also have as many of the specialists, even named ones, as you like. They just cannot go in the same town hall, that is all. So in your mega city you could have 2 actors to cover the artisan districts if you wanted.