Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Was watching some streams of this, and while I really love Anno 1404 and think it's the best of the series and one of the best games ever made, Anno 1800 really looks and plays simply like a reskin of 1404. Maybe there are some new mechanics you get further into the game, but early stuff seems like a carbon copy to the point of parody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Played this for an hour or so, then quickly uninstalled and put in my preorder. Glad to see we have a true charming-as-gently caress sequel to 1404.

The only nitpick I have is I'm not in love with the UI. Just a bit too big and a lost of wasted space, but otherwise I love what this game is doing.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Messing around with some of the settings, and lo and behold setting it to DX12 actually does show a large boost in performance. Up to 20 extra FPS in some areas.

This has got to be the first game ever I've personally scene where DX12 actually had a benefit, versus the vast majority of games where it does nothing or even drags the performance down.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

HORMELCHILI posted:

Lol from all the posts it seems like just winging it is a thousand times easier than using the calculator

More fun too.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

SubNat posted:

Wow, Twitch promotions are really just a circlejerk of trying to inflate twitch views, streamer views, and game visibility, huh?

..... of course they are, that's what a promotion is.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I don't know if this is a bug or something I toggled accidentally, but I started a new game and now the little round character icons that point to where other NPC's are located just persist constantly on the edges of the screen. They don't even seem to point to the same thing. I'll click one, and it take me to some random building on another island, and if I click the same icon a minute later it then points to ship sailing around. A pain in the but, covering the UI on the screen edges. Is that toggelable, or a bug I should report.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Competitor islands always grow super quick, but you don't really need to worry about that unless you plan on going to war with them. If you play with the lowest levels competitors as well, they'll ask if they can settle on new islands, and you can tell them no with only a small rep loss.

Start off slow and don't feel the need to rush into new levels of citizenry as fast as possible. Get to the know the ebbs and flows of the game first before you really try to perfect your society. The game doesn't really punish you at all for taking your time, especially if you tweak the sessions settings to your liking. You can make it as chill or as hectic as you'd like.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
1800 is nice, but it almost adds too much to the mix. I loved 1404 for it's setting and charm, but it was also chill as gently caress. Just enough complexity to keep you interested, without forcing you to juggle cats and keep on eye on everything constantly.

1800 is all "hey, spin these plates and do your taxes at the same time, and also the same thing is happening in these other regions, don't sit still for a second".

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Kuiperdolin posted:

What really irks me is how bad the boat maneuverability is compared to the previous ones. Yes IRL boats can't turn on a dime but that's not an area where I want realism and their goofing around instead of going where I point is not realistic either.

That, and they just start wandering off on their own to follow some pirate they detected on the other side of the map somehow.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

You can set the boats to Hold Position stance if you dont want them wandering off.

I think this is bugged though. I do this, and they still wander off, and I've seen a lot of reports saying the same on different sites.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Control Volume posted:

If Im looking for a game like Banished but challenging and with more spinning plates, this is it, right?

This game'll spin plates at you until the cows come home.

And then it throw more plates at you. It'll smash your teeth in with more plates. They'll drop a greek weddings worth of smashed plates at you. While you're knocked silly by the plate attack, it'll secretly transfer the deed to you for plate spinning factory. And then ask you to spin plates in other parts of the world, different kinds of swarthy plates that spin in different ways.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
These new silos sure like to explode lot.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
They can explode because the grain dust becomes aerosolized, which makes it extremely flammable. Add that to the enclosed spaces of a silo, and you've got a bomb.

I've built three silos so far in one play session, and all three have exploded despite a firehouse right next to them.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Is there any way to get an early tipoff when you need to increase supply of a certain good? I know you can look at production capacity and see what you're producing vs what the demand is, but it'd be nice to have some sort of an early warning that demand is getting close to outstripping supply. I just hate being elsewhere on the map or in another region, only to suddenly find out you're not making enough of a good, which means people start moving out, and then other goods start dropping off from lack of workers, and it just starts to snowball. All that could be avoided if it would just tell you "Hey, time to start making some more clothes" or whatever.

Also, is there an info panel or something that can show where citizens are being assigned or why they rise and fall? Occasionally I've have lots of citizens, all needs provided for and no unique projects being worked on, an then instantly I'm in the negative for available citizens versus jobs, and then a few minutes later it returns to normal. Did half the city just decide to move out for a few hours, and then though better of it and came back?

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 7, 2020

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
No goods coming in by ship, I could understand if I was relying on NPC's to provide goods that supply might drop off leading to citizens being dissatisfied. No ships being built either.

The ships thing is another thing annoys me. There is a need for citizens on ship projects, I just wish it spelled it out more clearly what types of citizens are needed, especially since it doesn't seem to be a steady amount. Starting a ship will drain workers, but then it seems to free some up about two thirds of the way through, and then starts demanding farmers? It's just very unclear.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, not sure. Could be something I'm not seeing, or just something vaguely buggy.

Like, today I started a new session, and I had something like 10 fires in the first hour of game. The kicker was the fires started on the same house every single time. There was nothing on my island but farmers residences and a firehouse in the area, and every time I look away this drat house is on fire again. Maybe with the base game and everything they've added in expansions, the game is just trying to spin too many plates under the surface and throwing out weird bugs.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Oh thank god, they removed the silo explosions in the latest patch.

Those things were quickly becoming too dangerous to bother with.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Oxyclean posted:

Having not played 1404 (or anything before it) what sets it apart from 1800? (Besides 1800 having the old/new world session mechanic)

Anno 1404 is a chill-out game with charm to spare. Way less plate spinning than 1800, but enough to keep you interested, and the charm levels are off the charts. It's so off the charts that I'm pretty sure 1404 can cure depression. Everyone is just so cheery and happy, and even the villain is so goofily, cartoonishly evil that you can't help but like him.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
"Compete"? Anno doesn't get down in the gutter with that Tropico filth.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Alkydere posted:

Oh my, Engineers can be skyscrapered too?

Welcome to Triangle Shirtwaist Island.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
This latest update with the High Life seems super buggy for me. Several crashes so far, and all sorts of quest and proximity triggers aren't firing. I started a new session, and can barely progress since Fuckface McGee wants 4 Schnapps, but won't trigger that I have it even with more than 4 in storage. Anne Harlowe doesn't even show up on the diplomacy screen either.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

This latest update with the High Life seems super buggy for me. Several crashes so far, and all sorts of quest and proximity triggers aren't firing. I started a new session, and can barely progress since Fuckface McGee wants 4 Schnapps, but won't trigger that I have it even with more than 4 in storage. Anne Harlowe doesn't even show up on the diplomacy screen either.

If anyone is experiencing the same thing I was here, turning off the "Reveal Map" option when starting a new session seems to have fixed the issue.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

WhiteHowler posted:

I found a new fun bug with Anno 1800.

I've been playing through Far Cry 5, and whenever I play that game and then launch Anno, none of the in-game text shows up anywhere. Not on the menu UI, not on the pop-ups, nothing. If I reboot, it works normally. I can run half a dozen other games before Anno and everything's fine. It's just Far Cry 5.

Kind of funny since they're both Ubisoft products.

This is due to the buggy patch behaviour right now. If you received a small 480mb patch, that actually downgraded Anno to version 11, and causes this text issue. If you restart UBI Connect, it should download a new 2gb patch, which brings you back up to version 12. Then you should turn off auto updates to keep yourself at version 12. If you don't, the next time UBI Connect starts you'll get the 480mb downgrade patch and begin the cycle again.

This is also likely caused by the free weekend that UBI is running this weekend for Anno and other games, and should hopefully clear up after the 6th or 8th or whenever this freebie period is over. There are a lot of games having issues this weekend, and it all seems tied to whatever they did on the back end to enable it all.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

victrix posted:

what's this anarchist character about?

He's like any other AI, but he has more unique flavor texts and quests, and will eventually have some quest chains that can go places.

Honestly, he's fun to include the first few times, but he can become a pain in the butt after a while.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Quantum Shart posted:

jesus gently caress uplay reverted the client AGAIN, time to try and force another pointless update, seriously gently caress this platform

Once you're fully updated, turn of auto updates in the client.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I'm a pretty thrifty shopper when it comes to games, almost always waiting for deep discounts. Anno 1800 is one of the few games ever where I would whole-heartedly recommend buying it and every piece of DLC even at full price. If it's on sale, so much the better. Buy it all, drown in city building and plate-spinning, and revel in the charm that is Anno.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

resting bort face posted:

I'm having trouble clicking on Resident Quests. I mean, I can click on them but nothing happens most of the time. I can trick my cursor into turning into a magnifying glass by zooming in and out, but only for a second, and even that doesn't usually make the resident clickable.

That's just one of the bugs that's occurring since the High Life update. The devs are looking into it, and several others, for their next patch.

You can usually fix a stubborn one by saving, exiting the game, then go back in and reload your save. Should be clickable at that point.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Gadzuko posted:

You don't have to do all that, just trigger another voice line. I just click on a house and then go back to the resident and it works fine every time

This only works sometimes. The way quests trigger is somewhat bugged now, so sometimes just futzing around in-game will fix it, others it needs a full restart.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

resting bort face posted:

One more question. Are the maps randomly generated?

Individual islands and map features are handmade and placed into a pool, but the map seed determines which islands are picked and where they are placed.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Anno 2160. You load it up, and it asks you to start by placing some farming shacks and a market square.

Then a message pops up and says "This is the real future. We've gone backwards. Make sure your populace gets enough raccoon steaks and reclaimed Mountain Dew from the underground dewposits"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Building a new PC, and splurged on an LG C1 48" for a new monitor. Phone pic doesn't do it justice, but Anno is loving amazing with this much real estate.