Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is it just a wrong impression, or did mapping for Beat Saber slow down? Is there a new game everyone's migrated to?

Its not seemingly slowed down in the higher end e+ space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkenmonkeystyle
Jan 16, 2020

Gonk!!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is it just a wrong impression, or did mapping for Beat Saber slow down? Is there a new game everyone's migrated to?

I have been using Beat Saber as a warm up and doing boxVR with some other weight training. But I haven't noticed anything really big come out that competes with Beat Saber.

Apparently Synth Riders has a big announcement coming, considering it now has multiplayer.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Woo-hoo, finished full comboing OST V1 expert today. Baeleric Pumping was the last. Those left hand 16ths are still really tough and I feel like I was more or less waggling my wrist and praying. Only a few songs away from the FC 15 expert songs achievement!

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
It's been a while since I've checked out the modding scene. I'm still not good enough to pass every level of the OSTs on expert+ but I can do most. As such I typically prefer fun, dancy maps. Bennydabeast was my favorite mapper for a while, are there any new mappers like him I should be aware of?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Skyarb posted:

It's been a while since I've checked out the modding scene. I'm still not good enough to pass every level of the OSTs on expert+ but I can do most. As such I typically prefer fun, dancy maps. Bennydabeast was my favorite mapper for a while, are there any new mappers like him I should be aware of?

Ryger has been really killing it lately with good flow no-pp-grind stuff along with Trolov.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

drunkenmonkeystyle posted:

Have you guys been watching what modders have been doing in the wall art tag recently? Some really trippy stuff happening in there.

Bad Apple has a version that's probably the most insane wall show yet. Clocks in > 100k wall objects?
https://bsaber.com/songs/b6cb/

I recorded a runthrough on no-fail because it's almost unreadable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGjtFHUlSFc

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

CrazyLittle posted:

Bad Apple has a version that's probably the most insane wall show yet. Clocks in > 100k wall objects?

https://bsaber.com/songs/affd/

Way crazier

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Oh yeah, the "TV intro" wall map. Completely unreadable

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

CrazyLittle posted:

Oh yeah, the "TV intro" wall map. Completely unreadable

I mean, yeah some notes are like, guesses, but they make sense and its playable.

WELCOME TO THE WALL META BABY

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

CrazyLittle posted:

Goddamn, the last time I looked at modding for this game people were barely getting walls to look cool. It's progressed a ton

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
I had to immediately turn off the advanced maps right after turning them on because I realized that's all anyone uses them for. Nothing actually interesting to someone who just wants to play fun maps. Just Quest-lagging wall-'shows'.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Finally beat Grind & Hustle, pushed to within spitting distance of the end of Push Through, and got through at least the first section of Lost & Rendered.

Was a good day today. Feels so good when you can really feel the level up in your own perception coming through.

Skyarb posted:

Man I'm impressed, I've been doing E+ custom maps for a long time and I still struggle on many of the OST E+ maps, they're just so awkward.

Deeturbomber posted:

I had to immediately turn off the advanced maps right after turning them on because I realized that's all anyone uses them for. Nothing actually interesting to someone who just wants to play fun maps. Just Quest-lagging wall-'shows'.
There's a Weezer six lane map, Perfect Situation, that's good for exercising. Stretch those arms!

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Cicero posted:

Was a good day today. Feels so good when you can really feel the level up in your own perception coming through.

Man I'm impressed, I've been doing E+ custom maps for a long time and I still struggle on many of the OST E+ maps, they're just so awkward.

Yeah that's the real reward, in beating something that's been stretching the limits of your skills. Here's one map rated "hard" that's worth 160 ranked points, and yet I'd say it's easily as difficult as most of the OST Ex+ maps. https://bsaber.com/songs/450b/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wS19gtMtvY

Of course Ex+ is arbitrary as hell though because the map maker gets to pick the label.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Old thread but Beatsabe MP update is now out.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Skyarb posted:

Old thread but Beatsabe MP update is now out.

tried this out last night and you can't have each person on their own difficulty/modifiers. rock band had this figured out 15 years ago

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What? poo poo. I was planning to get a quest 2 and keep my old CV1 hooked up for MP but that kind of sucks if you are introducing newbies to it who pretty much need to be on easy

Now that I’m thinking about it is there even crossplay between pc and quest2?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What? poo poo. I was planning to get a quest 2 and keep my old CV1 hooked up for MP but that kind of sucks if you are introducing newbies to it who pretty much need to be on easy

Now that I’m thinking about it is there even crossplay between pc and quest2?

No

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Oh just realized they removed the player stats screen back in the big interface update. What the hell are they doing over there?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

No idea. The game feels abandoned. Especially for how well it sold and its facebook acquisition we should be seeing new content like every week.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Huh everyone is going to be trapped inside their houses for a year, jonesing for a fun way to exercise, I know let’s release exactly 3 song packs

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Skyarb posted:

No idea. The game feels abandoned. Especially for how well it sold and its facebook acquisition we should be seeing new content like every week.

:ohdear: Don't tell me this. I just bought a VR headset specifically for this game. Surely there's still lots of community content being made/a historical library of?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

DelphiAegis posted:

:ohdear: Don't tell me this. I just bought a VR headset specifically for this game. Surely there's still lots of community content being made/a historical library of?

yes.

official patches are a detriment, not a selling point of this game imo. it being actually abandoned would be good, since they manage to somehow break mods every other patch and you have to wait for updates

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

DelphiAegis posted:

Beat sabers community content is amazing and vast, you'll be fine.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Truga posted:

yes.

official patches are a detriment, not a selling point of this game imo. it being actually abandoned would be good, since they manage to somehow break mods every other patch and you have to wait for updates

There was a string of updates last year that just got me to stop playing because I'd finally get around to updating and adding mods again and they would go and update again.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The nice thing about the quest version is that Modding it disables updates.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The nice thing about the quest version is that Modding it disables updates.

Is there a way to stop it bugging me from updating every time I launch though?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
So my VR set finally arrived and after about 20 minutes of fiddling, SteamVR booted up and beat saber in multiple 30-40 minute sessions later:

1: Jesus gently caress they weren't kidding about the aerobic workout. I'm slightly out of shape due to cold weather preventing me from cycling, but holy cow. The goggles fogging up has stopped me playing, basically.
2: There is SUCH a difference in songs it came with vs songs made by the community. I played through some of the "campaign" and through many of the default available songs on Solo mode, but none of them "grabbed" me like playing Bohemian Rhapsody or Everlong or any of the crazy number of tracks made by the community.

While I know I have a long way to go before I ever reasonably see expert or expert+ on any track; are there any recommendations for songs to play? Many of the items on Beatsaver are Expert(+) only which is disappointing. Should I just play through the campaign mode for now?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Download all the playlists that are Songs With Fantastic Flow. A lot of those have easier settings.

Also note that difficulty levels are 100% subjective. One songs Hard is another's Expert+.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

DelphiAegis posted:

So my VR set finally arrived and after about 20 minutes of fiddling, SteamVR booted up and beat saber in multiple 30-40 minute sessions later:

1: Jesus gently caress they weren't kidding about the aerobic workout. I'm slightly out of shape due to cold weather preventing me from cycling, but holy cow. The goggles fogging up has stopped me playing, basically.
2: There is SUCH a difference in songs it came with vs songs made by the community. I played through some of the "campaign" and through many of the default available songs on Solo mode, but none of them "grabbed" me like playing Bohemian Rhapsody or Everlong or any of the crazy number of tracks made by the community.

While I know I have a long way to go before I ever reasonably see expert or expert+ on any track; are there any recommendations for songs to play? Many of the items on Beatsaver are Expert(+) only which is disappointing. Should I just play through the campaign mode for now?

old BTH maps are good. Speed em up a little when you get comfy but they kinda held up for new players. Theres like tons of them too.

Fog, Get a fan or some sort of air moving, it should fix that instantly.

Bandanna. Worth wearing one.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Chin Strap posted:

Download all the playlists that are Songs With Fantastic Flow. A lot of those have easier settings.

Also note that difficulty levels are 100% subjective. One songs Hard is another's Expert+.

What tools do people use to download playlists these days? The in-game downloader has been broken for them for ages.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Yeah, I was excited to use the in game browser and was sad it was missing.

I did find that if the Playlist offers a "one click download" via modassistant, clicking it doesn't work since it doesn't associate the .bplist file right. But copying the link, stripping out the initial part to get the raw http link, downloading the actual .bplist file then using the "install Playlist" tool in modassistant works fine.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

DelphiAegis posted:

I did find that if the Playlist offers a "one click download" via modassistant, clicking it doesn't work since it doesn't associate the .bplist file right. But copying the link, stripping out the initial part to get the raw http link, downloading the actual .bplist file then using the "install Playlist" tool in modassistant works fine.

a couple notes, some of the bsaber playlists have invisible download links, just mouse around the header image until your cursor changes. the install playlist button is in the options tab of modassistant, you may need to install the playlistloaderlite mod first

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
The in game browser exists on the mod menu on the left of the main screen if you have the basics installed. Its still there.

Using mod assist, install the browsermod for more options.

its all still there pcvr side.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

EbolaIvory posted:

The in game browser exists on the mod menu on the left of the main screen if you have the basics installed. Its still there.

Using mod assist, install the browsermod for more options.

its all still there pcvr side.

We're talking about playlists.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Ralith posted:

We're talking about playlists.

Yep

DelphiAegis posted:

Read that and ya.

With that said, Do you guys use modassistant? PlaylistLoaderLite is in the first section.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

EbolaIvory posted:

Yep

Read that and ya.

With that said, Do you guys use modassistant? PlaylistLoaderLite is in the first section.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Yes, that's installed and the Playlist themselves load in-game fine but there's no in-game song browser (i.e. Songs you hadn't downloaded yet) I could see/find.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I haven't been playing much, but I regularly check up on bsaber.com and it seems like the recommendations and general amount of maps per week/month slowed down a lot. Still plenty of anime type of poo poo, mainstream (or less mainstream but no KPop and such) music isn't touched as much anymore. DMCA galore or something like that happened?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i install custom songs by clicking the one click install button on bsaber/beat saver, the mod assistant has an option to register itself for bsaber links

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Combat Pretzel posted:

I haven't been playing much, but I regularly check up on bsaber.com and it seems like the recommendations and general amount of maps per week/month slowed down a lot. Still plenty of anime type of poo poo, mainstream (or less mainstream but no KPop and such) music isn't touched as much anymore. DMCA galore or something like that happened?

Twitch was getting hit by new DMCA bots that could flag streamers in near-realtime.

Also the song servers (beatsaver) went down multiple times for weeks-long outages between Thanksgiving and now. Whenever the servers were down mappers were unable to upload new songs. There's a lot more to it but blah blah drama.