Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.
I'm very bad at this games but I've lost like 5 lbs this week and am moving up from hard to expert on things. Also I was thrilled to find beat saver had caravan palace because I'm a god awful human being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
https://bsaber.com/songs/5174/

This is the track I used to finally understand rolls/streams. The intro starts slow and really builds some speed. I played it a few times a night until I could get to the end (which took a few more nights to complete).

I still struggle with longer rolls, but this is a great intro to them once you've hit except levels and want to advance.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

Cicero posted:

The scoring works like this: you get up to 70 points for your pre-slice arc (up to 90 degrees for max points), up to 30 points for your follow-through arc (up to 60 degrees for max points), and up to 10 points for how even your cut is; the ideal is slicing the cube into two equal chunks, so basically you want your slice to go through the center of the cube.

Hmm, after playing some more it looks like I have two issues:

1. I position the saber too close to the blocks when I prepare to swing. It will take some mental adjustment to hold the controller at a right angle in preparation for a swing.

2. I tend to use too much translation and not enough rotation. I noticed in one map especially (Lone Digger, Hard) I was holding the saber pretty much locked directly forward while making big sweeping movements with my arms. With the way scoring is set up it looks like I get almost no points for those kind of cuts.

It looks like I will have to put conscious effort to adjust those behaviors, but man, I play rhythm games to turn my brain off and let instinct guide me. I swear I play worse when I start thinking.

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??

BadMedic posted:

1. I position the saber too close to the blocks when I prepare to swing. It will take some mental adjustment to hold the controller at a right angle in preparation for a swing.

2. I tend to use too much translation and not enough rotation. I noticed in one map especially (Lone Digger, Hard) I was holding the saber pretty much locked directly forward while making big sweeping movements with my arms. With the way scoring is set up it looks like I get almost no points for those kind of cuts.

It looks like I will have to put conscious effort to adjust those behaviors, but man, I play rhythm games to turn my brain off and let instinct guide me. I swear I play worse when I start thinking.

I've found that getting your wrist into your swing helps. Like flicking your wrist up and swinging your arm down through the elbow and then also flicking your wrist down for a down swing. Maybe that's a bit too exaggerated but it seems to be kind of consistent. Swinging big is definitely harder to get right when you're trying to not fail a song though so it just takes some practice.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

I'm finally enjoying Expert but I don't think I'll ever move to Expert+. I'm sure with practice I could handle the speed and the more difficult box combinations, but it just doesn't give me enough time to see the boxes coming. I really like being able to look a few boxes ahead and get into that zen groove zone where your body just flows. :feelsgood:

Also, that Rasputin song had me hopping around like an idiot. I love it :)

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I've noticed a pretty huge disparity in Expert+ maps, some are a moderate increase in difficulty from Expert that makes sense to me, others are just like an incomprehensible wall of notes, or rather, have sections like that where I die more or less instantly.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Cicero posted:

I've noticed a pretty huge disparity in Expert+ maps, some are a moderate increase in difficulty from Expert that makes sense to me, others are just like an incomprehensible wall of notes, or rather, have sections like that where I die more or less instantly.

This is due to the issue of not having anything beyond E+ at this time ( I feel like E++ is a thing code wise? Idk i swear there was some discussion about it on one of the discords). It sucks because people who just are not ready for serious maps go download some song they think is gonna be awesome and it only has E+ and its a 900 note 2 and a half min stream map.

Fine for some of us, But I know that poo poo sucks when you're still learning/getting better.

With that said. Official OST E+ , like the knower song for example, Is pretty close to a decently hard E+ community map. Its def not a cakewalk for newer players.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 13, 2019

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

BadMedic posted:

Just pretend you're a prequel Jedi and it'll work itself out.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Well I finally downloaded Beat Saber and I’m gonna shock you with this information: it’s good

This will be the ultimate Quest seller and Oculus is lucky it exists

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

EbolaIvory posted:

This is due to the issue of not having anything beyond E+ at this time ( I feel like E++ is a thing code wise? Idk i swear there was some discussion about it on one of the discords). It sucks because people who just are not ready for serious maps go download some song they think is gonna be awesome and it only has E+ and its a 900 note 2 and a half min stream map.

Fine for some of us, But I know that poo poo sucks when you're still learning/getting better.

With that said. Official OST E+ , like the knower song for example, Is pretty close to a decently hard E+ community map. Its def not a cakewalk for newer players.

Devil's advocate, stream maps are boring no matter how good you are at looking silly in a video game. Twiststep, Superoverpowered and Solfeggietto are more fun while making you swear a lot imo and I hope get more traction as template beat maps.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Disgusting Coward posted:

ur mom beat my saber

Something awful forums > Games > VR rhythm games: ur mom beat my saber

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

FAN OF NICKELBACK posted:

Devil's advocate, stream maps are boring no matter how good you are at looking silly in a video game. Twiststep, Superoverpowered and Solfeggietto are more fun while making you swear a lot imo and I hope get more traction as template beat maps.

Depends on the map/stream but yeah. Lots of stream maps are super boring.

With that said Blackblazon does a good job (most of the time) picking maps that go well with streams so its not boring.

Ruckus Deadly Nostalgia is freaking amazeballs too btw.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

EbolaIvory posted:

Depends on the map/stream but yeah. Lots of stream maps are super boring.

With that said Blackblazon does a good job (most of the time) picking maps that go well with streams so its not boring.

Ruckus Deadly Nostalgia is freaking amazeballs too btw.

The least enjoyable parts of rainbow road were the streams. I probably hold unpopular opinions, but what are you gonna do. I like fun.

Also I can't disagree with Deadly Nostalgia. Man there are a ton of really great maps once you're OK with flopping around in a buncha directions.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

FAN OF NICKELBACK posted:

The least enjoyable parts of rainbow road were the streams. I probably hold unpopular opinions, but what are you gonna do. I like fun.

Also I can't disagree with Deadly Nostalgia. Man there are a ton of really great maps once you're OK with flopping around in a buncha directions.

Nah fair. I actually get not liking streams. I dig em but yeah I get it.

If you like weird wild poo poo, check out realms, and thank you for crashing me. Both dankruptmemer maps. Realms is amazing bomb work, and thank you is mapped super interestingly and might be right up your alley if you like weird poo poo.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

EbolaIvory posted:

Nah fair. I actually get not liking streams. I dig em but yeah I get it.

If you like weird wild poo poo, check out realms, and thank you for crashing me. Both dankruptmemer maps. Realms is amazing bomb work, and thank you is mapped super interestingly and might be right up your alley if you like weird poo poo.

Good call, he's a great mapper and I hope he keeps doing things. His name is better than mine or most people's and I get unreasonably jealous.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

So loving excited, and also, relieved (my arms were getting really tired!):

First time doing this for me!

Aside from that, a bit of OP business. I just added a "Resources" section at the bottom with links to some places. I'd also like to include a little section of links to cool/interesting beat saber videos. So if you have a favorite video or two that's notable for some reason, or a video of yourself being a complete badass on some map, :justpost: so that I may add them to the OP.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Gimmick Green suit the other week. Gonna probably do it again tonight for hecks. But it really is neat watching sabers non avatar moving around. Gives you a really good idea whats actually happening in some maps.

https://clips.twitch.tv/SneakyDependableFalconCoolStoryBob

This jump meta tho. Oof

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?
I passed my first expert map today. I only managed to eek out a C even after plenty of attempts past the first success. Still, I'm hyped that I'm starting to get a little better at it.

Here, watch Goku swing laser swords.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/364227899

31 minutes in, I start practicing Megalovania. At 1 hour 9 minutes in, I pass the level for the first time at 100% speed without failing. I keep trying to get better than a C, but I'm really just getting too tired of flailing about to improve it any tonight. I'm not really set up for streaming. I'm not sure my hardware handles it so great. I occasionally have to restart Beat saber because my headset starts to get a little jittery, like the FPS is hitching. I don't usually have problems when OBS etc isn't running.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Warrior Princess posted:

I passed my first expert map today. I only managed to eek out a C even after plenty of attempts past the first success. Still, I'm hyped that I'm starting to get a little better at it.

Here, watch Goku swing laser swords.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/364227899

31 minutes in, I start practicing Megalovania. At 1 hour 9 minutes in, I pass the level for the first time at 100% speed without failing. I keep trying to get better than a C, but I'm really just getting too tired of flailing about to improve it any tonight. I'm not really set up for streaming. I'm not sure my hardware handles it so great. I occasionally have to restart Beat saber because my headset starts to get a little jittery, like the FPS is hitching. I don't usually have problems when OBS etc isn't running.

Some mod has some crazy memory leak. I have to restart mine a couple times a night and its not hardware issues thats for sure. Seemed better tonight after updating my base stuff. Less resets I mean, Still does it.

Also make sure beat saber is your focus window. Beat saber throws hecka fits when its not.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

EbolaIvory posted:

Some mod has some crazy memory leak. I have to restart mine a couple times a night and its not hardware issues thats for sure. Seemed better tonight after updating my base stuff. Less resets I mean, Still does it.

Also make sure beat saber is your focus window. Beat saber throws hecka fits when its not.

Ah, thanks. I had beat saber window minimized on my desktop. I'll leave it up and focused next time.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Man I just am hitting such a wall with expert+. I feel like I am making no progress. I am slowing the songs down, putting on no fail but every time its just a wall of notes faster than my pea brain can comprehend!

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Expert+ maps cover a wide difficulty. I'm just getting to get some myself.

Maybe try:
Midnight City
Otter Pop
Subtract - Restart
Under The Sea
Party Rock Anthem
Close to Me (I think this is one of the best songs to practice streams/rolls on)

Or check out my play history, as my finishes are mostly the easier ones.
https://scoresaber.com/u/76561198010230321&sort=2

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

Skyarb posted:

Man I just am hitting such a wall with expert+. I feel like I am making no progress. I am slowing the songs down, putting on no fail but every time its just a wall of notes faster than my pea brain can comprehend!

Literally, E+ just means "the person who mapped it felt that it was harder than the average OST expert map."

Get all of Bennydabeast's maps, then get all of Hexagonial's. Play a few from each. You'll quickly see what e+ means (and doesn't mean).

But really, get the playlists listed here. Boom 500 songs in order of difficulty.

Download all the songs from each playlist while in-game, sort by difficulty, and then start at the bottom. If a map sucks, quit and move on to the next.

You'll find plenty you enjoy, I'd imagine.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Maybe the problem is I am only trying the native OST maps. I bothered with modding some time ago but found the community made maps really lacked... I dunno quality? They didn't feel fun or as flowy as the OST.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

/\/\/\ Were you looking at the up/downvotes for each? At first I blindly downloaded a lot of maps based on search terms without looking at those ratings, and yeah there were some stinkers. Now that I'm mostly looking at reputable mappers and checking ratings, the maps are very good.

Is there a mod that lets you toggle showing grades/scores? My wife doesn't like seeing them, makes her feel self-conscious/pressured.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Should I be using beat saver, beast saber, or bsaber for custom songs? Its all a bit confusing.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Skyarb posted:

Should I be using beat saver, beast saber, or bsaber for custom songs? Its all a bit confusing.

Its all the same IDs and the content is stored at beatsaver.com, which is what the in-game downloader uses.
beatsaber and bsaber are the same site, just different urls. I prefer bsaber as its much, much nicer.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

rage-saq posted:

Its all the same IDs and the content is stored at beatsaver.com, which is what the in-game downloader uses.
beatsaber and bsaber are the same site, just different urls. I prefer bsaber as its much, much nicer.

To add to this, you can use this bsaber link: https://bsaber.com/installing-the-mod-guide-necessary-for-any-custom-songs/

If you follow the step by step you can just bookmark w/e song/playlist/mapper catches your eye directly on the site, it'll auto-download the songs each time you start up the game.

When you find a mapper you like (and bookmark), every time they put up a new song you'll see it on your next game start up with no effort on your part.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

OK I will gladly admit I am wrong. Bennydabeast makes simply divine tracks. Rocket is pretty good too but not quite at Benny's level. Rustic is in a similar vein, good but Benny is just a blast to play.

Also there was a madeon song that only had a hard difficulty but it was actually a really great map but the author didn't seem to make anything else.

But drat those BennyDaBeast tracks were soooooo good.

What mappers do you guys recommend? Anyone else super into Benny's maps? Jesus I just played for three hours straight.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Check out Ruckus, loving his maps!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD6f7Pi7Hzw

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 16, 2019

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Followed! Will check him out when my arms stop being noodles. Also the sync saber + beastsaver compatibility is really awesome!

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

Skyarb posted:

OK I will gladly admit I am wrong. Bennydabeast makes simply divine tracks. Rocket is pretty good too but not quite at Benny's level. Rustic is in a similar vein, good but Benny is just a blast to play.

Also there was a madeon song that only had a hard difficulty but it was actually a really great map but the author didn't seem to make anything else.

But drat those BennyDaBeast tracks were soooooo good.

What mappers do you guys recommend? Anyone else super into Benny's maps? Jesus I just played for three hours straight.

Ruckus, rustic, raynarch, freeek, Heisenburg and saut -- very differing levels of difficulty, even within their own maps. They're all fun, and several were hired by the dev team to do the official e+ maps.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Thanks for the shout out!

Check out fafurion too for dancy stuff.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

EbolaIvory posted:

Check out fafurion too for dancy stuff.

Are you Ruckus or QTpop?
Either way, nice, big fan.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

EbolaIvory posted:

Oh, that Youtuber is you? Do you have a particular video you like or are proud of that I could add to the OP?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Cicero posted:

Oh, that Youtuber is you? Do you have a particular video you like or are proud of that I could add to the OP?

Nothing really specific, more than welcome to use anything that’ll fit. There’s tons of clips and stuff on twitch as well. :)

I’ll try and pull some clips from last night messing with pentatoggle. God I’m so addicted.

Basically it’s a mode in an addon called chromatoggle. Each saber is 2 colors and you use trigger to swap. Yes it’s as insane as it sounds. You’re playing 5 color beat saber. 👀

Gerdalti posted:

Are you Ruckus or QTpop?
Either way, nice, big fan.

Thanks!

QTpop.
:)

Ruckus is a rad dude tho. One of my fav mappers for sure.

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??
I've been enjoying the maps from StyngMe. His Expert+ maps are really fun and not overly difficult except for Feel Good which I'm having trouble clearing but I'll get it eventually!

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I'm fairly tall and I feel like I have to shrug down to comfortably hit things. I've tried to force myself not to do that and it seems to work out but if I'm not concentrating on it I partially duck. Is that how it's supposed to work and I just need to get used to not slumping or is there a way to move the floor "up"? I've done room setup a few different times but that hasn't changed anything.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Mulloy posted:

I'm fairly tall and I feel like I have to shrug down to comfortably hit things. I've tried to force myself not to do that and it seems to work out but if I'm not concentrating on it I partially duck. Is that how it's supposed to work and I just need to get used to not slumping or is there a way to move the floor "up"? I've done room setup a few different times but that hasn't changed anything.

Check the game settings, not the options but the settings where you turn things like no-fail on, and you can change the player height. Some custom songs are just made stupid and deliberately have the notes too high to block vision or too low for some reason, but generally changing your height a bit will work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

Hellsau posted:

Check the game settings, not the options but the settings where you turn things like no-fail on, and you can change the player height. Some custom songs are just made stupid and deliberately have the notes too high to block vision or too low for some reason, but generally changing your height a bit will work.

Awesome. I did not know those settings existed. Thanks!