Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Welp, I just hit a wall, and I'm not sure how to improve.
I'm trying to play the song Access mapped by Fafurion on Expert, and I can't do the sequence starting at 1:40 at full speed. Using the practice plugin the fastest I can do the segment is at 85%, and faster my brain just short-circuits and my arms turn to noodles. I really trip up on the notes at 1:43.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
I had trouble with these runs myself for a long time, I'm much better now. At the risk of an unsatisfying answer, it clicked for me after practicing and failing a bunch, then taking a break for a couple days, playing some friendlier tracks and coming back to it. A slightly more satisfying answer is that a JVR map really helped me to get better at these runs: https://bsaber.com/songs/8713/. It does this five time throughout the song, at a fairly manageable speed. I found once I got good at this song I was able to take on other stuff with similar layouts. Also, Great Yazer maps finally trained me to figure out the alternating red-blue-red-blue sequences where you have to cross your hands over each other, I really hated that for a while but now it's fun. The main thing I struggle with is bpm that is above how fast my arms can actually move (also as bpm increases your accuracy has to increase).

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

Pillbug
Thanks for the recommendation, I found the streams in that song pretty easy to read.

It turns out though that all I really needed to do was complain about it on the internet, I beat the song on the first attempt today. I swear that complaining on the internet magically fixes all my video game problems.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Complaining on the internet is both a solution and an end unto itself. :justpost:

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
There is actually a study floating out there that we see the benefits of practice after sleeping. I have always found I play best the day after I practice a lot.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Skyarb posted:

There is actually a study floating out there that we see the benefits of practice after sleeping. I have always found I play best the day after I practice a lot.

I took a week off. came back. Crushed some pp maps I couldn’t even slightly handle before. The rest and suddenly be better poo poo is real.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

also :420: is like training weights for beatsaber in my experience. Get good at a song all potted up on reefer then once you're sober you'll blow your best score away every time.

Don't do it with alcohol though. Nothing has made me more acutely aware of how impairing alcohol is than beat saber.

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 13, 2019

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Previa_fun posted:

Don't do it with alcohol though. Nothing has made me more acutely aware of how impairing alcohol is than beat saber.

Yeah, I stumbled home late one Saturday night, absolutely trashed, with some friends in tow who wanted to play. After watching them fumble around on Easy for a while I started up one of my favorite songs on Expert, declared “now this is what Beat Saber is supposed to look like”, then punched myself in the face while hitting the home button on my Vive.

Incidentally, is it possible to disable the Vive home button? I hit it about once or twice an hour and it’s really obnoxious. The best suggestion I found was changing to a different grip style but nothing I’ve tried has felt natural.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

blastron posted:

Yeah, I stumbled home late one Saturday night, absolutely trashed, with some friends in tow who wanted to play. After watching them fumble around on Easy for a while I started up one of my favorite songs on Expert, declared “now this is what Beat Saber is supposed to look like”, then punched myself in the face while hitting the home button on my Vive.

Incidentally, is it possible to disable the Vive home button? I hit it about once or twice an hour and it’s really obnoxious. The best suggestion I found was changing to a different grip style but nothing I’ve tried has felt natural.

Basically find a new grip. I do a modified standard and Claw, i never hit the button now.

My version of Modified Standard. This is my typical grip for 95% of the time. I keep my middle finger near the trigger since I play penta with multiple colors, but when its 2 color its a good pivot point for things.

How I run claw.

Both work well for me. Claw is def harder on the wrists but its "nice" for learning harder streams.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

EbolaIvory posted:

Basically find a new grip. I do a modified standard and Claw, i never hit the button now.

My version of Modified Standard. This is my typical grip for 95% of the time. I keep my middle finger near the trigger since I play penta with multiple colors, but when its 2 color its a good pivot point for things.

How I run claw.

Both work well for me. Claw is def harder on the wrists but its "nice" for learning harder streams.

why is your entire room painted green

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

blastron posted:

almost certainly to chroma key it out for streaming

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

blastron posted:

He tried painting it red, but he's colorblind.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

blastron posted:

I'm a nerd who does this for a living

https://clips.twitch.tv/LitigiousReliableGrouseTriHard

I got tired of dealing with screens and floor tile foam mat things. When it became "work" we did it for real with paint.

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

almost certainly to chroma key it out for streaming

Yep! Super mucho easier when its all the same exact color. Also makes lighting it easier. My chroma game is strong.

https://clips.twitch.tv/RefinedColdbloodedCourgetteCclamChamp

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's just so goddamn dumb :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wmC-744r_Y

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
Game continues to amaze me. I took a week off due to starting a new strength training routine and not wanting to overdo it. Arms were feeling better so I came back and thought I'd be rusty- in fact, the opposite. I full combo'd several songs in a row and set personal highscores on everything I played. I don't think I've ever played a game before with such a smooth curve to mastery and feeling of constant improvement. GOTY.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Chewbot posted:

Game continues to amaze me. I took a week off due to starting a new strength training routine and not wanting to overdo it. Arms were feeling better so I came back and thought I'd be rusty- in fact, the opposite. I full combo'd several songs in a row and set personal highscores on everything I played. I don't think I've ever played a game before with such a smooth curve to mastery and feeling of constant improvement. GOTY.

Seriously, it’s been a year and I’m still constantly improving from being able to continually find new material that is really challenging and good.
Like I did this a few days ago and I was like “goddamn I can’t believe I did that” and already going back to it is kind of too easy and I’m finding new stuff that’s more challenging and also really good with even cooler spin patterns.
https://youtu.be/cdO_YRsEuPM

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

rage-saq posted:

Seriously, it’s been a year and I’m still constantly improving from being able to continually find new material that is really challenging and good.
Like I did this a few days ago and I was like “goddamn I can’t believe I did that” and already going back to it is kind of too easy and I’m finding new stuff that’s more challenging and also really good with even cooler spin patterns.
https://youtu.be/cdO_YRsEuPM

Oh man, you're one of those darth maul saber guys! That's crazy, good job.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Chewbot posted:

Oh man, you're one of those darth maul saber guys! That's crazy, good job.

To be fair, he's like THE Darth Maul saber guy.

Finally moved into my new place this week. Should have my VR room setup tomorrow, super excited, haven't played since before the update. What mod loader did we land on?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Gerdalti posted:

To be fair, he's like THE Darth Maul saber guy.

Finally moved into my new place this week. Should have my VR room setup tomorrow, super excited, haven't played since before the update. What mod loader did we land on?

<3
Over 400 hours mauling and still going strong, it’s totally the best way to play, it feels so much better then controllers.
Mod loader situation is resolved, 13.2 is stable but you might need to move out your customsongs/custometc folders and clean install
https://github.com/beat-saber-modding-group/BeatSaberModInstaller/releases/latest

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Any new modders on the scene I should check out. I still like Benny the best, by a huge mile but him and Fafurion seem to have been absent (probably working on official DLC) so I am a bit in groove desert.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Skyarb posted:

Any new modders on the scene I should check out. I still like Benny the best, by a huge mile but him and Fafurion seem to have been absent (probably working on official DLC) so I am a bit in groove desert.

Faf is not a official mapper. Hes silent because hes kinda doing RL things and MIA from the map scene. Theres some collabs behind the scenes (him and benny started one for example), But yeah. I do know theres some stuff planned.

If a new faf map is in the works, Itll be in my channel getting play tested. :D

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I tried to install a new mod thingy and it wanted me to disable my security software. Beat Saber has pwned me with the uber l337 hax and the pr0n.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Gonna be play testing a new faf map tonight. Booty Bounce.... WOOOOOOOO

Weird. Someone brings him up, I have a map to test. So weird.
Faf are you here >_>

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Been playing with a buddies new mod. Wobble Mod.

https://clips.twitch.tv/ChillyAbrasiveSharkPeoplesChamp

Super good times.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

That looks like it'd make me barf

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Previa_fun posted:

That looks like it'd make me barf

It totally will if you don't have the sea legs for it.

With that said. its fun as hell.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

Pillbug
It looks like Beat Saber is a better workout than I thought. I just started going to the gym, and somehow my bench press is better than my squat. Thanks beat saber!

Also I finally broke into expert+ maps! I was able to beat Escape on expert+ :feelsgood:

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Finally got my VR up and running again and I've been working through the expert version of the custom campaign.
Row 6 (b maybe) with the ghost notes is tough, but loving awesome. And I'm currently stuck at row 8, last attempt failed with like 20 seconds to go.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

BadMedic posted:

It looks like Beat Saber is a better workout than I thought. I just started going to the gym, and somehow my bench press is better than my squat. Thanks beat saber!

Also I finally broke into expert+ maps! I was able to beat Escape on expert+ :feelsgood:

Hah, sounds like you need to hit some of the squat focused tracks to build your legs up!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
This sounds interesting, re-using beat saber custom maps for a different game: https://bsaber.com/moonrider/

quote:

What exactly is your newest project / game Moon Rider?

Yeah, so Moon Rider is a free and open source VR music visualization and rhythm game that is playable completely from the web. The gameplay consists of surfing a musical road among stars, tunnels, and the northern lights. The game / site has a variety of modes such as Ride Mode and Punch Mode. The experience, like the Beatsaver Viewer, is powered by the public community Beatsaver data set that features something like 15,000 songs now? Really an amazing achievement!

You mentioned that it even works on the new Oculus Quest? That’s really exciting! How do you access it?

You can open Moon Rider in any browser (e.g., Firefox, Chrome) right now by heading over to the URL https://moonrider.xyz. Even on a smartphone! (Although iOS currently won’t play the song format until we can merge my code patch into Beatsaver).

If you have a VR headset, you can dive in the upcoming Oculus Quest via Oculus Browser. Or on a Rift or Vive via Supermedum or Firefox on your desktop. If you have a Daydream or Oculus Go, that also works for Ride Mode or Viewer Mode. It pretty much works anywhere without installing anything. The smoothest way with the best performance is to install our Supermedium browser through Steam or Oculus, and it’ll be featured there.
Also Quest is out woooooo!! Tried Beat Saber on it, it's good stuff. The simplified graphics didn't bother me, although the walls being totally opaque might be a problem on some maps. Speaking of maps, from a Reddit thread about the aforementioned moon rider game: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/bqyo6k/beat_saver_custom_maps_on_the_oculus_quest/eo8yfpz

quote:

Kind of a misleading title. The article is about playing BS’s custom maps... in an entirely different, browser-based game.

quote:

Sorry if it was misleading, we're also working on modding custom songs the Quest version of Beat Saber too, so I can keep you updated on our progress there!

quote:

Now that’s news I like to hear! Does it require the Quest to be jailbroken or hacked, or does it seem like it can be accomplished simply with sideloading?

quote:

It looks like we might be able to get it just through sideloading. I won't have a Quest to fully test it with until tomorrow though.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Tried Moonrider on my Quest. Impressive for a web VR game (didn't really know this was a thing), but ultimately it's bad because the tracking feels absolutely awful. It's very laggy, and unstable. Hitting things felt like a chore. Not sure if that's inherent to it being in a browser, though my hunch is yes.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Beat Saber on the Quest, on the other hand, is the real deal, assuming you can get good audio.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Is that dlc pack for the PC version available for the Quest version?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Republicans posted:

Is that dlc pack for the PC version available for the Quest version?

Yeah.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Mods seemed super broken for the 1.0 update. I'm sure it'll correct over the next day or two, just a heads up.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I heard that the DLC was going to be crossbuy, anyone tested that?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Cicero posted:

Tried Moonrider on my Quest. Impressive for a web VR game (didn't really know this was a thing), but ultimately it's bad because the tracking feels absolutely awful. It's very laggy, and unstable. Hitting things felt like a chore. Not sure if that's inherent to it being in a browser, though my hunch is yes.

The performance is not good enough, also I have a bug that when I load a track it moves it up 4 feet. So the first run is ok, then by the second track it's over my head.

Now that Quest is out I hope they put some performance work in because it could be great if it only had better performance.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Enos Cabell posted:

I heard that the DLC was going to be crossbuy, anyone tested that?

yes the DLC is crossbuy

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Are mods working again on the 1.0 version that just released?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Mods were fixed in less than 5 minutes. Get the new ModAssist and go to town.