Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

So I hadn't really played in over a year, can anyone point me at instructions on how to put in custom songs now with 1.0? Do you have to get 1.0 compatible songs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

rage-saq posted:

Mods were fixed in less than 5 minutes. Get the new ModAssist and go to town.

Ah, thats what I missed. I tried the old ModAssist, assuming it would download new mods.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Song Browser seems pretty broken as of last night though, and that's a big one.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
They updated the scoring system recently, I'm seeing over 110 on some swings for the first time.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

ShadowHawk posted:

They updated the scoring system recently, I'm seeing over 110 on some swings for the first time.

Because the new max is 115. :)

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

So due to lack of mods on Quest I finally got around to buying the song pack, and I gotta say it has some of my favorite tracks so far. Rattlesnake is such a blast to play.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Is there a way other than using the mod tool to see when sync saber is updated?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Was without my Oculus for a few months, happy to be finally playing Beatsaber again. I'm having a slight issue though, in some of the custom tracks when there's a drumroll section the audio starts to distort, anyone experience something like that? It's very rare so not that big of a deal, but still.

Despite being a simracer this is the actual VR killerapp for me. If the Quest version ever gets hacked to support mod tracks I'm just gonna sell this whole sensor and cable shebang and just get a Beatsaber machine.

Turbo Killer is my white whale.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

GhostDog posted:

Was without my Oculus for a few months, happy to be finally playing Beatsaber again. I'm having a slight issue though, in some of the custom tracks when there's a drumroll section the audio starts to distort, anyone experience something like that? It's very rare so not that big of a deal, but still.

Despite being a simracer this is the actual VR killerapp for me. If the Quest version ever gets hacked to support mod tracks I'm just gonna sell this whole sensor and cable shebang and just get a Beatsaber machine.

Turbo Killer is my white whale.

I had problems with audio on my Rift, as well as problems with the headset blacking out and not working until I unplug/replug/restart the software. I fixed it by plugging the headset into USB 2.0. No I don't know why that fixes it.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Got a Rift S, played an ACDC song on DK mountain with a pair of chainsaws. Mods are good!

I did find the one advantage to the PSVR version, the move controllers are basically tubes so they feel a lot more like a sword hilt than the Rift's controllers do. Shame about everything else about them lol.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What hand positioning are you guys using with touch controllers? I keep bumping the home button on the left controller and brining up steamvr which is jarring as hell and basically screws the next bar of the song

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What hand positioning are you guys using with touch controllers? I keep bumping the home button on the left controller and brining up steamvr which is jarring as hell and basically screws the next bar of the song

Hand position aside (as there are grips that render the button basically impossible to hit), you can address that problem for every game by changing VR Compositor to require a long press or double press of the menu button: https://amp.reddit.com/r/SteamVR/comments/920z4k/vive_controller_always_hit_the_steam_overlay/e35s0i0/

You can also run Beat Saber through the Oculus SDK by adding -vrmode oculus to its launch options in Steam, which bypasses SteamVR.

Between these and setting Oculus Home to require a long press, you should be good to go, regardless of hand position.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Is there an equivalent on Vive? I hit that button constantly and none of the other grips feel right to me.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

blastron posted:

Is there an equivalent on Vive? I hit that button constantly and none of the other grips feel right to me.

I don't have a Vive, but since the Steam input thingy is supposed to be universal, I'd assume you can do the same thing as linked, but on the Vive's equivalent button.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Apparently my audio issue on quick/fast blocks was a known issue and is fixed with 1.0.1.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
I finally can beat a couple Expert+ stages. Feels like it was a journey let me tell you.

Mod stages definitely helped span the gap. I feel like the base content minus the DLC is too large a gulf between Expert and Expert+. The DLC songs fill that gap somewhat but the larger variety of motions in the mod scene really helped me more than anything.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
There's a basic GUI now to install custom songs on the Quest, I just used it and it worked, nothing exploded: https://github.com/NyanBlade/BeatSaberQuestInstaller/releases/tag/release

It's still fairly cumbersome (and it reinstalls Beat Saber so you'll lose any high scores I think?), but not intimidating really anymore. You need Windows and a cable to connect your comp to the Quest.

DisposableHero posted:

I feel like the base content minus the DLC is too large a gulf between Expert and Expert+.
Yeah, the gap between the base E and E+ songs is like a loving chasm. I can beat lots of custom E+ songs, and very few of the base ones. Maybe it's just Benny spoiling me, but the base songs on E+ don't feel terribly well mapped in comparison.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Cicero posted:

There's a basic GUI now to install custom songs on the Quest, I just used it and it worked, nothing exploded: https://github.com/NyanBlade/BeatSaberQuestInstaller/releases/tag/release

It's still fairly cumbersome (and it reinstalls Beat Saber so you'll lose any high scores I think?), but not intimidating really anymore. You need Windows and a cable to connect your comp to the Quest.

Yeah, the gap between the base E and E+ songs is like a loving chasm. I can beat lots of custom E+ songs, and very few of the base ones. Maybe it's just Benny spoiling me, but the base songs on E+ don't feel terribly well mapped in comparison.

Because some of them are garbage. Overkill ost e+ is a total joke for example while most of the custom ones are good/decent.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Progress! I'm consistently able to do hard maps now, just over a week in. Expert is next :ohdear:

Also, I want to learn about map making if for no other reason than to learn how it works (I'm aware as a barely-passing-hard player my maps would be garbage). Is the inbuilt editor the go-to, or is it a 3rd party app still?

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

DisposableHero posted:

I finally can beat a couple Expert+ stages. Feels like it was a journey let me tell you.

Mod stages definitely helped span the gap. I feel like the base content minus the DLC is too large a gulf between Expert and Expert+. The DLC songs fill that gap somewhat but the larger variety of motions in the mod scene really helped me more than anything.

This is close to where I'm at. I've slowly managed to clear almost half of the base + DLC songs on Expert+, which I'm pretty happy about, but the rest of these all have at least one section (usually early on) that just hasn't clicked w/ me yet.

I've also managed to completely clear all the missions. I feel like a lot of those are missed opportunities to show new patterns instead of focusing on things which (as far as I can tell) have little relevance to the regular mode, like all the min/max distance moved requirements. Maybe that matters for getting a high score, I dunno, which is also something I feel like should be better explained in-game.

Has there been any word on the next set of DLC? I only have PSVR, which means I don't have the option of custom songs.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Mason Dixon posted:

This is close to where I'm at. I've slowly managed to clear almost half of the base + DLC songs on Expert+, which I'm pretty happy about, but the rest of these all have at least one section (usually early on) that just hasn't clicked w/ me yet.

I've also managed to completely clear all the missions. I feel like a lot of those are missed opportunities to show new patterns instead of focusing on things which (as far as I can tell) have little relevance to the regular mode, like all the min/max distance moved requirements. Maybe that matters for getting a high score, I dunno, which is also something I feel like should be better explained in-game.

Has there been any word on the next set of DLC? I only have PSVR, which means I don't have the option of custom songs.

Here ya go

https://twitter.com/BeatSaber/status/1133455527965536256

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Custom Beat Saber songs on the Quest update: kind of a pain to troubleshoot, but once I figured out where the installer was crashing, I managed to move ~200 custom songs from my PC installation to the Quest, and it is good. Every once in a while I have to restart Beat Saber because either the song preview will die and no more songs will load, or the whole program will just crash on the menu, but launching the game takes like ten seconds and I haven't had the client crash during a song so whatever. A+ start and pretty good work in less than two weeks since the Quest launch.

I really need Beat Saber Tweaks because the hit and miss sounds are SUPER LOUD so I'm just playing with them off which feels weird. Also I want Rainbow Lighting because that makes it a lot more visually interesting. Hopefully they'll get mods working - apparently Custom Sabers are out on the Quest, and there's compatible installers for the Quest now.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I really wish SyncSaber would update and work with the latest version.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/bwes82/sidequest_with_bsabercom_support_is_out/

quote:

The New SideQuest version with bsaber.com support

So happy to announce the new SideQuest is available for download from

https://github.com/the-expanse/SideQuest/releases

We have been working close with the usual crowd known for modding beat saber on desktop. Special shout out to u/elliotttate, trishume and emulamer for their work on the mods that made all of this possible.

For anyone who already has SideQuest installed - if you have any problems then unstall / delete sidequest and reinstall the latest.

If you have already modded beat saber on quest you will need to download a new fresh copy to use as a master backup file to patch from.

More Info: https://bsaber.com/oculus-quest-custom-songs/

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost

Skyarb posted:

I really wish SyncSaber would update and work with the latest version.

Hopefully it starts working again in-game. Right now you need to use this instead before starting a session:

https://github.com/Zingabopp/SyncSaberService

quote:

This is currently a standalone application you can run to automatically download maps like the original SyncSaber did.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Rolling Scissors posted:

Hopefully it starts working again in-game. Right now you need to use this instead before starting a session:

https://github.com/Zingabopp/SyncSaberService

This is rad but why the hell does it want your BeastSaber password?

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

This game is just so drat flawless.

I'm still stuck at mostly a and s ranking hard. Expert seems a tad too tough still, and expert+ is just ridiculously unfun looking.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Hizawk posted:

This game is just so drat flawless.

I'm still stuck at mostly a and s ranking hard. Expert seems a tad too tough still, and expert+ is just ridiculously unfun looking.

Eventually you’ll grow into E+ and tire of anything else :)

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Are any of the mod managers working with 1.0.1 yet?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
1.0.1 was such a minor update that it didn't break anything, everything that works on 1.0 works on 1.0.1.

Just re-install your mods and you're good to go.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

EbolaIvory posted:

Eventually you’ll grow into E+ and tire of anything else :)

Eh. I'm still loving Expert, still hating Expert+.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Eh. I'm still loving Expert, still hating Expert+.

I find that if there's a good song with a good map, it will have a good expert level, and the expert+ is 50/50 whether it's enjoyable or just a bunch of tapping nonsense. There's quite a few Bad Maps though where all the difficulty levels are just nonsense, and there's a bunch of Bad Songs where I would never want to listen to that song, but the mapping is good enough that either I don't regret playing it, or the map is so good that I'll want to play it more even with a bad song attached.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Hellsau posted:

I find that if there's a good song with a good map, it will have a good expert level, and the expert+ is 50/50 whether it's enjoyable or just a bunch of tapping nonsense. There's quite a few Bad Maps though where all the difficulty levels are just nonsense, and there's a bunch of Bad Songs where I would never want to listen to that song, but the mapping is good enough that either I don't regret playing it, or the map is so good that I'll want to play it more even with a bad song attached.

The opinion of e+ being tapping nonsense and bad changes when your skill level goes up.

Don’t have to believe me, but 1200 hours says otherwise. I used to be all “lol dumb”. Now I’m playing Quavar for shits.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

EbolaIvory posted:

The opinion of e+ being tapping nonsense and bad changes when your skill level goes up.

Don’t have to believe me, but 1200 hours says otherwise. I used to be all “lol dumb”. Now I’m playing Quavar for shits.

Have you thought about making a curated playlist of good mapped songs? I'd like it at least, and I bet others would too.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

EbolaIvory posted:

Streams are good once you have the timing down. I have no problem with some wild rear end streams. I have a problem when there's a bunch of down notes in a row for no reason except that's more tiresome than a stream, especially when it's a down note on the lower level, then a down note on the mid level, then a down note on the top level, like come the gently caress on map designer.

e: also did they change how energy depletes/recharges when they switched to 115 max points per slice from 110? Because I managed to finish Knower's "The Government Knows" and Perturbator's "Humans Are Such Easy Prey" recently, which were my previous benchmark "technically possible but I am not good enough yet" Expert+ songs, and it doesn't feel like I was hitting noticably more blocks than I used to.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 9, 2019

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Hellsau posted:

Streams are good once you have the timing down. I have no problem with some wild rear end streams. I have a problem when there's a bunch of down notes in a row for no reason except that's more tiresome than a stream, especially when it's a down note on the lower level, then a down note on the mid level, then a down note on the top level, like come the gently caress on map designer.

e: also did they change how energy depletes/recharges when they switched to 115 max points per slice from 110? Because I managed to finish Knower's "The Government Knows" and Perturbator's "Humans Are Such Easy Prey" recently, which were my previous benchmark "technically possible but I am not good enough yet" Expert+ songs, and it doesn't feel like I was hitting noticably more blocks than I used to.

Yeah so. I agree with double downs but tbh anything new probably isn’t suffering much from that. Only time I see obnoxiously bad mapping is new mapper or on purpose.

And no. You’re just better. That’s how the game works :)

Gerdalti posted:

Have you thought about making a curated playlist of good mapped songs? I'd like it at least, and I bet others would too.

Yes. It’s on my list of to dos. :)

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

EbolaIvory posted:

Eh.

The E+ speed of cuts is not fun for me. The low latency needed for sight->brain->physical motion is irritating to me to that extent because I like fluid motion, sight reading, and don’t memorize easily.

If I were paid to do it as a living and did it for that long, then I could invest in developing that and my sense of fun would also shift to accommodate that. But I’m not, I won’t, and it hasn’t, so E+ is still pointless and unfun to me, and I don’t care to (or have the time to) make Expert boring to me anyhow as I’m enjoying myself a lot at my current level.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Eh.

The E+ speed of cuts is not fun for me. The low latency needed for sight->brain->physical motion is irritating to me to that extent because I like fluid motion, sight reading, and don’t memorize easily.

If I were paid to do it as a living and did it for that long, then I could invest in developing that and my sense of fun would also shift to accommodate that. But I’m not, I won’t, and it hasn’t, so E+ is still pointless and unfun to me, and I don’t care to (or have the time to) make Expert boring to me anyhow as I’m enjoying myself a lot at my current level.

I think that's what makes for a bad E+ map for me. I don't want to memorize maps - I would much rather just play by sight, and any map that screws with that automatically goes substantially down in value to me. I play rhythm games by instinct, a habit I picked up from Guitar Hero, so my sight->brain->physical motion doesn't stop particularly long on the brain section. The maps where it's a bunch of double notes, but then sometimes it switches to what appears to be a double note but it's actually one left note and one slightly delayed right note is the worst, because if they're on opposite ends of the field it's real hard to tell they're not a double so I'll miss the late note.

Someone like Benny has really nice maps where they're hard, but if your eyes are fast enough you can play through a song without just dying from bizarre note placements.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
I don’t memorize on purpose. It’s memory reflex and general pattern recognition with sight reading.

Again I get it. You’re not at that skill level. I said the literal exact same thing. I now throw myself At ridiculous maps because everything else is just slow. As a player you’ll evolve. Some faster than others.

What I’m saying is they aren’t bad maps. You just don’t understand them yet. I felt the same way for a long time. Hell I still didn’t like them for a while even after I realized the maps were fair but just hard.

Take a look at cheesys walk this way. It’s fast. It’s also one of the higher pp maps and it feels impossible until you get used to the note jump speed. Hell I still fail out near the end sometimes. Even knowing some of the jumps are coming, fatigue is a bitch. It’s all player evolution.

Map in question
https://beatsaver.com/browse/detail/12484-13355

With that said.

https://beatsaver.com/browse/detail/9690-10090

Great fun rear end map. If you don’t dance well. Idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I play this game at work, probably like an hour a day or so, i'm probably at like 70 hours now, if i play a song that isn't on expert+ i'm stupid bored and when I started I couldn't do anything on hard. It's just a time thing.I also play mostly via reflex because gently caress memorising.