Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It genuinely feels like Lann goes from normal, and even snarky, to complete and utter dumbass depending on scene. But whenever he isn't being written like all those Mirages on his head are having a negative effect on his brain, he's genuinely enjoyable, with some impressive wordplays and puns ("stacking or slacking" was very good, and while long, the fact that his food stuff was meant as a joke in-universe gets some points from me). I can't say the same for Reynn, whose own brand of snark is doing little for me. At least Lann feels like he has a personality, even if it isn't particularly consistent, Reynn's straight girl behaviour just makes her come across as dull and pointless.

While I'm complaining about characterization, Tama's verbal tic is annoying as hell.

I've always been interested in this game but also...kind of unconvinced. I'll be following the LP and see where it leads, but at the very least, I enjoy the effort put into making some fun localization choices...but also, the-verbal tick, which is awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

While all three are cute, only one is a Black Mage. Zapt.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Every update just makes me more sure that the localizers were having the time of their life writing this. Not only in the monster descriptions, dialogues in general flow very well and are qutie funny and rather clever, especially from Lann (Reynn is a lot more boring but her personality seems to be designed not only to be boring, but also to ruin everyone's fun).

Wouldn't the Ramuh fine have been easier if you had Lann as a Jiant as well? You had that Copper Gnome so you could have two full stacks wtih that. Also, seeing how you were using Ramuh's Earth weakness, how much easier or more difficult would Shiva and Ifrit be?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Lann's personality keeps being weirdly inconsistent, now he's gone from suicidally reckless to insanely skilled at gauging his chances. I feel the writers weren't too sure of what they wanted with him. Also, while Reynn's dialogue had nothing to do with the situation, I love how Princess Sarah's vocals make it clear she's just too polite to tell her to get back on the topic of not dying due to a Goblin invasion. Great work by the VA there.

Also I really like how the Warrior of Light's entrance move is his EX Burst, Oversoul. A very strong entrance from our very first hero. The whole Medium and Champion thing went entirely over my head though, I don't think it was very well explained, but whatever. He's glowing and heroic and that's good enough. He sure does glow though, living up to that "of Light" name there. And there's something oddly hilarious about Princess Sarah pointing out he doesn't even have a name.

A suggestion for future updates: maybe do what you did with the Serafie scene here and link to the video timestamps whenever a scene in the video happens in the update. It actually helps a lot to have them at the right time instead of at the very end of the update. It makes me more willing to actually watch it, and the voice acting helps a lot, plus seeing fights is fun.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AweStriker posted:

The design doesn't look the same, but Dualizard appears to at least be the same color as Doublizard, an FFV monster.

The name also isn't the same, regardless of language. ダブルリザード (Dabururizādo, Double Lizard) versus デュオリザード (Dyuo Rizādo, Duo Lizard). This is likely a reference to it though, but it's not quite the same, unlike other monsters we've seen.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Just use Nameless or something like that, you get the same meaning without so many words or making up a name.

Also lol at Reynn's "she may be another person". Yeah sure, the person that happens to have the exact same name as your mother, wears the exact same ornament as your mother, and has magical powers like you do, may be an entirely different person. Sure. Though that plus the whole "our memories may be fake" just screams denial rather than idiocy.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Also Yuna was also the the white mage in FFX. Of course she knows Blink and Exit/Teleport!

But neither of those exist in FFX!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Psycho Knight posted:

You'll notice I said "other supposed protagonists". I wasn't calling Vann and Penelo the main characters or implying FFXII is about them. I'm just stating that they are two protagonists of the game, which they are. Tidus is similar. He's barely relevant to what's going on, but he is still a protagonist (despite how much I wish he wasn't).

These two examples aren't even remotely similar and if you genuinely believe what you said you completely missed the point of FFX. It is Tidus' story (as he often repeats). I thought you were kidding about that but...I guess not.

Vaan and Penelo were literally added to the game without being part of the story because someone in S-E thought people couldn't relate to Basch...and then Basch became the biggest meme of the game. Through Vaan's mouth, but still. Ironic.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Koorisch posted:

I'm pretty sure they would have made Ashe the main character if not for the call from above to add Vaan and Penelo.

I really wonder what the game would have been like if they had stayed with the whole Vagrant Story 2 idea instead though, maybe some day...

Perhaps. At one point I thought Ivalice was dead and buried but it's getting a surprising amount of focus all of a sudden, with Ramza in crossover games and even apparently a FFXIV quest or story or something (I have no idea how XIV works).

Personally I'd kill for more because Tactics is my all-time favourite, even if I don't think anything else set in Ivalice ever reached that level (Tactics A2 is still really fun though, just...not a storytelling masterpiece, by any means).

EponymousMrYar posted:

Tidus comes into his own when the plot stops following Yuna's pilgrimage (as he catalyzes it into 'stop all pilgrimages/save the world.')
Tidus and Vaan/Penelo have similar story roles, however Tidus has more of an active role in his plot while Vaan/Penelo has more of a supporting role.

Tidus' role at first is as the player self-insert, teaching them about the world through the eyes of someone just as confused as they are. His following role, more important to the story, is that of a disruption - someone that knows nothing, understands nothing, but most importantly cares about nothing. A loud-mouthed idiot that nonetheless is the one person (apart from his own mentor) in that world that isn't horribly brainwashed into a cult of suffering, thus taking the role of moving Yuna away from her own self-sacrificing ideology. As the game goes on, Tidus' role increases until Yuna completely breaks away from Yevon, and at that time it's very much first and foremost Tidus' story, especially as it's revealed that Sin is Tidus' own father, himself a victim of the horrible spiral of death that is Spira. And of course, ironically enough, in the end Tidus does the exact same thing he stopped Yuna from doing - he sacrifices himself to save the world.

And then FFX-2 revives him because X-2 is a very different story and we're better off not talking about it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Psycho Knight posted:

I'm not singling out X either, we'll also be expounding on such lovely additions to existing games as Dirge of Cerberus for VII and The After Years for IV.

Oh boy, so how much time do we have before we get some really lame depression and also a never-ending stream of "huh?"?

Or actually, seeing how seriously this game takes itself, maybe it's the best place to have FFVII's EU in. Because it could get mercilessly mocked. These translators don't even care about making fun of their kin, they have no limits.

AweStriker posted:

I'm not sure people remember that game exists half the time.

Also it's both, happening chronologically after FFXII with Vaan (aside, I'm unreasonably irritated about all the misspelling of it, it's two a's one n) still as the main character and yet having almost no gameplay in common with it probably qualifies for that.

It's really obvious Revenant Wings was not meant to be a FFXII game but then they realized it'd sell better that way. It was still a pretty fun sidegame, very unique gameplay (because it's barely a Final Fantasy).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Aw, they're just a trio of giant dorks. I like this interpretation of the WoL.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Since Cloud is in Super Smash Bros. (with representation that makes Konami look like a good company...), I say we return the favour and rename Right Hand MasterHand.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

All of that just makes it sound like the perfect game to be LPed. That way, we get all the good without having to go through the boring.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, Not-Uncle Takka is a great villain. It's a waste to have him for one scene because I love the hammy ones like him. Segwades isn't terrible or anything but Not-Uncle left a much greater impression on me there.

Though I have no idea what's the difference between fate and destiny.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I just realized that our protagonists are named Land and Rain.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Worldwalker_Pure posted:

Please use a Champion Jewel to turn Lann into Tifa at least once, that feels like something there'd be dialogue for. Also yeah I'm seconding using the Babyhamut name, it's excellent.

There wouldn't be because Champion Jewels can't be used on opposite-sex characters.

Also please use all the dragons. I have no real name suggestions, I just like dragons.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

In this update: cute nicknames that must be used when their Mirages join the party. Yes, I'm pre-emptively voting for this.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Psycho Knight posted:

(FFVII).png[/img]Yes. Come on.

quote:

World of Final Fantasy Music: Refreshing Melody [/b](I don't know why they didn't put Rydia's Theme in the OST)[/b]

Broken stuff here.

Also, while Firion's role here is indeed disappointing, it should be pointed out that Maxima apparently had a very small budget, so they did what they could. It's bad anyways but I'd put the blame here explicitly on the executives rather than on the people that worked on the game.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

One more thing to add to Toriyama's love for Lightning: he's fully willing to blatantly lie to promote how cool and good she is. Motomu Toriyama has promoted her as the first female protagonist Final Fantasy ever had, ignoring Terra and Yuna before her. When called out on the former, he defended himself by saying that FFVI is an ensemble cast...apparently ignoring how the exact same can be said for FFXIII.

Motomu Toriyama is a hack and Lightning is a bad character until she Returns, where she both somehow loses her personality (in-game text) and also becomes far more personable than ever and far more enjoyable (reality).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I definitely like the combination of parts of different games they've done here, it works very nicely.

Also Squall sure is talkative in this game, where's the "..."?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Psycho Knight posted:

Squall in this appearance has always reminded me more of Cloud. Meanwhile, Cloud has been bastardized into his Compilation attitude, which reminds me of early VIII Squall.

I hate the Compilation, have I mentioned that recently? If not, then get ready, because there's going to be a... dirge at the start of the next update. That's right, the first diseased hand of the Extended Universe monster will be reaching out to grab at us.

Oh, so we have KH Squall here, where he's basically Cloud at his best while Cloud is Vincent Valentine/EU Cloud instead. Also I don't think EU Cloud is quite like early-Squall, early-Squall was very much just a moody teenager while EU Cloud is the proof Square-Enix shouldn't be allowed to use their own characters.

Also ugh, can we just skip that update? I'd rather not remember that particular game.

BisbyWorl posted:

I'm actually a bit afraid the FF7 remake will butcher Cloud's character arc just so he comes out the other end as his brooding Compilation self. :ohdear:

It's fine, the FFVII remake will never come out. But even if it does, modern stuff has shifted Cloud back to his original characterization from what I've heard, and even Crisis Core had a far better Cloud than the rest of the EU, so I feel Square-Enix actually learned from their mistakes here. I hope, at least.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Wait, Vivi isn't a Champion? A minor character from the shittiest of side-games gets the Champion treatment but a fan-favourite from a main game gets completely ignored? What the hell, WoFF?

Also we're going to the Big Bridge, gee, I wonder who will appear there. I can't even imagine, or what song will be played.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

And yet, despite having his own quests, Vivi is still not summonable for some reason. I don't get this game.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This is the best update entirely because of Conductor Cactuar's relentless trolling of Reynn. Very deserved too.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AweStriker posted:

Offhand I think Kramer (VIII's Cid), Raines (XIII's Cid), FFTA2 Cid, Randell (FFTA1's Cid), and Orlandeau (FFT's Cid) all aren't much for science, though. Come to think of it none of the Tactics Cids are much alike.

Yeah, for some reason the Tactics Cids are very much about strong warriorship instead of any scientific endeavour. Hell, Orlandeau is rarely ever referred to as Cid, he's constantly referred to by his last name, very rarely by his title of "Thunder God Cid".

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Let no one tell you that anything other than FFVII is worth it. It's not. Dirge of Cerberus is a masterpiece of horrible design, to the point that the utterly hilarious (for all the wrong reasons) plot is unenjoyable because of the awful gameplay, Advent Children is not saved by the lack of gameplay and the plot is dull as poo poo, and Crisis Core...is actually really good in story, for once, but the gameplay's repetitive (not terrible though, even if it has some really baffling decisions like Limit Breaks and even levelling up being RNG-based). I cried at the end too, even when you know what will happen since, you know, prequel, the game manages to perfectly blend story and gameplay to hit you in the heart really, really hard.

I've kept myself as far as possible from the FFX expanded universe because FFX is a game I dearly love and my favourite of the franchise (numbered only, FFT edges it out as my favourite FF period). I played X-2 but I refuse to go beyond that. Ever.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

LiefKatano posted:

Also I'd definitely say XIII-2 and Lightning Returns should be covered, especially since afaik that's relatively distanced from the original concept of the Fabula Nova Crystallis "universe".

I agree with this. Plus, there's the fact that like the rest of the sequels, they were clearly unplanned, seeing how XIII-2 has to completely retcon the ending of XIII for its own story to happen. Lightning Returns was clearly planned from XIII-2 but XIII-2 was very clearly not and it clashes badly with XIII, much like the Compilation of FFVII does with FFVII itself.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Seeing Reynn be the butt of jokes for once is very enjoyable. Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought Lann should drive that stake through his sister rather than the vampire.

I'm surprised we got through Cloud's section without a single "not interested".

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Psycho Knight posted:

Tidus is from FFX and he is the last missing piece of the X cast in this game. That means that after this update, we'll have another installment of "The Mixed Legacy of Final Fantasy Extended Universes". User Blaze Dragon might possibly wind up a broken heap of a man by the end of that one.

Why do you do this to me?

Robindaybird posted:

I honestly don't get the hate Tidus gets, but honestly X-2 and on is a hot mess. Frankly, I can't think of a single EU game that wasn't really terrible in some way.

Crisis Core at least has a genuinely good story if you can get past Nomura's Gackt fanboyism, and for all it does wrong The After Years can be fun to play (sometimes...) but even in that it's a worse Chrono Trigger, so it isn't really worth anyone's time.

Leraika posted:

I guess it depends on how you feel about the Ivalice Alliance.

The Ivalice Alliance is very much its own thing and shouldn't be considered EU I think, especially considering how Tactics came out far before XII (and is also the best game). The only thing in Ivalice I consider a sequel is Revenant Wings, which is...fine. Not great, by any means, but acceptable and sort of fun, which is more than I can say about XII.

Also add me to the list of Shantotto-dislikers. I actually really enjoy the rhyming but the first Dissidia constantly saying how she's the bestest ever, even by characters that'd never do that, absolutely annoyed me.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

mateo360 posted:

to add to this (and why I loving hate the argument about it), Word of God being Square has confirmed the pronunciation through other official media. Dissidia, Kingdom Hearts, interviews with the staff. Theme or not with tide, Square has spoken.

That's because his name does not come from tide and it never did. That's an understandable misconception English-speakers have. It comes from the Okinawan word tida, meaning "sun", connecting him to the Sigil and Crest needed for his Caladbolg (why this was renamed from Ultima Weapon is beyond me), as well as putting him in contrast with Yuna, whose weapon is upgraded through the Moon Sigil and Crest.

It's also likely why Tidus uses such bright colours in his design - though, of course, the colours aren't exactly the biggest issue in that gigantic mess of a design.

morallyobjected posted:

FFX-2 is the story about how Yuna doesn't actually need Tidus to live and can go on crazy adventures with her own life and friends.

It's less that and more Yuna growing up from the horrible life she was meant to lead. She's now independent and free of responsibility, things she has never been before - and she's utterly stumped on how to live that way. Paine calling her a "doormat" is more than just a joke, it's pointing out how Yuna literally does not know how to live in any way that isn't self-sacrificial, and FFX-2 is her learning that living for yourself, being your own person, instead of a sacrifice for the greater good, is how she and anyone should live.

I don't mind her getting Tidus back at the end of the journey because it doesn't go against that ideal. She's back with Tidus not because anyone forced her, she followed her own dearest wish against all logic and got what she wanted. It may undo the bittersweet ending of FFX but it's a perfect conclusion to Yuna's growth to independence and selfishness in FFX-2.

...if only all of this wasn't hidden by some really bad fanservice, lots and lots of pointless exploration, a 100% that's a pain to get to, and changing the battle system from FFX's perfect one to X-2's unwieldy one...

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Weird, I think the forum may be glitching out. That post just suddenly went blank after the X-2 part.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hmm...penguin, water, named after what it says...I know the game says that's a Quacho but c'mon, that's clearly a Piplup.

Also god I hate the "I'm a girl so I HATE ALL MEN RAAGH" characters and that sure made me hate a character that was otherwise likeable here. Please don't use her.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I liked the synergy between your stacks here, using King in one team, Queen in the other, and also both of our starting Pokemon.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The main issue isn't Reynn pointing out the blatantly suspicious thing is suspicious, the main issue is that she proceeds to do it anyways. Instead of actually helping, she comes across as someone that feels she's better than everyone but in reality is incapable of any sort of action.

Lann: "Hey let's do what's right in front of us!"
Reynn: "No wait that's stupid."
Lann: "So what do we do?"
Reynn: "uuuuuhhhhhh we do it but only with me pointing out it's stupid"

That's not good writing. If anything, Reynn comes across as an even bigger idiot than Lann because at least Lann has no idea about consequences, Reynn fully realizes poo poo is almost definitely going to go wrong and proceeds to do it anyways.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I don't think anyone expected this to end well but this sure ended spectacularly badly even for my expectations.

And considering Wyn downright said that they did it again, this isn't even the first time these two massively hosed everything up. I can't wait to learn how they did it the first time.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

LiefKatano posted:

We Planet Robobot now, boys

...Also jesus that's kind of incredible the two have messed up this much. That said, I also feel like Hauyn was way too hard on them for that. Maybe if she was more upfront with "you two are too gullible" bit, it wouldn't be as grating, but as is...

I don't think there's a way of being "too hard" on a couple of people that apparently doomed the entire world twice. Hell, not the entire world, entire, countless worlds if we're to believe Tama and Serafie. Not to mention, her words make me heavily suspect that they're responsible for sealing her in the first place, so she has a reason to have a personal vendetta against them as well.

She's absolutely right they should go home and never attempt anything ever again, considering how incredibly good they are at massively loving up. All the power and goodwill in the world are worthless if you end up using them this wrongly.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Einhander reference doesn't surprise me thanks to Kingdom Hearts III also having references to it (a Gummi Ship and a boss).

The Punch-Out!! reference caught me way off-guard though. That is not something I expect in a Final Fantasy game of all places, even if it's something the localization added.

Also, no lore for War Machine? Are you waiting until you get one of your own for it?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Psycho Knight posted:

I legitimately missed the Punch-Out reference. I'm going to re-read and try to find it.

Spoilering this for if you want to test your knowledge instead of taking the easy way out: Minotaur description. It's talking about Bald Bull.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Psycho Knight posted:

That's totally a cyborg Chocobo, though. Mecha Chocobo has a little moogle pilot inside (I think).

I don't think it does. What you see as a pilot is clearly a drawing to me. I don't think that's a living Moogle at all, just cute decoration.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

God that Shantotto part is all I hate in games. An annoying character that leads the plot, the player is utterly pointless in the whole thing regardless of their actions, the game never acknowledges your successes...at least Quacho Queen went from annoying to genuinely cute. Too bad all the bad writing around Shantotto ruined everything anyways.

The rest was nice. The abridged FFX plot was neat and Nirvalefor is a really great name for a Valefor upgrade, Celes and Cloud have surprisingly good chemistry together, and the Tifa part...happened, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I kind of liked having Serafie around more than Tama, she has a less annoying voice and lacks that stupid the- verbal tic. Not to mention her name is constantly pronounced correctly (made even worse by the description because I'm pretty sure that pronunciation guide is flat-out wrong, so great job there)

Both foxes are very neat though.