Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Scalding Coffee posted:

I bet Tama's tic is different and not as annoying in the Japanese version. Here, it reminds me of Poshul.
Verbal tics are always an annoying character trait, even in Japanese.

I also used to think they were unrealistic. Then I met people who end literally every sentence with "bro".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

There is something off-putting about the faces in this game. Something about the noses and mouths. I don't remember KH being this bad, although I only really played the PS2 ones.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Psycho Knight posted:

Do you mean in-game models or the head portraits? Because some of the head icons are from concept art since I couldn't find any good Jiant form sprites.
The in-game models. There's a definite Uncanny Valley feeling there; something's just not right.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Geez, did Lann fall down a flight of stairs in between updates or something? His INT stat seems to have taken a nosedive.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Bablizz almost looks like a reference to another classic JRPG series.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Mirage entries in this game have such a similar style to the monster entries in Dragon Quest games that I wouldn't be surprised to find out they were written by the same guy (seriously, check out Epicmissingno's DQ Monsters: Joker LP and tell me they're not done by the same guy).

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

dotchan posted:

Chocobo name suggestions: Boco
Seconding this.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Mraagvpeine posted:

Another name for Right Claw: Dexter.
Well then Psycho Knight has to get a Left Claw and name it Sinister to complete the pair.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So I just found this Let's Play. I'm one update in and I think Tama's tic is worse than Starfire, because even in TTG she words her sentences in a way where 'the' isn't that awkward sounding. Something like "I would like to initiate the group hug." or akin to that. Basically using "the" as a replacement for "a".

Stuff like "Would you the-like some sugar?" is just worded awkwardly.

Anyway, that's just my two cents on the comparison!
As someone said earlier, Starfire has a consistent rule to how she uses "the", and it's not really a verbal tic. It just doesn't quite map to how we use it in English. It makes it seem a bit more like she's speaking a language she's not used to and doesn't think in.

Tama just throws "the" randomly into her sentences, and it's not used to enhance her character and backstory like it is for Starfire. In these "anime" games, a character with a verbal tic generally has it to be "cute", and to me, that's what makes it annoying.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Leraika posted:

Pretty sure the other famous mimic is Gogo.
And/or the fact that Mimic/Mime is a class in most of the FF games with class systems.

grandalt posted:

Oh, little detail about mimics in this game. They have access to death, so fighting them is a lot more risky than you might think.
Now this might be a reference to DQ Mimics, which usually have the ability to spam Whack spells.

BisbyWorl posted:

Cactuar really makes me wish the game would let you partially stack up, he's a really speedy bastard by default and gets a set of support nodes from both his forms that reduce the AP cost of Thousand Needles.

Being able to keep him off the stack means you can throw out 1000 damage every round for 1AP while letting the remaining two have 8AP on hand for stronger skills.
1,000 Needles was a lot more threatening when your party (and enemies) didn't have such ridiculously inflated HP pools. Now it's basically just a good early-game attack.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Psycho Knight posted:

So then we're actually in Wallmidbelmarket, or just Midbelmark. Man, they really got out of hand blending together the VII locations into a single town.
Well, Wall Market is still in Midgar IIRC, so the only weird part is how it's called Nibelheim. If we find parts of Wutai or Corel here, then it's getting out of hand.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You can ride Magitek Armor anywhere in this game?! Game of the year. Hands down.

I say name your two Armors either Biggs and Wedge or Kefka and Gestahl.

Fun fact about Squall; in his first voiced appearance (in Kingdom Hearts), he was voiced by David Boreanaz, of Buffy fame.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I definitely like the combination of parts of different games they've done here, it works very nicely.

Also Squall sure is talkative in this game, where's the "..."?
And not a single "whatever", either.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 5, 2019

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

AweStriker posted:

You do a mosaic of Cids and don't include Cid nan Garlond or Thunder God Cid? Those are two of the best Cids!

Also, does Al-Cid count as a Cid? If he does, it means FFXII has multiple Cids.
Ducktor Cid would like to have a word with you.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I like the idea that Cloud is just so goddamn psyched to take you to the Train Graveyard that he just can't stop bothering you about it every time you pass by him.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

jimmydalad posted:

I’m one of those people who liked Finl Fantasy X-2. It was my first JRPG and it got me hooked int the genre. Its gameplay is pretty awesome.
Yeah, the plot is eh, but the core gameplay is solid and fun and that's like 90% of my enjoyment of a game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Psycho Knight posted:

Is... is that a Star Trek reference? Because they did exceed Warp 10 in that series. I'm not even a Trekkie and I know that. Let's not even get into the possible speed of Plaid.
Pretty sure it is. Specifically, it's a reference to an episode of Voyager where Tom Paris and Janeway build a ship capable of going Warp Ten (all previous points where they had exceeded Warp 9.whatever have been flukes or using weird future tech), which is apparently infinite speed, and then evolve into amphibians (they get better). It makes about as much sense in context, and is one of the episodes people point to when they claim Voyager is bad. Personally, I'm rather fond of Voyager, but this is neither the place nor the time.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

IIRC like the princesses from FF5, Amano's original character art had her as a blonde. It was changed to green during development due to the limits of the SNES. Either her character palette (which is shared with other characters) could support green but not yellow, or to make her sprite more readable at low resolutions on a blurry CRT screen.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think you forgot to close a bold tag or two early in the update. Character dialogue is in bold up until Tama's "Whay are you talking in third person?" line.

Psycho Knight posted:

Oh, c'mon. I mean, anything is possible. After all the weird stuff we've seenm happen--
Typo here?

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 28, 2019

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

EponymousMrYar posted:

There's a few more hints Hauyn could have dropped but she dropped enough to keep things ambiguous.

Hauyn being really bitter at them answers that reasonably. It's a believable character flaw that she's angry enough at them to prefer them being in the dark.

Naturally that's probably going to bite her in the butt later :v:
When the twins gently caress up something else through ignorance that she could've prevented by sparing just one line of dialogue.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Hauyn also can't really be blamed for anything that came before now either, considering she was apparently trapped here, and someone else was using an illusion to borrow her appearance to mislead the twins.

Refusing to give information she has means that she is in part responsible for anything the twins gently caress up from now on that that information could have prevented, though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Psycho Knight posted:

Gutsy making a Punch-Out reference in a title going to a Sony platform (although I suppose Maxima is on Switch, too).

Psycho Knight posted:

Is that Minesweeper or a rudimentary Tactics minigame?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Robindaybird posted:

Yea, this still doesn't top 'I became a final boss because I can't count to five'.
What's this a reference to?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

LiefKatano posted:

Dragon resists electric, so of course Leviathan would have slightly better resistance!
But Water/Flying is 4x weak to Electric.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Bismarck reminds me more of a beluga crossed with an ocean liner than a shark. I can't see the whole model in the screenshots, but it even looks like the tail flukes are horizontal, like a whale's.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Seems like the twins' general competence level is endemic to Grymoire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I don't remember BoF4's fishing minigame, which probably means it was less lovely than 3's (or maybe after having to suffer that, I just refused to engage in it any more than absolutely necessary), but I still have no fond memories of any video game fishing. You could remove fishing in every video game it's in and it would universally improve the game, imo.