Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Fun fact, I suppose: this is kind of an inversion of how Rydia got over her fear of fire in IV. Rather than douse a fire wall, she had to use Fire to melt an ice wall.

I also kind of want to say that Leviathan showing up and sending the heroes to god-knows-where is also a IV reference, where he, uh. Does that. With Rydia in the party, no less. That's how the age up shenanigans began.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I kiiiiiiind of want to say the Caravan's a reference to FFI's desert caravan, but nobody's selling bottled faeries or items that temporarily increase your stats so I can't say for sure.

Also man. I wonder what Edgar, person noted for rebelling against the Empire, is going to do in this game? :thunk:

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

What was the point of that boss "battle"? :psyduck:

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

Regalingualius posted:

And a max-power Chicken Knife is more powerful than the Brave Blade even if you’d never fled from a single fight in the entire game by the time you can get them.

This is something to note. A max-power Brave Blade has 150 Attack, while a max-power Chicken Knife only has 127. Seems like it would be obviously in favor of the Chicken Knife, right? Even if the Brave Blade is a knightsword, one of the best classes for endgame is the Freelancer, who can equip anything, so that's not a huge problem, right?

Except for the multiplier whenever you attack. The Brave Blade uses (level * strength)/128 + 2, the Chicken Knife uses (level * strength)/128 + (level * agility)/128 + 2. That's not averaged or anything, so that means the Chicken Knife, more often than not, deals more damage than the Brave Blade, because it gets powered up by agility as well as strength. (This isn't supposed to be exclusive to the Chicken Knife, but someone messed up the code for basically every other weapon that uses it and they didn't fix it because it ended up being way too good.)

...Also there is the +5 Agility vs. +5 Strength, since Agility for the Chicken Knife affects both damage and the rate your ATB fills up, but I'm not sure how much the ATB part matters.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

It would, definitely. I'm just not sure if it's a meaningful increase vs. the amount of damage you're getting from the output of the Chicken Knife anyways, since I don't know how agility affects ATB.

Granted I suppose it's just "how much more does this beat the Brave Blade" at this point, anyways.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

Robo-Cid kind of reminds me of IV's Cid. Mostly with the head, I think.

's some hardcore dedication to book-reading, at least. I can respect that.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

He counts as a Cid insofar as he has Cid in both his Japanese and English names, but I believe the game's directors don't consider him to be a "true" Cid.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I was about to suggest that it was because FFT didn't really have any "sci-fi" elements like other Final Fantasy games... then I remembered there were two engineer characters in the game, Mustadio and his father. I'm curious as to why one of them weren't the game's Cid (though they are descendants of XII's).

Something kinda interesting is that the Tactics Cids have some element of "power" to them. Orlandeau is the Thunder God, the strongest swordsman in all of Ivalice, and a pretty important figure to boot, while TA's Cid is the Judgemaster of fake-Ivalice. TA2 Cid kinda breaks the pattern, unless you count him being the leader of the player's clan (which starts off... not that impressively, though they do become as gods as the game progresses).

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

LOVELESS was a play not a poem gosh iirc people in-universe kinda give Genesis crap for constantly referencing LOVELESS, at least. I'm not sure if that makes that better or worse.

Also I'd definitely say XIII-2 and Lightning Returns should be covered, especially since afaik that's relatively distanced from the original concept of the Fabula Nova Crystallis "universe".

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

The Sunken Temple's based off of the location in Final Fantasy I, where the Water Crystal was located. The poxyale is a reference (I'd guess) as to how you got in then - with oxyale granted by a fairy you rescued from a caravan in a desert (also seen previously).

The GBA boss fight with Gilgamesh makes it kinda sound like it's an alcoholic beverage of some sort ("you've been hitting the oxyale too hard!"), though he might just be keeping things relatively PG. Either way, though, it's better than being cursed and bribed by a jackass, pint-sized black mage.

I'm guessing Runic became an ice attack because ice was kind of Celes's "element" in VI - she learned all of the ice spells while leveling up, while Terra learned fire spells (curiously, though, Celes learns Flare naturally and Terra doesn't). Runic is also, as noted... not exactly an offensive technique. (Or good.) Though I suppose it's a good question as to why they didn't just spice up her Desperation Attack, Spinning Edge...

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I thought it was a distant prequel series, but I could be mistaken.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

The appearance is why I'm saying I think it's weird Celes gets Flare and not Terra. :V Especially since they have at least one spell overlapping - Holy.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

Psycho Knight posted:

I went back and added in that little bit (credited you for catching it), and I also realized that the barrels were a reference too. You get to the Sunken Shrine in a barrel, which is what the twins were stuffed in on the beach and chucked into the water in.

...I can't believe I forgot that part. I'm a failure... :negative:

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I wonder why they used Kraken and Tiamat, but not Marilith and Lich. I guess Lich would be sharing real-estate with Undead Princess, but I don't think Marilith is used elsewhere...?

Also, while enemies named Unicorns are only present in the GBA and PSP versions of Final Fantasy I, all of the horse-type enemies are unicorns (i.e. they have a single horn) in all versions.

And, finally, a kinda-nitpicky correction: while Titan was a summon and a boss in III (and I'm not sure why; the boss didn't use the same sprite as the summon), the summon came first, and is, in fact, the highest-power buyable summon. The boss is the guardian of the Earth Crystal (the last one), and also kind of the "guardian" for the final dungeon by extension due to questionable pacing choices.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

It's interesting that Brandelis looks kind of like Garland, of Final Fantasy I fame, and also uses Chaos's (and thus Garland's via Dissidia) four elemental moves (Whirlwind was called Twister in the latest versions of Final Fantasy I but they're still basically the same move). I guess they were trying to sell this as the final boss, though how they expected to do that with him only having one form is beyond me.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

We Planet Robobot now, boys

...Also jesus that's kind of incredible the two have messed up this much. That said, I also feel like Hauyn was way too hard on them for that. Maybe if she was more upfront with "you two are too gullible" bit, it wouldn't be as grating, but as is...

LiefKatano fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 1, 2019

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

The Lute of Ragnarok being in Cornelia is definitely a FFI reference - Sarah gave you a lute as thanks for rescuing her.

Unfortunately, it didn't summon a cool superweapon or even turn enemies into items. It just... was a glorified key. For the final dungeon. The exact opposite end of the game.

...Yep.

Incidentally, drat that's a pretty poor showing for one of the traditional superbosses.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

Psycho Knight posted:

Keep in mind two things about Supraltima Weapon:

1. Omega Weapon exists in this game, so Ultima is just the "warm up".

2. We didn't really fight Ultima because we didn't get the memento or ability to capture. It shows up in the Coliseum at level 90 and you need to deal about 25k in damage in a single hit in order to get a capture chance. I'm not looking forward to that.

I was referring to the Omega the Warrior of Light "faced", rather than Supraltima Weapon. Supraltima Weapon's pretty strong and references VII as best as it can, so it's fine. Omega, though... is embarassing, yeesh.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

Dragon resists electric, so of course Leviathan would have slightly better resistance!

...On a more serious note I'd gueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeess Odin's extreme weakness to lightning would be a reference to Lunar Odin in Final Fantasy IV Advance, where he could be instantly killed by lightning attacks if you hit him at the right time.

...Also does Gravity seriously affect all of the bosses? Jeez. And it doesn't even cap the damage.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

Why does Bahamut have a -150 weakness to light when Diablos only has -100? He's, like, never had a light weakness before. He had a wind weakness once, but I think that's it.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I could've sworn Ifreeta (or at least a female Ifrit) appeared in another spin-off (Mobius, mainly). Which, granted, wouldn't really help her chances, but...

Shivalry, similarly, isn't the first guy related to Shiva to appear - that would be Shivar, her husband as portrayed in Revenant Wings. ...Shivalry's way cooler, though. I don't have a nickname for him but I want to use him in a stack.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

If Sephiroth showed up in the game as an actual entity and didn't interact with the Quacho Princess at all I would've been disappointed.

Sephiroth looks like Psaro the Manslayer, the main antagonist of Dragon Quest IV, who is motivated to destroy humanity because they kept on bothering an elf he loved because... she cried ruby tears.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

So there's gravity resistance... but they only bothered to do it halfway and for (thus far/in the base game? I haven't extensively checked but I somehow doubt there's good resources online for WoFF) one boss, it looks like. :psyduck:

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

morallyobjected posted:

super bosses have always played by their own rules, both for attacks and resistances

It's not "what the gently caress the super boss has resistance to gravity" it's "what the gently caress only the super boss has resistance to gravity and it only has resistance, not immunity". Gravity isn't often a defined element, only appearing in Final Fantasy VII and X-2, but in VII tons of bosses are immune to gravity, with a few more at least resistant to it - most of the ones that aren't are adds of some sort. Even in games where gravity doesn't have an element, it's usually tied to instant death resistance (or the "heavy" status, i.e. the "this is a boss" flag). And those are in games where damage is regularly capped at 9999; World of Final Fantasy (or, at least, the Maxima version) doesn't have that restraint.

It's just... incredibly weird, given series standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

"Sending a picture of FFXII only to be told it's not Final Fantasy enough" is hilarious despite how awful it is.