Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Oh god a World of Final Fantasy LP. :allears:

I also never used Jiant form in gameplay, but that's mostly because I enjoyed riding all the L sized Mirages rather than having two monsters on my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

He's like a tiny Black Mage, so Zapt gets my vote!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Psycho Knight posted:

The Maxima add-on does have quite a few improvements. I've seen a lot of people saying that it's overpriced for what it offers though. Granted, we are talking about Square-Enix here.

Yeah I got the base game on sale a bit before Maxima came out, so now I'm just waiting for it to go on sale as well before I start it up.
Looking forward to seeing what all Maxima added!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

I second calling TGWFHN Nameless just to make things simple.

I also love how Valefor is actually a bit smaller than Lann or Reynn in Jiant form. You have to pick one up when you get the chance. :allears:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

WoL constantly stopping himself from admitting he has a thing for Sarah is the best.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

I don't think you've mentioned this, but I noticed that hitting a mirage with their imprism condition multiple times actually boosts the odds of capturing them. It usually works on more common types like using a damage type or applying a status rather than once per battle chances or stuff that uses rare items.

Compare the effect on Princess Goblin and Magic Jar, if you could hit Princess with a second blind proc the circle would get a bit more fancy.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Snorb posted:

Is there any advantage to using Lilikin or Jiant form besides Lann and Reynn's sizes?

There's a small thing Maxima adds that only Lilikin can use that'll show up in a few more updates, but beyond that the only difference between forms is if you can put an M or L sized monster in your stack.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Now that we're starting to get transfigs, you should probably bring up the difference between green and white abilities on the ability list.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Cactuar really makes me wish the game would let you partially stack up, he's a really speedy bastard by default and gets a set of support nodes from both his forms that reduce the AP cost of Thousand Needles.

Being able to keep him off the stack means you can throw out 1000 damage every round for 1AP while letting the remaining two have 8AP on hand for stronger skills.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Rikku's Al-Bhed eyes look so much creepier when they're the size of her arms.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Psycho Knight posted:

So Reynn's stack for now will include Mugsy on bottom and Babyhamut on top. Babyhamut is the name given to Dramut by the thread. It is a new Mirage for Maxima and has a very good selection of abilities, including great elemental coverage and field abilities (Fire, Thunder, Blizzard, plus the field skills Chill, Sizzle, and Zap). The drawback is that it has no Transfigs. Still, it's a really good S Mirage. The field abilities alone means that it will probably remain on the roster for the rest of the game just for utility purposes.

Honestly, field skills are another complaint I have with WoFF. A big selling point is being able to stick whatever monsters you want together yet half your slots need to be dedicated to mirages with field skills unless you want to burn a good chunk of cash on Seraphones. This is even more painful in the base game where you have 2 less mirage slots.

Psycho Knight posted:

Tonberry does a little spin and "kawaii" pose every time he says their nicknames.

All of you need to watch the video for this.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Psycho Knight posted:

In FFXIII-2, Snow's role is reduced. He fights with a Flan that threatens to destroy Cocoon (main character's home) because Lightning warned him about it in a dream while in the midst of traveling through time. Later on, Serah and the other protag of XIII-2 (who are also time travelers) help him destroy the Flan for good. Snow then disappears because of paradox shenanigans.

In the end, he gets to be with Serah again once the world is saved, or time is fixed, or the antagonist's plan was stopped, or all three... whatever the gently caress the goal of XIII-2 was.

Small correction: Serah loving dies at the end of 13-2 (turns out having a Goddess-given ability to see the future does terrible things to your life span if said Goddess decides to mess with time) and the antagonist's plan goes off without a hitch (turns out having a Goddess that keeps time working give their heart to someone can very easily backfire)

The best part about The Lore for FF13 is that half the reason everything went to poo poo past 13-1 is because there was a JRPG goddess that actually wanted to help rather than just sit around and watch like 99% of other goddess'.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Psycho Knight posted:

all that Lightning bullshit
So, fun fact

That crossover stuff between Dissidia 012 and The 3rd Birthday? Toriyama mentioned that the Lightning outfit Aya gets would let players finally see her l'Cie brand (a mark that acts as a visual shorthand to how show close a l'Cie is to failing their focus and turning into a monster.)

The 3rd Birthday has an entire gameplay mechanic where taking heavy damage will shred Aya's clothes and leave her battered and bloody.

So where's Lightning's brand?

Titty.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Commander Keene posted:

You can ride Magitek Armor anywhere in this game?! Game of the year. Hands down.

To make it even better: in areas where joyriding can override the BGM, Magitek Armor will change the music to FF6's theme.

I grabbed the DLC Armor as soon as I could just so I could ride it everywhere.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Psycho Knight posted:

Squall in this appearance has always reminded me more of Cloud. Meanwhile, Cloud has been bastardized into his Compilation attitude, which reminds me of early VIII Squall.

I hate the Compilation, have I mentioned that recently? If not, then get ready, because there's going to be a... dirge at the start of the next update. That's right, the first diseased hand of the Extended Universe monster will be reaching out to grab at us.

I'm actually a bit afraid the FF7 remake will butcher Cloud's character arc just so he comes out the other end as his brooding Compilation self. :ohdear:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Mraagvpeine posted:

Didn't Square have to literally redo XIV after massive fan backlash?

XIV 1.0 bombed so hard they had Bahamut nuke the world and use that as backstory for XIV 2.0.

I'm honestly surprised at how well XIV recovered.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

God, why is it always the cutesy games that just casually drop horrifying poo poo like that?

"Haha, there's a chocobo on my head that's adora-What do you mean summons can just make like a Daemon and pop your head like a grape? :gonk:"

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

A fun little note: Fenrir was Eiko's default summon back in FFIX, shame the wolf is a generic Mirage here.

NGDBSS posted:

You may want to clarify that VA's role in Drakengard. He wasn't actually Manah (a six- or eight-year-old girl in Drakengard 1) but instead the Watcher possessing her. Otherwise, yeah that sucks. :(

As far as FF5 goes I hope that the Chicken Knife eventually shows up. It was the most powerful weapon in the game due to its unique damage calculations, and while FF5 has even more broken tools SE has not seen fit to reference them since. (Quickleak in particular would be funny as hell.)

Don't forget Dissidia, which made Bartz's EX Burst Spellblade-Dual Wield-Rapid Fire.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Bloodly posted:

Why's everyone so big on the Chicken Knife? As I understand it, the Brave Blade keys its damage off fights you've won, the Chicken Knife keys off battles you've fled from. So what's so special about the Knife that you're hyping it?

The thing to note is that Brave Blade isn't keyed off winning fights, it keys off of not running from fights. If you flee from a single fight over the course of the entire game it'll get start getting weakened. Meanwhile the Chicken Knife gets stronger the more you flee, and as a dagger it also uses the user's Agility while rolling damage. If you take the time to grind the flees out and use an alternate attack command like !Mug or !Rapid Fire to bypass the 25% flee chance it'll greatly outperform the Brave Blade.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Blaze Dragon posted:

This is the best update entirely because of Conductor Cactuar's relentless trolling of Reynn. Very deserved too.

The Conductor's having a good time, all the time, and we all love him for that.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

My favorite bit of Advent Children was Red XIII getting like 20 seconds of screen time because his fur was an utter bitch to render back in the long ago days of 2005.

Also, the silliest bit about Crisis Core was the fact that it also gave backstory for the Buster Sword. You know, that babby's first weapon that you ditch the second you can steal a Hardedge and let it gather dust the rest of the game.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

A Sometimes Food posted:

I worry about the FF7R incorporating the EU stuff but also they've been making noises at people not to expect it, so I feel like someone there has reviewed how people felt about the EU and is vetoing it.

Also Nomura and Gackt hate each other now.

Didn't Gackt revoke the right for SE to use his likeness? I remember hearing that was the reason Dirge of Cerberus and Crisis Core never touched the PSN store ages ago.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Psycho Knight posted:

Consider yourself lucky, Reynn. FFVII's Train Graveyard had actual ghosts in it... for some reason. Now that I think about it, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Why are there so many souls of the dead wandering a scrapyard?

Considering Mako energy is refined soul juice, for all we know a cracked pipe somewhere could let some souls leak out. Turns out Grandma is mildly pissed she almost got burned to power some schmuck's hair curler, who knew?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Good god I knew a bit about Will, but all of that together is just :barf:

Also a thing to note is that Last Mission played nothing like X-2 proper, it was more of a bizarre Mystery Dungeon type deal.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

I like how the whole prophecy business was set up by the villains because what else will two plucky young heroes with no idea what to do gravitate to?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Leraika posted:

oh god never take Laguna out of your party he's adorable in every form

The cutest source of Instant Death you'll ever see.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Game starts with fawning over having a baby chocobo on your head, and then you find out the twins are responsible for literally everything that has happened.

If the whiplash was any harder I would have grounds to sue SE for medical costs.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

1234567890num posted:

I remember being worried about Lann being as stupid as Leonard in the beginning of this LP. Glad to see that it wasn't the case.

He's drat near pushing it, guy summoned the big bad and got his parents possessed. Plus his response to 'hey maybe you shouldn't open the ominous gate' is to casually seal Hauyn in crystal for god knows how long.

I do like how WoFF is pushing a message of 'hey, maybe kids aren't the ideal masters for monsters with incredible powers.'

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

I bet half the reason the twins were able to snag the Pleiad from Lusse is because they all knew that they would get to do whatever the hell they wanted.

Also I really wish Tamamohime could get some more cutscene time; if only to spare us from Tama's -the verbal tic.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Leraika posted:

Wow, those were really disjointed even by WoFF standards. How disappointing.

You gotta shoehorn in more character reps somehow.

Although having Garland not say his iconic line is unforgivable. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Farewell Maxima, you were fairly :effort: from start to finish.

Thanks for the LP, Psycho Knight! :toot: