Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

She seems to have a remarkably great sense of humor about this thing that ruined her life. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
:perfect:

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

This poo poo is so dull. Enough hipsters repurposing well known poo poo, more cats being assholes or dudes gettin hit in the nuts

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Inceltown posted:

Imagine having a reference to sephiroth as your handle and saying references were bad.

Never said I wasn’t a hypocrite

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Memento posted:

I had one that was some sort of exploring game with maybe an Egyptian theme? I remember you had to do logic puzzles where you had a light on your hat that you could use to hit switches.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challenge_of_the_Ancient_Empires!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

https://twitter.com/abirdofonesown/status/1138726275470700544?s=20

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Totally fits within the tone of the films. I hope this is leaked spec script

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Oof, that makes me really sad :(

Mark McGrath wants to kill himself :( :(

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Skwirl posted:

He apparently did that for just $100

https://www.cameo.com/markmcgrath

Cameo makes me want to kill myself

what a litany of woe that website is

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

zoux posted:

I like how they are studiously avoiding any mention of the religious doctrines that drive this philosophy. No, not having sex is just cool on its own you see.

Hey man, I saw a guy wearing a “VIRGINITY ROCKS” sweatshirt walking through PDX yesterday. Maybe not having sex is just that cool

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
:perfect:

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

That lady is super wrong about the number of people- depending on marketing that movie could outearn Star Wars

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Dude just seems like a legit dick imo

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

torgeaux posted:

A celebrity can't pay for every charity request, but they can broadcast a request for CROWD funding to help. Busting their chops because they don't pay for every body that asks for money even for a good cause is pretty short sighted.

Nah, if they see it has enough merit to retweet it, they could probably just knock it out. It’s not like Perlman is tweeting that poo poo all day every day and would be broke if he contributed to everything. Maybe if wealth wasn’t so goddamn disproportionate in our dystopian hellscape, crowdfunding wouldn’t need to be a thing.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Idgi

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Skwirl posted:

they asked for the letters in the n word in order.

Totally missed it thx

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Really want that to be some employee punking the entire airport with Half Life sound clips

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Maxwells Demon posted:

Actually, ethanol and methanol mix extremely well. By drinking the spirits you're diluting the methanol with ethanol.

Who hasn’t had a biochem question of “professors dog got into the stock of methanol, how drunk do you have to get the dog to save its life?”

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
I was just about to joke that the woman was actually a service that insecure dudes could pay so that after you died it was posted that you had a monster cock

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

doverhog posted:

"At the start female players get more money than guys—$1,900 versus $1,500—and collect $240 for passing go, rather than the usual $200. Players purchase things created by women, like “WiFi ... chocolate chip cookies, solar heating and modern shapewear.”

Like, why?

you know what, the end of that ad should have been a shot of one of those girls, and she reaches a hand into her pants pocket, and from within she pulls out an iphone 11 pro max. "Deep pockets for those inventors who work towards deep pockets." Bam. A billion dollars in clothing sales. You're welcome, levi's.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

aaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

My proof there is no god is that this dumb gently caress won’t get to use his own product as a result of this

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

CommonShore posted:

My SO killed lots of mice and cut out their hearts. She worked with someone whose job it was to stress out the mice (because they were studying the physiological effects of stress). In reality that meant inflicting pain on the poor mice.

The mice got their revenge though, because now she's allergic to mice.

I managed to avoid this because when I was killing mice and homogenizing their organs, I was wearing a biocontainment suit. Checkmate, mice!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

OwlFancier posted:

The hell do you need that many dead mice in one lab for?

If you’re doing multiple treatments and timepoints, many mice are required to achieve statistical power

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
When was that recorded?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

The gently caress is this? I assume from context that Charlie wants wanted Hillary locked up or dead because of benghazi?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

zoux posted:

Charlie Daniels has posted "Benghazi ain't going away" every day for like years. Now he's dead, but the tweets live on.

Oh drat, thats what i get for not following charlie on twitter...

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Monica is a pro-tier follow

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Son of Rodney posted:

I love everything that writes like this so much, because growing up as a horny teen you never realize just how backwards and dumb many male writers write about woman sound. If it was smut then hey, whatever, but you'd find it everywhere.

My favorite parody are those two fake pages of a romance novel whith the line "my hoohah was right slimy with desire" or something, anybody got a link maybe?

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/vsDBRZp

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

I feel like I'm getting a lot of questions about my Twitter handle that are answered by my Twitter handle

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Holy poo poo :boom:

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Milo and POTUS posted:

Was it this thread that had a link to some pilot from some long lost, never picked up tv show and the guy kisses his sister or something close to being equally weird

There was the coffee commercial with incest undertones? Maybe did you mean that?

https://www.gq.com/story/folgers-incest-ad-oral-history

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
I don't get the toaster one, what am I missing

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Hawking has a six Erdös Bacon number but never recorded any music, so he doesn’t have an Erdös Bacon Sabbath number since you can’t connect him to Black Sabbath.

Yes it’s super specific.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2014/10/09/354861288/stephen-hawking-in-guest-vocal-on-pink-floyds-new-album

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Cocaine Bear posted:

How do the people of Oregon feel about bears?

It was a bad measure. I struggled a lot with it, because while I strongly support removal of mandatory sentencing, the economics of the bill were not cool. It was really complicated and get like the oversight was lacking. I didn't like seeing so many opposition statements (ignoring the ones that were pearl-clutching about the drugs) that were from counselors saying "this will mess up actual funding to actual clinics".

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Cocaine Bear posted:

That answers my question perfectly. Ty.

That's lovely but it can't be worse than treating a disease with sever incarceration in a loving American prison. Hopefully it's a step to something better.

I'm actually kind of glad it passed. I was super on the fence about it. I'm hoping that the back room funding stuff doesn't turn out to be a bad thing. I will say there were also a lot of oppo statements from addicts saying "jail saved my life" and not being an addict I had no clue what to do with that so I ignored them.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

PetraCore posted:

Haven't there already been like 4 jailbreaks from Hell in the run of Supernatural anyway? Seems more like leaving things open for the fans to plot on now that it's over then actually dropping a bridge.

We stopped watching supernatural in season 5. I had to read three wiki pages to understand that when they say "hell" they mean a weird pre-heaven/hell void called the empty that castiel has already broken out of once and it wasn't even for being gay, Castiel actually summoned the empty to take him and this grim reaper lady named Billie to save deans life and oh my god why did I waste so much time on this

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

tangy yet delightful posted:

Would a tortoise wear jeans like this?

ah well

wait

my sources are informing me that yes, yes it would

Watcha gonna do with all that... shell... inside those jeans?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

ultrafilter posted:

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1332771238771630080

See the replies for more details on how this worked.

The fastest timeline for development is about 5 years for the Ebola vaccine. Normal development timelines range from 10-20 years. This is truly an amazing, coordinated accomplishment. There's a ton of moving parts in vaccine development and obviously we have to ensure safety and effectiveness, but this is pretty awesome that the average citizen in the US will likely have access sometime in late 2021, early 2022. I worry about worldwide supply, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

1stGear posted:

And at the risk of being a downer, it makes me wonder what kind of side effects we're going to see from it a few years down the line. I understand the need to rush this and I'm sure the various researchers involved did their best, but a vaccine doesn't seem like something you can slam together this fast without consequences.

So I work in vaccines as a medical consultant. And yes, you're right that with any pharmaceutical, from dick pills to chemotherapy to vaccines, side effects are an unfortunate evil. Thankfully, especially with vaccines, some have been around long enough that we have both a decent understanding of risk and have developed the necessary infrastructure to catch early signals.

The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/meetings/index.html) has been discussing safety monitoring, dose allocation, and effectiveness of SARS-CoV-2 vaccines for months now. They normally meet three times per year to set vaccine policy- they've had an additional four ad hoc meetings about COVID alone.

Really, we likely won't know if there are long term safety effects. Generally with vaccines long term safety isn't as big an issue; waning of effectiveness is a bigger deal. We have systems like VAERS (https://vaers.hhs.gov) which is a monitoring system designed to detect extremely rare safety signals, as well as the Vaccine Safety Datalink (https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/ensuringsafety/monitoring/vsd/index.html). If there are serious safety issues with the newer RNA applications, the immediate ones will likely be detected soon unless the signal is very rare, in which case it might not be caught until later.

I'm pretty confident that long term safety will be less of a concern, but I do worry about the longevity of the immune response. I imagine boosters may be necessary.