Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Somfin posted:

Current theory is that there was a feed hiccup at that exact loving moment.

How many other people are looking at this post and wondering if removing the rre from the quote would be funny enough to be worth risking the sixer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

RandomFerret posted:

All dormice are edible if you have a polytron and a straw

Technically I think that makes them potable.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

i mean, looking at the two examples i gave, Kreia can be validly interpreted as either heroic or villainous, basically depending on whether you think her philosophy is sound or not.

meanwhile, in Shin Megami Tensei, Law-Neutral-Chaos explicitly doesn't map to conventional human morality, despite the Judeo-Christian framing, and is more like the Y axis of a political compass without the X. you can make a legit argument for any given side or any given character being good or evil, depending more or less entirely on how you interpret their philosophies and whether you think they're a net good or a net bad for the world.

God of War is actually an almost weirdly good example too (and a good example of how gamers honestly do totally fine with this when it's actually done well), because in the original trilogy, Kratos was not a morally grey character. he was a complete rear end in a top hat. there is no framing that can possibly make him look like anything other than a bloodthirsty monster, and that's fairly explicitly how you're supposed to take him. PS4 God of War then takes this relatively simple giant rear end in a top hat, and introduces actual moral complexity to him; he's older, wiser, and generally somewhat ashamed of how he was, and is attempting to be the best father he can to Atreus. but he's still Kratos; "the best father he can be" is still not especially great, and he has to constantly reckon with the consequences of his actions, which generally drive him further towards the brink of becoming exactly how he used to be.

is he, broadly speaking, The Good Guy? sure. but he's not really a good person. it's completely valid to sympathize with him because he's actively trying to become a different and better person, but it's also completely valid to think his previous actions aren't really something you can come back from and that he'll inevitably just go back to mindless slaughter, and the game doesn't really force you into one viewpoint or another.

i would actually say this is kind of the goal of a well-written morally grey character; if there's only one moral alignment you can read the character as, you've failed to write an actual morally grey character. a villain who doesn't have any sympathetic or heroic traits, where you can't make any kind of argument that they might be kinda right, is not morally grey. a hero who doesn't have any significant flaws, and who is absolutely, definitely correct and on the side of good, is also not morally grey. morally grey characters are the ones where you're not really sure exactly where they land and you can make a solid argument in either direction.

Or, maybe, not everyone is a hero or a villain, and assuming every character who is not one has to be the other is reductive as hell.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

wizzardstaff posted:

There are more human beings represented in this penguin romance chart than I expected there to be.

Another day volunteering at the Kyoto Aquarium, everyone keeps asking me if they can gently caress the penguins. Buddy, they wont even let me... (puts finger to earpiece) Oh. Huh. Actually go right ahead.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

My Spirit Otter posted:

the Washington Georges would be p. tight

I'm thinking if you are changing the name of the team to make it less racist, maybe dont go naming the team after a dude who owned slaves. Just save you doing the whole renaming thing over again in a few years. So I propose the Washington George Washington Carvers. Logo can be a peanut.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

zoux posted:

I say lips because otherwise how could I kiss them

Tenderly, on the forehead.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I dont know why, but this one always hit me just right.

https://twitter.com/thepunningman/status/545910621297205249?s=20

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Sometimes something catches you just right.

https://twitter.com/astonoha/status/1297365617041801216?s=20

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Although in fairness, we do now know that he pastor to his poolboy.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Regarde Aduck posted:

What's a bag of wet eggs?

A miserable little pile of secrets.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

OwlFancier posted:

Is there anything in discworld that isn't true?

Good cops and happy endings mainly.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Ambitious Spider posted:

Paulides missing 411 series is interesting- and there are some creepy cases. But A) it’s real easy to get lost in the wilderness and B)also the other cases probably involve people getting murdered or kidnapped by people (or bears) who easily escape into the woods.

So it’s (probably) not Bigfoot or UFOs or cave goblins.

Do... Do the bears ever send ransom demands?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

How many people does this tweeter think are involved in a threesome?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I had a friend show me an essay she'd been given to mark that kept referring to "Recent Zealand". I'm not going to say "dont cheat", but at least proof read your cheating.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Anticheese posted:

What if you know how to code but still can't get a job? :shepface:

Learn to ballet dance. Fatima is giving it up, so there is an opening.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

https://twitter.com/DMReporter/status/1325156762073358336?s=20

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Griefor posted:

People will meticulously rules lawyer every measure set in place as if being technically correct will prevent them from getting sick.

Seriously. I've had to explain to more than a few people that the reason I'm following the rules is not because I'm worried about getting in trouble, I'm following the rules because I don't want to get sick or get anyone else sick. So, no I dont want to come to a "business meeting at my house but we all bring booze, as we cant have a party but business meetings are allowed".

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The Little Death posted:

Saying mitochondria are the powerhouses of the cell actually sort of obscures their function. Mitochondria produced the ATP that cell structures use to do work, but the energy release isn't in the mitochondria it's at the point of work when the ATP transfers a phosphate group to another molecule.

It always bothered me because it gives the impression that the mitochondria like a little hydroelectric dam producing energy that is radiated out to the rest of the cell structures but it's not. It's really more of a chemical converter that turns sugars into actually energy producing chemical.

If we're being picky about high school science simplifications; Hydroelectric dams dont produce energy either, they simply convert it from gravitational potential energy into electrical energy.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Almost certainly fictional, but funny anyway (thread):

https://twitter.com/KLobstar/status/1329777440173002757?s=20

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Captain Monkey posted:

I’d be more inclined to agree if his estate didn’t sue people who include silence in their songs.

As already pointed out, the one guy who got sued (Tory prick Mike Batt) literally credited John Cage as a songwriter on the silent track on his album, which is a loving stupid thing to do if you dont want to get sued for royalties by the person you are claiming co-wrote a song on your album. Unless there was a second musician who was sued I dont know about?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

xtal posted:

A brontosaurus is a huge flightless bird. This is inconclusive.

The science is far from settled on them being flightless btw. #teachthecontroversy

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

https://twitter.com/depressionfan93/status/1340939153068986368?s=20

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Shithouse Dave posted:

I have enormous problems with “lefty loosey, righty tighty “ for undoing screws and such. They’re round. When one side goes left, the other goes right! Why would you not just use clockwise and anticlockwise??

Because Lefty Loosey is alliterative, and righty tighty rhymes. Thats why, its to help people remember. There arent many good relevant rhymes for clockwise.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Captain Monkey posted:

Just casually making my whole church watch a snuff film of a guy they all know to show them the meaning of Christmas.

Wait til you see what he has planned for easter.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Griefor posted:

So a brown bear is really a brown brown?

The scientific name for the Brown Bear is Ursus Arctos, which translates as "Bear Bear".

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Captain Monkey posted:

Not at all, I've done big bike rides and they're really fun, though we did it in the country, and followed traffic laws, and it wasn't late at night around people's homes when they were trying to sleep. But I'm convinced that Critical Mass is not a legitimate protest group that pushes for real change, at least in the US.

Oh no, a protest group protested in a way people found inconvenient. When will they learn that protesting quietly in a way that people can easily ignore is the best way to achieve change. And at 10pm on a school night too. I hope, with time and a strong support network around you, you can begin to heal from this trauma.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Memento posted:

2004: Something Awful forums ban anime discussion

2020: a third of a million dead Americans

If only they'd banned it earlier, so many lives would have been saved.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

https://twitter.com/LettersOfNote/status/1346919146550865929?s=20

SiKboy has a new favorite as of 21:42 on Jan 6, 2021

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Memento posted:

I've worked at one bank and one financial services company and stepping away from your desk without hitting Win-L to lock your computer was a first-and-final warning offence at both. Expecting as little as that level of discipline from your elected representatives and their staff doesn't seem onerous. We trained 19-year-old call centre staff to do it, and they managed it fine.

And you used to do that while being evacuated because of armed insurgents attempting a coup? What a life you have led.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Josef bugman posted:

If 2021 is the year of the Shanty then I am going to be very pleased I've been listening to Stan Rogers for the last 5 months.

Me too! I'd literally never heard the song in my life and someone posted a tweet in this thread I didnt get, and I googled, found it was a reference to a song I didnt know, and its been periodically in my head ever since.

Vaguely related:

https://twitter.com/haydenmiller95/status/1349268933660925952?s=20

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1349641021475360770?s=20

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Its not on twitter yet, absolutely will be soon, possibly on TikTok haven't checked, but it is on YT.
Internet dramA pt. 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGQSRjpU4F8

It is now.

https://twitter.com/lubalin_vibe_co/status/1351262503091769354?s=20

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

FFT posted:

(sorry in advance)

Do elves even still know how to build things during the LotR time period? What are they gonna do, figuratively and literally squat in Bilbo's hobbit-hole?

I mean, that is fully in keeping with the concept of "Schitts creek but elves and hobbiton", its not like the Roses built a mansion in schitts creek, they moved into a motel.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Garrand posted:

I like Yakuza 7 but it does basically everything he's complaining about. There's a ton of cutscenes that were way long exposition on stuff that we've already been told before or figured out and I spent half the time thinking 'I could skip this but I don't want to miss anything new'. Then there's the fact that if you don't do a lot of the random bullshit like finding this homeless guys lobster, you're not going to be high enough level when you hit that super wall and just get stuck there.

In fairness though, Yakuza 7 (as do the previous games) goes out of its way to make sure that the protagonist is written as someone who would ABSOLUTELY set his own concerns aside to help a homeless man find his lobster, and there are large stretches of the main plot where what you are doing is important, but not urgent, so it doesnt seem ludicrous to take time out and do side stuff. Whereas in your grand theft autos you get kind of a "Why am I letting this guy bully/blackmail me into doing this loving fetch quest? I killed 15 cops on my way to this meeting, one more would barely be a blip." I will grant you that they did a poor job of tuning some of the fights (there are, as you mention, a couple of MAJOR difficulty spikes) but thats a failure of mechanics, not plot. And actually, if I remember correctly, doesnt the side stuff give you very little experience compared to running the fight arena or repeatable sewer dungeon? So actually if you didnt want to do the side story stuff (although, if you didnt, why on earth are you playing a yakuza game, thats half the appeal!) you could just do mechanical grinding in the battle arena or whatever.

I mean, the guy was long winded as hell, and twitter is a bad platform for any kind of long form writing, but his general point wasnt terrible. Its not that all games need an intricate plot, its that many games that claim to have an intricate plot and sell themselves on that basis often still have the writing as little more than an afterthought, rather than developing it alongside everything else, so that plot can inform gameplay and gameplay can inform plot.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Theres a short thread of images: https://twitter.com/moadore/status/1352739086386278402?s=20

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Knormal posted:

Why is Barney carrying a nightstick?

gently caress around, find out.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

A good rule of thumb continues to be; If a headline asks a question, the answer is probably "No.".

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Whybird posted:

From 0:20--0:40 is the most menacing drat lap dance I've seen.

I think its maybe third or fourth most menacing for me. I really need to sort my life out.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Who's the dude in the Stetson?

:bahgawd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Sure, the last million cyclist/driver derails on this website were drawn out tedious shouting matches between the dullest posters the forum has to offer, but I got a good feeling about this one. This time you'll finally persuade the other side that the rules you agree with in your country should be universal to the whole world, and its absolute on topic for the "Post your favourite tweets" thread to boot!

https://twitter.com/roastmalone_/status/1360778160057548800?s=20

SiKboy has a new favorite as of 19:02 on Feb 14, 2021