Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
https://twitter.com/cashbonez/status/1073538751404490754

https://twitter.com/rey_z/status/1066083461033799681

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
https://twitter.com/neoliberal_dad/status/1100239086936313856

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Is anyone else blocked by this account? I've never had an interaction with it, nor do I think I'm on any common block lists, at least any used by decent people.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
goons sincerely trying to defend the Beatles as objectively good because their music is "complex"... :allears:

when someone says they don't like the Mona Lisa, that's when I break out the ruler to objectively prove that it's good art

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

TheMaskedUgly posted:

I'm sad that someone would unironically feel this way about music
What a waste

i just think it's hilarious that some people get so annoyed that other people like different art from them that they try to "prove" the quality of the art they like with FACTS and LOGIC (tm)

fwiw i don't particularly enjoy Beatles on acid either, it's almost as if their music is less interesting in 2019 than it was in the 60s, and their status as the legendary best band ever is largely a product of boomer cultural hegemony

felch me daddy jr. has a new favorite as of 09:04 on Jul 1, 2019

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

TheMaskedUgly posted:

You're the guy who looks at a Mondrian and goes 'it's just some stripes and 3 colours you pretentious twats, the emperor has no clothes, i am very smart'

I very explicitly said that it's not a question of if you like the beatles; it's that if you can't differentiate them from contemporary pop, that is a failure on your part to identify the grammar and syntax of music; you reveal yourself to have an unrefined musical sense

Ah, if you think I'm one of those right-wing "art i don't understand is garbage" types then I get where you're coming from, but I can assure you that's not my stance. I just get easily annoyed by people who are snobby about art. No one here was saying there's literally no difference between Beatles and Bieber, just that they're part of the same genre, a genre which has evolved over time. You trying to extol the technical proficiency of the Beatles' work in an attempt to distance them from contemporary (aka bad) pop music does not meaningfully refute that, and seems to veer dangerously close to "technical complexity is the same as quality" territory.

Sorry about contributing further to the derail, I just watched Yesterday the other day.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

TheMaskedUgly posted:

Someone was literally directly equating Bieber and the Beatles

Saying that the Beatles were the Biebers of their era is first of all entirely accurate in many ways, and second not the same as saying their music is entirely the same.

quote:

The salient issue for me here is that the comparison to Bieber, and the general derogatory nature of the term 'pop-band' is essentially the idea that pop music is simple, unchallenging, lowest-common-denominator garbage, with minimal artistic value or integrity.

See, if you had been willing to challenge this assumption instead of uncritically accepting it and then carving out an exception for the Beatles I'd be completely on board. Uncritically agreeing that modern pop music (which for you seems to be interchangeable with Justin Bieber specifically) is garbage is exactly the kind of snobbery I take issue with. Who died and made you the arbiter of "artistic value"?

quote:

The beatles, by every measure I have that is not entirely subjective, are 'better' than any contemporary pop act

Why are you so insistent on finding objective measurements of quality of art?

quote:

It's not snobby to say there is a meaningful artistic difference between a Jackson Pollack, and me tripping and spilling paint on a canvas; if someone points at a Pollack and says 'my kid does that every day', that is not a mark against the art work, it is just the viewer revealing their ignorance of the craft.
This is a different question to 'do you like Pollack', or 'is Pollack good'.

Is modern pop music generally made by accident? Or is it made by literal children who are entirely ignorant about music? Do you really think so lowly of pop music producers?

Anyway, content that is also related to this discussion:

https://twitter.com/seanoneal/status/1095703685504614403

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm talking about how matter-of-fact they all are about her getting delusionally drunk.

getting hosed up can be fun, not every instance of recreational drug use is symptomatic of unhealthy usage patterns

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Ok, ive seen this in like 3 different places on the forums in the last month, wtf is up with hardcore lefties veering into literal spellcasting magic? Is it some greater internet thing that im not aware of? Is it Marianne Williamson? Is there a new strain of weed out?

Ask Alan Moore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1qACd0wHd0

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

...is this implying Stanley Kubrick was killed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

zoux posted:

Argh this is a decent joke

Heartbreaking: the worst head of state you know just made a decent joke.