Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I want them to actually make that Tony Hawk-focused Space Jam sequel, and make the driving point of the plot be finding increasingly convoluted situations for people to not believe they're actually talking to Tony Hawk.

Skateboarding can still happen too, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

zoux posted:

I'm all about the old classics. I'm glad to see the new ones and I've followed a bunch of new people based on this thread but I'd love to see more of peoples' all time favorites

Sadly, the account that originally tweeted this all-time classic has been shut down, but:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Tiggum posted:

What's it supposed to sound like? Because I'm not hearing it.

It's 'joke scold'. I think he's jokingly scolding people who are making obvious jokes, but reading his tweets I might not be 100% right.

I'm usually good at Twitter joke accounts but this is just a step beyond making total sense to me.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

christmas boots posted:

It's such a dumb premise for a movie. Now, if you suddenly found yourself in a world with no Weird Al, that's a movie.

Given that the Beatles didn't exist in the world of Yesterday, but all the Beatles-influenced music appears to, did Weird Al get to release Chicken Pot Pie?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Dale-Taco posted:

I hope Ursula is white as all hell so I get to see people get even more riled up about a children's movie.

There's rumor of her being played by Melissa McCarthy, so if that's happening, you're gonna have some fun.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
https://twitter.com/lewiswake/status/1154896109216706560

This entire thread is amazing, but my personal highlights:

https://twitter.com/lewiswake/status/1154930682822627328

https://twitter.com/lewiswake/status/1155369738295554048

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Macaulay Caulkin's a producer on the new Toejam and Earl game, and that's a combination of words that feels like the universe has somehow gone right for us all, just this once.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Negrostrike posted:

I think it's for the best. It reaches more viewers on Netflix and Nickelodeon is pretty much garbage nowadays.

It's more for this than the trans content (Nick's had some decent queer representation of late apparently). Nick's core audience isn't going to care about a movie based on a show from before they were born, and the people who want to see that movie aren't gonna watch Nick enough to know it's happening. The only audience you're gonna grab is young-ish parents seeing a promo incidentally while their kid's watching, it's much smarter to just sell distribution rights to a platform where that movie's audience definitely is.

They learned this when the Hey Arnold movie flopped; the audience exists, but won't be watching Nick for it. Also notable is that an Invader Zim movie's gone to Netflix at the same time, and that isn't being surprisingly progressive; it's just more Zim.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I don't know how I didn't see this in this thread when it was current, but here we go:

https://twitter.com/mikeabrusci/status/1150778501206872070

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Tiggum posted:

Look, I think we can all just agree that all Americans are wrong. It's not soda, pop or coke. It's soft drink.

In fact, it generalises further. Wherever Americans say a food-related thing is called something and other English-speaking countries call it something else, the Americans are wrong.

Entree? Main course.
Cilantro? Coriander.
Shrimp? Prawn.
Fries? Chips.
Chips? Crisps.
Candy? Lollies.
Broiler? Grill.
Grill? Barbecue.
Diner? Cafe.
350°? 180°.

It works in 100% of cases.

I still hate that Australia calls both the things you get at McDonald's, and the things that Lays' makes, chips.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
https://twitter.com/mo_writes/status/1164618209343004672

I'm definitely going to die of The Unpleasantness.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

FFT posted:

I'm "Mmmf"

Hot drat do I want to see the citation on that

The article is from June 2015?

The source article is apparently from The Toast: http://the-toast.net/2015/06/11/things-women-in-literature-have-died-from/

There's also another article of Things Men In Literature Have Died From, which isn't as good but is a distinctly different flavor of weird.

EDIT: Beaten, but I did find the other list.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

So for those of us who have no clue who Cole is, can you fill in a little more context about why this is funny?

Check out the whole thread of the original tweet for more. But in short: Cole's absolutely, 100% in no way someone known on social media as a dancer; he apparently used to write for The Onion's sister site Clickhole, which should give you an idea. They clearly got him on without knowing that, and so he spent the whole time loving with the show, being as bad as possible and making a whole bunch of his footage unusably weird and terrible.

They clearly wanted to get rid of him and basically make him the laughably bad guy that gets knocked out in the qualifiers after they realized he wasn't a dancer in any way. But he got through to land second place, basically on sheer commitment to the bit.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 12:38 on Aug 28, 2019

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
https://twitter.com/Tesco/status/1166832831324217345

Initial tweet isn't good. The replies, though, they're... they're goddamn something.

It's apparently a joke from a podcast, but wow, the CONSISTENCY.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm sure it's used that way sometimes, but I'm mucch more familiar with it from the perspectives of parents talking about their own kids. Usually by the same sorts of parents who don't trust the public school system and don't vaccinate their kids.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
https://twitter.com/pw3n/status/1170111225042063367?s=19

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
A quick check says that when he first started getting acting roles, Michael Fox was taken (by one of those people whose list of credits is pages long, but almost all of it one-episode roles on TV). He didn't want to be 'Michael, A Fox' so he went with J as a middle initial because of Michael J. Pollard.

For another famous example, David Tennant's real last name is Macdonald, but there was already a David Macdonald in the SAG.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 12:37 on Sep 10, 2019

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Puppy Time posted:

When you're a kid you're stuck in this bizarre world where grownups often do incredibly boring things for no clear reason, and will force you to go along, and it can be hard until, like, your teens to distinguish "normal absurd boring thing" from "unusually absurd boring thing."

Which is to say, those kids are dumb, but not to an unusual level for kids.

My parents really liked going to display houses when I was growing up. Never intended to buy them or build a new house or anything, they just went as, like, something to do on Sundays.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

I've just accepted at this point that 'parodies of absurdly specific character types in media' like this is my favorite type of tweet, and if anyone can provide more of them I'd love it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I think it's meant to be read as 'the hero of the battle of Kvatch', not 'the hero of the city of Kvatch'.

Although that's kinda thrown when the final title you get, Champion of Cyrodiil, is clearly meant to be read as 'the hero of the country of Cyrodiil' rather than 'the hero of the (nonexistent) battle of Cyrodiil'.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Maybe it's just American nurses that are lovely then

It might be one that varies by country, and requirements of certain professions cause things to shift around. One of the replies to the original tweet makes a very valid observation that in Australia the main future profession for female school bullies is hairdresser.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Eschenique posted:

Where I grew up we had Letterman and we had Leno and watching Letterman as a teenager was like pulling teeth.

I don't even think Letterman was for adults in the 90s. It was for people who were adults in the 70s.

I'm not convinced Letterman isn't some really elaborate gaslighting on the part of literally the entirety of pop culture. He's not funny, I've never seen him be remotely funny, and yet he has so much respect from people with actual talent who I love.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I know Van Halen only from a joke in Bill and Ted.

They should be more than happy with that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Amoeba102 posted:

How the hell does that picture contain sensitive material?

That's something set on a per-account basis, not a per-media basis. So that account's marked themselves as posting sensitive material.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Amoeba102 posted:

Set by the account getting mass reported, or the account giving CW itself?

I think you usually set it yourself, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was also something that Twitter could impose on someone.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
https://twitter.com/christianmccrea/status/1203589900051726336?s=19

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I guarantee that any company that's installing these toilets will conveniently have no handicapped employees to worry about.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Skwirl posted:

You have to be ADA compliant even if none of your employees are handicapped.

I still can't picture a world where this gets slapped down for something like that very quickly.

But in nicer news:

https://twitter.com/fwong/status/1207133773071929345?s=19

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
https://twitter.com/clown_depot/status/1209811975556845569?s=19

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

JoelJoel posted:

And people liked 50 first dates? Jesus

I remember it being interesting and having its moments, but being really horrible when you start thinking about it. Which is better than most Sandler.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Today I learned that Jeff VanderMeer's life sounds like the surreal and slightly unbelievable anecdotes characters tell in a Jeff VanderMeer novel.

https://twitter.com/jeffvandermeer/status/1210934404605976576?s=19

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I don't know what I'm looking at, but I feel like the moment someone explains it, I'm gonna hate it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Mierenneuker posted:

I mentioned The Sandlot because I’ve seen it referenced occasionally, but not to the extent of the other two. I guess it is an example of something that would/could be extremely NA.

Absolutely, given baseball doesn't really have a lot of cut-through as a sport outside the U.S.

The only American children's sports movies that I know had some proper airplay and recognition down here in Australia were The Mighty Ducks and Space Jam. It might've been just sheer marketing force in both cases, but it probably helped that hockey and basketball actually are sports that exist as common extracurriculars here.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Also, the concept of Christmas MoviesR is confusing to me, Home Alone was this movie that I watched as a kid, not part of an annual ritual like it is here.

This actually goes back to licensing rights. The notion of specifically airing 'classic Christmas movies' on TV in the US came from the fact It's A Wonderful Life and its ilk were cheap as poo poo to air. Which created a culture that they could then make more movies out of.

Even in other countries that celebrate Christmas, Christmas movies aren't really a 'thing'. A few of them hold in because they're just solid family movies that you can throw on at that time of year which is when you really need it (I know Home Alone and Elf are the big ones here, with The Santa Clause on the inside track because Tim Allen's humor is exactly mainstream Australia's), but there isn't really a Christmas Movie Culture.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

mind the walrus posted:

That is an especially good joke because it provokes all the "Actually :goonsay:" assholes to come out en masse

The best part is watching people try to raise exceptions to the tweet, only to have their exception get categorized as one of those three by pretty solid logic. Untitled Goose Game is effectively a Nintendo. XCOM is, yeah, a pretty apt metaphor for depression.

The only one I disagree with is someone who tried to class God of War as a depression metaphor, and not a Special Fighting Shootboy.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Dr Christmas posted:

“Nintendo” is, among other things, colorful silliness.

Old school Sonic is Nintendo.

I definitely class 'Nintendo' in this categorization as 'something my parents would call a Nintendo game instead of saying it's like Doom', so yeah, Jet Set Radio is definitely a Nintendo.

Not all sports games are Nintendos, however. You can make a decent case that most EA Sports annual titles are unwitting metaphors for depression.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ultrafilter posted:

https://twitter.com/adage/status/1221838083341111298

Apparently their plan was contingent on nobody famous dying in a roughly two week period. Good plan.

I feel like, even if they wouldn't have wanted to, specifically a major sports figure dying in an accident put the nail in the coffin.

You could get away with it easy if it's like, a beloved character actor dying of cancer. Major actor, musician or other public figure, then it'd start getting iffy, but as long as it was a peaceful death then you could probably swing it.

But a super big sports figure, dying in a tragic untimely accident just before you intend to air your funeral ad AT a major sporting event? You're done, you can't swing that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I had a friend who, when I said I got Skyrim, asked me to tell them when I met Paarthunax. All so that, after however long it took me until I did, they could say one word.

"Mario."

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

mind the walrus posted:

I think all but 2 or 3 after Symphony of the Night are Metroidvanias hth

There were some linear ones after Symphony, but not many, yeah.

Fun fact: the Metroidvania title originally came from someone trying to define the Castlevania games that were like Metroid, distinct from the linear ones, rather than the subgenre as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I looked at the replies and am just in tears at this one.

https://twitter.com/Mrnelly78/status/1232737606020083713

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 04:43 on Feb 27, 2020