Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Was this in response to something in particular in the UK?

Could be all kinds of things, but in the news recently has been the PM's majordomo breaking lockdown to drive his kids to their grandparents across the country when he suspected he and his wife were getting sick, and much of the cabinet are saying that was totally cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Crane Fist posted:

Who says chuffed off? Nobody says that!!!

"_____ed off" always means angry, no matter what the word in front means.

It also means a handjob, probably at the same time.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Bear in mind Mumsnet is primarily a website for young mothers to get advice, most of whom will be about our age.

It's only the people sticking around to talk politics that define the whole TERF direction.

Edit: Actually I think this was meant for the same discussion in another thread, which was questioning the usernames.

Tenebrais has a new favorite as of 18:33 on Jun 27, 2020

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Pilchenstein posted:

Actually they're almost certainly a genuine account, as comforting as it might be to believe that sinister forces are simultaneously controlling the entire public discourse with advanced propaganda techniques and too dumb to realise all their accounts have an obvious tell :umberto:

It's mainly just that those numbers are the default account name Twitter gives you. Most people will notice their name and change it to something more unique; bot nets are going to be weighing that against actually bothering to come up with unique names.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

christmas boots posted:

I’m guessing the audio is just a bunch of nonsense noise and your brain just latches on first association it can find (usually the word you’re looking at) to try and make sense of it.

It's not total nonsense, but it's ambiguous enough for your brain to fill in the gaps. "Green" and "brain" are similar sounds; the general hissing noise covers whether the next sound is an "ee" or a "ss", same for whether the last sound is "dle" or "tor".

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah it's a cool thought experiment but I feel pretty incredulous at it being an actual library of every single permutation of pixels.

According to the about page that would be 10961755 images. I can't even begin to grasp just how much disk space they would all occupy and how long it would take computers to generate them all.

For a sense of scale, there are somewhere around 1082 atoms in the universe, on the generous end.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Is there anything in discworld that isn't true?

The main societies in Discworld are run by competent people with their citizens' best interests at heart.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

zoux posted:

What's crazy is yall came up with all those variations in a space the size of montana

Most most of the UK's history, twenty miles was a day's travel. And these dialects have been brewing for a while!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It seems a pretty straightforward take on the death penalty, which was a political issue in the UK around the time Tolkein was writing.

I think one's general opinions on the death penalty aren't really applicable to the leaders of nations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Is this some kind of feeble pro racism thing?

Dr. Seuss' estate stopped publishing a half-dozen or so of his more racist books, because they were embarrassing in modern light.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

zakharov posted:

I am going to become a crank in the woods because of this poo poo. Why would anyone pay for this?

So you can sell it to a bigger fool.

It's how all speculation bubbles work. There's money to be made buying the foolish thing as long as you can sell it to a bigger fool. You're just gambling on not being the biggest fool who can't find anyone else still willing to buy and is stuck holding the bill for the whole enterprise.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Skwirl posted:

The only three I don't understand are "NORKS," "NUNGA" and "SMOO"

Norks is another word for tits, I know that one.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Also Brutalism is an originally French style that was popular across the world?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Braid (2008)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Neurion posted:

Am I allowed a melee weapon in these fights? Like can I pick up a branch and crack the goose over the back with it? I think the main advantage humans have in a fight is our ability to grasp and hold foreign objects. Pretty sure I could defeat a cat if I had a good cast iron frying pan.

I guess when you get down to it, humans aren't built for straight-up fights. What we lack in natural weapons we make up for in social brains, flexible grabby hands, and butts that don't quit.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Captain Monkey posted:

I just tried to find this by googling 'sex times at high comedy twitter' and, uh. It's harder to find than that.

Quote marks get you there

https://twitter.com/CBThorburn/status/1377696492295761923

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

some plague rats posted:

These are boring, sensible opinions that a normal person would have. Stop being reasonable and say something inflammatory, this is the place to gently caress about and have fun saying stupid poo poo you only semi believe

The earth/moon tattoo is amazing and I would gently caress anyone that has one

(if they wanted to)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's simple, you mint the bean as an NFT, then you plant the bean, and when it's fully grown you harvest the beans as eco-friendly crypto

(Honestly though I presume it's to make an as-accurate-as-possible record of these kind of beans that won't decay. Possibly useful for science. Or for future post-apocalyptic societies denied the simple joy of thinkin bout tho's beans.)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

He did the Brave thing, he did nothing.

That pretty much sums up modern political thought in a sentence

In making the decision that led to the maximum loss of life, he proved he was a Hard Man making Hard Decisions, and that's the important thing really

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

There is a core of that gang of british terfs that genuinely did come from the radical feminist movement; a bunch of middle-class white cis women who think anything that doesn't benefit middle-class white cis women is an insidious plot to destabilise the Cause.

But most people using their arguments are just garden-variety bigots.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The Cox-Zucker machine has been around for a while! It's a popular one alongside the Hairy Ball Theorem

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

christmas boots posted:

So would you reuse the tablets if you didn't need them anymore? Like smooth out the clay and rewrite it?

Is there some kind of ancient sumerican sitcom plot where someone breaks into someone's house to edit an unflattering tablet they accidentally sent to someone before they can read it?

That's exactly what you'd do! And that has probably happened in ancient Sumer at some point.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Pilchenstein posted:

Didn't CAD lad start his own convention too?

Yeah, there was some footage from it in the HBomberguy video where he talked about CAD. Don't know if it ran more than once though. Or if it had anything to do in it other than hail Tim Buckley.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

That building definitely contained several clips of spare ammunition and an audio log. Probably a medkit too.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Lobok posted:

What hole is Robin Hood sticking it in? Did he open up one of Frankenstein's seams?

Edit: Frankenstein's monster's seams

Frankenstein only has one of his hands on the floor. That's some attention to detail.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

Hard Times and their affiliated sites have some good headlines occasionally but their articles are uniformly weak.

Has there ever been a parody news site that isn't like this?

Other than ones that don't even have occasional good headlines.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Starting back from 10 or 12 or so would be more tempting. All the chances to do something differently with those embarrassing things you did as a teen without having to go through primary school again.

Once you catch back up do you get to make the choice again? Can you just live a loop of ages six through ~30 forever? Wouldn't be the worst fate in the world.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

What's the point of peeling and boiling the potatoes if you're not then going to mash them? Honestly.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Philippe posted:

A frot fracas

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

why don't you just call it "magic obsidian" instead of using a word that means something entirely different? also, why are you making weapons and armor out of an incredibly brittle and weak substance? maybe try magic bronze or magic steel. Otherwise your magic obsidian breastplate is going to magically shatter and magically impale you with a thousand magically jagged magically sharp magical shards and you will magically die.

The equivalent tier of light armour is literally called Glass. I don't think Elder Scrolls really cares what their armour names imply for real-life materials.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

some plague rats posted:

The other thing driving the overreactions was that they kept getting banned and probed because for some reason the tumblr weirdos who signed up to read the anime murder game thread just could not act normal

Is that where "intriguingly moe" came from or was that just some goon being a goon

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm not used to sight-reading music so this took me a bit to figure out

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Atticus_1354 posted:

What do those guys do on a daily basis? Are they fulltime funny walkers or do they have other duties that fill a regular 9-5 schedule?

I don't know about that ceremony specifically but beefeaters are a part of the military so they presumably get up to whatever career soldiers do in peacetime.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Beeswax posted:

Some real From Software poo poo

Knowing the massive golden mace is invested with the literal power of the Queen does nothing to help this

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Quid is their awful, gross slang word for a pound, similar to "bucks" for dollars

It's Roman slang originally - latin for "whatever", for when you are dealing in weird provincial currencies you don't care to learn the name of.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Benstar posted:

It's always kind of fascinating how whenever the subject turns to Shakespeare or pre 1950 works in general, hordes of posters will rise up to talk about how deeply affected they were by their highscool English teacher not being very good

It's a huge amount of people's only exposure to Shakespeare, so that tracks, really. It's mostly people helping each other figure out why it's such a cultural icon when all they know of it is a bunch of bored teenagers reading out lines they don't understand with no context.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

Its almost as crazy as believing some illiterate briton rando who never saw the inside of a schoolhouse in his life wrote dozens of plays a year with specific expertise information on several fields based on a life of travel and experience beginning in his 20s. We have to assume he was real and had magic powers.

Honestly I can understand why literature nerds would struggle with the concept of having friends who might share their experiences with you

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Stereotype posted:

if it acts as a deterrent to bad behavior i don't see why forcing people to use whatever pronoun makes them the most unhappy would be any worse for human rights than even any individual part of our current criminal justice system

I don't think people on Something Awful respecting their pronouns or not is going to affect what Ezra Miller does one way or the other

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

There were a few tracks in Sonic 3's music that got changed mysteriously whenever it was ported or rereleased. They had some distinctive audio cues in them.
The fanbase caught onto this and did some digging. They found both that Sega at the time had some connections to some people who worked for Michael Jackson's record label and that several of these tracks had musical similarities to some MJ songs.
"Michael Jackson worked on Sonic 3" has been one of those bits of fan lore that people discussed and debated for years and years. It seems like a ridiculously high-profile thing to keep totally secret, and yet any time evidence about it came up it seemed to point that way.

Today, the director of Sonic 3 just casually mentions they were Michael Jackson's songs in a tweet. No one is surprised, it just seems like one of those things everyone involved intended to take to their graves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

There's five, they just fell in