Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

Anyone remember where to find a certain animated Twitter video of a stock photo bedsheet ghost antagonizing a bunch of stock photo people set to spooky video game-y music that someone posted earlier this year? Please and thank you.

This one?

https://twitter.com/_SrPelo_/status/1148062219021803521?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

jojoinnit posted:

Yes they type with an accent and I'm not joking

E: shoulda refreshed

It's not really that, it's typing the only way they use the words. If you've said bawbag all your life you're hardly likely to suddenly spell it ballbag on twitter.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

Just do it. This forum could use some local color. Or colour, in your language

Everyone does it really, we just tend to normalise American ones, Mam is no different from Mom.

Also most of these scottish twitter ones are West Coast, East Coast of Scotland speak differently.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

zakharov posted:

In Canada and some other countries, when you pay at a restaurant they bring the credit card machine to you rather than taking your card away. This really threw off my rhythm the first time I visited Canada.

Out of interest does anyone know what the rate of card fraud is in the US? I mean apart from it being faster and more convenient it means I never give my card to anyone so there's no chance of cloning there.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I'm calling it implausible. Hendrix was a paratrooper in the US Army based in Seattle at the time. No way he was in a NY house band at the same time.

It's plausible that Joe Pecsi played in the band, he was very much in and around the music scene in NY and NJ at that time.

Aramoro has a new favorite as of 08:41 on Dec 12, 2019

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Yoshi Wins posted:

This is the first time I'm hearing the words "wine cave." I'm not an expert on wine caves. You might even say that I'm a wine cave novice.

But I think a wine cellar is a storage room for wine, and this looks like it's a place to drink wine.

Wine Cave is used quite a bit in Europe when they mean a literal cave. Usually a huge cellar used by a winery for storing wine before selling it, not by people for their wine collections.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

zedprime posted:

:thunk:

Lot of mental gymnastics there to 1. not admit Uncle Al wasn't a cool mafia man and just had access to stolen carpet, and 2. not admit academia isn't so desperate for infrastructure they were ready to accept carpet installation as a bribe

I was waiting for the plot twist that Uncle Al sold carpets. Also everyone knows the Mob don't make tempting offers, they make offers you cannot refuse.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Crowetron posted:

Ah, yes, Vlad "The Impaler" Dracule, famous for not killing people.

The gently caress is wrong with your brain other than a terminal case of the "well actually's"

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Rossetti knew the truth about wombats clearly

Aramoro has a new favorite as of 15:47 on Jan 13, 2020

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I think JJ just watched Ronin too many times and loves the mystery box.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Samovar posted:

Hell, this is the first time I've even heard of the Sandlot.

:same:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Why are people suggesting rating this guy 1 star?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I just looked this up, Throgs Neck is a real place???

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

My Spirit Otter posted:

5G is code for coronavirus and shes into qanon, isnt she?

She is unbelievably stupid. She wrote a book about the oppression of gay men in England and brought up a case of a man who was sentenced to death for a consensual homosexual relationship with a...*checks notes*... 6 year old boy? Also he wasn't executed as she just didn't understand the court records.

The interview where the interviewer points these things out is one of the most brutal owns ever recorded.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

What’s her deal exactly

Uk politics don’t make sense to me

Don’t even have gun violence

Naomi Wolf is American, I think that answers all your questions?

She's written a few really shoddily written books designed to appeal to the Liberal elite in general, about gay rights, feminism, abortion etc usually wildly factually inaccurate.

Not that we didn't oppress gay people then, we totally did. We just didn't execute them for it.

Academia is real sham here though as she got her doctorate from Oxford for the paper her book was based on that couldn't stand up to the scrutiny of a BBC light entertainment programme.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1264947978571259905

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

thank god for this caption, i found it impossible to listen to the video for even a second and i was resigned to never knowing what it's deal actually was.

Nah you need to listen to it so you can hear her voice cracking on the verge of tears because she didn't get her McMuffin

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

zoux posted:

Door Dash hosed up my order the other day and left off a burrito, probably because I'm a white straight male

I look forward to your youtube series detailing how Door Dash are victimising you for your beliefs.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Enoch Root posted:

The concept of you not knowing the convenience of a central vac blows my mind! I mean I grew up with it so I am obviously biased (and Canadian to boot) but, really you just take the hose to the room/s you want to clean and just go hog wild

What about carpets though? Do they have a beater bar in the hose?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

christmas boots posted:

Explain to me how Gorusch works again. I know he’s one of the conservative judges but is this one of those things where his particular judicial ideology occasionally leads him out of orthodoxy?

He seems to very much be a letter of the law kinda guy, which is always going to have mixed results.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Having known a bunch of pagans in real life I somehow think tumblr witches are probably about as representative of the community at large as tumblr Star Wars fans are of people who really like Star Wars.

The Netflix Babysitters Club show had witches in it.

All pagans are loving nuts. They just made up their entire faith system out of whole cloth because some Victorians wanted to cosplay as druids for a laugh.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

skyelevator posted:

I went to an invite only pagan festival in the uk, and it was poo poo.

Paganism is an excuse for middle class white folk to prance about and pretend they're special without having to go to church.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Danaru posted:

In hindsight that seems pretty obvious :frogdunce: I'm just not cut out to be a pirate

More specifically in this case it means 'your' time is running out because if you can see this flag we're gonna get you. Bleeding heart means slow and painful death, naked pirate means they're shameless etc.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

wizzardstaff posted:

If they were truly shameless then those flags would have a lot more genitals. Give me penis pirates!

Drawings and paintings of female pirates did usually contain a lot of pirate titty so it seems only fair.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Icke is my favorite crazy dangerous conspiracy theorist, because he gets angry at people who interpret 'lizard people' as a code for Jews, or the Illuminati, or the Deep State or stuff like that. No, he actually worries about literal lizard people.

I'm still not sold on that entirely, it could be he protests that no they're actual literally lizards so he can continue his grift. I mean he's a genuinely antisemite so not sure he's worth giving the benefit of the doubt.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Is this your account or something? An orphan tweet without so much as a single like.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The reply guys on this are amazing, my personal favourite being the 'Well actually tyres spin not rotate on an axle'

Why are people acting like you're instantly going ot die if you don't do this as well? I have never rotated my tyres in 20 years of driving, I don't know anyone who has either.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Memento posted:

Do you take your car anywhere to have it serviced? Because it's pretty standard that they would do that for you.

I get my cars serviced and MOT'd every year and no garage has ever done this. Maybe it's a super secret service they offer to dad's?

Yes your drive tyres wear down more quickly, but then just get 2 more tyres? The amount of wear on your tyres ends up being exactly the same. If you could only buy tyres in sets it might make sense but you don't.

Aramoro has a new favorite as of 08:45 on Sep 16, 2020

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

luxury handset posted:

on the one hand, everyone manually driving a car needs to show diligence where the 'safety driver' of this uber vehicle failed to do so

on the other hand, many people manually driving cars do not show this same diligence, and the level of adherence to safety standards will plummet in the case of any mass adoption of supposed self driving cars, so...

i guess it all depends on how much you trust barely regulated corporations to look out for the public's best interest

It's worth pointing out that the Uber self driving car here failed in it's task utterly. There were fundamental flaws in the programming of the car which lead to the crash, this is 100% a case of corporate homicide due to negligence on Uber's part.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I mean yeah yeah should have been in control. Except it's a self driving car, they're being marketed and sold as self-driving cars. Uber are telling people explicitly to let the car drive itself. Now they're turning round saying 'well obviously she should have had the car under control in exactly the way we told her not to' . Then you get all the big brains on the internet defending them with 'well I was always taught to never let an AI drive the car, she was totally at fault here'

This is despite the fact the car was programmed to not recognise pedestrians not on a cross walk and it miss identified the pedestrian multiple times, switching between 2 choices. Every time to switched what it thought it was it threw away all the previous data and started working out if it was going to crash again, right up until it hit her.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/JohnFinnemore/status/1310840522978795521?s=20

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

number 1 snake fan posted:

It's called Scots English, dunno what you can't understand

Do not associate us with Northeners.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Son of Rodney posted:

I refuse to believe that's real, every one except for roll sounds made up.

It's not. A Bridie is a meat pie, like hand pie Americans might call them? A Buttery would not be considered a roll by any same person either.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

zoux posted:

What's crazy is yall came up with all those variations in a space the size of montana

It's to do with how hard it was to travel in the past. The Island of Lewis and Harris is one physical island but it was so hard to get from on side to the other they treated them as separate places. They spoke different dialects of gaelic etc.

By the time we colonised America transport was much easier and moving around was the point of going there in the first place. If you grew up in the Highlands why would you bother to go to Lincolnshire or something? But in the US it was all about discovering the 'undiscovered' and the population we sent there was a lot more homogeneous as a whole. You get a lot more variation on the later influxes of population who went to live there, the Irish, Swedes, Germans etc who have strong communities in specific states and areas. So you have the variation state to state that we have glen to glen almost.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

i'm pretty sure if you pulled 10 random people, none of them would be able to tell you what it says but they would all know it's japanese and one or two might know it's "the easier kind of japanese."

I'm pretty sure if you surveyed 100 randos then under 10 would know there was such a thing as easier Japanese. I would agree out of 10 they would all at least guess Japanese, but also Chinese and if youre lucky some horrifically racist guessing.

I'm afraid you're weebness has coloured your view of the world.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Natalie Hayes is absolutely tremendous, if you like the classic check out her Natalie Hayes Stands Up for the Classics series.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/WillDHislop/status/1326188216119123968?s=20

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Skwirl posted:

She was like 14 when she was shipped from austria to france to marry Louis the I can't remember what number, and the marriage had been negotiated when she was single digits in age. Of the choices she could possibly have made for herself, marrying the future king of france was absolutely not one of them.

Her mother dispatched her brother to go tell her how to bang because they were not producing children and the suspicion was they didn't know how.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, child bride/human trafficking victim is a decent description of Marie Antoinette.

Maria Theresa crushed it on her Crusader Kings 3 play through. 2 Holy Roman Emperors, Queen of France, Queen of Naples and whole bunch of Dukes and Duchesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Don't they have a loving thing where you can buy a house and still have to pay rent to someone?

Leasehold is mostly abused by faceless corporations if that's any consolation.