Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

pospysyl posted:

How can he be the founder of Hydra when we literally see Red Skull found Hydra in Captain America?

Because Hydra had existed since like 10000 BC and has taken many forms, cut off one head etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Because Hydra had existed since like 10000 BC and has taken many forms, cut off one head etc

Agents of Shield sounds impossibly bad. I could not imagine a stupider show. At least the Minions movie had a good sense to say that the minions never worked for Hitler.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

pospysyl posted:

Agents of Shield sounds impossibly bad. I could not imagine a stupider show. At least the Minions movie had a good sense to say that the minions never worked for Hitler.

Eh it’s comic book-silly but it was done pretty well. His group was a powerful but fringe element of modern HYDRA that essentially worshipped an inhuman. Most of the rest of HYDRA thought he was nuts.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I presumed that was HYDRA the whole time and that gets revealed in Winter Soldier.

But...what authority do they have? How did they end up with enough authority to nuke the biggest city in the world?

A cursory glance at some inane wiki says its job is to control SHIELD, with politicians from some of the most powerful countries in the world, but how much authority does SHIELD have? Where's the chain of command? Is SHIELD a global unit or an american one? Did the POTUS not have a say in this? Was he informed? Why the gently caress did we have a council instead of just having Obama or Bush or w/e push the drat button?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

McCloud posted:

Hey, what the gently caress is up with the secret illuminati people in Avengers 1? You know, the dudes that pushed the button on nuking new york?

That was Hydra, they were throughly destroyed in Age of Ultron, and Winter Soldier. I think the explanation for Hydra in the MCU, was that they have infiltrated all levels of government, but the Avengers outing them and destroying their connection with the Avengers pretty much destroys all of their power. SHIELD seemed to have a massive amount of power over the world, but I don't remember this being explained really? SHIELD no longer existed after Winter Soldier though, Captain America crashed a giant flying aircraft carrier into its headquarters.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 11, 2019

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

McCloud posted:

But...what authority do they have? How did they end up with enough authority to nuke the biggest city in the world?

A cursory glance at some inane wiki says its job is to control SHIELD, with politicians from some of the most powerful countries in the world, but how much authority does SHIELD have? Where's the chain of command? Is SHIELD a global unit or an american one? Did the POTUS not have a say in this? Was he informed? Why the gently caress did we have a council instead of just having Obama or Bush or w/e push the drat button?

It could be too that SHIELD had their own private nuclear arsenal. With the way Fury viewed the importance of SHIELD up to Winter Soldier, along with their massive resources, I would not be surprised.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Joker movie looks actually more interesting every time I see it.

They should call it Joker: The Apology as it's clearly that for whatever the gently caress Jared Leto was doing.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

pospysyl posted:

Quite the reverse of that actually. It started clunky as hell but a lot of the reason is everything leading up to the last 6 episodes of the 1st season was pretty much entirely bullshit. The show got vastly, vastly better after that and it's actually really good. Characters actually get a lot of development and it's one I'd recommend.. but you need to be aware the first like 17 episodes are not representative of the show later on.

That said a lot of those early episodes are much better in hindsight. There's one episode that almost made me quit the show because of how stupid a character seemed to be acting and a love triangle romance plot and both got flipped on their head so hard it exploded a few episodes later; turns out the character wasn't even being dumb given the goals revealed shortly afterwards.

I'd say some of the fight choreography is on par with the good the Netflix stuff too. By season 3 it's really drat polished.

ED: Just in case anyone who's seen the show isn't sure what the gently caress I was talking about being vague:
I'm talking about the plot where Ward is told about a mind control alien and to wear hearing protection, then immediately takes it off and walks right up. It's the same episode where he reveals he loves Skye despite banging May. When it turns out Ward is a hydra sociopath that's pretty much off the deep end obsessed with Skye and is loving May only so she doesn't pay attention to him loving over the rest of SHIELD, him walking up to a monstrous alien and trying to be it's buddy also makes sense: he's trying to recruit her to join Hydra.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 11, 2019

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Blazing Ownager posted:

They should call it Joker: The Apology as it's clearly that for whatever the gently caress Jared Leto was doing.

Why would DC apologise for having Jared Leto rule and kick rear end?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Renoistic posted:

I'm going to add 'woke washing' to the same pile I put 'SJW'. Oh no a company did a mildly positive thing and spins it oh no better complain for twenty pages

There was nothing loving positive about Black Panther.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's pretty funny that Agents of Shield seems to have gone with a very lam version of Hydra instead of going full "Shield Civil War between LEonardo Da Vinci and Isaaw Newton under the Vatican".

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

josh04 posted:

Why would DC apologise for having Jared Leto rule and kick rear end?

Especially when he didn't rule or kick rear end?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

graham cracker posted:

Especially when he didn't rule or kick rear end?

Sorry but the man was iconic.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Sorry but the man was iconic.

An icon for what though?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

graham cracker posted:

An icon for what though?

Hot Topic t-shirts

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

graham cracker posted:

An icon for what though?

Young girls, and the boys they want to date. Sorry that you're old and not cool anymore

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Just jumping in to say someone mentioned Speed Racer in the ‘18 thread and I hadn’t seen it since I was 17 but god drat that movie rules. I wish the MCU had the balls to engage with its source material without winking at them camera the way speed racer does

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

DeimosRising posted:

Young girls, and the boys they want to date. Sorry that you're old and not cool anymore

LOL this dude thought I used to be cool at some point in time. Let's all LAUGH at him!

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Leto Joker was a fun side character in a movie some expected to be more about him than it was.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I Before E posted:

Leto Joker was a fun side character in a movie some expected to be more about him than it was.

Yeah. I liked the character, but he makes a small part of it that I was never able to get a strong reaction to him one way or the other.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Leto Joker was just the modern equivalent of a grown man dressed as a clown robbing banks and freaking the squares in the 40's.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Yet to see Suicide Squad so I can’t comment on Leto joker but a massive inexplicable change in appearance and characterization at the drop of a hat between issues feels almost too authentically a comics thing to actually make it into one of these movies

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

graham cracker posted:

An icon for what though?

Gamers, the most oppressed minority.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DeimosRising posted:

Young girls, who Leto wants to date. Sorry that you're old and not cool anymore

Fixed

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Hahahahaha this is beautiful

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My favorite part is the Ancient Gamers being from the early 2000s.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It’s funny that a group of people who are trying to come off as cool and edgy, are afraid to write the word poo poo.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Snowman_McK posted:

There was nothing loving positive about Black Panther.

Good thing I didn't mention BP then. Nice job putting words in my mouth though!

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Oasx posted:

It’s funny that a group of people who are trying to come off as cool and edgy, are afraid to write the word poo poo.

This is, in fact, part of the gag

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

graham cracker posted:

An icon for what though?

For the same thing as everything else that's being called iconic these days.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

We stan a damaged queen

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The best part for me is that you can literally play as Leto Joker in PUBG, they've got licensed character models for him and Harley that cost £25 each.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

josh04 posted:

The best part for me is that you can literally play as Leto Joker in PUBG, they've got licensed character models for him and Harley that cost £25 each.

Lol

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Punisher s2 : is that really the extent of jigsaw’s scars? Laaaaaaaaaaame.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Punisher s2 : is that really the extent of jigsaw’s scars? Laaaaaaaaaaame.

For reference: the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrLhP5sK2wI

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

So Snyder took a break from spreading objectivist propaganda to make a Twitter post

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/1083511349915701248?s=19

Closer look at the t-shirt

https://twitter.com/Theos_Unfeeling/status/1083487131606155264?s=19

The shirt seems to have plenty of hints about the directions he was gonna take JL and JL 2 in

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Well, most of that is masonry stuff and other things. The broken chain is a suicide prevention thing, and I don’t think it’s a big revelation that Snyder’s ideas probably had Darkseid making omega symbols. It doesn’t really have any secret codes or anything on it, it’s just an over complicated and ugly design. But it’s for a good cause, so gently caress it, y’know?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Page 2 and people are already going to bat for Leto Joker, eh?

I'll admit I still think he could do right by the character and I'd be willing to give him a second shot, but Suicide Squad was not it. Probably by no fault of his own, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

The biggest revelation is that Lois was supposed to be pregnant, Bats takes a bullet for her in JL 2 while capping Darkseid, and Lois and Clark naming the kid Bruce.