Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

pospysyl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrdvVn5frFw

wtf is this? Is this supposed to be a clip from the actual movie?

My god

That might be the worst thing I've seen in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Still looks better than Apocalypse. Though I've noticed some weird trend where people release movie clips and then halfway through the clip it suddenly goes into a trailer? Otherwise that video seemed perfectly average to me? What's so bad about it?

edit: vv I immediately agree with that. I'm also not defending the trailer, I'm just curious why its the worst thing ever when previous trailers have been way worse.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 22, 2019

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

For starters, their costumes.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Still looks better than Apocalypse.

I mean, I feel like at least Apocalypse upped the ante with its big Quicksilver slow-mo rescue scene. This seemed like the exact opposite of that, making it super short and kind of pointless. Not that this will be his only set-piece, but as a clip used to advertise the movie it's ultimately pointless since it has neither tension nor anything really visually interesting happening.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Those costumes make everyone look fat. What the hell.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I wish they would adapt Grant Morrison's New X-Men. If they made the costumes look more textured and leather it'd be right on the money.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Guy A. Person posted:

I mean, I feel like at least Apocalypse upped the ante with its big Quicksilver slow-mo rescue scene. This seemed like the exact opposite of that, making it super short and kind of pointless. Not that this will be his only set-piece, but as a clip used to advertise the movie it's ultimately pointless since it has neither tension nor anything really visually interesting happening.

It also looks like it has the production design of a fan film (what the gently caress is that hangar, it looks like they threw a green screen up in the studio lobby) and that music is bafflingly awful, everyone's lit like they're in an office building... plus the costumes.

Plus remember this is a $200 million movie

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 22, 2019

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The Cameo posted:

It also looks like it has the production design of a fan film (what the gently caress is that hangar, it looks like they threw a green screen up in the studio lobby) and that music is bafflingly awful, everyone's lit like they're in an office building... plus the costumes.

Plus remember this is a $200 million movie

I like to imagine your avatar just watched the clip.

".......WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?!"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Firstborn posted:

I wish they would adapt Grant Morrison's New X-Men. If they made the costumes look more textured and leather it'd be right on the money.

I'm sure you know, but the New X-Men bubble jackets and motorcycle leathers are inspired by the first X-Men film.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

One of the low key weirdest things about this movie is that Michael Fassbender is supposed to be a Holocaust survivor in the 1990's? Like, is he supposed to be in his 60's or something?

And I guess the next few years are about to be real rough, because he's gonna start looking like Ian McKellan.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Part of his and Xavier's mutations are that they age inconsistently.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

thrawn527 posted:

One of the low key weirdest things about this movie is that Michael Fassbender is supposed to be a Holocaust survivor in the 1990's? Like, is he supposed to be in his 60's or something?

And I guess the next few years are about to be real rough, because he's gonna start looking like Ian McKellan.

It's because they got too lazy to age people in this series but kept moving it forward a decade for reasons.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

pospysyl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrdvVn5frFw

wtf is this? Is this supposed to be a clip from the actual movie?

Lmao at the like and subscribe thing that pops up when nothing interesting is happening.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
For some reason the special effects in that trailer look kind of meh. Sort of like what you'd expect from a high end basic cable show rather than something with movie money behind it.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I for one think it's nice they're using a fan film to promote the new movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm sure you know, but the New X-Men bubble jackets and motorcycle leathers are inspired by the first X-Men film.

That movie was in the right.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

thrawn527 posted:

yeah but i mean....who gives a poo poo? theyre both phenomenal & wasted actors.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Guy A. Person posted:

It's not even as interesting as the season 1 scene of Flash where he rescues a bunch of people from a tumbling train car, something that didn't even happen in space.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

McSpanky posted:

It's not even as interesting as the season 1 scene of Flash where he rescues a bunch of people from a tumbling train car, something that didn't even happen in space.

Well, now I want to see the Flash go on Galaxy Express 999.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Bogus Adventure posted:

For some reason the special effects in that trailer look kind of meh. Sort of like what you'd expect from a high end basic cable show rather than something with movie money behind it.

Perhaps the same could be said of all X-Men films (that aren't X2: X-Men United).

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
My hope is that the eventual MCU reboot of the X-men presents the X-men as a sort of democratization of superheroes. Like there is something actually thematically interesting about the idea of mutants because the MCU has been very defined by the notion of very select extraordinary people. What does it mean when there are thousands or millions of people who are on the same level as the Avengers?

So, the X-men aren't wearing costumes or using codenames because they're a paramilitary organization, but because it's sort of an extrapolation of the precedents already set up by Captain America and Spider-Man. You call yourself Cyclops and walk around in a head sock because that's what someone with optic blasts does. It's superheroics as culture which has always been an idea sort of bubbling under the surface of X-men and I think it would justify just having fun with the costumes.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Firstborn posted:

We have Happy! and Doom Patrol on that both own their Morrison influences. I'll sacrifice New X Men for that, especially since First Class is as close as we could ever get in the current film landscape, sadly.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Neo Rasa posted:

Perhaps the same could be said of all X-Men films (that aren't X2: X-Men United).

I thought First Class and Days of Future Past were pretty decent :shrug:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Darko posted:

We have Happy! and Doom Patrol on that both own their Morrison influences. I'll sacrifice New X Men for that, especially since First Class is as close as we could ever get in the current film landscape, sadly.

Doom Patrol is a delight.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

I swear to God, are we getting another 'Quicksilver runs fast whilst everyone else is slowed down' scene? Jeez, can't they think of anything else for this guy to do?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

He could die.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

pospysyl posted:

Part of his and Xavier's mutations are that they age inconsistently.

To fit the comics, they were turned into babies between movies

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

stratofarius posted:

I swear to God, are we getting another 'Quicksilver runs fast whilst everyone else is slowed down' scene? Jeez, can't they think of anything else for this guy to do?

He could gently caress his sister but they're probably saving that bit of source material

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

stratofarius posted:

To be fair, it's Quicksilver, what else CAN he do?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

CityMidnightJunky posted:

To be fair, it's Quicksilver, what else CAN he do?

Be Quick Albino Namor.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

McSpanky posted:

Yeah it's just conceived and shot in the most boring way possible. The ship could be already in chaos with stuff floating around for him to navigate, but it's literally just "he moves them from their seats toward the dude who is going to teleport them" without anything cool or interesting to look at, or even using the zero Gs to invert some of the landscape. It's sooooo boring.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Ammanas posted:

yeah but i mean....who gives a poo poo? theyre both phenomenal & wasted actors.

Oh it doesn't matter, I just find it funny.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah. Also, with no Wolverine to have a hairshirt, what's the point?

Some artists got real chesthairy about it.
I don't particularly like the roster of this new movie, either. I think we're in the climate where they could do like... an unironic straight Jim Lee era X-Men with Cyclops in a blue leotard with the goofy yellow chestbelt, Gambit in pink and a headdress, Rogue calling people "shugah" in half a bomber jacket... the whole thing. Make it a 90's period piece. It'd be a better send-off.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 23, 2019

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Spacebump posted:

It's because they got too lazy to age people in this series but kept moving it forward a decade for reasons.

Yeah this was also such a weird decision. Some series have problems with their younger cast aging too quickly when a few years has to be stretched out over nearly a decade of sequel production. Meanwhile, they are inventing a problem where they jump forward a decade every time while not changing the cast. They've aged 30 years in less than 10 real real world years and jacked up the whole idea that this was going to connect to the movies from the early 2000s.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Firstborn posted:

I don't particularly like the roster of this new movie, either. I think we're in the climate where they could do like... an unironic straight Jim Lee era X-Men with Cyclops in a blue leotard with the goofy yellow chestbelt, Gambit in pink and a headdress, Rogue calling people "shugah" in half a bomber jacket... the whole thing. Make it a 90's period piece. It'd be a better send-off.

I have to agree with this, I assumed they were building up to that with First Class and Days of Future Past but I guess not. Like Mystique's weird cocktail dress/evil witch look, the word tithe having like five syllables whenever Gambit says it, all that era of stuff would have owned for a final flick. Like, Logan was a loving awesome movie, they did it, they made a "this is a really good movie not just a good comic book movie" movie, just go crazy with this one.

Totally different company, but I respected that in the Aquaman movie, all of the Atlantean outfits were basically what their outfits from like the 60s straight up with just some more contemporary colors.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Firstborn posted:

Yeah. Also, with no Wolverine to have a hairshirt, what's the point?

Some artists got real chesthairy about it.

He went the full Robin Williams hairsuit in some versions

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Razor Ramon styles.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Vintersorg posted:

Razor Ramon styles.

THANK YOU! I couldn't remember his name. It was driving me nuts, but I thought the same thing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's probably just as well that Disney has the chance to put the X-men movies out of their misery.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
this movie looks so bad I'm scanning everything to find where they put the Canon Films logo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Brightburn is a nasty little horror movie with some real :psypop: gore. It's not just "bad kid" Superman, it's loving serial killer tween Superman. And it's played completely straight.