Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

sean10mm posted:

Brightburn is a nasty little horror movie with some real :psypop: gore. It's not just "bad kid" Superman, it's loving serial killer tween Superman. And it's played completely straight.

But is he an evil little boy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

sean10mm posted:

Brightburn is a nasty little horror movie with some real :psypop: gore. It's not just "bad kid" Superman, it's loving serial killer tween Superman. And it's played completely straight.

That sounds like something I would really enjoy. I just IMDB'd it and saw it stars Elizabeth Banks, so I'm sold.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFDDm88hxfY

Also, ouch. “Hellboy” Closes Theatrical Run With Just $22M

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Bogus Adventure posted:

That sounds like something I would really enjoy. I just IMDB'd it and saw it stars Elizabeth Banks, so I'm sold.

It's a straight horror movie that plays up on "what if Goku didn't hit his head and become nice when he came to earth?"

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I’m still pissed about this. They hyped it up so much as more like the comics (which are gothic and weird and cool) and instead delivered “Del Toro Hellboy but worse”

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Frankly the comics are also Del Toro Hellboy but worse, imo

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Not a lie

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Blast Fantasto posted:

I’m still pissed about this. They hyped it up so much as more like the comics (which are gothic and weird and cool) and instead delivered “Del Toro Hellboy but worse”

I understand why they went in a new direction but it was such a fuckin' dumb idea. The audience they'd created with the first two films didn't give a poo poo about making the films conform closer to the comics, they wanted new adventures of Ron Perlman & friends.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I like the Del Toro Hellboys, but the initial run of comics is great

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Very astute

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

sean10mm posted:

What's the backstory/larger universe like? I'm not going to get a chance to see it in cinemas so spoil it all for me, please?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

How do you figure? They’re barely similar

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

What's the backstory/larger universe like? I'm not going to get a chance to see it in cinemas so spoil it all for me, please?

There isn't really one.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

sean10mm posted:

Is it good?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Darko posted:

There isn't really one.

Good.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Slight spoilers for motivation of the kid.

Same basic story as Superman initially. Two loving people on a farm find a baby that fell from the sky.

He starts hitting puberty and...

...he is automatically drawn to his spaceship, which was hidden under the barn and he didn't know of. A message for him to "take the world" seems to be broadcast to him in conjunction with his puberty/the ship. So the twist is he's actually a Saiyan with no full moon tail and not a Kryptonian. And he acts like a kid with no conscience would, with Superman's powers.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

So, basically a Mark Waid comic from 12 years ago. WGIS

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

It's different than something like Irredeemable because it's almost entirely about a kid in his day to day life and his relationship with family and the people around him.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Irreedemable had all that, it was just flashbacks....right?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Darko posted:

It's a straight horror movie that plays up on "what if Goku didn't hit his head and become nice when he came to earth?"

Awesome

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Darko posted:

So, does the movie end ten minutes after his turn to the dark side, and those ten minutes are just constant streams of red fountains splashing at the camera?

Because I fail to make Evil Horror Movie Superman work in my head, unless there is a teenage Batman to reign him in.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Grendels Dad posted:

So, does the movie end ten minutes after his turn to the dark side, and those ten minutes are just constant streams of red fountains splashing at the camera?

Because I fail to make Evil Horror Movie Superman work in my head, unless there is a teenage Batman to reign him in.

According to reports Nothing stops him, and the film ends with him beginning the mass slaughter of the people of earth

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Irreedemable had all that, it was just flashbacks....right?

Kind of, but this is legitimately a horror movie and from what I remember, the Plutonian didn't get all kill-y until after he was already a superhero.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Davros1 posted:

According to reports Nothing stops him, and the film ends with him beginning the mass slaughter of the people of earth

This is correct. Okay, ending spoilers, read at your own risk if anyone really must know:

He has a Kryptonite, which is the metal his ship is made of. Unfortunately, his mom fails at killing him with it at the end, and she's the only one with knowledge of this weakness. After she fails, he flies her up 8000 feet or whatever and then drops her. Then he basically just goes around the planet in the credits loving people and things up with nothing possibly stopping him.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Darko posted:

This is correct. Okay, ending spoilers, read at your own risk if anyone really must know:

He has a Kryptonite, which is the metal his ship is made of. Unfortunately, his mom fails at killing him with it at the end, and she's the only one with knowledge of this weakness. After she fails, he flies her up 8000 feet or whatever and then drops her. Then he basically just goes around the planet in the credits loving people and things up with nothing possibly stopping him.

Sounds like the sequel will be even more fun. :suspense:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Darko posted:

Yeah, and know that plane scene in the trailers? That’s right at the end after he kills his mom. Seems like one of those movies that spoils all the good parts in the trailers.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Darko posted:

Slight spoilers for motivation of the kid.

Same basic story as Superman initially. Two loving people on a farm find a baby that fell from the sky.

He starts hitting puberty and...

...he is automatically drawn to his spaceship, which was hidden under the barn and he didn't know of. A message for him to "take the world" seems to be broadcast to him in conjunction with his puberty/the ship. So the twist is he's actually a Saiyan with no full moon tail and not a Kryptonian. And he acts like a kid with no conscience would, with Superman's powers.

Instead of saying the twist is that he's a Saiyan it sounds like he is still Kryptonian but just the son of someone like Zod rather than Jor-El.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Lobok posted:

Instead of saying the twist is that he's a Saiyan it sounds like he is still Kryptonian but just the son of someone like Zod rather than Jor-El.

Eh, the Saiyan thing works because sending their infants to conquer weak planets was explicitly their thing. DC's done the Zod's son thing a couple times. The last version was harder edged than normal Superman incarnations, but not outright evil.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Grendels Dad posted:

Sounds like the sequel will be even more fun. :suspense:

Let's hope for a good guy Lex movie.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Lobok posted:

They actually made this for an animated Elsewhere and Zod's son goes to Earth and ends up becoming Superman but the most "what's efficient and not moral" kind. the episode is him fighting a kid who has uncontrollable and deadly powers and he breaks his neck after consoling him and telling him it was gonna be ok Not cruel but definitely Beyond Human Morality.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Detective No. 27 posted:

Eh, the Saiyan thing works because sending their infants to conquer weak planets was explicitly their thing. DC's done the Zod's son thing a couple times. The last version was harder edged than normal Superman incarnations, but not outright evil.

Fair enough. Just thought it'd be easier to reference something within Superman than outside of it but you're right Zod was a conqueror and not necessarily killing for the sake of it.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

They actually made this for an animated Elsewhere and Zod's son goes to Earth and ends up becoming Superman but the most "what's efficient and not moral" kind. the episode is him fighting a kid who has uncontrollable and deadly powers and he breaks his neck after consoling him and telling him it was gonna be ok Not cruel but definitely Beyond Human Morality.

What was this?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Delzuma posted:

What was this?

I think it's Gods and Monsters?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4324302/

It rounds out the Big Three with Man-Bat and a New God as Wonder Woman.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

DC Gods and Monsters

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Son_of_Zod_(Gods_and_Monsters)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Delzuma posted:

What was this?

Justice League: Gods and Monsters. Superman is Zod's son, and is raised by a Mexican-American family. Wonder Woman is from New Genesis. Batman is a straight up vampire. It wasn't bad.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

JL: Gods and Monsters was great and I highly recommend it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Detective No. 27 posted:

Justice League: Gods and Monsters. Superman is Zod's son, and is raised by a Mexican-American family. Wonder Woman is from New Genesis. Batman is a straight up vampire. It wasn't bad.

I thought she was a Female Fury, from Apokolips.

EDIT: I was wrong, she's from New Genesis, but married to a guy from Apokolips.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

Cool! I’ll have to check that out.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah, Saiyans work as a better parallel strictly because they are sent to planets to wipe them out so they can be colonized. Brandon in this movie has an implanted or ship based command that pretty much says the same. He still has some empathy and doesn't initially plan to kill EVERYONE and is fine with keeping the appearances of a family up, but once his parents see his danger and try to take him out, welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adimeadozen
Apr 6, 2004
Not That Guy
Re: Brightburn -

Has it already been mentioned that the credits also have a really blatant implication that it's like an... evil DC universe mirror? There's a cute bit at the end that has "oh and that half fish half man terrorizing the sea - and a supernatural demon woman who chokes people with ropes..." comment from a conspiracy theorist- they show a couple others too, an alien and someone who looks like Rainn Wilson's superhero from Super?