Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Well, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

:classiclol:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Posted this in the CineD Genchat but hell I'll double dip.

The MCU 4K boxset was revealed. $550 for the whole shebang, with some pretty meh box art that looks to have photoshopped SpiderMan in at the last moment.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Joker is easily one of the best superhero adjacent movies made. Phoenix needs a Golden Globe or Oscar nod for sure.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

CharlestonJew posted:

Vision fulfilled the same purpose as Martian Manhunter did in the old Justice League cartoons. i.e. stand around and be really powerful but get absolutely chumped in every fight

So he's Worf. Uses so much as the badass who gets beat up to make someone else looks badass that he actually has a massive Loss to Win ratio.

I really hope WandaVision is Good. I like Paul Bettany as Vision a lot despite the MCU doing absolutely nothing with him.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CityMidnightJunky posted:

So he's Worf. Uses so much as the badass who gets beat up to make someone else looks badass that he actually has a massive Loss to Win ratio.

I really hope WandaVision is Good. I like Paul Bettany as Vision a lot despite the MCU doing absolutely nothing with him.

Him and Wanda on their vacation was one of my favorite parts of infinity war

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Comic book movie - tv show cross over.

https://twitter.com/Pagmyst/status/1182665598968500224?s=20

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I just recently rewatch Captain Marvel and drat that movie looks like poo poo. I mean I really like Brie Larson in it , but for a movie about space aliens it's really boring looking.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

This is pretty cute. I assume Keaton blessed it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hollismason posted:

I just recently rewatch Captain Marvel and drat that movie looks like poo poo. I mean I really like Brie Larson in it , but for a movie about space aliens it's really boring looking.

https://twitter.com/OnePerfectShot/status/1182400660660260864

I saw this yesterday and thought it was pretty bad for a "perfect shot." The lines draw my eye to the plane at the top rather than Brie Larson.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I saw this yesterday and thought it was pretty bad for a "perfect shot." The lines draw my eye to the plane at the top rather than Brie Larson.

So it's functioning as intended as a recruitment ad for the Air Force.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Sir Kodiak posted:

So it's functioning as intended as a recruitment ad for the Air Force.

Somehow this doesn't bother me as much as the Black Panther/CIA thing. Maybe it's because of general desensitization, or because of Top Gun and Green Lantern et al. doing this thing overtly since forever. Or maybe it's because BP's cause of representation seemed to be a bit more genuine at the time so it hit a bit harder when I realized that Martin Freeman's role in the movie is loving awful.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Detective No. 27 posted:

https://twitter.com/OnePerfectShot/status/1182400660660260864

Not to mention the phallic imagery. Looks like a big 'ol dick getting ready to penetrate.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Not sure how many of you watch DC Animated Universe movies—it's a "movie universe" of animated films adapted from The New 52 relaunch—but I just watched Wonder Woman: Bloodlines last night, and while it's great that WW finally got another animated feature, it was just... ehh, it was alright. Definitely not the worst from the DCAMU, but it's not nearly as good as the standalone WW animated movie from 2009. The best part was during the final fight when it pulls from Rucka's early 2000s run where Diana blinds herself with snake venom to fight Medusa. :black101:

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

teagone posted:

Not sure how many of you watch DC Animated Universe movies—it's a "movie universe" of animated films adapted from The New 52 relaunch—but I just watched Wonder Woman: Bloodlines last night, and while it's great that WW finally got another animated feature, it was just... ehh, it was alright. Definitely not the worst from the DCAMU, but it's not nearly as good as the standalone WW animated movie from 2009. The best part was during the final fight when it pulls from Rucka's early 2000s run where Diana blinds herself with snake venom to fight Medusa. :black101:

Give the woman an animated series already, DC/WB, ffs

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Equeen posted:

Give the woman an animated series already, DC/WB, ffs

Yeah for real. It only took them 10 loving years to make a 2nd Wonder Woman animated film. In those same 10 years, there have been 13 Batman-centric animated movies. Lmao. WW has so many good story arcs that can make for compelling movies or a series, but WB are dragging their feet because...? It's so frustrating, especially after the 2017 film was a huge success. Way to not capitalize on that, idiots.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Are there any good DCAU movies you'd recommend? Last one I saw was Batman and Robin IIRC

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CharlestonJew posted:

Are there any good DCAU movies you'd recommend? Last one I saw was Batman and Robin IIRC

The legit good ones, imo, are Justice League Dark and the two-parter Death of Superman/Reign of the Supermen. I'd recommend those. Not much else stands out. Most of the DCAMU is pretty middling tbh; they're all mostly fine and worth a once over, but there's no film I'd say is a "you HAVE to see this" type deal other than the ones I mentioned. Doesn't help that a chunk of them are Batman-centric, and I've been bored of animated Batman movies for a while now.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The pre-New 52 DCAU was better I think. Crisis on Two Earths is great.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Selina Kyle was a secretary in that universe.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Blast Fantasto posted:

The pre-New 52 DCAU was better I think. Crisis on Two Earths is great.

The DCAMU got its start with a post-credits stinger in Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox, and officially started with Justice League: War. Currently there are 13 features that make up the "shared universe" of the DCAMU, with the most recent one being Wonder Woman: Bloodlines. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Animated_Movie_Universe

But yeah, there have been plenty of pre-DCAMU animated movies (DC originals) that are great, Wonder Woman (2009) among them. Crisis on Two Earths, Justice League: Doom, Under the Red Hood, Superman/Batman: Apocalypse, and Assault on Arkham are all solid.

[edit] Diana and Big Barda vs The Furies is the greatest fight scene in any DC animated film imo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPlSdns_n1E

It's from Superman/Batman: Apocalypse, which legit feels like an animated version of a Zack Snyder superhero movie. It owns.

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 12, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Grendels Dad posted:

Somehow this doesn't bother me as much as the Black Panther/CIA thing. Maybe it's because of general desensitization, or because of Top Gun and Green Lantern et al. doing this thing overtly since forever. Or maybe it's because BP's cause of representation seemed to be a bit more genuine at the time so it hit a bit harder when I realized that Martin Freeman's role in the movie is loving awful.

Is the Air Force as bad as the rest of the military for women more likely to get raped by fellow soldiers than injured in combat?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is the Air Force as bad as the rest of the military for women more likely to get raped by fellow soldiers than injured in combat?

It has the most Christian fundamentalist whackos in it so I wouldn't bet on it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Those DCAU movies are the MCU of animated cinematic universes.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

teagone posted:

But yeah, there have been plenty of pre-DCAMU animated movies (DC originals) that are great, Wonder Woman (2009) among them. Crisis on Two Earths, Justice League: Doom, Under the Red Hood, Superman/Batman: Apocalypse, and Assault on Arkham are all solid.

Batman Ninja is the best thing ever, and all the people who disagree with me are wrong.

Warning: Batman Ninja is insanely anime.

Watch the trailer and you'll know if it's for you or not.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

SimonCat posted:

Selina Kyle was a secretary in that universe.

Yeah but after she became Catwoman her personality changed. Maybe she made enough money form her Catwoman exploits that she bought and spent her way in the right circles.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The Animated version of New Frontier was decent. They even made Wonder Woman super built and slightly taller than Supes, IIRC. Too bad she gets hardly any screentime.

There's also the DKR 2 parter with Peter "Robocop" Weller.

Anyone remember when Marvel was trying to have an Animated features thing going? Except for Hulk Vs. They were all pretty blah

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Batman vs the teenage mutant ninja turtles wasn't half bad actually. It really leaned in to the camp obviously, but the fight scenes where pretty well done, and it's got great nostalgic appeal

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4a1xE9Yn7ng

Have a look and see if that's up your crime alley

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
https://twitter.com/JustJared/status/1182781982012596224?s=19

Lmao ah, well, nevertheless

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Gunn following Todd Phillips' example and using WB money to make Super 2.

Edit:Anyone can tell me who those characters apart from Cap. Boomerang are? I don't think any of them are the main cast.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The one girl kind of looks like a Starfire alien but uglier than they're usually allowed to be

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I see Mongal, Javelin and maybe Arm Fall Off Boy.

Mongal is a hell of an obscure character to pull out of nowhere. Especially considering they haven't even used Mongul.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

The Animated version of New Frontier was decent. They even made Wonder Woman super built and slightly taller than Supes, IIRC. Too bad she gets hardly any screentime.

Yeah, I liked New Frontier and how it faithfully adapted the style of the comic. Most of the non-DCAMU Justice League movies are pretty great really. Justice League vs the Fatal Five isn't one of the best, but it introduced me to Jessica Cruz. She should be the DCEU's primary Lantern imo, with Rosa Salazar cast to play her :allears: Gods and Monsters is always the one I recommend first, then Crisis on Two Earths.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I think they're gonna use Suicide Squad to bring out the obscure trash on the screen (so they can kill them off)

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Zzulu posted:

I think they're gonna use Suicide Squad to bring out the obscure trash on the screen (so they can kill them off)

This is basically the entire premise of the Suicide Squad as a comic book, so it’s more bizarre that the first movie didn’t

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The MSJ posted:

Edit:Anyone can tell me who those characters apart from Cap. Boomerang are? I don't think any of them are the main cast.

They're all named in the article.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Blast Fantasto posted:

This is basically the entire premise of the Suicide Squad as a comic book, so it’s more bizarre that the first movie didn’t

How quickly we forget poor Slipknot.

josh04 fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 12, 2019

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
Just got done watching a ton of Marvel movies to be ready to watch Infinity War and Endgame, which is a concept I hate. SMG is right that First Avenger is maybe the best Marvel movie.

The fact that nerds lobby for a "true" 80's funtime hero movie to relive their childhood experience of watching movies so hard that they hallucinate Thor Ragnarok as having the qualities of such a movie makes me grit my teeth. Guess what? First Avenger already exists. It's the best Star Wars after ESB.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

End of Shoelace posted:

Just got done watching a ton of Marvel movies to be ready to watch Infinity War and Endgame, which is a concept I hate. SMG is right that First Avenger is maybe the best Marvel movie.

The fact that nerds lobby for a "true" 80's funtime hero movie to relive their childhood experience of watching movies so hard that they hallucinate Thor Ragnarok as having the qualities of such a movie makes me grit my teeth. Guess what? First Avenger already exists. It's the best Star Wars after ESB.

Get ready to load up Infinity War, a brutal slog of a movie a bunch of people convinced themselves was good because the marketing told them it was “the conclusion of a saga” when it obviously wasn’t but bought it anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sorry you fell for it