Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

There's a lot of design in Black Panther, but it isn't good design. The mountain clan's whole aesthetic especially looks like poo poo, like a hypermodern Scandinavian ski lodge.

That looked awesome. I mean, it told us nothing about the mountain clan, but it looked cool and I want a house like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
You expect some brutalist design from a hq held on the brink of death by Super Gorilla Power, but then it's all modern eco-friendly wood and tusks and poo poo.

Which works, because their leader isn't a dumb musclehead.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fart City posted:

It kind or reminds me about the story of how Guillermo Del Toro included all of these minute details in Hellboy, like little dried frogs in Rasputin’s robo-glove, in order to make the world feel more lived-in, even if a lot of attention wasn’t given to them.

Adam Savage (the Mythbusters guy) spent five years tinkering on making a replica of that glove in his spare time and it's crazy how detailed it was.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJd4sJfpOLU

He also recently finished up a replica of the billboard blimp from BladeRunner which was also insanely detailed, especially given how little screen time it gets in the film.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

There's a lot of design in Black Panther, but it isn't good design. The mountain clan's whole aesthetic especially looks like poo poo, like a hypermodern Scandinavian ski lodge.

There were a whole bunch of design details all over the place, apparently they created two different versions of the Wakanda written language, an older style based on Nigerian pictographs from the fourth and fifth centuries and a more modern version. I'm pretty sure almost every time you see it in the film it's actually translatable, they didn't just string a bunch of random pictographs together.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Fart City posted:

It doesn’t really help that they don’t really take advantages of the location anyway. You get one brief scene in the city itself, which is really cool and interesting to look at, but the majority of the finale (and time spent there in Infinity War) takes place in a nondescript field. It kind or reminds me about the story of how Guillermo Del Toro included all of these minute details in Hellboy, like little dried frogs in Rasputin’s robo-glove, in order to make the world feel more lived-in, even if a lot of attention wasn’t given to them. But the difference is that stuff was actually utilized to it’s fullest in that case. You can tell a lot of artistic energy went into Wakanda, but so little of it is presented up on the screen. I mean, it’s like, lab, field, Tron mine.

Yeah, imagine if the final confrontation between Black Panther and Killmonger took place here:

fighting through an intermingling of the futuristic and the traditional.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1084593794576601088

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

There was one shot in Wakanda where they showed some graffiti, and as far as I can recall that's the only sign that anybody actually lives in Wakanda. The rest of it just looks like cast members in the Wakanda section of Epcot. Although, in a sense, that's actually kind of clever since a significant portion of the Wakandan population is employed to put on an act for tourists.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

oh my god I could totally see Disney adding a Wakanda experience to Epcot

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fart City posted:

oh my god I could totally see Disney adding a Wakanda experience to Epcot

That seems like a bad idea for a lot of reasons

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

RBA Starblade posted:

Well.

Yeah.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

RBA Starblade posted:

Well they're not saying that they are, but they're also very much not saying that they aren't
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/disney-ceo-hints-at-black-panther-theme-park-addition-1088522

Edit: Disneyland also briefly had a "Heroic Encounter: Black Panther" limited time 'experience', as well as “Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Dance-Off!", "Heroic Encounter: Spider-Man and Captain America" and a few other limited time movie tie-ins.
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2018/02/black-panther-now-appearing-at-disney-california-adventure-park/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzSYwOiFoH8

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 14, 2019

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Counterpoint: The final fight scene in Black Panther takes place in a literal underground railroad.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Metaphor or not that poo poo looks like it takes place in the Johnny Mnemonic Internet. At least the city of Wakanda was an actual set.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Well they're not saying that they are, but they're also very much not saying that they aren't
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/disney-ceo-hints-at-black-panther-theme-park-addition-1088522

EPCOT is already getting a GotG indoor coaster and considering they’re actually pretty big on the authenticity of their world showcase if anything it would be shoved into a different section of the park. Considering the obvious tie-in, Animal Kingdom would be the better choice.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Vargo posted:

Counterpoint: The final fight scene in Black Panther takes place in a literal underground railroad.

Holy poo poo lol.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Gotta admit, Wakanda using its underground railroad for industrial mining is pretty perfect.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

PierreTheMime posted:

EPCOT is already getting a GotG indoor coaster and considering they’re actually pretty big on the authenticity of their world showcase if anything it would be shoved into a different section of the park. Considering the obvious tie-in, Animal Kingdom would be the better choice.

There's a lot more ridey stuff at the front of the park near the globe, I think they consider that separate from the world showcase.

Even then, Norway got a Frozen ride when it was obvious it would draw more visitors than what they had there previously.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Animal Kingdom got Avatar World Pandora
GotG I think actually is updating a ride in Hollywood Studios and they’d probably do something Star Wars
Magic Kingdom got a new section with Toy Story and Bauty and the Beast thing
Epcot is gonna update something but I forget

IMO they should have a Marvel update in Hollywood Studios. I love the Indiana Jones stunt spectacular but I wonder if they update that or maybe do a 4D Marvel ride

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Guy A. Person posted:

There's a lot more ridey stuff at the front of the park near the globe, I think they consider that separate from the world showcase.

Even then, Norway got a Frozen ride when it was obvious it would draw more visitors than what they had there previously.

Yep, the non-showcase bits are a lot looser and there’s a good deal of space taken with “filler” or less popular options where they could update. They’re putting in a little Big Hero 6 section right now, which seemed like an odd choice. I’m curious what it will be beside a bigger space for character greeting.

:rip: Maelstrom

Gatts posted:

GotG I think actually is updating a ride in Hollywood Studios and they’d probably do something Star Wars

IMO they should have a Marvel update in Hollywood Studios. I love the Indiana Jones stunt spectacular but I wonder if they update that or maybe do a 4D Marvel ride

The GotG ride is replacing the Universe of Energy at EPCOT. You’re thinking of the reskin of the Tower of Terror at Disneyland.

The Toy Story area is Hollywood Studios, as is the massive Star Wars expansion later this year. They’re good for now.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 14, 2019

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Epcot is also getting new Ratatouille ride like what they have in Paris. They better not loving touch Tower of Terror at Hollywood Studios.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah Star Wars Land is opening this fall, it's a totally new area so they're probably good on where to put new Star Wars stuff for awhile. I wonder if they'll clear out the existing Star Wars mini-area for some more Marvel stuff tho.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah Star Wars Land is opening this fall, it's a totally new area so they're probably good on where to put new Star Wars stuff for awhile. I wonder if they'll clear out the existing Star Wars mini-area for some more Marvel stuff tho.

Yeah it’s an interesting choice. The Jedi Training and Star Tours are very popular so if they’re not keeping them there I’d imagine they’re moving them. That would be a gigantic engineering feat and cost for essentially a short move of resources. My guess is they stay out and they just add new stuff. There’s only a bar and a brief jaunt down a normal street between Star Tours and the gate to the new area.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Speaking of Disney, have y'all seen the Disneysea prototypes for Belle's Enchanted ride? It's like the Ariel/Ursula animatronics on next level poo poo. That's going to be awesome when it filters down to the rest of the attractions/new rides.

A Coco themed dark ride with that poo poo would be amazing.

Vargo posted:

It ferries the most prized yet most threatening export the white/western world has ever seen.

BLACK CULTURE.

Killmonger's aerial transports stand in for the Northern Diaspora. Furthermore :words:

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 14, 2019

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

PierreTheMime posted:

Yeah it’s an interesting choice. The Jedi Training and Star Tours are very popular so if they’re not keeping them there I’d imagine they’re moving them. That would be a gigantic engineering feat and cost for essentially a short move of resources. My guess is they stay out and they just add new stuff. There’s only a bar and a brief jaunt down a normal street between Star Tours and the gate to the new area.

Yeah that's probably a really good point about the engineering cost. I figured they could leverage both into something else and replicate/update Star Tours/Jedi training in the new area, but that's probably wishful thinking to satisfy my OCD about things being grouped properly :ohdear:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I stopped giving a gently caress about all that stuff a couple months ago. Now I choose blissful ignorance.

Willful ignorance is no virtue.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

How does it rank up with the CIA literally admitting they are trying to design new spy tech around what was shown in Black Panther?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Gatts posted:

The stuff with Marvel is really iffy thanks to Universal's Islands of Adventure situation. On the east coast, Universal has control over the use of everything Spider-Man, X-Men, Fantastic Four and Avengers, which is at least like 95% of Marvel. The fact that Guardians of the Galaxy became such a hit was major for Disney because Universal has no hold on it. They just can't call it "Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy."

They're adding an Avengers World (Avengers Land?) at Disneyland because even though they can use all the characters on the west coast, they still can't outright use the Marvel name to promote it.

Meanwhile, everything Marvel at Islands of Adventure looks like it's locked in the 90's, complete with a restaurant that has art up of Clint Barton Goliath and leather jacket Black Knight.

Gavok fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 14, 2019

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

it is super petty, but I love the fact that even though Disney is making billions with Marvel the stuff they can do at their theme parks is limited because they don't own those rights.

Also nothing is ever going to top either The Incredible Hulk or The Amazing Spider-Man rides :colbert:
well, maybe Dueling Dragons :rip:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I said come in! posted:

How does it rank up with the CIA literally admitting they are trying to design new spy tech around what was shown in Black Panther?

I guess it depends if there's a recruitment booth in the exhibit.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Jimbot posted:

I guess it depends if there's a recruitment booth in the exhibit.

You walk in and it’s just the video game drone room from Toys

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

On a side note, you should all check out Defunctland on Youtube, its an awesome look into failed rides and business ventures by Disney plus a bunch of other theme parks.

Defunctland

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Vintersorg posted:

On a side note, you should all check out Defunctland on Youtube, its an awesome look into failed rides and business ventures by Disney plus a bunch of other theme parks.

Defunctland

Cosigned. It's a brilliant series and I'm currently reading the book he just released.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Punisher s2 : is that really the extent of jigsaw’s scars? Laaaaaaaaaaame.

I thought the same thing but just chalked it up to plastic surgery.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

BiggerBoat posted:

Ideally the surgery is incomplete in some way and his face gets more and more hosed up looking as the movie progresses due to him having to stitch it up himself or whatever reasons.

Or in the last episode they face each other again and the Punisher pulls a Dagon and just cold literally peels Jigsaw's entire face off of his head. :black101:

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 15, 2019

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Punisher s2 : is that really the extent of jigsaw’s scars? Laaaaaaaaaaame.

It reminds me of that Beauty and the Beast adaptation from earlier this decade where the Beast was just some pale dude with a few face tattoos.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

BiggerBoat posted:

(One year ago)

Netflix: So what’s the budget for season 2?

Marvel: lmao why don’t we just see how it goes.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Detective No. 27 posted:

It reminds me of that Beauty and the Beast adaptation from earlier this decade where the Beast was just some pale dude with a few face tattoos.

Funny way to describe Suicide Squad.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Detective No. 27 posted:

Penny Arcade had a pretty funny take on that.

Basically "how will i ever learn to love your brooding mystique, 6 pack abs and sick tats"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I said come in! posted:

That stupid but not related on its own to something historically monstrous.

Besides the cia itself I mean

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Fart City posted:

(One year ago)

Netflix: So what’s the budget for season 2?

Marvel: lmao why don’t we just see how it goes.

I would have settled for a six episode season in exchange for hyper real practical gore/scars/etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

josh04 posted:

Funny way to describe Suicide Squad.

You mean the Suicide Squad that won an Academy Award for makeup?