Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Spacebump posted:

Tonight a friend reminded me Justice League was using the line "Unite the Seven" in early advertising. Was the seventh going to be Martian Manhunter?
I thought it was supposed to be Green Lantern. A Green Lantern Corp movie was one of the films WB announced at San Diego Comicon 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Green Lantern is one of those things that CAN be used to make a by the numbers superhero movie but probably shouldn't be, because it lends itself to so many more interesting applications. In theory, anyway.

Shoulda made that Jack Black script where he gets the ring after showing up on Fear Factor and is lazy as hell with it til the end where he uses the ring to create Superman to do superheroics for him.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Spacebump posted:

Tonight a friend reminded me Justice League was using the line "Unite the Seven" in early advertising. Was the seventh going to be Martian Manhunter?

It was only used in a promo image of Aquaman without any connection to the other heroes, so I always just assumed it meant uniting "the seven seas", which he ended up doing when he was crowned King Arthur.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Robot Style posted:

It was only used in a promo image of Aquaman without any connection to the other heroes, so I always just assumed it meant uniting "the seven seas", which he ended up doing when he was crowned King Arthur.

The seven Kingdoms of Atlantis. :eng101:

The poster came out in 2015, two years before Justice League and three years before Aquaman so I can understand the confusion.

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/568650209581858817

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The seven Kingdoms of Atlantis. :eng101:

The poster came out in 2015, two years before Justice League and three years before Aquaman so I can understand the confusion.

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/568650209581858817

I may be wrong but that whole poster made Aquaman into a legit concept from being a family guy punchline.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

hump day bitches! posted:

I may be wrong but that whole poster made Aquaman into a legit concept from being a family guy punchline.

And his clips from the first trailers. Just the brief shot of him standing on a breaker while waves envelope him made me go "wtf is Aquaman actually kind of cool??"

And of course that shot was cut in favor of an incredibly awkward dive into the water in the release lmao

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Who knew that the solution to making Aquaman not a joke was to make him a sexy wild man?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I haven't seen the Aquaman movie but my impression is he is still very much a joke as well as handsome.

It's more that a dude with water powers needs to be portrayed by a crew with a good sense of visuals.

Whedon never had a chance! I almost feel bad for him until I remember he sucks as an actual person too

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm pretty sure he's more the DCU's take on Thor.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I watched most of the old DCAU cartoons recently and I quite liked Aquaman being mostly an antagonist for several episodes in that. The heroes having to fight an army of sea creatures and Atlantean guards was cooler than Aquaman riding an octopus or whatever

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Aquaman was rad imo. I liked how it went out of its way to subvert how its story always plays out in movies. Especially the bit with the sort of Odin/Theoden (movie version) equivalent character turning out to be so passive not because he was naive but because he really wanted the war between sea-folks and land-folks to happen the whole time but was politically savvy enough to portray himself in this above it all philosopher king reluctantly obligated to participate in an inevitable war while letting the angry young folks be the "bad guys" that get it started.

Also the opening talk blurb talking about how some of the kingdom's people's regressed being very like gotta preserve the divine bloodline of the heroes poo poo and that turning out to be total bullshit and neither of Aquaman's parents even dying. Just a lot of fun.

I guess my only problem with it was Black Manta. I liked how they initially set him up but then he gets chumped and taken out of the movie relatively easily, clearly to set up him as the villain of the sequel but like, he gets chumped and taken out easily, and the movie ends with Aquaman being THE OCEAN MASTER and Black Manta having his high tech armor and stuff all busted up. The montage of him working with the Atlantean technology was awesome though.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Aquaman has had two ideas for him in the comics.

Peter David's hook hand Aquaman that is actually pretty fun.

And then "Gyaaaaagh, I'm not like Superfriends, I'm cool, please stop making fun of how I talk to fish"

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Blood Boils posted:

I haven't seen the Aquaman movie but my impression is he is still very much a joke as well as handsome.

He's definitely a guy who has fun and can be the butt of jokes, but they don't focus on the whole "this guy talks to FISH? WHAT!?!" joke, it's just him having a straightforward adventure.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Mr. Apollo posted:

I thought it was supposed to be Green Lantern. A Green Lantern Corp movie was one of the films WB announced at San Diego Comicon 2015.

Should've let Mcquarrie do MoS 2 and the Green Lantern movie he pitched to them a few years back.

Think of what insane preparation Tom Cruise would come up with in anticipation of playing Hal Jordan.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mat Cauthon posted:

Think of what insane preparation Tom Cruise would come up with in anticipation of playing Hal Jordan.

James Cameron reportedly had child actors holding their breath for up to two minutes underwater during prep for Avatar 2, Cruise would be hard-pressed to top that.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

AT&T need to get a handle on their social media person.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Neo Rasa posted:

Aquaman was rad imo. I liked how it went out of its way to subvert how its story always plays out in movies. Especially the bit with the sort of Odin/Theoden (movie version) equivalent character turning out to be so passive not because he was naive but because he really wanted the war between sea-folks and land-folks to happen the whole time but was politically savvy enough to portray himself in this above it all philosopher king reluctantly obligated to participate in an inevitable war while letting the angry young folks be the "bad guys" that get it started.

Also the opening talk blurb talking about how some of the kingdom's people's regressed being very like gotta preserve the divine bloodline of the heroes poo poo and that turning out to be total bullshit and neither of Aquaman's parents even dying. Just a lot of fun.

I guess my only problem with it was Black Manta. I liked how they initially set him up but then he gets chumped and taken out of the movie relatively easily, clearly to set up him as the villain of the sequel but like, he gets chumped and taken out easily, and the movie ends with Aquaman being THE OCEAN MASTER and Black Manta having his high tech armor and stuff all busted up. The montage of him working with the Atlantean technology was awesome though.

I didn't feel like Manta got taken out easily. When he did get taken out it seemed like Aquaman was really fighting as hard as he could in desperation after getting his rear end kicked pretty hard so far

Mr. Apollo posted:

AT&T need to get a handle on their social media person.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 23, 2020

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I didn't feel like Manta got taken out easily. When he did get taken out it seemed like Aquaman was really fighting as hard as he could in desperation after getting his rear end kicked pretty hard so far

The fight was fine but it was in the middle of the movie and appropriately treated as a stepping stone for a bit of character development. It's not quite clear what BLACK MANTA WILL RETURN is supposed to achieve since Black Manta had his showdown with his nemesis and lost, and Arthur had all the growth he was gonna get out of that particular part.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Gonna be lol if they try to relaunch their cinematic universe with retcons

Every single thing about comics, good and bad, has been replicated in CU's. It's amazing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Blood Boils posted:

And his clips from the first trailers. Just the brief shot of him standing on a breaker while waves envelope him made me go "wtf is Aquaman actually kind of cool??"

And of course that shot was cut in favor of an incredibly awkward dive into the water in the release lmao

This has nothing to do with anything but I remember someone showing my mom that poster and her getting very mad about it. Apparently she loved Aquaman comics and Superfriends as a kid (yes, really) and that Wasn't Her Aquaman lmao

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I hope Jason Momoa gets the hook hand in Aquaman 2. That'd be rad.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

teagone posted:

They need to stop loving around and bring Lagoon Boy into the DCU already.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

teagone posted:

I feel like that's basically inevitable, especially because "Aquaman lost his HAND" is a violent/dramatic thing that can happen with minimal gore depending on how it's handled and because Aquaman is basically DC's Thor so it can mimic Thor losing his eye. (Right down to him getting the water hand in a sequel because Jason Momoa doesn't want to wear a crappy fake hook all day and they don't want to CGI ever single shot he's in.)

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like that's basically inevitable, especially because "Aquaman lost his HAND" is a violent/dramatic thing that can happen with minimal gore depending on how it's handled and because Aquaman is basically DC's Thor so it can mimic Thor losing his eye. (Right down to him getting the water hand in a sequel because Jason Momoa doesn't want to wear a crappy fake hook all day and they don't want to CGI ever single shot he's in.)

*Black Manta hopefully whetting his wrist knife in the background of this post*

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Timby posted:

James Cameron reportedly had child actors holding their breath for up to two minutes underwater during prep for Avatar 2, Cruise would be hard-pressed to top that.

If a Green Lantern film has a space sequence, do you think Cruise would become an astronaut in order to film authentic space stunts? I think he would.

He would also figure out how to run in zero-g, somehow.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

McSpanky posted:

If a Green Lantern film has a space sequence, do you think Cruise would become an astronaut in order to film authentic space stunts? I think he would.

He would also figure out how to run in zero-g, somehow.

He's already planning on making a movie in space.
https://www.cnet.com/news/nasa-confirms-tom-cruise-will-make-movie-aboard-international-space-station/

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Timby posted:

Probably but that doesn't mean I wouldn't pay top dollar to see him try.

ImpAtom posted:

You could do it in the same movie even - loses his hand and gets the hook in the first act, redeems himself and gets the water hand late into the third act.

If nothing else it sets up Jason Momoa doing some :krad: axe throwing tricks in an action sequence.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

All this Snyder Cut talk made me want to finally watch Justice League, it sure was a movie with characters in it.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

All this Snyder Cut talk made me want to finally watch Justice League, it sure was a movie with characters in it.

I can't say for sure since I still haven't seen it, but I've been led to believe that that's not the case.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Timby posted:

Cruise, supposedly, had to learn how to hold his breath for 6+ minutes to do an extended underwater sequence in one of the Mission Impossible film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDaUWl_kaWE

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Grendels Dad posted:

It's not quite clear what BLACK MANTA WILL RETURN is supposed to achieve since Black Manta had his showdown with his nemesis and lost, and Arthur had all the growth he was gonna get out of that particular part.

Coverage at sea for Lex during any Legion of Doom appearances.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Having a water hand sounds like it'd suck. I'd rather have the hook.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

Having a water hand sounds like it'd suck. I'd rather have the hook.

Depends on how warm the water is.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I vote for tentacles. Like shove an octopus up the stump and go hog wild.

(I remember X men having a tentacles moment. It was weird)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

can someone deepfake him into Batman '89 tia

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

can someone deepfake him into Batman '89 tia
Does the technology exist to deep fake chests yet?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/1264624087093047297

https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/1264718924819558400

https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/1264389745376784385

https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/1264620812134277120

https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/1264614967535218693

While I am glad that Snyder got JL back and can't wait to see that, I'm way more hyped at the possibility of Ayer's Suicide Squad.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

That June Moone / Enchantress transformation “handshake” is really cool.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Mr. Apollo posted:

That June Moone / Enchantress transformation “handshake” is really cool.

Yeah, it really is. I really should give the DC movies another shake, I liked BvS and Birds Of Prey well enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Agent Rush posted:

Yeah, it really is. I really should give the DC movies another shake, I liked BvS and Birds Of Prey well enough.

I'm biased, but Wonder Woman is the best DCEU film and everyone should watch it.