Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'd place it in the bottom half of the dceu movies. The ending is a mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

As it is Suicide Squad has a bunch of cool stuff in it, but it's definitely hurt by the edit it was given.

I would like to see the cut Ayer had in mind.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Agent Rush posted:

Yeah, it really is. I really should give the DC movies another shake, I liked BvS and Birds Of Prey well enough.

Have you seen Aquaman? Not my favorite DC movie but pretty good. It also goes to a really weird direction which I appreciated.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Roth posted:

As it is Suicide Squad has a bunch of cool stuff in it, but it's definitely hurt by the edit it was given.

The stuff he apparently never got to film would have made Suicide Squad a much stronger movie. The Steppenwolf stuff and such.

But even ignoring that, even if he only got to fix the hackjob reshoots and editing from other people, there's so much good stuff on the cutting room floor that could be salvaged.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Roth posted:

I recall reading somewhere that Ayer originally wanted no music at all. Like, just pure sound design.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Wonder Woman is interesting because it's almost a direct inversion of Man of Steel in several places. Like there's a part where WW's true mission objective lies ahead, but there's a little town being menaced by bad guys on the way, so she stops to heroically save the town and then have a nice moment with her love interest!

Then the real threat present at her original destination launches its gas bombs or whatever and depopulates massive swathes of territory, the quaint little town included. Oops! But this isn't reflected on as a prioritization/triage error, just, you know, something very sad for Wonder Woman and co.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Ferrinus posted:

Wonder Woman is interesting because it's almost a direct inversion of Man of Steel in several places. Like there's a part where WW's true mission objective lies ahead, but there's a little town being menaced by bad guys on the way, so she stops to heroically save the town and then have a nice moment with her love interest!

Then the real threat present at her original destination launches its gas bombs or whatever and depopulates massive swathes of territory, the quaint little town included. Oops! But this isn't reflected on as a prioritization/triage error, just, you know, something very sad for Wonder Woman and co.

I've seen Wonder Woman, but haven't seen Man of Steel. That should make for an interesting comparison when I finally do.

I haven't seen Aquaman yet.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The best joke in Wonder Woman, of course, is when a Jewish lady stabs the avatar of German militarism... in the front.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
So, what's up with Justice League Dark: Apokolips War having the surviving main female heroes being physically mutilated, but none of the main guys?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

KVeezy3 posted:

So, what's up with Justice League Dark: Apokolips War having the surviving main female heroes being physically mutilated, but none of the main guys?

Hawkman and Martian Manhunter also became cyborg furies for Darkseid. Lois, Cheetah, and Harley survived the invasion ok as well. Hal and Aquaman just straight up die, and Shazam has his leg lopped off.

[edit] As an aside, I tried to watch Superman Red Son last night. Ended up getting bored and turned it off about 30-40 min I think. Trash.

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 25, 2020

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the first half of Wonder Woman is kind of fun but the entire ending sequence made me laugh for how bad it was

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

KVeezy3 posted:

On a similar note as Teagone, Wonder Woman is also the only one who gets a big hero moment and Dick is a broken insane mess that is kept in the basement.

Wonder Woman also gets the objectively best design and least freakish body.

You can also count Superman as being scarred if you like.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I liked that Dick still wanted to be with Starfire despite her mutilated body.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

teagone posted:

Hawkman and Martian Manhunter also became cyborg furies for Darkseid.

I might be glib here, but who really cares about Hawkman and Martian Manhunter?

Burkion posted:

On a similar note as Teagone, Wonder Woman is also the only one who gets a big hero moment and Dick is a broken insane mess that is kept in the basement.

Wonder Woman also gets the objectively best design and least freakish body.

You can also count Superman as being scarred if you like.

Sure, but the female heroes are also all mentally scarred by the end.

Here's the end scene in particular for those who haven't seen it (Spoilers, obviously): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlGuVdpckVc&t=19s

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 25, 2020

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Hawkman sucks, but Martian Manhunter is a really fun character. The DCAU Justice League is a good sell on him.

https://youtu.be/QZV4EL5wjC4

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

That is charming, but it's also contingent on his being interpreted as an outsider, i.e. not direct identification.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

KVeezy3 posted:

I might be glib here, but who really cares about Hawkman and Martian Manhunter?

Sure, but the female heroes are also all mentally scarred by the end.

Here's the end scene in particular for those who haven't seen it (Spoilers obviously): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlGuVdpckVc&t=19s

Batman spent the entire time as the slave of Darkseid and God knows what he looks like under his new suit.

Raven is actually healthier looking at the end than she was for most of the film and has resolved her daddy issues.

Superman's spent an entire year dealing with his gently caress ups and what it's cost everyone while being crippled and has just lost his wife.

The Flash is emaciated and only wasn't carved up because he was needed as a battery.

Hawkman is literally a brain and maybe some of his loving scalp the ENTIRE REST OF HIM is robot nightmare.

Kory seems to be handling things much better than Dick who is POINTEDLY in a straight jacket.

Martian Manhunter is a mess.

Like, what are you trying to say with this? They're all shades of hosed. There are exactly four who, physically, came out of this better than they started- Damien, who had to be brought back to life with magic, Constantine, who had to be brought back with magic, Raven, and Superman. Everyone else is hosed up in some fashion or dead.

Constantine isn't going to get mutilated in a fight because that wouldn't even make sense. Superman spent most of the movie crippled and only just now got his powers back. Raven restores herself back to full and then heals Damien who at that point was a burnt husk.

You can't just discount two examples that go ENTIRELY contrary to your point by saying 'who cares' when one of them is IN THE THUMB NAIL and arguably suffered the worst of any of them in the cyber-ization.

And then you have all the male heroes (AND female heroes) who were straight murdered.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Burkion posted:

Like, what are you trying to say with this?

My point is that this wasn't an actual historical event. The writers wrote it that way, including all of these conditions you've listed.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

KVeezy3 posted:

My point is that this wasn't an actual historical event. The writers wrote it that way, including all of these conditions you've listed.

Where the women are almost universally as hosed up as the men across the board? And we have pretty even gender body count which is rare to find?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

KVeezy3 posted:

I don't think there was any bias going on. Everyone got pretty hosed up.

[edit] If we want to get pedantic, Darkseid's furies are typically female. That's his/their thing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Like if you want to accuse the movie of something, do it. Don't poo poo around making vague notions about hey isn't this kind of weird

Because the answer is, no, there's nothing especially weird with how the sexes are treated. Women are not unusually targeted in this film more than the men were. It was pretty equal all the way down

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Burkion posted:

Like if you want to accuse the movie of something, do it. Don't poo poo around making vague notions about hey isn't this kind of weird

I wasn't trying to be cynical, I'm absolutely sure I know less about these animated films than most. I was just curious if I was the only one who felt that way.

teagone posted:

[edit] If we want to get pedantic, Darkseid's furies are typically female. That's his/their thing.

I didn't know that, that's actually pretty interesting.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 25, 2020

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

KVeezy3 posted:

I didn't know that, that's actually pretty interesting.

It's a unique thing in the movie to be sure. Darkseid's Furies are more commonly known as the Female Furies, an all woman military group under the control of Granny Goodness. They've been a thing as long as he has.

It's a kind of interesting thing about Darkseid. And to make it clear, it's not like they were treated differently- they were his main heavy hitters and power players, his most elite soldiers and Darkseid was a very asexual being for most of his existence.

Super Friends Darkseid being hard for Wonder Woman aside.

I remember being surprised Martian Manhunter and Hawkman were even still included when I first watched the movie because, outside of Star Fire I think? the rest of them had all been Furies before at one point or another.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Man the quality of the animation in that video is shocking. Did they slash the DC Animated Film budgets at some point?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Necrothatcher posted:

Man the quality of the animation in that video is shocking. Did they slash the DC Animated Film budgets at some point?

Oh my friend, welcome to the last ten years.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, all of the DCAMU movies have mediocre to bad animation. Non-DCAMU features that came out in parallel to/during the New 52 continuity releases like Assault on Arkham, JL: Gods and Monsters, and JL vs the Fatal Five are decent though, imo.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Though not the Killing Joke. That was...

Boy. That was a whole thing.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Burkion posted:

Though not the Killing Joke. That was...

Boy. That was a whole thing.

The word you're looking for is "garbage".

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Killing Joke is deffo the worst DC animated adaptation to date. Red Son comes close though imo. Just... oof.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The jacked up stuff that happens to like Wonder Woman or Starfire isn't particularly worse than what happens to Batman or Martian Manhunter.

But Zatanna and Lois both totally get fridged in the most by the book sense--their deaths being used to catapult the arc of a male character.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Timeless Appeal posted:

The jacked up stuff that happens to like Wonder Woman or Starfire isn't particularly worse than what happens to Batman or Martian Manhunter.

But Zatanna and Lois both totally get fridged in the most by the book sense--their deaths being used to catapult the arc of a male character.

Zatanna I can see, though you could argue the same for Damien for Raven (and Batman).

Lois not as much. She died on her own terms doing something important, it just also affected Superman because of who she was to him. Lois didn't die to motivate Superman into beating up Darkseid.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Come on man. Her last words are telling him to be strong and he magically turns back into normal Superman right after her death. Like there's still cool stuff there, it's an inverse of the Superman "You're stronger than you think" stuff. But recognizing tropes isn't about just disregarding stuff holistically, it's just what it is.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 26, 2020

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Timeless Appeal posted:

Come on man. Her last words are telling him to be strong and he magically turns back into normal Superman right after her death. Like there's still cool stuff there, it's an inverse of the Superman "You're stronger than you are stuff..." But recognizing tropes isn't about just disregarding stuff holisitcally, it's just what it is.

That's not what that trope means, though.

That's like saying any death of a woman that motivates someone else is fridging them, regardless of context. Context matters. Fridging someone is a cheap shock death meant to motivate the protagonist, often unnecessarily.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Burkion posted:

That's not what that trope means, though.

That's like saying any death of a woman that motivates someone else is fridging them, regardless of context. Context matters. Fridging someone is a cheap shock death meant to motivate the protagonist, often unnecessarily.
I think that we just disagree on this point.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's a weird hang up for me but I just feel really weird about Raven having gone from a contemporary with Dick to being a love interest for Damian.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Roth posted:

It's a weird hang up for me but I just feel really weird about Raven having gone from a contemporary with Dick to being a love interest for Damian.

Which wasn't even a thing in the New 52 as far as I'm aware. That was just a thing in this weird 15 movie continuity. Is Damien even a thing in whatever is going on in the comics now?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Burkion posted:

Which wasn't even a thing in the New 52 as far as I'm aware. That was just a thing in this weird 15 movie continuity. Is Damien even a thing in whatever is going on in the comics now?

He's leading Teen Titans right now, and for once it's not a rehash of the Marv Wolfman roster.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Sin City is on Netflix, so I watched it in probably the first time in a decade. A lot goofier than I remember, but still really enjoyable. Still think the Marv storyline is the best, especially Rutger Hauer talking about the divine gift of cannibalism. Also I forgot that the Dwight storyline is very clearly the Battle of Thermopylae. Frank Miller loves going back to that well.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

HBO Max went live today. Here's what they have in their DC section:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Everyone should watch Doom Patrol, it's fantastic.