Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
This is a trash thread for trash people.

Comic books are trash.

Comic book movies are even worse trash.

Comic book movie fans are the worst trash of all.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Guess we should never have movie trailers for anything ever.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Talked to a friend about Glass, the plot sounds loving terrible and that film seems like it sucks poo poo.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

DBS: Broly seems like it would be far more interesting/better than Glass.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Aces High posted:

I wonder if there is a way that they can work in saying "Captain Marvel" without getting sued

It doesn't matter if they could, they never would.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Nice to see Sorry To Bother You nominated for so many..... oh.....

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I love that they’re not even trying to pretend they’re not super human.

The F&F movies are the best super hero movies ever and MCU/DCEU wish they were 10% as good as the weakest F&F films.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Wait... the F&F movies literally have super powers now?

I really need to catch up on that franchise. What the hell?

Are you familiar with Dungeons & Dragons? You know how, generally half way through a campaign, you can take on a "prestige class"? That is what happened in F&F5.

Watch the F&F films and listen to the Giant Bomb "Film and 40s" companion commentary.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Sadly those words mean nothing to me.

Either way it definitely feels like I need to do a binge to figure out what the gently caress.

Are you familiar with Final Fantasy 1 at all? How thieves because ninjas. White mages become white wizards? Fast and Furious is kind of like that.

In F&F 1-4, they are all mostly normal people.

In F&F 5, Ludacris goes from being a guy that supes up cars to one of the world’s best computer hackers. Vin Diesel goes from being a leader of a street gang to basically a Captain America super soldier leading the Avengers. That sort of thing.

Also, for those that are unfamiliar with the series as a whole, the movies have a release order and a chronological order.

Movie 3, Tokyo Drift, actually takes place between movies 6 & 7.

The movies are loving fascinating and amazing and I could talk about them for loving ages.

F&F1 is exactly what it is. It’s a street racing and thieving movie.

F&F2 is a loving terrible movie and doesn’t even have Vin Diesel in it because he was off making the xXx movies because he thought that would be more successful. Despite being the worst film in the series, 2 is important for introducing a gently caress ton of characters that are important later. Though, when they were making this movie, they weren’t making it with the long term arc in mind.

F&F3 (Tokyo Drift) almost feels like a straight-to-dvd sequel. Not in quality, but because it doesn’t have any of the cast of the previous films.

F&F4 is the second worst film in the series. But it is still important because it is when you see the foundations of the transition to modern F&F films.

F&F5 is where poo poo gets WILD. Generally considered the best in the series. This was the film that made canon that Tokyo Drift is a future film because a character that died in Tokyo Drift is part of the crew here.

F&F6-8 all continue the tone of 5, but continue to ramp up the insanity.

If you’ve never watched the series, you’re doing yourself a loving disservice and missing out on one of the best modern film series.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Looks loving boring and it shot in the most bland loving way imaginable.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Can we just all agree that Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark both need to be put under the guillotine?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Looks like this thread is going to have a new Game of the Year -

https://twitter.com/9_volt_/status/1096057367547072519

The review is for.... Crackdown 3

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Someone do a movie fight between The Incredible Hulk returns and Thor: Ragnarok.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Speaking of video game movies, how bad of an idea would it to be to create a thread where we go through all wide-released video game films and watch them chronologically?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Surprised they don't adapt the more "Western" anime like Cowboy Bebop or Trigun.

I actually just started rewatching Trigun this past weekend and goddamn is that still a cool as gently caress show.

I know it's kind of cliche to say right now but Vash should be played by Ryan Reynolds.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Trigun is both simple and yet interesting enough to fit into a great film. Humanity is trapped on a desert hellworld, there's one lone super badass who fights against the despondency and selfishness that reigns in such a place, has an evil brother who also fights against all that except his solution is to just murder all the evil people, and so-on. Pretty interesting backstory and worldbuilding that is more in the manga but you can still do the stuff with Rem and seeing Knives lose his mind in a movie adaptation.

I think idealism in anime tends to be absolutely awful and unbelievable. Trigun alone really does it right because the idealism is embodied in this one poor sap named Vash the Stampede who is determined to make the desert hellworld a better place. He has the talent and the charisma to pull it off and not many anime protagonists (looking at you Naruto) do.

I think it could also work as either a single solo film or a set of 2-3 films.

Alternatively, just give it the Netflix/Amazon Prime treatment and just make it a miniseries.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Apocalypse is the poo poo cherry on top of a giant corn and poo poo cake that is known as the X Men movie universe.

Someone rank the Xmen films in comparison to the MCU films.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Mystique is good when she looks like a sexy alien.

Mystique is bad when she looks like a human painted blue.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Here's a question though....how old and how online are you?

Because I'm the same way, but I'm also 35 this year and [see regdate]. Whereas I know a lot of people under 30 and didn't live through the entire internet being that way for like a decade who are still totally all in on pop culture references and TJ Miller riffing dialogue.

I'm really had to please wrt comedy films to the point that I think that I've reached a point where films that advertise having a heavy comedy focus are immediately less interesting to me.

I thought both Deadpool films were intensely unfunny. I loving hated the Lego Movie (to the point that I almost wanted to walk out of the theater). But at the same time, I loving love me some Taika Waititi films and love poo poo like What We Do in the Shadows and Hunt for the Wilderpeople.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm sure it'd be very enjoyable if I had hands the size of of a 7 year olds.

Thus is a stupid post and you’re stupid for making this post.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Oh wow you mean I can spend more money to make my 300 dollar toy actually useable? That's amazing lmfao

Congrats. You're a loving idiot.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Burkion posted:

I want Disney to fail but that's because I loving hate Disney and what they do and how they are

So you know

It's hard because I want Disney to fail because gently caress that giant media conglomerate, but at the same time, I have a lot of friends that work for Disney in different capacities and I'm happy that they have reliable, well-paying work.

I hate the company, but wish success for the workers.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

if cineD was typical of your average movie-goer at all there wouldn't be a Marvel to make IW. This place is fringe, in both how much we care and how much we analyze.

While I think you're an idiot fairly often, this is one of the truest things you've ever said.

I mean, gently caress, even on SA, every other subforum makes fun of CD for being :spergin:

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Batman is in a ridiculous place right now and I have zero idea what you do while the spectre of the Nolan Trilogy still haunts the whole place. Like that just IS batman to a lot of people right now and trying to memory-hole it and slot him into the new DC universe tone is just confusing and bad.

Batman Beyond

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Fart City posted:

Just

Sending a pregnant lady into battle huh

Is she eternally pregnant? Or does she ever have that baby? If her character is eternally pregnant, is she just fat and pretending to be pregnant? It seems hellish to be stuck in an existence where you're pregnant forever.

I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS.

Cease to Hope posted:

not to ruin everyone's fun but it's fake

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

You should check kid's cartoons these days, this is not really that much worse than whatever random show on a kid's channel.

I went back and looked at Beast Wars recently. Granted, that show is over 20 years old now, but oof.

(also, big oof to the fact that the show is over 20 years old)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Klungar posted:

This was my biggest disappointment going back and revisiting childhood media. I wanted to show it to my son (I have all the DVDs), but the early days of CG have just aged so incredibly poorly that even I couldn't bear to sit through them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a3k2gH5PjE&t=202s

I think the thing that struck me when going back was realizing how loving barren the landscape is.

Like, I know this is supposed to take place during prehistoric times, but the landscape is literally just flat and featureless unless it is a plot-related feature.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Thanos’ plan doesn’t make sense because he’s a loving trauma survivor and it broke his brain. He’s not inherently evil. He’s just brokebrained.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

The MSJ posted:

All Jokers are gamers.

Depending on my mood any particular day, this meme can trigger the gently caress out of me.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Fried Watermelon posted:

Joker will kill himself at the end of the film

Ah, the Super Fire Prowrestling Special approach.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Finally got a chance to watch the Joker trailer and while I didn’t really have any interest in it before (I didn’t think it looked bad, I just generally have low interest in the Batman universe), I am 100% all in excited for this film. It looks loving incredible.

My only concern is how they handle the portrayal of mental illness in the film. From the trailer, it looked like a lot of focus on mental illness and that made me a little cautious.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

Probably not its gonna be another "bane representing occupy" to paint any kind of leftists ideology or critique as being nothing more than a manipulation of the masses by some tyrannical psycho.

The Joker film's message is that the real Joker is none other than Bernie Sanders.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Hellboy looks bad. Everything looks forced and Harbour looks like he’s struggling to move under 2 inches of prosthetics.

Side note: I wish I liked liked movies because Brightburn looks really interesting.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

It’s crazy how the biggest reveal about Endgame has been that Thanos is going to say gently caress. And then Cap is going to fight him because of that.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/Fandango/status/1115963892973236229

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Tag yourself.

I'm the confused looking Don Cheadle.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 12, 2019

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Did you know that the "One Perfect Shot" twitter account now posts trailers with no commentary/thoughts on them? Because they do. lol

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Tag yourself.

I'm the confused looking Don Cheadle.

I like how they’re all looking dramatically different directions. Someone draw the eyelines of each character.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Fun fact - my good friend's brother is married to Jeremy Renner's sister. Back when he and I used to be in the military together, Jeremy called up him and asked him a bunch of questions because my friend had deployed a few times via the military. I remember back at the time my friend told me "Yeah, he called me to ask some questions because he's filming this military movie set in the desert, I guess"

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Your friend helped that movie win best picture, probably.

No clue what he would have told him. "I'm a computer programmer. I spend all my time in a building."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I think this isn't something that comes up here overly often but I see it on other forums where the DCEU is considered the 'mature' of the two universes not because of themes or how it tackles subject matter but because it is (for lack of a better term) 'realistic' and 'gritty.' I think a lot of the negativity towards discussing Snyder stuff is impacted by that because the group who is basically like "Snyder is good because BATMAN SHOOTS A DUDE and SUPERMAN DIES" are a noticeable part of the mix, especially on forums that skew younger than SA.

I feel like this thread, the general public, and then general DCEU fans all have completely different opinions on what the qualities of the DCEU are.