Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Well you see it was originally supposed to be released April 13 2018 and Dark Phoenix was supposed to be released Nov 2 2018 but then New Mutants experienced "problems" and got pushed back to Feb 2 2019, then Fox went "Whoaaa, get Bohemian Rhapsody out the door!!" and moved it from Dec 25 back to Dark Phoenix's spot on Nov 2 and shoved Dark Phoenix forwards to Feb 14, but you can't release two X-Men films in the same fortnight so New Mutants got shoved wayyy back to August 2 2019 and then Dark Phoenix got moved back again to June 7 2019 when the trailers tracked well and they decided to move it up to Summer. Gotta chase those Chinese box office dollars, baby! (Gambit was originally supposed to take the June 7 slot but that didn't work out.)

Alita: Battle Angel ended up getting stuck with the Feb 14 2019 release date. It was originally supposed to be released on July 20 2018 but then got held back and was supposed to be the replacement for Bohemian Rhapsody's empty Christmas spot but that also didn't work out.

Fox ended up with a big empty slot for Christmas 2018 so they shoved the PG-13 version of Deadpool 2 in there which netted them the grand total of $6 million on the domestic box office. Oh well!

Films are locked into their release dates & distribution contracts a year in advance or something like that, everyone involved signed off on it a long time ago.

Interesting. Where do you read about this stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
The only thing that interests me about either of those movies are the directors. Batman in particular seems to have been re-trod so many times. What new thing is Matt Reeves going to bring to the table on it? But he’s a good director so we’ll see.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
I’m still kicking myself for not going to see Venom in theaters just because my coworker (and all the critics) said that it sucked.

Equeen posted:

Hot take: Venom had the potential to be this generation's Blade if wasn't held back by a PG-13.

Abolish the PG-13 rating. In a just world, things would be either PG or R.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 3, 2019

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Gatts posted:

I kind of want a Noir Batman to be Benecio Del Toro....but I have a fascination with Mads...maybe Jamie Foxx or Wesley Snipes in his prime...possibly Eva Green or Kate Blanchett

I just want an interesting performance with someone who can either do something unique with him or have this underlying menace. I also think it'd be funny to hear Jamie Foxx deliver the "I'm Batman." line cause I just know he'd have fun with that delivery.

Benecio Del Toro is awesome, but he just turned 52 today.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 20, 2019

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Cease to Hope posted:

what lesson are you hoping people would have learned

That Disney higher-ups should have deferred to Kevin Feige, since if they had they wouldn’t have wasted millions canceling a movie in pre-production for absolutely nothing.

Also any way you slice it I think Disney were mega-cowards about this. They fired Gunn within 24 hours of Mike Cernovich digging up his tweets and calling him a pedophile, and refused to rehire him even after the media called it out as a politically-motivated hit job and the cast vouched for him and asked for him to be reinstated. Then later after WB hired Gunn and received virtually no backlash for it, then Disney wanted him back because he turned out to not be easy to replace. So at that point they rehired him, thus making it obvious that they never had any actual moral qualms about Gunn’s tweets and were only ever concerned about the potential bad press from them.

Burkion posted:

Also, Gunn, you loving idiot, just walk away. Let them firing you MEAN something. Don't hop back on the moment they offer you the exact same job that they took away from you FOR NOTHING. It's an unenviable position but one that you should have loving taken man.

Instead, welcome back to the House of Mouse.

Leave 50% of all creative freedom at the door and don't worry about the action scenes

We'll handle those for you

I think anyone representing Gunn would have told him to take the job back. He’s is trying to fight off a (at least at one time) widespread rumor that he is an actual loving pedophile. He was considered a disgraced director and I remember seeing a Washington Post article right after he was fired saying that his career as a mainstream filmmaker was completely over. Disney completely reversing course and rehiring him is basically an admission that they were wrong to fire him in the first place.

And Gunn genuinely has reason to be grateful to the cast. They really stuck their necks out for him, especially Bautista, when they could have just as easily publicly said nothing and privately asked Disney to hurry up and hire a new director so they wouldn’t screw up their filming schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Personally my first thought on watching the teaser trailer was “This will be interesting, even if it’s a failure.” Like, I feel like no matter what it’s going to be an interesting movie, even if it winds up not working on some fundamental level.