Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Yeah, I use the term “performative wokeness” because I want to emphasize that “wokeness” is a good concept, it’s just that the accused is being completely insincere and will drop it as soon as it becomes inconvenient.

“Woke washing” takes from “white washing,” which is a criticism of a group being too white. You wouldn’t criticize something for being too woke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Welcome, fellow trash.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Yeah, that’s the difficulty of it. Trump and his fans have been accusing every bit of negative news of being “fake news” for so long it’s easy to forget it’s a term first popularized by liberals about a legitimate concern. But that’s still why I’m not a fan of “wokewashing” - it is way too easy to co-opt. Angry nerds who spend all their time screaming on the internet about women in Ghostbusters and Battlefield have adopted the phrase “go woke go broke” to try and reinforce their idea that playing to leftist sensibilities goes against the public opinion (while ignoring the hundred other times the opposite happened.) “Woke” is a term used simultaneously as a compliment by the left and an insult by the right, but still essentially means the same thing - so “woke washing” can easily be spun into an insult by the right to describe an IP turning more progressive to the anger of losers. “Performative wokeness” is much more direct about the issue - there’s wokeness there, but it’s not because the person espousing it actually believes these things, they just want to fit in with a crowd.

Anyways, I will follow all this by saying that it doesn’t actually matter what specific words people use and I’ll be able to easily tell what they mean through context, also Captain Marvel looks like crap and I’m sick of the MCU hoovering up good talented actors and filmmakers to make garbage for the next five to ten years of their life.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Well, most of that is masonry stuff and other things. The broken chain is a suicide prevention thing, and I don’t think it’s a big revelation that Snyder’s ideas probably had Darkseid making omega symbols. It doesn’t really have any secret codes or anything on it, it’s just an over complicated and ugly design. But it’s for a good cause, so gently caress it, y’know?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I’ll always remember the lesson taught to me by a guy who barely ever interacted with me except to yell at me for wanting to use my powers.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I’m not willing to harp on the bedroom stuff just yet, the skyline out the window could be yet to be replaced or at a bad angle and a change in furniture isn’t that big of a deal. There are plenty of things to poo poo on MCU Spider-Man for.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Every one of these navel-gazing film appreciation social media pages sucks rear end.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Logan was cool but I don’t think it’s fair to put it anywhere in the same league as The Dark Knight. X-24 was exceedingly lame.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

MelancholyMark posted:

Read this as X-23 at first and was ready to fight

Hell no, she owned.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Almost Blue posted:

I'm almost certain that footage is from costume tests to see how they'll look on camera with different lighting. Weird that they released it as a teaser.

The Joker teaser-that’s-really-just-a-costume-test did really well on the internet, so it makes sense they’d wanna do it here too. With that in mind, I do love the new designs. And I agree the lighting sucks but if that editing and song (even if it’s licensed) are any indication of where this movie’s going, I’m down.

And I love that title. It’s such a weird thing for someone to like about a movie, but what a good title.

I bounced hard off of Aquaman because I hate his post-Whedon characterization and I have no hype for Shazam for the same reason, but Birds of Prey is definitely exciting.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

Didn't James Wan say that he specifically ditched Whedon's conception of Aquaman?

I don’t know. Did he?

I should clarify that I haven’t seen Aquaman and I’m basing that off the trailers. As soon as he was like “Permission to come aboard? :smug:” I was out.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
How big is your typical Netflix movie budget? It’s an obvious constraint on their original serials, so I’m a little worried about what a Snyder Netflix movie would look like. But Snow Steam Iron was great, so...

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Suicide Squad’s box office numbers were the definition of noteworthy.

That thing stayed in theaters for like two months.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Sir Kodiak posted:

Right, but that's on Matthijs van Heijningen, the director who considered including it. Not the who had nothing to do with it but is still blamed by the twitter dipshit.

This is exactly io9's strategy - because Snyder was just a producer on the 2011 version but will be director on the 2019 version, they can label both as "Snyder's Army of the Dead" so they can pin the bullshit of the 2011 director on him, which creates an amazing bizarro world scenario where io9 is accusing Snyder of being a rape-loving creepo despite the rape going away as he took over.

It's perfectly in line with io9's typical MO.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Equeen posted:

wasn't this retconned in civil war, with only like 70 people dying in that battle?

I believe the reasoning was that “hundreds” were killed total while 70-something were killed indirectly through the Avengers’ own actions.

It’s still pretty funny that a massive alien armada turning all of NYC into a war zone is less lethal than nineteen people on a few planes.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It’s always great when someone tries to admit they didn’t pay attention to a movie to try and slight its inherent quality and just reveal they don’t actually know what they’re talking about instead.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

After the fun opening the movie was too boring to keep my attention for more than a few moments here and there :shrug:

Was this post supposed to do anything other than prove my point?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It was also incredibly obvious just from interviews and press junkets that Affleck was supremely pissed about everyone ignoring Live by Night’s actual release in favor of discussing a Batman movie that may or may not happen.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
YouTube should have an automatic script that just deletes your entire channel if you ever upload a video titled “The Problem With _________”

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Shame, I think he’d be pretty good actually.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Can we re name this the Snyder thread

There already is a Snyder thread, one which you incessantly cheerleaded, and it didn't work because it was a dumb idea in the first place. But feel free to continue trying to start fights with almost every post you make and then crying toxicity when you inevitably get dunked on.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Feb 23, 2019

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I’m honestly bothered by Thor’s stance in that shot more, it’s really awkward. He could at least have his hand on Thano’s shoulder or something.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

So these discussions always revolve around MCU and DCEU.

What is everyone's favorite comic book movie from before those were a thing? So many people act like comic book movies only got good in the late 2000s.

And here I am, loving The Crow, Ang Lee's Hulk and Sin City....

Ghost World.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Aces High posted:

didn't Rotten Tomatoes have a countdown for the release of their "highly anticipated" critic score for Justice League? Like through their official twitter and everything?

They’ve done that for a few movies now.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
This used to be a post about The Social Network before I realized I had posted it in the completely wrong thread. Everyone laugh at me!

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The alt-right and the GOP are two distinct groups that nonetheless mutually benefit from one another, though the alt-right’s goal is to eventually swallow the GOP whole.

The GOP doesn’t even mind, they’re a bunch of geezers here to live it up and then die before the consequences hit.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I still hate the new direction of the DCEU but if there’s a DC superhero that has to be handled comedically it’s probably Shazam, so... Iunno. If I’m not doing anything else that weekend, maybe.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Fortnite is terrible on the Switch, it’s basically there because Chance the Rapper wanted it and then it became a meme.

It’s a glorious haven for indie games though, mainly due to its portable factor and Nintendo finally chilling out about their policies on them. I still laugh about how Binding of Isaac wasn’t even allowed on the 3DS at first and now it’s one of the biggest games on the Switch.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

RatHat posted:

I feel like Widow needs to upgrade from a pistol. That's not gonna do anything to Thanos even without the gauntlet.

Insisting that Widow is useful while constantly trying and failing to give her new gimmicks is the best running gag of the MCU.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Martman posted:

Also this is Hollywood. If saying offensive poo poo years ago is the worst Gunn has done, then he's probably among the best of the powerful dudes.

Yeah, Gunn told some pretty abhorrent jokes a while ago, and I’m not one of those people who believes you shouldn’t be allowed to get offended at comedy, but they were also obviously jokes. It’s a far cry from what, like, Kevin Hart did. Or Cernovich himself.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
He also claimed to have leaked the test footage himself, though that may have been “look how relatable our star is” PR fluff.

It’s easy to forget nowadays when Deadpool is one of the biggest things in culture, but back before the movie hit Reynolds’ career was presumed dead for some time. Even now he pretty much only does the straight-man’s comedic foil because all the times he didn’t do that were before he was saved by the spandex.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

:psyduck:

How am I the first to call him out on this

Enough time has passed, and inflation is bad enough, since the beginning of the $15 minimum wage movement that it’s really more up to $18 now.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Lord co-wrote and Miller produced, the rest was all on SPA people. Amazing what enthusiastic artists can do when you don’t saddle them with the loving Emoji Movie.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
We have the resources to reasonably support up to about 17 billion people on the Earth.

The problem has never been overpopulation. It’s been the same thing that makes America throw out 45% of the food it produces and have more empty homes than homeless people. It starts with a c and ends with apitalism.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I can do a 3 hour movie without peeing but I have to go like right before hand.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I am much less concerned about piss breaks and much more about just being able to get up and stretch after sitting down for 2+ hours.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Daddy Thanos posted:

Ant Man can't go up Thanos' rear end because Thanos is a top

Welcome back, Question Friend.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'll cop to thinking Avengers would be a disaster because it looked like poo poo.

I officially stopped predicting what the first flop of the MCU would be when my like third guess was Ant-Man 1 and it still made a gazillion.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Adding new VFX is basically the easiest part of filmmaking to do after the fact, though, provided the groundwork for it already exists (and it sounds like it all does). If they release it, I highly doubt they'll just release what they already have; they'll touch it up and make it look nice first, because there's very clearly enough demand for that to be worth the cost (also, y'know, JL was a pretty big embarrassment for them and "hey there was actually a good movie hiding here" is a good way to turn that around).

I don’t think you’re aware who Robot Style is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Here’s my hot take on the Joker trailer: it uses the exact same typeface as the trailer for Fincher’s The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, which is the best movie trailer ever made, and I couldn’t stop thinking about that and getting disappointed instead.