Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Fart City posted:

He was raised by an average protestant midwest farm couple. I imagine, deep at heart, Superman just wants to go to a barn dance, marry the first woman he kisses, and eat lots of tater tot casseroles.

superman is a great character because he is simultaneously this person and also a commie pinko liberal big-city journalist, and only by their powers combined can he become captain planet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Jose Oquendo posted:

I swear to god I'm not trolling, but what about Thanos is a genuine achievement?

man is big and purple

this is the same degree of boundary-pushing as, uh, gollum, who actually did deserve an academy award and received several

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

i think the ragnarok shot is good but for basically exactly the opposite reason it'd be posted by a twitter like One Perfect Shot.

it's a very deliberately undersold reaction shot that fits waititi's dry humour. these people are in the middle of a very swelling speech about hope and rebirth, then surtr fuckin' mercs asgard and it's just a quiet "oh. never mind, then."

ragnarok is probably the best mcu film just on the weight that it has a recognisable direction at all, even if it's wonky and still probably waititi's worst film.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

There's also another difference between having a space station that holds prisoners in either suspended animation or another dimension (all the superman stories are sort of vague on this), and having a space ship that can fly to other solar systems

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

*kramers into the thread at top speed* did someone say cinematic universes are dumb? because they are

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Shazam seems to be a very deliberate anti-Man of Steel, right up to the main character flailing around using his powers like a moron and having to save a bus because of it, and I think that's extremely cool and good

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Oh wow you mean I can spend more money to make my 300 dollar toy actually useable? That's amazing lmfao

you already have to spend money to make your 300 dollar toy usable because the games are sold separately?

is the concept of loss leading a mystery to you or

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

It seems fairly obvious that everybody comes back at the end of the movie, when Thano has been defeated, by the application of some sort of 'sacrifice play'. For maximum irony points it will be Captain America performing said play.

Mostly this thematic choice is not well considered seeing as the vocally against-sacrificing-people person is the one literally willing to throw himself on top of a grenade, rather than the heavily traumatised man-child who wears a suit of armor to protect himself from the world

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Hrrrnnggh Avengers, I'm trying to collect the Infinity Stones but I'm dummy thicc and the clap of my rear end cheeks keeps wiping out half the life in the universe

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

thanos roast party

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

gamora should maybe have said 'infinite power and all you can think about is death' instead of 'you're insane'

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

being a brooding renegade philosopher who no one understands is cool and good, actually, it's the murder that's bad

exhibit a: zizek

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Logan is too creatively risky for disney because it had an ending that was intentionally antithetical to being made into a sequel

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

I'm half convinced some executive producer watched that youtube video about how the MCU didn't have any 'hummable' themes and then mandated that they really heavily market the Avengers theme so people would start remembering it

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Crying because of the meta-experience of a series ending is lame because it's having your emotional responses to things manipulated for the sake of profit.

Crying because the dog dies or the man is sad is fine.

You might even say that the truth is in the middle :smug:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

"imagine not having empathy" :irony:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Nobody who doesn't live in SF knows about any bridges that aren't the Golden Gate. Reality is the first casualty of film making.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There was actually a BTAS episode about the warden of Arkham Asylum going full fascist and Batman having to take him down.

that implies that it's possible to be the warden of arkham asylum and not already be a fascist

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't it the new woke version of 'ebonics'?

It's the proper terminology for a distinct and interesting vernacular worth studying.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Superman would build a gun that shot schools into underserved communities

you're right, black panther is superman

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

the youtube man who made that 'how to subvert expectations correctly' video which won't stop appearing on my youtube recommendations actually quite dislikes how infinity war treated thor and favorably compared luke's treatment in the last jedi to it, which was kinda funny

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Yeah, Harry Potter and the Portrait of What Looked Like a Large Pile of Ash is a gem, but do keep in mind that all of these are rigorously worked over by people to make them somewhat coherent.

There's a similar project with the acronym 'gpt' that I can't find right now that uses machine learning on a given prompt that produces remarkably coherent content, but the example I want to post is eluding me at the moment.

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 14, 2019

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

still in awe at getting sears to pay for product placement in your movie and then have their one appearance be a sad, decrepit middle america town with one sears and nothing else

(no, wait, it has an ihop too!)

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

I think my favourite shot from that twitter thread is the one of the black hole from Interstellar, because it uses the same techniques of high contrast and extreme distance, except you can actually see the focus of the shot.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

there's also a much less bad version of that plotline where superman goes and picks a fight with the wizard shazam - even though, being a wizard, he could snap his fingers and turn superman into a chicken, because he's useless against magic - after he learns that the hero shazam is just a little kid that some rear end in a top hat wizard told to save the world all by himself

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

The SuperSuit Crafting System is supposed to play out like "here's what Pete can do with limitless resources! His genius unshackled" but part of the charm of Holland's Pete was that he was scraping by on Macintosh Classic dumpster scavenged poo poo and maybe his smarts were part of constantly having to make due.
It kind of reeked of Gates style "Give the poor kids iPads and they will code themselves into the upper middle class!"

[black panther slowly creeps out of the frame, only to step on a rake that hits it in the face]

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

the toad being struck by lightning line continues to both baffle and deeply amuse me in equal parts

like surely toad should say "uhhhh it croaks?" and then you have storm dismissively respond with the antipunchline? but at the same time it's so matter-of-factly unfunny that it loops back around to being funny again

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

[looks at all the futures where tony stark keeps the infinity stones] jesus christ. uhhh yeah you have to die in order to save the universe. don't ask questions.

e: i was about to ask 'wait do the infinity stones literally just disappear' but then i remembered captain america takes them back in time/space and nobody stops to consider if there might be problems with this, or anything else the infinity stones might be useful for

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Away all Goats posted:

You should maybe not agree with Thanos

'The ends justify the means' is a bad idea because there's a problem with the means. The infinity stones are the least problematic means in existence, given that their user is basically omnipotent. Thanos is wrong because his ends are loving moronic and his application of the means is even moreso.

Like, if the movie indicated that using the stones was conceptually a bad idea, I could see a (flawed but at least sensible) 'sanctity of nature' argument, where fiddling with the universe is wrong, but the movie doesn't do that, because they solve their problems exactly the same way the villain creates them. Not to mention the midway point of the film where Thanos destroys the stones and the universe is fine.

The only difference between Thanos using the stones to destroy the stones and the Avengers putting them back where they found them is the former being an ending, in a franchise that seeks to continue forever, while the latter leaves things open-ended so they can keep making more movies.

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 8, 2019

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

infinity war resorts to hollow name-calling in order to try and criticise its fascist protagonist, because the antagonist tony stark is already 'thanos, but not an rear end in a top hat', and being-an-rear end in a top hat is the thing that's worthy of criticism in the mcu, not the fascism

see also how thor fails to kill thanos because he's a jerk who wants thanos to suffer, rather than because of anything thanos does

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yes, you could actually make a movie around this entire premise. The threat of mind-control and the inability to tell if someone is acting under their own will or someone else implemented at a society-wide level is a legit cool premise that I don't *think* has been really explored.

yeah i haven't actually thought through all the implications but it seems pretty obvious to me that 'mind control' in fiction is narrative shorthand for a convincing argument.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

everyone in gotham city loves milkshake bat, the bat who loves milkshakes! [5 seconds later] we regret to inform you that the bat's mother is named martha

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

This is just the inevitable result of it being socially acceptable for grown rear end adults to read/watch/consume poo poo that is essentially for 12 year olds.

on the other hand, this is an actual case of 'let people enjoy things'.

the thing that i enjoy is relentlessly criticising the medium that other people are enjoying, but that's why i'm here and not yelling on twitter about how things for 12 year olds are unacceptable for not-12 year olds to like

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

do the red superman / blue superman split again but this time it's three ways and they're truth, justice, and the american way

the american way is the bad guy

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

It was a pretty good set-up for her abandoning mankind. Oh well.

I'm not sure if I should be sad that we didn't get a WW2 WW movie. On the one hand, her Indina Jonesing around could have been fun, on the other hand it'd be a demi-god dicking around on some adventure while the Holocaust happens.

if i had to guess, gadot and/or her agent(s) explicitly ruled out anything based on world war 2 that wasn't specifically focused on, you know, the genocide of her people, and the studio wasn't willing to touch that because how on earth do you do that right

or they just explicitly ruled out anything based on world war 2 at all. who knows!

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

K. Waste posted:

Well you’ve cracked the nut: there is no such thing as a “purely female” society. This mythopoeic conception of essentialist femininity only exists as a function of critiquing patriarchy, and thus can not actually square the circle of what a “purely female” society would look like.

And, yes, in Jenkins’ films, Diana is decidedly unconcerned with women’s liberation... or anybody’s liberation, really. And why would she? She has nothing in common with “common women.” She can only patronize. And, tellingly, the big baddie representing hegemonic masculinity attempts to leverage that, and largely succeeds.

something something arwen something something dark and beautiful queen something something.

e: might be eowyn. i can't remember the names of elves

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

this cinematic universe is dedicated to the brave mujahideen fighters of afghanistan

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

it's a reagan quote

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

yeah it's worth remembering that the x-men, fantastic four and spider-man all blew the various avengers out of the water until the MCU started. Thor had some name recognition from being a literal pre-existing character, but Iron Man was the sort of not-super-niche-but-not-recognised character along the lines of the Flash.

turns out 'lex luthor, but attractive and the protagonist' is actually just what audiences wanted all along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Pizza time